Hell Hollow

Submitted into Contest #76 in response to: Write a story told exclusively through dialogue.... view prompt

0 comments

Fiction

“You never want to do anything different. I mean we are just stuck in a rut. Just once I would like to do something, anything different. Why is that, Neil? Are you really satisfied going to and from work, looking at walls all the time? Don’t you want to be more like Julia and Paul? Do you have any idea how much fun they have?” she grumbled for the umpteenth time.

He interrupted her tirade. “Well, you are in for a surprise, my love. I want you to pack a suitcase with a weeks’ worth of clothes.”

“Huh, what?” she stammered with delight. “Do you mean we are actually going on a real vacation? Are you serious? How long have you planning this? You never do anything like this? Is everything OK?”

“Yes, we are going on a short trip. There is no need to pack anything fancy, though. We will be enjoying the great outdoors.”

“Well what kind of clothes should I pack? I mean are we going somewhere cooler or somewhere warmer? Ohhh please tell me I need a swim suit! You know how I love water! And something just a bit nicer for a dinner out maybe? I may need to inventory my shoes, too. Will be walking a lot, or hiking, or would sandals be OK?”

“Just pack some things, dearest Debs. We won’t be going anywhere fancy. As far as footwear, just wear something comfortable. As I said we will be outdoors a lot.”

“Well, when are we leaving and how are we going to get there? You know I love surprises and just get so excited. Oh Neil, I can’t tell you how happy this makes me. I just have to tell Julia. You know she is always telling me about all the wonderful trips and cruises she and Paul take. But she is always part of the planning. But this is … WOW. Just wow. I can’t believe it. Will we be in the car for long? Is it a long trip? When are we leaving? Oh Neil, stop wagging your eyes brows like that. Just stop. You know I always have a million questions.”

“We will be leaving in the morning Debs, a few hours’ drive.  We can pack tonight and get an early start. Let’s just grab a bite, pack, and get a good night’s rest.”

“Really Debs, are you still putting things in the car? Neil asked.

“I am just so excited; I don’t know what I might need. You are so mean – not telling me where we are going.” She giggled at him. “can you tell me now where we are going? How about how long we will be in the car? Oh, I need to grab some munchies and a few drinks. You want something to munch on? Something to drink? Did I tell you I spoke with Julia last night? I called her after dinner. It was so much fun telling her about how you are surprising me like this. Can you imagine how envious she is? I love it!”

“Debs, we need to get on the road. You always tell me how I am a fuddy duddy, well I am changing all that. So, get your bags and your butt in the car.”

“You are such a tease” Debs said as she buckled up. “I can’t believe you are still keeping our destination a secret. Can you give me a little hint? What direction are we headed in? You never did say how long it would take us to get where we are going.”

“It won’t take too long, Debs. I am sure you will have the trip of a lifetime. Let’s just listen to something on the radio, pick something you like”

“I have to go to the bathroom, Neil. Can we stop soon? This is the second time I have asked you. I feel like I have been in this car forever. Don’t you want to stretch your legs a little? I am getting hungry too. It has been almost four hours and I want something to nibble on. I get the munchies when I am in the car anyway, you know that Neil. What sounds good to you? A fast-food place, truck stop, or maybe a little diner? What do you think’?”

If you have been noticing Debs, we are in a rather rural area. The chances of a burger joint or diner is as remote as where we are going. There is should be a gas station or something when we go under I-80.”

“Oh then.” She snorted. “I don’t know why you take these back roads. We probably could have gotten to where ever we are going a lot faster by interstate. I mean it is pretty country, but after so many miles of trees, I mean it is just one more tree. How long will it be before we get to I-80? Do you know if something is there or are you just guessing? And before you say something sarcastic, don’t. I heard that sigh you just gave. Really Neil this was supposed to be fun and now it is seeming like a chore or something for you. Can you tell me now where we are going? I can tell we are headed north, so please let me know, OK?”

“We are headed north, Debs. You have that correct. I thought you may like to hike, the way we used to when we were dating. I am heading toward Chagrin Falls.” He said evenly, hiding his annoyance at her constant complaining.

“Chagrin Falls? You must be kidding. Hiking the falls? We did that about five years ago. I thought you said we were going to do something different. Oh, and I built this up so much to Julia. I will be so embarrassed.  And I still have to use the bathroom. How long will it be? I am so restless I can hardly stand it.” She grumbled.

“Debs trust me when I say you won’t be restless once we get there.” He responded tiredly.

“Well, that had to be the worst rest room I’ve been in since college. It was so nasty. I don’t think it had been cleaned forever. I sure hope where ever we are staying is better than that pit. And I know you said we were going to the falls, but where? We have to be close. Please tell me we are close. I need to stretch my legs.”

“We are going a little outside of Chagrin Falls actually, Hell Hollow to be precise. I reserved a room at a nearby Lodge.”

“A Lodge? Really? Certainly, there must be a decent Hotel nearby. You know how cliché those lodges can be. Stuffed animal heads, antler lighting, all that ‘rustic’ stuff. Ugh. I hope Julia doesn’t ask me where I went, although I know she will. You know how nosy she can be. Have you noticed that about Paul? Many times, spouses act like each other, I am sure Julia and Paul are like that. Don’t you agree?”  

“Sure, Debs. How about we head for Hell Hollow, we are only a few minutes away. We can stretch our legs and maybe map out some trails, get a feel for the area.”

“At this point, I will do anything to get out of this car. I always look forward to car trips, but boy do they get boring after an hour or so. We can walk around and then find that lodge. Maybe we will see something on the lake and spend a few nights in a lovely place there. Wouldn’t that be nice, Neil? Soft beds, great views great restaurants. Tell me that doesn’t sound wonderful, go ahead – tell me.”  

We’ll see, Debs.” He said as he pulled into the gravel lot at Hell Hollow. “Looks like we are here. Ready to stretch those legs?”

“Fine” She muttered as she tied the laces on her shoes. “The sooner we do this, the better. It is pretty here. But a lodge? Oh my.”

“I saw this short trail on a map, Debs. There is a beautiful overview of the valley. We will have to be careful; it is a very steep slope and more than 100 feet down.” He stated as he took her hand and started walking.

“That is a valley, I have to give you that Neil. But there isn’t much of a barrier around the observation deck. Doesn’t being up this high make you nervous? I mean I am not afraid of heights, but that is a long way down. Have you given any more thought to maybe driving up to the lake and finding a nice Hotel? I love room service; we could order in dinner. Would that be nice, Neil? Just imagine what I could tell Julia and the others. They will be eaten up! Julia is always telling me about her great trips. Wouldn’t that just be the best, Neil? Oh forget the lodge we will find a great place. A place without stuffed animal heads and plaid everywhere. I love how you planned this little trip, Hon. This will be the best trip after a few revisions.” She droned on. And on.

 “Well you are right about one thing Debs. This will be a trip to remember.” He said gleefully as he pushed her shoulder forward, sending her over the barrier.

“What have you done? What! NEEEIIIILLLL” She screamed as she bounced her way down the rocky cliff.

“Good bye Debs. I think I finally got the last word.” He said with a smile on his face and utter peace in his heart.

January 16, 2021 03:10

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.