0 comments

Fantasy Fiction Romance

In the highest level of heaven, sat a throne made of light which emanated light reaching all corners of creation. The one who sat on this throne bore the name of “Ancient One.” Through this light, the Ancient One could see all of creation to work with it. On this day, the Ancient One sat there looking down on the earth with a concerned facial expression. 

An angel who stood next to Him asked, “Something wrong Lord?”

Speaking to the angel, He said, “Tonight I feel an angst coming from the planet that is screaming loud compared to the others. Go see who is it?”

A short while later, an angel returned to report. The angel said, It’s a man called Herbert. He feels his life advanced as high as it can go. He realizes he is stuck and believes he heads to rock bottom..”

The Ancient One stroked his chin and said,”We’ll see if we can help him.”

Later that same night, Herbert sat on the edge of his bed going over the accomplishments he had from that day, which didn’t take long. As a handsome, outgoing, physically fit man, Herbert enjoyed a measure of success in middle management at a prosperous company in a good size mid America town. His smile opened doors easily. Unkempt brown hair cursed his appearance but people overlooked it. Yet he felt unfilled in work and troubled as younger workers rose above him, Herbert being a middle aged person in mid management. To make matters worse, his girl friend said she needed distance, whatever that was. He believed something needed a new direction but he had no clue what.

Late that night Herbert had a sudden explosion of inspiration and he said, “Tomorrow, I change,” for the seven hundredth time. Tomorrow being Monday, it stood as the eternal day to begin a new life and fail. The next morning, full of a typical enthusiasm that comes from repeated failure, Herbert hurried outside to get the morning paper. Running out the front door into the cold, he tripped over a small brown mass next to the door. Laying sprawled on the ground, he thought that wasn’t there yesterday. This wasn’t a good way to begin his new beginning sprawled on the cold ground in the front yard. Sitting up, the brown mass has huge brown eyes and a tail trying to wag. A quivering puppy lay close to the front door seeking warmth from inside the house.

Herbert walked to the puppy saying “Shoo! Go away! I am on a mission that has no room for a puppy.” He nudged the puppy with his foot, but she rolled over for a belly rub and looked up at him with the pathetic look puppies have. 

“Oh great,you’re a female! If you only knew the luck I had with females you would leave,” Herbert said. He nudged her again, this time the puppy let out a yelp. Herbert took a good look at the puppy and saw the cuts and bruises on her body. She looked so pitiful and hungry. Herbert was not the greatest dog lover around but something about this puppy touched him. He went inside and grabbed a towel to wrap the puppy for warmth. He called a vet close by to see if he could see the puppy today. The vet said yes if he got there soon.

Arriving at the vet’s office, the vet took one look at the puppy and rushed the dog inside. 

“’Come with me,” The vet said. “I’m surprised the puppy is still alive.” Taking the puppy to an exam table, the puppy laid her head on Herbert’s hand which rested on the exam table. The puppy’s head stayed there through every shot and bandage. A bond developed between man and dog over the next ninety minutes as the vet worked.

Seeing the puppy’s head on Herbert’s hand, “It looks like you found a friend, Mr. Herbert,” the vet said. “I will give you a deal on shots and a starter kit of food and a dog bed since it seems she claimed you today.”

Herbert replied in shock, “It never occurred to me to take the puppy home.” At that moment the puppy raised a paw and laid it beside her head on Herbert’s hand. 

“Maybe it didn’t occur to you, but I’d say the puppy made up her mind,” laughed the vet.  

Herbert looked down at the puppy, burst out laughing and said, “I think you’re right. I hope I have better luck with a female dog than I have with actual women.” Moments later, Herbert walked from the vets office laden with meds, a bed, food. Somewhere in that mess lay a puppy. The trip home became filled with unexpected thoughts and ideas about a man and his dog. Playing catch, fetch and tons of cuddling filled Herbert’s dreams as he pulled into the driveway. 

His neighbor stopped working outside as Herbert’s car came to a stop in the driveway.Herbert rolled down his window and asked Sam, the neighbor, to help him unload. From the car, Sam took the bed and food. Herbert took the puppy and meds into the house. Herbert used gentleness to lay the puppy into the bed who soon fell into a deep sleep.

Sam stood beside Herbert and exclaimed, “What a beautiful dog! Where did you get it and how much?”

Herbert answered, “I found her laying beside the door. She was in pretty bad shape. At the vet’s office, he looked for a dog tag and a chip identifying the owner but found none. He said if anyone came looking for the puppy, he’d give me a call.”

“Well it looks like you have a new friend! Sam answered. “Have you named her yet?”

“No, but I was thinking about Molly,like the ‘Unsinkable Molly Brown,’ Herbert said. “As she lay by the door, I had no idea how sick she was until I reached the vet. He said it had to be a miracle she lived when I brought her into the office. It’s a miracle she survived treatment.”

“The dog is gorgeous!” Sam said. “Consider yourself lucky!”

“ She has a chip and tag now in case she runs away,” Herbert said. Now that you mention it, she has a gorgeous red tint to her fur. She is also loves to cuddle.” Tonight will be my first night not living alone. I’m excited.”

***

That night, Herbert used great care to put Molly into her bed. He placed the bed close to his so he could hear if she needed anything. This didn’t last long as Molly whined all night. Herbert moved her bed onto his bed so she would feel safe. Later that night, he felt something warm on the sheets. Fearing the worst, he moved his hand seeking a wet warm spot. With much relief, his hand felt the warm spot was Molly cuddled against him. Little did he know that this sleeping arrangement never changed. 

Over a period of weeks, Herbert grew accustomed to a constant companion. At first Molly’s constant presence annoyed him. Almost tripping over her scared him. With time He realized how isolated he became over the years. Sharing the house with unending affection and attention shocked him. He became frustrated with the lack of privacy. One day, it struck him , he realized how exciting life became since Molly arrived. Living alone seemed like an ideal situation. Now he understood there was much more to life. He began to look forward to the wagging, jumping greeting at the door when he walked in from work. Herbert even felt reassurance at night when he felt the warm lump against him in bed. Taking care of the puppy brought meaning to Herbert’s weary life.

Herbert discovered Molly had a different side one day. One day, his on-again off-again girl friend dropped by and complained, “I haven’t heard from you in several weeks. What have you been doing? Molly came into the room and her reaction to the girlfriend both shocked and amused Herbert. Molly snarled and bared her teeth at the girlfriend before barking non stop.

“Get this dog away from me, now!’ the girlfriend screamed. Herbert burst out laughing at the girlfriend’s reaction.

“Don’t tell me you’re afraid of five pounds of puppy?” Herbert asked. He picked Molly up and held her until she calmed down. “Would you like to hold Molly? She is an incredible puppy. Here, take her and see.” As Herbert held Molly out for the girlfriend to take, vibrating in Molly’s ribs told Herbert she growled at the girlfriend. The girlfriend backed away surprised and angry.

“Get the dog away from me,” She complained.” Even still in Herbert’s arms, Molly still growled at the woman.

Herbert apologized saying, “Molly spends time with plenty of people. I have never seen her even whimper at another person.”

The girlfriend sniffed at him and said, “Well, it’s either me or the dog. You choose. I won’t come here and be harassed by that dog.” Striking a defiant pose, she looked at Herbert while she waited for an answer.

Herbert looked around his apartment , noticing how nice the apartment looked.No unfolded clothes on furniture, no dishes stacked on tables. A can of dust spray and a rag showed a house dusted for once. Plants occupied places in the sun, giving the house a fresh glow.Herbert loved buying plants, some for decoration and some for Molly to destroy. Looking at his girlfriend, he realized the good changes happening since Molly arrived and the girlfriend stayed away.

With a confident smile, Herbert looked at the girlfriend and said, “Goodbye.”

Shock framed her face when she realized Herbert’s choice. “You’re choosing the mutt over me? How dare you! Let me tell you something.”

Before she could finish, Herbert said, “The front door is behind you. Be sure to close it as you leave.”

The girlfriend screeched at him, “Do you have any idea what you’re giving up for that dog?”

Herbert replied, “Yes, I do. You can leave.”

The door slammed so hard, the glass broke as she left. Herbert looked at the door wondering if he did the right thing. At that moment, Molly covered his face with licks.

“It seems you understood what happened. Come on, Let’s watch some T.V.,” Herbert said.

* * *

Later that night, while Herbert slept soundly,  snowed flakes of light fell over the bed. A being emerged from the body of the puppy, stood and allowed the light shower to bath her in light. Wings exploded from her back preparing her to fly. Molly, now an angel with long reddish hair and a tall body as Molly’s long full red hair and long body. Hesitating before she lifted skyward, she bent over and gave Herbert a quick kiss on the cheek and flew. Flying into the heavens she passed through layer after layer of heaven till she appeared before a massive throne of light. 

He resembled an ancient man with a long flowing beard and hair. His white robe crumpled around his body. His smile radiated light and kindness. Molly, the angel, came forward to kneel before the throne. 

“I know why I’m here Lord,” the angel said. “I was instructed to restrain my feelings toward Herbert and I failed. I care for him very much.”

“That is obvious,” the ancient one said. “I must admit, it was entertaining to see the girlfriend recoil from your snarls. I agree Herbert is better off with her gone, but you being the means of her leaving puts us in a bind. How do I deal with your growing feeling for Herbert and the original assignment of you only bringing new life to his existence? He prayed for something new for ages. You achieved this with him but what to do with your feelings?”

Sadness brought tears to the angel’s eyes with recognition of what had to come. “Permission to return Lord,” She said

“Permission granted,” The ancient one said. As she walked out she felt like she would never see Herbert again. At the throne,a smile crossed the ancient one’s face. He summoned another angel to him and they began talking and plotting.

* * *

Herbert woke the next morning to the sound of the phone ringing. Molly slept next to him without waking. As Herbert talked on the phone, a look of sadness crossed his face.

“Yes, I understand. I’m on my way,” Herbert said. He woke Molly and said to her, “I hate to say this, but it’s time for you to return home.” Molly cuddled against him like she always did. She licked the tear that fell down his cheek. After dressing and feeding Molly,Herbert loaded all of the dog stuff into his car. He picked Molly up and gave her a long hug. Placing her into the car next to him, he slowly drove to the vet’s office. Arriving,Molly looked out the window to see where they were. Molly began jumping and barking with excitement. Herbert looked to see why she barked so excited. A little girl, seeing Molly in the car, jumped from her car to began running and squealing toward Herbert’s car. 

Hearing the girl’s excitement Herbert opened the door to see what happened. He heard the girl cry, “Momma, it’s Suzy! He found Suzy.” Molly, seeing the girl, jumped to the ground and ran into the little girls arms. Laughter, squealing and hugging filled the parking lot. Herbert looked dejected realizing the vet found the owner of Molly.

A woman with long reddish hair the same shade as Molly and as tall as Molly was long walked up to the car. She introduced herself with a firm shake of the hand and said, “I am Cassandra and this is Mary my daughter. She and I looked for Suzy so hard when she ran away chasing a squirrel. Mary cried for days. After weeks passed, we gave up. The vet called us yesterday, after he saw a poster we put up looking for Suzy. We are so grateful for you taking care of her and bringing her to us.”

Herbert said with sadness, “I have enjoyed your dog so much. I hate to see her leave. I have all of the pet supplies the vet gave me that you’re welcome to take. Thank you for lending me your puppy.” They loaded Cassandra’s car with Molly’s stuff. Mary and Molly, now Suzy, sat on the back seat and played like two people who hadn’t seen each other in ages. Herbert walked to his vehicle in great sadness. Hearing his name called, he turned to see Cassandra, Mary and Molly standing together looking at him. He should have known then he had no chance.

Cassandra said to him, “Why not go get a coke with us. We can sit at the park and play with Suzy. We’d like for you to stay in touch with Suzy because you can tell she loves you.

Without hesitation,Herbert said “I’d love too!”

The scene froze as the Ancient One walked, turning to the reader and said, “ A story like this is predictable from start to ending. Just because the story like this has been written many times in many different ways doesn’t mean this story is either old or dull. But it also says there’s no need to take you through the whole story of dating to marriage. I must say, this story is one of my best success stories dealing with people. I will end by say the used but relevant phrase one more time,’They lived happily ever after.’”

November 05, 2021 15:40

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.