THE FERRION SEEDS

Submitted into Contest #175 in response to: Start your story with two people planting a tree together.... view prompt

5 comments

Fantasy Fiction Adventure

The two men grunt as their shovels hit the soil repeatedly, opening it deeper with each thrust.

“You could use magic and save us both the stress”, said Heliam

Lyran sighed “Why do you act like one who does not know customs?”

“I’m just saying, there’s no need to go through hours of digging when you could open up a hole in an instant with one of your spells”

“I know Knights aren’t known for their Intelligence, but even you should know tradition demands the Ferrion seeds be buried in a hole dug by hand and of sweat”

“I am sweating plenty already, and so are you, and, we have already used our hands, so technically we won’t be breaking tradition”

Lyran dropped his shovel in frustration, and looked up at the almost giant of a man that is Heliam

“So let me get this straight, You would risk the borders between the demon world and the world of the living tearing down and most likely leading to the end of the world, Just so you can avoid more work?”

“Yeah, Pretty much” declared Heliam

Lyran picked his shovel, and continued digging

“How about you shut it, dig, we plant the seeds and I buy you three gallons of ale?”

“Deal!”, Heliam screamed.

“Finally!” Heliam shouted “The hole is dug”, he lifted up his shovel like a soldier would his sword, after he had just vanquished his enemies in the field of battle.

“And now, we recite the spell”, Lyran said. Lyran brought out the spell book of Risgird, an item given only to the mage chosen to carry out the ritual of Ferrion.

The ritual of Ferrion is carried out every 50 years, One knight of incredible strength and battle feats, and one mage with the highest of spiritual awareness and mental fortitude are chosen to plant the Ferrion tree, a tree whose presence holds the barriers between the living and demon world in place.

Heliam stepped back as Lyran reads from the book, one arm stretched towards the hole, a glowing circle with three overlapping stars appear on top of it.

Lyran puts the Ferrion seeds on top, they pass through the circle gaining some of it’s glow in the process as they fall into the bottom of the hole.

“And now what?” Heliam asked

“We cover up the hole” Lyran continued “And no, we cannot use magic”

Heliam mumbled under his breath and picked up his shovel, as the two men begin to cover up the hole, the ground beneath them shook, their ears rung slightly from the explosion that seemingly came out of nowhere.

Lyran reached for his staff while Heliam did for his sword

“What could that be?” Heliam asked

“An Explosion spell” Declared Lyran with the utmost certainty, “but only the highest of mages can use that, and there’s only two mages on that level”

“Yeah I know, You and Felix the nightshade mage” screamed Heliam, still suffering from the aftereffects of the explosion

“Correct. Felix may be many things, but he is still a human, a living being, He wouldn’t interrupt such an important ceremony, Unless…”

“unless what, unless what” Heliam asked, impatiently

“Goblins!” Lyran cried, “Goblins are the only magical creatures who can use explosion spells”

“Well that’s interesting and all, but why would they be here?”

Lyran looked at the mighty human, Heliam, the knight known for his massive strength, and laziness.

“Heliam” Lyran’s countenance morphed into an annoyed one and was ready to become even more so, depending on the answer he got, “you were the one tasked with obtaining the Ferrion seeds”

“Yes, but what does that have to do with anything”

The veins in the young, mighty mage’s head was visible and his grip on his staff grew tighter and tighter

“Tell me where did you find the seeds?”

“In a cave, it was just laying there and I took it”

“A goblin cave It must have been, you foolish brute”

“Well, yes, yes it was but in my defense, they were asleep and it would have been a waste to not take the seeds”

“you could have at least killed them whilst they slept u oaf!”

“I will-”

Before Heliam could finish his sentence a mighty fireball flew towards them, the pair ducked, leading the flame ball to disintegrate four trees behind them.

“No time for small talk” declared Lyran, “the goblins are out for blood, we must defend the seeds”

“And ourselves” Heliam added, clutching tightly to his mighty sword, the ravager: a blade as tall as two men.

The goblins approached in hoards, the little green monster with their wands and clubs, shooting flames and smashing anything they can find.

“Hold them off while I cast a spell, Heliam!”

The mighty Heliam got in front of Lyran, and advanced, he swung his blade, one slash taking out twenty goblins, and the surrounding Terra leaving a trail of blood and dust.

The goblins were fast, fast enough to Jump on Heliam’s body without giving the mighty knight anytime to react, ten, twenty, and then forty little goblins covering him, his armor glowed a bright yellow, the spell magoru, a spell used by knights as a defense released a shock wave from his body pushing away and killing the goblins who had surrounded him, The mighty knight had put up a good fight, but his stamina was halved; magoru was a spell that could be used only once a day and the amount of energy it took was immense enough to knock out most knights, but Heliam was not most knights, sure he was fatigued but he wasn’t down just yet.

He rushed into the horde of remaining goblins, must have been around 300, plunging his sword into the earth and with a mighty scream “magoru max!” he released an even more powerful shock wave that tore the skin off most of the goblins, turning them into bone and blood. The mighty knight fell to one knee, “You have fought well oaf, your title is well deserved, please leave the rest to me” said Lyran, staff stretched into the sky, turning the beautiful day, black as an abyss with his body the only source of light, lightning struck, falling from the sky like dead birds, each stroke took out one goblin and no more, never missing any.

the battlefield was clear, the pair drained of Mana, and stamina and the day light returned.

They crawled towards their shovels, with the little strength they could muster poured as much sand as they could into the hole, each time almost passing out

“Goblins really are wretched as they say aye”

“aye”

Heliam put one more shovel of sand, completely falling to his knees “I guess we really did sweat aye”

“We did” Lyran smiled, covering uo the hole finally, The mage stood over his companions unconscious body, “don’t worry I didn’t forget about the ale” before he too passed on top the hole that shall bring forth the tree that would protect them for the next 50 years.

December 07, 2022 16:59

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

5 comments

Lily Finch
22:44 Dec 14, 2022

Sinbad, you have a great story and a great imagination! Lyran and Heliam seem to have accomplished their mission. I'm not suggesting this for your writing; I'm suggesting this for the pacing and flow of a story, so when I say writing much better, that's what I mean to say. My suggestion: - someone suggested this to me, and I was writing much better - have a computer reader read your story back to you so you can hear it - LF6

Reply

Sinbad Omorodion
02:36 Dec 15, 2022

Thank you very much. Any examples of a computer reader you can suggest ?

Reply

Lily Finch
05:15 Dec 15, 2022

You are welcome! There is one in Google Read and Write - there may be one on the web that is free too. I use google reader. I find it works really well for me.

Reply

Sinbad Omorodion
17:10 Dec 16, 2022

Thank you very much.

Reply

Lily Finch
17:13 Dec 16, 2022

Anytime Sinbad. LF6

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.