0 comments

Fantasy Teens & Young Adult

Being raised in a home where things were meticulous didn't make life easy. Every spoon, fork, knife, plate, put away with precision. Every afternoon the shelves-wiped from top to bottom. The floors mopped until they sparkled. The windows washed until they were practically invisible. Every bed in every room, occupied or not, changed daily. The staircase-polished to a spectacular shine every morning. Precision and perfection was the theme of the Barlowe estate.

The gardens sprawled the entirety of the estate. Everywhere you turned, exotic flowers rose proudly. Shining like new silver, the gates and the perimeter fence delivered an entry into a world unknown. The gate was wide and the walls of the fence were high. Both served as the main means of protection to the estate. The gate-molded from solid gold. Every morning you would find Master Lance outside polishing it so that it shone in the morning sun. The perimeter fence was solid white brick, bound so tightly together, not a sliver of light could penetrate them. Laid on top of the wall, were alternating columns of solid brick and statues of lions. The lion-a symbol of the Barlowe name.

A rose covered walkway made for an entry into the massive estate. Growing from one side of the walkway to the other, the roses were imported from the heart of Columbia. Layered by color, walking through the entry was a rainbow. First red, followed by white, then yellow, blue, orange and back to red. Shrubs lined the front of the house underneath the windows. All shaped and pruned to perfection. Along the walls of the home sat a porch that reached all the way around the estate. Large white columns-the main grasp of attention.

Many generations prior, the Barlowe Estate was a busy place filled with activity. Many gatherings have taken place here over the years. Now to most of the occupants, it was only a place of work, not of love or affection. There were no more parties, no more social gatherings. The only activity that took place anymore-living here. And the only inhabitants that had an honest affection for the home was the Barlowe's. And there were days when it was only Lord Barlowe that held the affection.

The inside of the grounds only entertained the Barlowe family and their workers. If any outside provisions required entry, there was a lengthy decontamination process. The process consisted of many hours of testing. The team of taste testers made sure that no food contained poison. The team of gardeners inspected every flower and plant with care. There was even staff to check every item that wasn't food. They checked every item from the toilet paper (which was only ever the highest quality) to bed sheets. Every single item, no matter how big or small, had a team that inspected it before it entered the Barlowe Estate.

Once, a package managed to slip past security. It was a box the size of a laptop. When the team realized this, they began the act of destruction without hesitation. Nothing left the security area uninspected. Even when the family came and went, which wasn't very often, they received inspection.

Laced with Cathedral style glass, the main entryway spanned 10 feet wide and 20 feet high. Etched with colored glass, the Barlowe name shown with the morning sun. Engraved in the glass, the name stood out against the wood frame with its many colors.

Upon entering the estate, a massive staircase sprawled 20 feet wide and 40 feet high. At each level of the home, a smaller set of stairs whisked you away. 5 levels to the estate, 5 levels of loneliness.  To the left, was the study where Lord Barlowe spent most of his time. To the right, the parlor, which got very little use, since no one ever visited. Behind the staircase, to the left, was the living quarters of the workers. If one was to go right, the kitchen would come into view. Located between the kitchen and the study, lies the dining room. On the top floor of the estate was where one could find Barbara Barlowe's room.

Anyone who entered the room instantly knew Barbara’s favorite color. Purple-purple lined everything. The banisters that stood proudly off of her ceiling were painted a deep dark purple. Her carpet-a thick lush soft purple. Ceiling and carpet complimented each other. Upon entering the room, to the left sat a settee and a footstool, both adorned with violet plush coverings. To the right, a study area, complete with a desk, a computer, and a small refrigerator.

Reaching the middle of the room, one had to step up to another level to reach the sleeping quarters. In the middle, sat a large, king size, round bedstead. Covering the entire head of the bed were pillows of all shapes and sizes, and a variety of the color purple. On each corner stood a pillar which held up a canopy. The canopy contained swirls all around that were interlaced with gold. From each corner of the canopy hung a dark purple curtain. It perfectly matched the beams of the ceiling. To the left of the bed stood three large windows. Each window, standing tall at 10 feet and holding its own violet curtain. The curtains were swooped to the side and held in place by a gold latch.

Barbara, who turned 18 on the 27th of last month, was the only child of Lord Barlowe. Her mother, Irene, had passed two years prior with a contagious disease she contracted while working abroad. This was the reason Lord Barlowe placed the home under so many restrictions. Almost like he wanted them in a bubble. A bubble of health and wellness. 

 Living two years without her mother had changed the way Barbara looked at life. She wanted to be an outgoing, friendly young lady, but her time outside the walls of the estate wasn't long enough.

Barbara had never entered another home for fear of contamination. Not her fear, but her father's. She attended a private school in her dad's study. Her only instructor-her father, until she began college. There were maids that cleaned and butlers that served. Her only outlet to the world was when she attended her classes at the university or when she had a swim meet or practice. Due to the amount of security always around her, there was no time for dilly dallying.

Each day, Barbara's security team escorted her to her class.  The team would take extra precaution and wipe down her seat. As well as anything else that she might have a chance of touching. She would then take her seat. No one sat close to her, only her security team. Barbara needed an outlet, a chance to breathe. She began to hatch a plan.

Today would be the day that things would change. And why not, March 16th was as good of a day as any. Today was the day she would make her move to show her father that she needed more than she had. The wealth, the clothes, the fancy shiny things, were not enough for what she felt she needed. She needed some freedom. Some time to make her own mistakes, to learn her own lessons. She had never told her father, but she had spent hours talking to her mother. Always about her life before becoming a Barlowe. Irene had spent her teenage years living life to the fullest. She worked on Broadway and danced with the Rockettes on many occasions. Once, she even had a chance to swim with Olympic Gold Medalist, Michael Phelps. Every chance her mother got to make a memory, she took it. There were so many stories and Barbara wanted to experience as many as she could. She would have to wait until time for her swim lessons though, otherwise she wouldn't have a chance to get away. 

Her long time swim partner, and best friend, Katie, was waiting for her. When she entered the room, they changed into their swimsuits. They had been planning to leave for months, and they knew the plan well. They would go into the changing room, change clothes, and slip out the back door. But there would have to be a disturbance first, to lure the security away long enough for them to leave. Katie brought along her brother's laptop and had a video set to play. Plugged into the main sound system of the pool room, the laptop started playing the video. A cry for help. The team looked in on Barbara and made sure she was safe, then they went to find the person crying.

As soon as the team was out of earshot, Barbara and Katie slipped their clothes on. They grabbed their things and slipped out the back door.  They only looked back only once to make sure they had gathered everything. Katie's brother was waiting with his car running. Both girls hopped into the back seat and Benjamin sped off. Off into a world Barbara was not used to seeing.

Building after building, park after park, Barbara couldn't contain her excitement. She found that she was trembling. What would this world offer her? What path could she see herself walking down? They drove for a few minutes, when the scenery started to look familiar. They had turned in the direction of her home, towards Barlowe Estates. What was Benjamin doing? She was trying to go the other direction, away from this monstrosity.

"Take one last look, Barbara," Katie said. "I had Benjamin drive this way so you could say goodbye. Goodbye to the life of solitude, Goodbye to never knowing who or what you are or can be."

They drove by in silence, as Barbara watched her childhood home fade in the distance. a tear fell down her cheek. Here we go, she thought, here we go. Off into the world she had never been in, off away from her comfort zone. Barbara was a little nervous, but ready. Her mother had accomplished so much and she was ready to taste the same.

Although she had promised to leave it all behind, she had left a note for her father on his desk in his study. She couldn’t bring herself to tell Katie about it. Barbara knew if her Father didn’t have an understanding of what she was doing, it might be the last time she would see him.

Dear Father,

I'm not sure where to begin. First, I want to thank you for every milestone  in my life you have helped me complete. From learning how to walk, to learning my ABC's, to allowing me the right to attend college and swim class. I want you to know that I appreciate everything that you have given me and everything that you have taught me. I do not take any of it for granted. But I need to know what else is out there. I need to see the life mom lived before she met you. I need to make my own way. Yes, having the money and support of you would be great, but I understand if you don't or can't. My number is the same, unless you disconnect it, and I will answer when you call. But don't ask me to come back home, because I can’t. Not yet. I need your support, Father. I want your support. I want to see what else is available, besides only what I have seen in our home. I want to know what it's like to make a mistake and not have someone else to clean up my mess. I want to live how mom lived. Please know that I do not regret anything in my past, nothing except I should have spent more time with mom. I hope you can understand that and I hope and pray that you will respect that. If not, then Father, know that I love you and that I will always love you. But I am not coming back home. I am 18, and I want to be free. I may come home one day, if you will have me back, but it won't be today and it won’t be to stay. I do love you Father, more than you will ever know. Please don't take me leaving as a sign that I don't love or appreciate you for everything you have always done for me. I need to live my life how I see fit. I have everything that I need to get started. I have transferred my college credits to Cornell University. I start classes in the Summer. There is also a YMCA close to where we will live and I have already registered for it. As a matter of fact, they contacted me about being a swim instructor, so I also already have a job.

I miss mom, Father. I miss her more than I could ever tell you. And this is helping me to feel a little closer to her. Know that I am safe and that I will take care of myself the way you taught me to. And remember, I am only a phone call away.

 I love you Father, Until we meet again

      Barbara Renee Barlowe.

P.S. I took a few of my mother's things. I hope you don't mind. They are things she told me I could have before she passed away. I have her journal, her favorite blanket, her ballet slippers, and her ring. I also took your favorite scarf so that I could still feel close to you, even though I will be so far away. I love you so much! I pray you can understand why I am doing this!

That was all she wanted for herself, freedom. A chance to live her life the way she had planned. Staying in the beautiful Barlowe Estate wouldn’t allow that, not the way she wanted. Stepping out on her own was the only way she would know. The drive to New York was going to take days. Barbara settled into the back seat and began to read her book. “The New Yorkers guide to living the New Yorker’s life” Katie had given it to her as a gift on her 18th birthday. She had already read it cover to cover countless times, but she wanted to look at it again. As the miles came and went, Barbara fell asleep. She began to dream of her future and all that it could contain. Her only wish-to have her mother by her side through it all. 

March 02, 2022 17:56

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.