HOW IT HAPPENED! THE MIRACLE!

Submitted into Contest #43 in response to: Write a story about transformation.... view prompt

2 comments

Adventure Teens & Young Adult Kids


I really don’t remember much from the time before,  but there must have been a time before,  unless I only came into existence a few weeks ago.  It seems like I just have a vague feeling  or memory of existing, a mere presence and then the next memories  are feelings of being very very hungry.   I felt much more than just hungry,  I felt more like voracious.  I felt green leafy food would sustain me if I could find it.


I just immediately knew that food was vital, I must find it,  yes I felt compelled to eat.  And so the time began,  the constant never ending eating time.  I have been eating like this,  with a feeling of urgency since the beginning.  Searching for the delicious green stalks and leaves, eating away my days and most of my nights, but now, for some reason,  it seemed that I was finally slowing down.  It was really a good thing to be slowing down as I kept growing out of my outer clothing.  Each new set has more color and more detail,  which is nice, but there must be a limit to  how big I can get.


My world appears so sunny, so green and pleasant.    I know I personally have not made these choices and I also know that I must go along with whatever happens,  I don’t think I have a real choice but then I’m not sure I can even “think” at all.   There is just this knowing,  that this is how it needed to be, this compulsion to eat and grow!  To eat and grow must be my destiny.  It is what I am here for.


Now to my real and genuine surprise, something in my internal clock, the part of me that is sending the signals and strong suggestions to eat, has stopped sending hunger signals and I feel very tired.   Wow,  now I feel so very tired,  I must find a place to rest.   A quiet sheltered place.  I’m looking for a nice flat place,  away from activity,  I don’t want to be disturbed, I just wish to rest and be still.


I have found a sheltered place and I know the time of waiting has begun.  Slowly I draw a light covering up and over myself I feel very satisfied that this is a good place to rest.  Ah, a good long rest.  I feel snug and like in a world of my own.  I am at peace resting in green filtered light.


Sigh!    Ummm,  sigh!  .....sigh!   ....ummm.  A lovely long rest.


But wait,  Hold on a second!   Something very strange is going on!   I feel as though I am in a bad dream.   Nothing seems real to me any more,  everything is changing.  The lovely filtered green light is getting brighter.   My world is becoming transparent.  


This stupid internal clock wants me to ???   To become?....become?   Ah well,  I appear to have little choice in my life, of what will happen or what happens next  so I will just hang on tight and see what develops .  One thing I can tell you for sure, I feel it has gotten very tight in here so I must be continuing to grow.  There is no more room to become bigger,  I seem to fill the complete space!


It is at this very moment that the cover just cannot take the internal pressure, the cover just gives in and splits open!!!


Oh my goodness,  my body has gotten so large, so big and fat.  I feel so full,  so full!  


But wait!  Wait a darn second here,  I seem to have “wings”?.....yes,  wings!


The wings are very smallish and droopy but for sure wings! They are not legs, they are true wings!   Things now begin to happen!  My fat full body is shrinking and my wings are getting stronger!


I will just try to be very still, I must have faith that all will be well,  I close my eyes and I hope!  I really have little choice, it is all just happening!


I can feel serious and amazing  things happening to me but am afraid to check them out.  I know I must eventually look to see what is happening,  it is happening to me you know, so I must know how to proceed!


Hmmm?   My body is getting smaller,  it is steadily losing the full look and my new wings are getting bigger,  they are getting longer,  they are beautiful, really quite lovely!


In my mind I feel it is time to try to discover what it is that I have become,  will I continue along as in the past?   I have not eaten anything for sometime so I am sure things will be different.  Time to make an evaluation!


Check out these wings.   I can make them do  a little quiver, then a bit more quiver,  this time more like a flutter.   I seem to be in charge of these wings,  pretty cool.   Finally a full flex...wowser!   Just look at that.   I am still in the resting place and I hang there in a stunned silence,  I am overcome with the beauty, the beauty of the wings.   I think I am a miracle.  Yes, I must be a miracle!


I continue to check out what this new form that I have “become” is all about. 


Nothing can compare with those wings but I seem to have legs too.   I can move about again.   It is time to go exploring,  to see what I can find to eat.   How really nice to be hungry again.  That at least seems normal,  but really,  what is Normal?


The feelings of hunger are growing stronger and I am so enjoying this new found freedom.   I am so happy that I begin to really flex my wings!  A little hesitant at first,  my wings feel damp and heavy but the sunlight is drying them nicely.


I flex again and again,  What?  I’m not sure what is happening but I love it!    


I am no longer earthbound,  I am flying!    


The world is mine,  I am free and I am beautiful.  


I AM A BUTTERFLY!





May 22, 2020 16:54

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Jim Murray
11:26 Jun 05, 2020

i kept going rapidly tying to see what the end was. it had me intrigued, good story. it might be a metaphor for some kind of life change

Reply

P. Jean
12:58 Jun 05, 2020

Thank you! It is amazing to see them struggle out of the chrysalis. In moments the transformation. Much harder to put into words what eyes have seen. Again thank you!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.