0 comments

Science Fiction Suspense Speculative

I had always thought a space walk would be an adventure, but now faced with that very task it only seemed terrifying. The computer had handled all of the leg work. It’s mechanical arms extended from the wall helping me click the helmet securely into place. I stared at the clunky metal airlock both unnerved and thankful that it could be my saving grace.

“Computer, are you sure this suit will hold up?” I had been urging the computer to move faster as it helped me put everything on, but now I was wondering just how old the suit actually was. There were some things on the platform that were too old for comfort and doing a space walk would be useless if I didn’t come back.

“I have done all the necessary tests, Aerie. There are no leaks. Proceed to the airlock”

***

“Airlock’s secure Dimmer. Do you have sight on the target?” My eyes were twitching over the screen and my keyboard clacked as I moved my character down the corridor. There was a whole wall filled with monitors that lit up the entire room.

“Not yet. Keep your eyes peeled.”

“You’re the one with two sets of them.” 

Dimmer along with myself were two of the dwindling population of people who hadn’t moved on to VR. I had never liked the idea of plugging myself into a computer. Virtual Reality would pull me too far out of the real world. I already spent most of my days playing games.

That was why I took this job in the middle of nowhere on an empty mining platform orbiting an uninhabitable planet on the farthest edge of a galaxy. Oddly enough my gaming skills actually were an asset on my resume. It turns out the defense system of the platform had some similarities to gaming controls. My mother hated it. She also didn’t like the idea of me being alone in space, but it was only for a year while the planet replenished itself. 

No one was going to come anywhere near the platform. Surrounding it was thousands of miles of empty space.

***

Empty space lay just beyond the window. The computer had sealed the door behind me as it depressurized the airlock. My tether was hooked just beside the door, and I tried to take deep breaths. I had done training for this. It was needed to take the job, but I thought I would never use it. 

I jumped as the computer came through the com in my helmet. It’s voice was too chipper for how tense I felt. “Depressurization complete. Deactivating simulated gravity.”

My stomach churned and I was sure I could feel all of my organs shifting. I took one more deep breath as I slowly reached for the door release framed with black and yellow stripes.  I pulled it down feeling it click and the red light turned green. My nerves were yelling at me to move quickly, but the rules of zero gravity made that a very bad idea. The doors opened without a sound and despite there being no chance of me falling I felt a sense of vertigo as I looked out into the vacuum of space. 

“Reminder to check your tether as you move. Ensure that it is locked into place before moving forward.”

“Thank you.”

“Remember I am here for your support.”

I wasn’t sure how much support the computer could give me outside the ship. It wasn’t much use in the way of emotional support, but at the very least the words made me feel like I wasn’t alone. I slowly shifted out of the airlock attaching my tether outside and cringing as the doors shut without a sound. Now there was only the vastness of space and the thin tether holding me to the platform.

***

The platform was not as boring a place to live as someone might think. It helped that I did most of my socializing through gaming, but I also had the computer which could do almost anything for me. The communication signal was one of the best you could get. I needed the boost, but if I were in any real danger it would take hours for anyone to get to the platform, hence the defense system.

“Dimmer, the targets in the north eastern section of the building. It looks like my two eyes are better than your four.” I teased.

He cursed at me in his mother tongue and I just laughed. 

“Aerie, I am in need of external input.” 

I sighed. “Duty calls Dimmer. Take them out for me will ya.” 

I stretched as I got up. A lot of the external input meant a mechanical issue somewhere that I had to fix or a minor decision that needed to be made by a person rather than a computer. Everything that had to do with operating the platform was in the control room and that’s where I headed.

“What’s the issue?” I collapsed into a seat waiting to be told which buttons to push.

“It seems that ships have been detected nearby.”

“How close?” I sat up straight looking out the window. There were windows on all sides to give a full view of the platform. I had only one other time that ships had come by. They were pirates and thankfully a show of the platforms defense system had been enough to get them to back off. After I stopped being terrified I felt pretty powerful showing off the big guns.

“They will be in visual range within ten minutes.” 

“Can you tell who they are?” 

“They do not fit into any registered vessels in my database.”

That was strange. “Can you make a conjecture about make and model?” 

“I cannot.” 

I looked out the window searching for the ships in the darkness but saw nothing. I sat down in the defense controls and started trying to convince myself that this was just a video game. When the pirates had showed up I hadn’t even needed to send off a shot. I hoped it was the same this time.

“The ships should be in visual range.” 

I squinted out the windows looking out all directions of the tower until I saw it. My blood went cold.

Holy shit.

***

“Holy shit.” 

It wasn’t until I came around the side of the platform that I had a full view of ships. It was a whole fleet. I could only make out a few from the tower. If an entire fleet of ships hovering close by wasn’t worrisome enough, the fact that they had the Klarian symbol emblazoned on their hulls was. The Klarians were a race of people who were hell bent on spreading their ideals and conquering whatever planets they could. They hadn’t dared to come to this galaxy, but that didn’t seem to be the case anymore. 

I wondered if they could see me on the outside of the platform. I had zero defense. This whole space walk would be useless if they could.

“Computer record video.” 

“Recording.” 

I wanted proof of what was happening to send to the company. I barely could believe it myself, they would probably think I had just gotten bored and wanted to play a joke. I couldn’t expect them to take my word, and I kept my helmet towards the ships. I couldn’t see the small ship until it was nearly at the platform. My heart clenched as it landed and I knew the Klarian’s would be searching for any sign of a life. Any sign that someone could send an early warning. I concentrated on getting a full video of the fleet just to have a task to keep me grounded.

“They have shut off the emergency broadcast. It seems that they are leaving.” 

The emergency broadcast had been a long shot anyway without a message to go with it, but that thought didn’t make me feel any better. A few minutes later the ship took off again and I breathed easier, but I wasn’t out of this yet. I had something to do.

***

I had to do something, but I had no idea what. My training hadn’t covered how to combat an alien race bent on dominating galaxies. Not to mention one person couldn’t stand against an entire fleet.

“Computer, do they know that I am here?” 

“Unclear. The platform is running on minimal power. The chances of detection are low.” 

I nodded and I kept nodding until I realized I had been nodding for too long. 

“Alright, send an automated message stating that they are entering protected space. If they continue forward there will be repercussions.” 

“This platform does not have enough power to take on an entire fleet.” 

“I didn’t say we would be the repercussions.” I snapped. The computer stating the obvious was not helpful at the moment.

“Message sent.” 

“Alright. That will probably do absolutely nothing. Plan B needed.” I scanned over the controls searching for some kind of answer.

I pressed the emergency signal, but that would only go to the company. I started pacing. The company had no chance against the Klarians, but what else could I do? I had to get a message to them. If they came because of just the emergency signal they would be annihilated quickly.

“Aerie, it seems that they have launched a small ship and it’s trajectory is this platform.” 

My heart seized in my chest. I could take out a single ship, but chances are a bigger ship would take out the entire platform. If they found me there was no way that I would be able to warn anyone. 

“Aerie, it seems that your gaming friend is wondering where you are.”

“Shit.” 

I ran out of the control room and back to my desk. I cut Dimmer off before he could speak. “Hi, yeah, there is a whole fleet of Klarian ships floating next to the platform.”

“What?” All four of Dimmer’s eyes were wide and if the fate of the galaxy weren’t hanging in the balance I might have laughed.

“Yeah me to, and apparently they are sending a ship here to check things out and well I would rather they not find me.” 

“Go outside.” 

“What?” My brain froze.

“Go outside. Do a spacewalk. That way they won’t find you on the platform.” 

“Okay. Okay. That could work.” 

“Go, Aerie. Be safe.” Dimmer logged off. 

I felt like all of my muscles were vibrating. “Computer, shut down all nonessential power. Make it look like no one has been here.”

I headed to the airlock.

***

I headed to the airlock relieved to be back inside. I stripped off my suit and quickly made my way back to the control room. I halted as soon as I was through the door. The controls had been blown to bits, melted metal curling outward from the blaster’s heat.

“Computer, is it still possible to contact the company.”

“Negative. Due to security reasons this is the only terminal that can contact the company directly.” 

I dug my hands into my hair before looking out the window at the fleet. I had to send a message somehow. My eyes widened and I moved quickly towards my desk. 

“Computer boot up my personal terminal.” I had no idea who I could contact, but I had to be able to get a message out to someone who could do something?

The screens were shining bright as I fell into the chair and logged back on, connecting with Dimmer.

“Oh stars, you're alive.” Dimmer was clutching his chest. In any other situation I would have called him dramatic. I had seen more emotion from Dimmer that day than I had in all the years I had known him.

“Yes, I’m alive, but I have a problem. The Klarians took out my direct link to the company. This is all that I have left, but I don’t even know who to contact let alone how.”

“How long do we have until they reach an inhabited planet?” Dimmer asked.

I smiled despite myself as Dimmer’s tone shifted. Dimmer had always been a tactical gamer and I was thankful for that more than ever.

“It took me about six hours to get here from the nearest inhabited planet, but that was on a transportation craft. Who knows how fast the Klarian’s ships are?”

I tried digging through my brain, but fear had made it completely blank.

“What if you did a live video? If you reach enough people surely you’ll reach the right people.”

“Do you think that’s the best idea?”

“Do you have any other ideas?” 

I pursed my lips. I didn’t and I had to do something. I took a deep breath.

“Computer, open a live feed to all my available channels and pull up the footage from my helmet.” 

“I’ll send your video to as many places as I can think of. Aerie, get out as soon as you can.” Dimmer’s eyes shined with concern.

“I will. You better get all the snacks I want when I visit you.” My chest ached at my attempted bravado. I’d send the message then get to an escape pod, but I didn’t let myself think past that.

“I will buy you the whole store.” 

I laughed. “I’ll deserve it.”

“Your video is streaming and recording.” The computer said.

I looked at the screen, my pale face lit only by the light of the monitors. A human gamer alone in the middle of nowhere. I took a deep breath.

Here’s to saving the galaxy.

February 11, 2021 17:59

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in Reedsy Studio. 100% free.