0 comments

General

I have no idea why I decided to go to the grocery store tonight. I swear I have the worst sense of timing sometimes. It’s freezing ‘my bones are aching another friendly reminder that I am in my 40,S . I may as well just get this over with as I speak to myself. Just get this over with girl!

My body is saying where are you going? Seriously! Butmy fridge is saying you better just go . Just be quick about it. The grocery store is only 7 minutes away but the weather is crap! Never mind just go. Following my instincts something was saying just go just go. I get to the grocery store fairly quickly despite the weather looking like it’s getting worse.Onlly a few people like myself checking out as I enter. Check my list eggs, bread,non dairy yogurt, non dairy milk, water and I am out. I guess they must be closing early because I see above that the lights are being turned off . Ok good enough for me. Check out time. Hmmm why does it seem am the onlyondatt the check out! Whatever anyways thank goodness for self choosy. I cash my items move quickly to the door and the door is locked.

You have got to be KiddMe right now. Don’t panic don’t panic. I slowly start checking each door all are locked. Don’t panic . I call my house and get my mom and tell her I am locked in the grocery store. At least the phone works. How did I get locked in this store. I didn’t hear them announce anything. I call my best friend who lives on the other side of Town but she is resourceful and she will get me help. First thing she said is girl you know you have along wait right! There is a serious storm coming and it’s already hit her area and is moving through mine. I call my fiancé to let him know I am trapped because I know he will be wandering where I am although he is stuck on the highway. Okay I try to comfort myself a bit everyone knows s where I am and technically lly I am only 7 minutes away from home. Okay. Relax Relax.

while in the phone I kept hearing a light crying sound close to the donation bin but I thought it was my nerves. Why am I still hearing this noise. I give myself a mini pep talk to go an investigate I look at the side of the donation box and I see a car seat and I get closer and the light crying my goodness it’s a baby. There’s no way this could be happening. I start to panic and shake I have 49 percent on my phone and call 911 . I was calm before I got on the phone but as soon as I heard the voice of dispatch I became hysterical yelling I am locked in the store with a baby not my baby someones baby oh my goodness could someone have left this angel by the donation box on purpose. No they couldn’t have. I realized at that moment that the voice that was telling me to go out even though I probably could have waited until the storm pass was my own angel sending me to the aide of this baby blessing.

I forgot for a moment that I was still on the phone. Mam mam are you ok. We are sending The firefighters to your aide as we are experiencing high volume of calls. Relief. I feel relief now that help is on the way.

Ok focus I take the baby out of the car seat and cradle him in my arms. I never Dreamt that I would get locked in a grocery store. This is nuts. Anyway I check for a bottle and it’s warm hmmmm I walk with my new friend checking each isle row by row to see if I am really alone. I am indeed alone. Ok I am going to make do to focus on this little guy. I get a bottle of water and a baby soother and a stuffed toy. Surprisingly he is not really fussy he must know it will freak me out. I go into the furniture section of the store and I sit with the baby. I have no idea what his name is . So I just started calling him Blessing. All the time I am walking up and down the isles the dispatcher is on the line with me telling me don’t worry Help is on The way. Help is in the way. So me and Blessing sat in the furniture isle waiting for help. Although I was the adult I felt strength that I never felt in my life from someone who was less than 20 pounds. This was my first realization of what a miracle feels like. Oh my goodness I hear the fire truck. I have never been so happy to hear sirens in my life. I pick up Blessing we move towards the front door. A bunch of firefighters move towards the door while we watch and break the door. This feels like a movie. With in minutes they are right beside us.The dispatch still on the phone I let her know help hS arrived. She said thank you mam for remaining calm. I thanked her for being there she made me feel safe Even though she was on the phone. one of the firefighters took the baby from my arms just to check him and I was wandering what would happen to him. I asked if I could keep him just in case but they said no mam he will be fine. I said a prayer for him . One of the firefighters said someone would get me home because the snow was now severe. I still lost track of the snow all I could think was what’s going to happen to Blessing now.

July 26, 2020 23:52

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.