14 comments

Adventure Thriller Romance


The sparkles hit her nose as she drew the glass to her lips. With a naughty smile, Amy sipped the drink and sighed —no life without gin and tonic. The bubbles from the drink burst on her tongue, releasing tangy flavours. She stared at Richard, who stood tall next to her. He was a perfect catch. Her lips widened, pushing the cheeks to reveal a dimple. We’re gonna have a great time. Her fingers caressed the stubble on his chin of the charming man she had met a few days ago. The venue was buzzing with loud music and after-work chatter. She sat on the bar stool, relaxed her shoulders, and put her bag near her feet. Her eyes wandered around as she soaked the ambience. Her body swayed to the music unwinding from a busy week.


 Richard leaned over and whispered, “Amy, listen.” His body odour with the musky fragrance aroused her. She responded with a grin, turned around and looked at him. His eyes darted back and forth, scanning the surroundings. His breathing was rapid and shallow.


“What’s up, Richard?” She could feel his tight grip on her shoulder.


“Listen…we need to leave now…right now.” He hid his face behind her and whispered. His eyes kept probing the surroundings.


“Why, what’s the matter, Richard? Why?”


She could not work out. Was it a joke? Did one of his exes turn up? Was he falling sick? Her nerves tightened as she tried to process what was happening. She sensed a spoiler for that beautiful evening. She tried to look around.


“Shush…don’t look, just walk out discretely… and wait outside.

“Hurry now…and I will meet you there.” He said in a stern voice with his eyes locked into hers.


“But…Richard!” He was gone, disappeared into the crowd.


What the hell!


She stood there frozen with a bewildered expression. Her eyes opened wide, and she darted around for answers. None was forthcoming. In a frantic motion, with her hands trembling, she picked up her bag and coat and quietly made her way to the exit.


The city had transformed from officegoers to party dwellers as the nightfall set in. The smell of tobacco wafted from nearby smoking areas. She twiddled her thumbs, unable to contain her restlessness. Annoyed at the evening getting ruined and the unwanted anxiety, she paced up and down with rage and kicked the ground in a burst of anger.


Standing there alone, clutching her coat, she felt a sense of vulnerability creeping in. The weight of the situation was tearing her down. Unsure of his circumstances, she was determined to confront him for answers.


Just then, a car screeched a few meters from her, and a familiar voice yelled.


“Get in. Quick.”


She jumped inside with her heart still pounding.


“Now, WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON, RICHARD?” she screamed in a high pitch as she tucked the seat belt in.


He quickly took off and drove like a maniac. His head swung in all directions. He had one hand on the steering wheel and the other on the gear.


“RICHARD, pull over…tell me…what the hell is going on?”


He ignored her as his eyes kept looking at the rearview mirror.


“Is someone chasing us?” She turned around and saw a car with a high beam following them. Her stomach churned.


“Yes, now if you just let me concentrate, I’ll shake ‘em off,” he took a sharp corner on the left and accelerated. She held on to the seat belt tight.


“Shake off, who…who are they, Richard? And what do they want.”


“Listen, Amy, I will explain everything later…these are bad guys…they saw you with me, and your life could be in danger.”


“What? Me? Why me?”


“They are capable of harming anyone close to me as retribution.”


“Retribution for what?”


“Ouch,” she bumped her head on the side panel. The car behind tried to slam, but Richard was quick and raced off.


“Watch out, Richard…” She held one hand tight on the hook above the door and the other on the dash panel to balance as Richard tried to manoeuvre the escape.


“Listen, Amy. You need to get out of the car soon. I will drop you off when it’s safe. So be ready. Okay?”


“No, take me home,” Amy pleaded.


“No…not safe there.”


“Oh shit,” Amy screamed as the car swayed and tried to race past, almost hitting a cyclist.


“Sometimes I wonder, I don’t even know you. What am I doing with you… I am in this big mess with you.” She tightened her muscles to regain grip and balance as the car sped, swerved, and took sharp turns.


Richard jammed the brakes to a screeching halt near a lane.


“Now, NOW,” he yelled, “get off now and keep the mobile on.”


“But Richard.”


“No, BUT. Just get off and run into the lane. Hurry. Quick.” Richard screamed as his head zig zagged in all directions.


She got out of the car and quickly looked around. There were no cars behind. She ran into the lane with her shoes in her hand, came out on the other side and mingled with the crowds. Buskers played along the footpath, shoppers headed home with large bags, and partygoers were ready to hit the dance floors. Her head shook from side to side as she took slow steps aimlessly, and wondered what to do. She composed herself, walked to a teller machine, and withdrew cash. Her heart was still thumping in high gear. Eyes wide open, she stared at random people in suspicion. She walked into a souvenir shop and bought a scarf and a sweatshirt to cover. She wandered down the street, unsure where to go.


Her nerves battled the cool breeze and she remained agitated. Her mind spun with fear and she wondered what to do. This is shit. I can’t go to my place. What do I do now? I should call someone. Call Pam. I should call Pam. She dialled Pam. I trust her. She is a good friend. Come on, Pam, pick up the phone. No, no. Not the voicemail. 


“Hey Pam,” her hands trembled with a shaky voice, “it’s Amy,” she took a deep breath, tears rolling down. “Can you call me back, please…as soon as you get this…it’s pretty urgent!”


She held the phone tight and looked at it every few seconds. The low battery message popped up. Oh no, please, please, don’t die on me.


Unsure what to do, she jumped into a tram—stared around to see if anyone looked suspicious. Shit! Everyone looked suspicious. They were all on the phone. Amy was terrified. She was sure one of them passed information about her movements to some elusive killer. She quickly got off the tram, paranoid. She hurried to a roadside gambling venue to hide. She was sure there were cameras at the venue, and the security people would be watching. That thought gave her some comfort.


She stood in the middle, dazed, and stared at the rows of gaming machines. She scanned the people playing them, mostly older adults. She saw the sign for toilets and walked towards it. She sat there, agonised, and replayed the past hour’s events. The toilet area was quiet, with no soul around. She could not understand what was happening to her. She trusted Richard, though she had met him only recently. He was charming, gentle and kind, but she was wrong. He had another side to him that she was not aware of. She felt cheated and used. Her eyes were filled with tears she could no longer hold, bursting like floodgates.


“Are you okay, love?” An elderly voice sprang up from nowhere.


“Yeah,” she sobbed heavily. “Boyfriend issues…I am okay.”


“Ah, I see. Never trust these bastards. Take care, love.” The sound of the door creaked as the woman left.


She settled in front of a gaming machine though she had no intention of playing. She felt safe there to sit and plan her next move. She was angry at herself for trusting someone so easily. She had never experienced being so vulnerable. She always felt like a strong, liberated, free-spirited woman, and now she is running from some unknown killer whom Richard has put her in danger.


Amy was lost for words. She still believed it was a nightmare, but the sounds of the gambling machines and screams told her that it was real. As she watched the machines next to her spin, her head spun with them, her stomach churned, and she was ready to throw up. He was the gentlest of the guys she’s ever gone out with. He touched her like no one ever did. He understood her and appeared to be a perfect fit. But she got it all wrong. Her head was dizzied with many questions. Why am I so naive? I should have checked out much more about him. Is he involved in drug dealing? Or Gambling? Is he a spy? Or part of gangland? She realised that she didn't know much about him, about his job, where he lived, except for the phone number. The phone buzzed in her palm, sending shivers through her hand.


“Pam, Pam,” she screamed.


“Are you okay?” Pam responded.


“No, people want to kill me. Some people want to kill me.”


“What?” Pam shrieked loudly. “Take a deep breath, Amy, and tell me what’s going on?”


“Some guys that Richard knows. He is in some trouble. And now they are after me.”


“I knew it. I sensed he was not right. Something fishy about him.”


“Pam, I need your help. Hello. Hello, PAM!” Oh no, the phone died.


She looked around in desperation and did not want to draw any attention. She saw someone staring and walking towards her from a distance. He looked familiar. Suddenly she remembered seeing him at the bar and on the tram.


Oh shit!


She hurried, picked up her bag and tried to race out. Then a tap on her shoulder jolted her worst fears.


Oh my God, I am going to die!


In that split second, the death scenarios raced through her mind. Will it be a sharp knife through her back? Will it be a gunshot? Will it be a blow to her skull? Will it be a quick death? Will it be slow and painful? That split-second anticipation of imminent death froze her body. She clenched all her muscles tight and waited.


“Lady”, the voice said. She wasn’t sure if she was already dead or where the voice came from.


“You’ve left your phone on the chair.” the voice continued while Amy stood frozen.


She heaved a sigh of relief at being alive. Everything still looked hazy. She borrowed a phone charger from the counter and called Pam.


She later perched on Pam’s lounge, rugged up in a foetal position while tears flowed uncontrollably. The relaxing tea that Pam gave began to take effect in calming her nerves. Her mind opened doors of options to start thinking about. She decided to ditch Richard. The hellish experience he put her through was not worth it. He hasn’t even messaged or even bothered to call her. He’s probably dead or held captive somewhere. She doesn’t want to think about it and wants to move on. She reflected on how vulnerable women can be when they blindly trust men who may look charming with looks and words but have a dark side. She was upset about how she fell for this, especially for someone like her who considers herself a strong and independent woman.


The room fell into silence. Amy could feel her soft breathing. Every breath was like a new life for her. Her eyelids battled to shut while her brain reeled from the evening’s harrowing experience. Eventually, the eyelids won the battle, and she fell into a deep sleep.


And then, a sharp beep from the phone rattled the stillness of the night. The phone vibration was like a chainsaw over her head. Gasping for air, Amy sat up with eyes wide open. She picked up the phone with trembling hands. There was a message from Richard. She took several deep breaths and refused to let fear take over her. She opened the phone, took the sim card out, and returned to sleep.

June 21, 2023 06:52

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

14 comments

Sophia Gavasheli
09:17 Jul 09, 2023

Hey, John! You built up the suspense well in this story, and you reflected Amy's growing panic well too, with fast movement and spiraling thoughts. However, at the end, the story flattens out a little. Perhaps the tension and suspense toy built up could be harnessed better if you ended the story with the man giving Amy her phone back. That way the story would end on a nice whoosh of relief.

Reply

John Siddham
12:14 Jul 09, 2023

Hi Sophia, thank you for reading and commenting on my story. Appreciate your insightful feedback about the ending. Judging from others' comments as well, I do realise I should have weaved a better end to this fast-paced piece. Thanks again, cheers!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Wally Schmidt
20:45 Jun 28, 2023

This is a really well-written suspense/action story. It felt like a film and you certainly know how to engage the reader. For me one element that was missing was knowing what the stakes were- what was Richard mixed up with? Not knowing the answer to this curbed the credibility of the tale because the MC had only known him a few days; it seemed odd that SHE had become a target in that short amount of time. But overall, very engaging.

Reply

John Siddham
02:06 Jun 29, 2023

Thanks, Wally, for reading and reviewing the story. Appreciate your feedback and realise I should have added a bit more about Richard and shown what's at stake for Amy. Good point!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Kate Winchester
23:55 Jun 25, 2023

This was exciting! I feel bad for poor Amy. I want to know what happens next!

Reply

John Siddham
00:13 Jun 26, 2023

Thanks, Kate! I realise I may have to weave a sequel to this in a future Reedsy prompt. Watch list! Thanks for reading!

Reply

Kate Winchester
00:29 Jun 26, 2023

Welcome! Haha, yes. 😊

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Mary Bendickson
02:14 Jun 25, 2023

🪂 Left us adrift.

Reply

John Siddham
00:12 Jun 26, 2023

Thanks for reading it, appreciate it!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Michelle Oliver
22:56 Jun 22, 2023

Hey John, what a story, a strange, suspenseful tail that leaves us as confused and upset as the narrator. Poor thing, it’s quite harrowing indeed. I love your opening lines, a great sense of fun and a party atmosphere that contrasts sharply with the tension of the rest of the story. A few nitpicks you might want to edit if you have time. -Her fingers caressed the stubble on his chin at the charming man she met a few days ago. ‘At’ should be ‘of’. There are a few tense shifts eg -Amy was lost for words. She still believes it’s a nightmare...

Reply

John Siddham
02:33 Jun 23, 2023

Hey Michelle, thank you for your comments, and I appreciate your feedback. Good pick up on some of those tense shifts and suggestions for the inner monologue. I am re-reading through and fixing them. Thanks again for your helpful comments!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Colleen Ireland
23:46 Jun 21, 2023

Ack! What a cliffhanger! I hope you're planning to write a follow-up so I know what Richard was mixed up in; great pace, suspense, and reminder that even people we think we know can be strange(rs)!

Reply

John Siddham
00:09 Jun 22, 2023

Thanks Colleen, I had fun writing this, wondered how to end, and as you suggested I’ve left the door open for a sequel. Thanks!

Reply

Colleen Ireland
00:15 Jun 22, 2023

You're welcome!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.