10 comments

Creative Nonfiction Horror

This story contains themes or mentions of physical violence, gore, or abuse.

Possible triggers: gore; ethnic slurs


In the area behind Tristan’s house and the condemned apartment building separating Ashland Avenue from Elmwood there lies our stone yard, a discarded appliance and home furnishings cemetery decorating the rubble and detritus of some contractor’s ignorant distraction from detail, and it is here that we —me, Tristan McCabe, Rob Pollock, and Sean Barone, colloquially known as those damn kids— escort Aaron Barone, Sean’s six-year-old younger brother, to his initiation into, until we happen upon a better name, The Club.


The Lake Erie humidity effect is thick and breathing is laborious and we see, quite literally, steam rising from The Stone Yard as though the discarded appliances, the one stove and two refrigerators in particular, were just unplugged with rubber gloves to prevent an electrical fire. We excavate through the thorny bramble and like static electricity the burrs collect on our hiked-up tube socks, and by the time we reach the crevice in the pocked, distressed wall that is our portal into the ravages of the Iran/Iraq War that President Reagan said last night we would not withdraw from, our headbands and wristbands are saturated, and are therefore just worthless, added weight.


“Corporal McCabe, off with added weight. It’s worthless,” I whisper.


“What added weight, Command Sergeant Major?”


“Don’t be a dumbass, McCabe. And keep your voice down. There’s towel heads beyond that wall.” I proceed to relieve myself of my soaked headband and wristbands indicating to Corporal McCabe what "added weight," and he follows suit. Corporals Pollock and Barone do likewise as they do not want to be perceived as dumbasses. Soon-to-be Private Aaron Barone has no added weight. In fact, STB Private Aaron Barone wears no clothes save his sagging skivvies and hiked-up tube socks to protect his legs and to collect the burrs. 


“Corporal Pollock, you’ll do reconnaissance. Watch out for towel heads. Corporal Barone, you’ll collect STB Private Barone’s burrs from his hiked-up socks once we cross into enemy territory. Corporal McCabe, you take rear detachment.”


Corporal McCabe looks behind them and assumes that means to watch their backs and Corporal Pollock gives me the salute I’ve worked hard to perfect in him — “That’s a good salute, Corporal. A bit stiffer next time” — and, crouching, he flips on his flashlight.


“Corporal Pollock, flashlight’s not necessary. It’s daytime.”


“It’s my lightsaber, Command Sergeant Major, and it is necessary against towelheads.”


“Good thinking, Corporal.”


Corporal Pollock crouches even lower and parts the thorny brambles from the crevice. He picks up a brick. “Fire in the hole,” he calls, and we all fall to our stomachs and plug our ears, except STB Barone, who just stands there, perplexed. He then begins giggling.


“STB Barone, that was your ass. Good thing the grenade was a dud; otherwise, that was your ass. Corporal Barone, do you copy?”


“I copy, Command Sergeant Major.” Sean goes over and slaps his little brother across the head. “That was your ass. And, there’s no giggling in The Stone Yard.”


STB Barone, really wanting to part of The Club, says “aye aye, Captain.”


“Corporal Barone, you’ll work on that response with the young cadet, yes?”


“You bet your ass.” I give him a look. “Command Sergeant Major,” he adds.


“Okay boys, clock’s ticking. We’ve been in country for oh-five-thirty and I am expected at the mess hall for chow in oh-three-minutes, so Corporal Barone, escort STB Barone to The Sitting Place.”


As we proceed through the crevice into The Stone Yard, I see Corporal Rob Pollock amidst the rubble and detritus with his shirt tied around his head. I look around cautiously, wondering if Pollock is attempting to fit in with the Iranian enemy. No one in sight.


“Pollock, your shirt.”


“It’s damned hot, man.”


“You will address me as Command Sergeant Major and you look like a towel head.”


“Can we just get this over with, Command Sergeant Major? I’m tired and my crotch itches.”


“Me too.” This is Barone, from behind.


“Your crotch itches too?”


“No, idjit. I’m tired. And ‘sides, man, Justice League is coming on.”


Realizing I’m being out maneuvered, I decide to drop the military parlance. Admittedly, my own crotch has been feeling itchy for the past oh-two-hundred.


“Alright, you win. Sean, you collect his burrs?”


“Yup. Got nine’a them.”


“Excellent. Nine’s a good number. Bodes well for Soon-To-Be Private Barone. Put ‘em on The Sitting Place; Aaron, remove your drawers.”


“I gotta take my underwear off? Uh-uh, no way.” He shakes his head so feverishly that his wet hair, so long he always blows up to keep it out of his eyes, showers me with fine Barone sweat. “I’ll sit, but the underwear stays on.”


“Whelp, them’s the rules, Barone. Alright, boys, we’re going home. No-Longer- Soon-to-Be Private Barone is a pansy.”


“Thank God,” mumbles Rob.


“Way to go, dipshit. Make us come all the way out here so you can chicken out. I’m telling Dad you found his girlie magazines. In fact, I’m gonna tell him right in front of Mom.”


“Sean, no. Wait. Guys? Okay, here. Look.” And like a good little initiate, Once-Again-Soon-To-Be Private Barone lowers his Fruit-of-the-Looms, kicks them to the side, and obediently sits on the nine burrs neatly arranged atop the overturned five-gallon plastic bucket.


“Mother-fucker!” the six-year-old wails, and we laugh with delight.


“Gotta sit there for one minute, then you’ll no longer be a soon-to-be. Boys, let’s forage.” This was me, Command Sergeant Major of The Club, revered and respected, the mind behind it all, Finder of The Stone Yard, Creator of The Sitting Place: a plastic, five-gallon hardware-store bucket overturned beneath the rusty, corroded, two-hundred-pound cement-bucket counterweight for the rusty and corroded fire-escape ladder, a counterweight hanging by one tired tendon. Perhaps it was the mingling of the reverbed echo of Aaron’s wail and our laughter that, like the butterfly’s wing-flap causing the tornado three-thousand miles away, created a vibration in that tendon that was just too much; or, perhaps it was God, or karma, or coincidence, or chance, or what-have-you that finally released that two-hundred-pound cement-bucket counterweight, to freefall seventeen feet directly into the thoracic outlet of six-year-old STB Dead Aaron Barone.


There is a rest as quiet as dusk as we process the far-too-mature reality of our little buddy, Sean’s little brother, crushed into the detritus and debris of The Stone Yard, blood and sputum escaping his mouth and nose and ears like a gusher, his eyeballs having popped from the sockets from the pressure. During this rest, anywhere from two to thirty seconds, I stare, immobilized like in sleep paralysis, at the remains of the little boy who, a mere thirty-seconds ago, was a soon-to-be; who, a few minutes ago, was giggling with excitement over being a part of; who, now, is a casualty of my wartime torture operation plan.


Sean breaks the rest with a scream, and we all follow suit.

June 04, 2024 15:42

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

10 comments

Glenda Toews
15:34 Jun 09, 2024

Creative non-fiction? Holy hell! Jeremy I don't even know what to say! The story is one thing the way you told it was an other thing... Your voice pulled me in kept me there and the ending... This one will stay with me for a very long time I would love to say well done but it seems so improper..

Reply

Jeremy Stevens
00:19 Jun 10, 2024

Thank you, Glenda. This happened in 1985, when I was 14, though (creatively) the story is told from a younger boy's perspective as I have no clue, now at 53, what we were actually doing in the stone yard that day. I do remember the visual, though. And indeed: it is haunting.

Reply

Glenda Toews
00:24 Jun 10, 2024

Ohhh, I was really hoping you pulled the story from the newspaper...I don't know why, it doesn't make the ending better...maybe less horrific for the writer. Magnificent piece Tragic unexpected ending, truly, the last paragraph will stay with me always. I.have a story submitted this week but I'd gladly bow out for yours to take the win if I had the power... brilliant, funny, touching, tragic!

Reply

Jeremy Stevens
00:26 Jun 10, 2024

Thank you, Glenda. This haunting memory followed me into the depths of my alcoholic hell (website in bio, if interested). Writing this story was actually therapeutic as it forced me to confront certain realities, and accept them.

Reply

Glenda Toews
01:37 Jun 10, 2024

I will check it out... I can imagine some realities are harder to gain a grip on than others...thanks for sharing such a tragic experiance.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
14:25 Jun 11, 2024

Wow Just wow The story and the story telling Heartbreaking Jeremy. So sorry you had to live this experience

Reply

Jeremy Stevens
15:58 Jun 11, 2024

Hey Derrrick! Thanks for the read. The event itself has been the stuff of nightmares, something you never really get over. Writing about it is therapeutic, especially the "creative" portion: I really have no clue, this many moons later, what our purposes were for being in the stone yard that day. Take care mate.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
David Sweet
04:12 Jun 09, 2024

Holy cow! I didn't see this coming. In a way it mirrors the real horrors of war and loss of innocence for soldiers who first experience combat. It was a complete shock to the system. And a game-changer. I didn't notice it was creative nonfiction until after I had first commented. I would be interested in the story behind the story. I went to your website and read your biography. Wow! You have been through some stuff yourself. As a retired educator, I can see how hard it was for you. I'm so glad you continue to persevere and shine a light. ...

Reply

Jeremy Stevens
00:24 Jun 10, 2024

Man, David, this is amazing feedback. Thanks so much for taking the time to read my story and to investigate further. Indeed, in 1985, this event did happen. (I only know this date because it was on the same day I was to see my first rock concert, Roger Waters solo tour.) I was 14, which in the storytelling does not translate; hence, the "creative" part. I have no idea today at 53 what we were doing in the stone yard that day; however, the image of Aaron dying haunted me far into the depths of my alcoholic hell. I look forward to reading you...

Reply

David Sweet
00:35 Jun 10, 2024

I saw that you live in NC. My wife and I live on the other side of the Mt in TN. I am intrigued by your story and hate all of the trauma you have been through. I am so pleased that you are putting your life back together and that your journey is on a positive path with Celebrate Recovery, etc.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.