0 comments

High School Horror Thriller

This story contains themes or mentions of physical violence, gore, or abuse.

She resisted the idea of attending the wedding reception, she knew everyone she had known in high school would be there and even though it was tempting to meet old friends, there were some things that she wanted to forget, that she knew she wouldn't be able to if she attended the reception.

She thought of all the excuses she could make and how she could avoid attending the reception without hurting her friend, her mind had come up with a whole load of excuses but she had an inner desire to attend despite her fears, that she just couldn't overcome.

In the end she gave into her temptations, as she entered the hall, her anxiety began to catch up with her, she had decided to be brave enough to face her fears but started regretting her decision as soon as she saw her old friends, she smiled at them, it was not a genuine one but she had stopped being her genuine self a long time ago.

She had become an entirely different person over the years, and although she was proud of what she had become, her past always reminded her what she had been and it always made her uneasy.

As she looked around the hall, she felt she was getting more nervous by every passing second, she knew Amy had been invited but whether she was going to ever show up was another question, there was a huge chance she wouldn't show up, but something in her made her feel that Amy would attend.

Amy had been her favourite in high school, she was timid and shy, and thats what she liked most about her, whenever she looked at her with those fearful eyes, she felt a certain sense of power, that she couldn't quite describe in words.

Whenever she looked at Amy, it made her feel how much better she was than her, she was talkative and popular, and much more beautiful than her, looking at Amy made her ignore things she didn't like about herself.

She had dubbed her 'filthy Amy', the nickname filled her with glee and every time Amy flinched when she called her by that name, it brought her even greater joy!

The great diffrence of power that existed between them wasn't something she just liked to call out but felt it was better demonstrated when she showed it herself, she liked to snatch her notebooks and cross out her handwriting, the way she wrote 's' and 'd' irritated her and she didn't keep it within her that she found her overall handwriting ugly and how much better her own handwriting was compared to her!

She could occasionally see the anger in Amy's eyes but knowing that Amy was in no position to defend herself made the whole thing more enjoyable to her, she liked how she had the power to destroy someone's reputation and outcast them.

The more she waited for Amy, the more her mind began recalling all the memories of her time in high school, things she felt she had long forgotten and had buried deep within the corners of her mind but now they had started tumbling out and she felt helpless.

She wanted to stop recalling anything about that time, those moments brought her a sense of pride in the past but now they were an embarrassing reminder of how immature she had been!

Whenever she took something out of Amy's bag without her knowing it, and threw it somewhere, she didn't feel she was stealing, to her it was teaching Amy a lesson, a lesson that she wanted Amy to remember every time she tried to out do her in tests, that she may score higher than Amalia, but Amalia was always going to be more powerful than her!

She thought about everything in terms of power only in those days, and it made her feel ashamed now, the adult world had taught her so many things, and her power issues had gotten her into stupid conflicts in her workplace, that she felt lucky didn't take an ugly turn.

She had often times thought of how Amy found the adult world, was she still a nerd?, she was curious to know what had become of Amy, she resisted following her on social media, no matter how much she had grown up from her past self, a part of her still resisted coming of as weak.

She glanced at her phone, it was an hour since the reception had started and if Amy hadn't shown up till now, she wasn't going to attend the reception, although she had mentally prepared to face her, a part of her felt a sense of relief, like a battle that was averted.

She recalled how she was always late in attending her class, her classmates had dubbed her, 'Miss late', she rarely caught the morning class but unlike her Amy was always on time and hardly missed any classes, she hated that and made sure to torment Amy so she would miss a few days, whenever she saw the empty seat in the class where Amy used to sit, it filled her with a sense of satisfaction, like she had won some battle.

As she looked around, the dark brown wavy hair caught her eye, she could instantly recognize it was Amy, she had been here all this time but she hadn't noticed as she was lost in her own thoughts!

She knew Amy had recognized her too but choosed to look away and pretended to not know her, it hurt her a bit but she knew that was a fitting reaction to how she had behaved with her in the past.

Something in her wanted to walk up to Amy and apologize to her, she had learnt so much and come a long way from what she had been but it wouldn't be complete without apologizing to the person her immaturity hurt most, she thought for a while but her ego didn't let her apologize.

June 13, 2023 17:41

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.