IT'S ALL FUN AND GAMES UNTIL............

Submitted into Contest #1 in response to: Write a story about a birthday party with a major plot twist.... view prompt

0 comments

General

How do you feel when the biggest day of your life is just around the corner,exhilarated?nervous?anxious?I know you probably feel like you are on top of the world,who wouldn't want to be treated like a king even for a day?It must be exciting to think about all the presents you're going to get,the surprise party that is no longer a surprise because it happens every year,the cake with your name written on it and the perfect little candles that you're so eager to blow out after making a wish{chuckles}what about the praises you receive from different people?I bet you love them a lot it must feel like you are in seventh heaven I mean it's wonderful to hear people say nice things about you especially from the ones you least expect. A birthday is the most beautiful day to celebrate your life but mine is different,when I think of a birthday I think of it as a day that reminds me of how my life is a humdrum,a new age,there's nothing exciting about growing older.

Like any typical school day I got up and started getting ready for school,my goal for the morning was to avoid running into mom and I know it probably sounds impossible but on a day like this I would do anything to make it happen,I don't like how mom makes such a big deal out of it she would hug me,kiss me,prepare a nice breakfast just for me I honestly don't think that's necessary. As soon as I finished getting dressed I ran to the door but before I could reach the door I heard her voice from behind and from that moment I knew there was no way out.I turned around to look at her and she was holding a chocolate cupcake in her hand with a lighted mini candle on the top and a party blower whistle in her other hand.

"Happy birthday sweetheart!!"she shouted then stretched out her arm as she she asked me to blow out the candle.There was so much excitement in her voice and as much as I wanted to escape from the moment I couldn't after seeing how happy she was,I don't believe in wishes so I just blew out the candle and hugged her as hard as I could.Ever since dad left us for another woman it has just been mom and I against the world,she's been my rock and I don't know where I would be if not for her,after eating the cupcake I kissed her on the cheek and headed to school.It's not a good feeling to know that I'm a year older and that there's 99% of people who don't care about me and at this point I'm thankful for having Eliza in my life she's the one person I could call a true friend and even though our personalities don't match she gets me and makes sure that I don't go astray.

Upon reaching class she jumped from behind me and shouted happy birthday right in my face,I just covered myself and rushed to my seat feeling quite embarrassed and I knew at that moment it grabbed attention,everybody in class was turning heads and showering me with birthday wishes at that moment I just wished the ground could open and swallow me,who knows what they're thinking maybe their wishes aren't sincere and they just found the perfect moment to make me the joke of the class. "Why did you do that you know I don't like this kind of stuff" I whispered to Eliza with my hand covering one side of my face,I know she had good intentions and instead of complaining I should be thankful. It's kind of rare for school to end on a good note but it did today despite the drama that happened this morning,on my way back home Eliza kept on talking about how eager she was to take me to this new place in town and even though I was quite apprehensive about it she talked me into it,I thought nothing could go wrong as long as it's just me and her.A little celebration wouldn't hurt at least it would keep my mind off the thoughts of not been like other girls who have it all,the popularity,the money,the entourage and most of all the coolest,hottest boyfriend ever.the place looked quite different from what I imagined it would be,it was a bit further from the other places in town but I didn't want to think much of it and as soon as we walked in everybody shouted surprise and for a second my heart jumped out of my chest,I was surprised to see a bunch of people from school and never in a million years would I have thought they'd do something like this for me. For the first time I felt popular,having all these people come here just for me felt so amazing especially when I looked around and saw the most popular girls and the hottest guys in school.I was overjoyed and uptight at the same time I didn't want to do anything that would make me the laughing stock for eternity so I just led back and watched everybody have a good time.Eliza sat beside me and had a pep talk with me,for a moment I thought I was been unfair to her and everyone who gave up their time to be here with me so I decided to let loose and have a good time as everybody else was.

The music was on full blast,party cups everywhere and everybody was dancing to the rhythm of the beat,the hottest guy in school the one I've had a crush on for as long as I can remember pulled me from the crowd and started a conversation with me,everything at that time felt like heaven,his smile,his beautiful brown eyes that have a way of piercing right into my soul,he's the kind of guy that can make any girl feel beautiful just by looking at her.I thought I was in some sort of dreamland and just needed someone to slap me back to reality.He then held my hand and led me to the dance floor ,is there a word more beautiful than beautiful?I felt more than that when he wrapped his hand around my waist,put his other hand in mine and danced with me in front of the whole school.It was a kind of moment that will forever be remembered,isn't it funny how a single moment can suddenly change in a flash of light?Things were getting wide and crazy,people were popping bottles and spilling alcohol on the floor I have never been to a school party before so I didn't think much of it,like a lightning flash everything happened so fast I hardly noticed some people were taking drugs.Later on a game of truth or dare was brought up and everybody was down to play I on the other hand was quite skeptical but decided to live in the moment who knows maybe I might find myself kissing Jake at the end of this and just as I anticipated we were dared to kiss and the second our lips touched I felt like I was on cloud 9,everyone was cheering for us and when I turned to look at Rachael she didn't look too happy but I didn't let that bother me it's not like they're dating.There were times when the game was tense but what's the point of fun if there is no drama?after the game ended I just wanted to lay back and relax for a while it wasn't long after Rachael came and sat beside me and offered me a drink I thought that was nice of her,she's the most popular girl in school and having her come up to me to have a conversation made me feel special.

Looking back at how things turned out I shouldn't have had that drink she offered me,a sip of that drink didn't impose any sort of danger but after taking a couple of them everything around me started becoming blurry and at that moment I knew I was drugged.I was too dizzy to stand up but despite of how unstable I was I just wanted to go home,I was stumbling back and forth,the the music was pounding so hard in my ear and before I could reach the door I fell to the ground but luckily Eliza was there to catch me I held onto to her and even though I couldn't clearly get what she was saying it sounded as if she wanted us to get out as soon as possible,just as she was about to open the door the police showed up and the helter skelter moment suddenly stopped they took us to us all to the police station and at that point their was no way of getting myself out of the sticky situation,I was too scared to call mom but I had to anyway,how did I get myself into this mess?if I could see beyond the roses I would have avoided this situation,everything was perfect there were no red signs or sirens to alert me it was all fun and games until it got me spending the night at the police station. Would I consider it to be the worst birthday?definitely not but there are some moments I should have looked out for and avoided them by all means.

August 08, 2019 19:53

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.