2 comments

Drama Fiction

Life at that moment seemed to stop. How could she do such a thing? Never in my wildest dreams would I have ever thought my sister was capable of hurting me in such a way. But I’m getting ahead of myself. Let me start from the beginning.

I walked into the two-bedroom apartment I shared with my sister. It wasn’t anything fancy, but it held all the necessitates. There is a bedroom for each of us, a bathroom, kitchen, and small living room just big enough for a couch and t.v.

Our parents were never around much growing up, so my sister and I looked out for each other. We are very close, and I’d like there are no secrets between us, but I know that’s not true because I keep one big secret from her.

Our parents died shortly after I turned eighteen, so I got a job, rented this apartment, and Sue came to live with me. We’ve been on our own ever since.

Life’s been rough. We almost got evicted a few months ago, but I came up with the money just in time. A few weeks ago, our grocery bill had to stay under twenty dollars. That was a tough week. I had to change things. I had to make things better, not just for her, but for myself too.

I got a new job last week with twice the pay of my last one. I decided not to tell Sue. I don’t want her to worry. My job is a little dangerous, and she has enough stress just trying to finish her last year of high school and applying for scholarships.

I get paid every two days instead of once a week. It’s the best job ever! I don’t even work regular work hours, so I can be home to help Sue around the house and stuff more. She seems to like that I’m around more, and I enjoy spending time with her again, like when we were kids.

We started planning family nights. Her idea, not mine, but it’s kind of nice. Mondays are game night, and Thursdays are dinner together night. I always make sure I’m home on those nights.

There’s a boy at school Sue likes, and she wants to bring him over for our dinner night on Thursday so we can meet. I’m a little nervous cause I’m not really sure what Sue expects from me. I’m just her brother, not her dad. Would it be awkward if I grilled the guy for information to make sure he’s a good guy?

I guess I’ll just wait and see what happens that night. Sue likes him, so I have to believe he's at least decent. I have a feeling, no matter who she brings home, I’ll never think they are good enough for my little sister.

The boss gave me a big job to do tonight. He says I’m ready for the big leagues, whatever that means. I’ll be working late, and Sue looked disappointed when I told her it would be after midnight when I got home. I don’t think she likes being alone in the house after dark. I guess if I were a girl, I’d get scared of being alone too.

I told her not to worry and to call me if she needed anything. I handed her a piece of paper with my cell phone number on it.

“When did you get a cell phone?” She looked at the paper in her hand then back up at me.

I shrugged my shoulders. “My boss gave it to me. He said he needed to be able to get ahold of me at all times.”

We said our goodbyes, and I headed out the door. Twenty minutes later, I walked up to the back door of a run down apartment complex. Jimmy, the boss's right-hand man, let me in.

A big shipment of goods was coming in tonight, and I was going with them to pick it up. Normally I was just a runner, and the idea of working my up higher in the business was exciting, and a little scary.

The plan was laid out, and we hopped into the truck and took off down the road. Before I knew it, we were pulling into the parking lot of an abandoned warehouse. These guys used a lot of abandoned places. It was strange because I knew they had enough money to buy or rent a place, but instead, they chose to use places no one wanted anymore.

We pulled inside the warehouse and waited. Moments later, another van pulled in behind us. Jimmy got out and walked to the back of our van, and I followed his lead. I had no idea what I was doing. I leaned against the back doors of the van so the other guys would think this was no big deal to me. But my insides were churning with each second that passed.

Jimmy was fidgeting, and I knew something wasn’t right. I stood straight up and looked at him. His attention was on the van in front of us, and the men inside.

“Get back in the van, now!” The urgency in his voice had me running for the front passenger side door, but before I could even reach the handle, men stormed the building.

They came from everywhere, the front door, the back door, the office off to the left, and the white van parked behind ours. They barked out orders and pointed guns. I froze with my heart pounding away inside my chest so hard I thought it would burst.

“Get down on the ground. Hands where I can see them.” The tall man pointed his gun at me while he yelled orders.

I wasn’t the smartest person, but I wasn’t stupid enough to ignore someone with a gun pointed at me. I lay down on the cold cement floor and held my arms out to the side. Seconds later, a knee jabbed into my back, and my hands were cuffed behind me. The tall man pulled me to my feet. With his hand firmly on my elbow, we walked out the front door. My eyes went wide when I saw my sister standing there.

Tears streamed down her face as she looked at me. “I’m sorry, but I couldn’t let you keep doing this. I couldn’t let you keep heading down this path.”

I stared open mouth at her. How could she betray me like this? I was doing this for her. I turned my head to avoid her penetrating gaze. Even though she was the one who betrayed me, I was the one who felt ashamed of my actions as the police officer helped me into the back of his squad car.

February 02, 2021 02:42

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Daryl Oliver
20:58 Feb 11, 2021

Okay, First, I will say that I liked the story. Would like to know how the parents died. Not that it really matters, I'm just curious. Well done and entertaining. I found a couple things that need fixing. - We are very close, and I’d like^ there are no secrets between us (missing "to think that"?) - We started planning family nights. Her idea, not mine, but it’s kind of nice. (I think this would be a nice place for the dreaded semicolon, between nights; Her idea not mine) Keep at it, enjoyed it much.

Reply

Amanda Stuntz
19:32 Feb 12, 2021

Thank you so much for taking the time to read my story and the helpful fixes! :) The mother died from a drug overdose, and the father was associated with gangs and it got him killed.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.