0 comments

Drama Suspense Thriller

Chapter One 

The smell of smoke filled the air as fires burned throughout the city of Terrasail. Ashes fell like snow, and covered everything that remained out in the open like a blanket. In the wake of a devastating post-apocalyptic world, the remnants of humanity and the dwindling vampire population fought against one another for survival. Factions and tribes were formed, but the two species still couldn’t coexist in this desolate world. The landscape all across the world bore scars of the cataclysm; with crumbling cities, overgrown ruins, piles of trash, and scattered vehicles that were abandoned on the city streets and highways worldwide.

Nature had even begun to reclaim what was lost, as vines and other various foliage intertwined with almost all of the decaying structures. The sunlight struggled to pierce the dense cloud cover for many days on end, which casted an eery diffused glow upon the barren lands and crumbling cities. Within this desolate Earth is where one of the remaining human tribes kept themselves hidden within the city limits of Terrasail. No one really knew for sure as to how exactly the end of the world started, but the survivors of the human race blamed it on the vampires. Their existence wasn’t known until just a few days prior, when the sun turned from its normal bright yellow color to a dark burgundy red; and the power grid across the world shut down.

Chaos reigned and alliances formed, but no one knew of any cure for the mad, disease-infected world. Both species, humans and vampires, were tested daily as each day was a test of resilience as they scoured the wastelands for dwindling resources. The human race was constantly wary of the ever-present dangers that lurked in the shadows. Both sides teetered on the edge of extinction.

Once mighty and formidable, the vampires were now a shadow of their former selves. Their once-proud bloodlines had been decimated, leaving only a handful of ancient vampires who clung to their fading power. Each faction of vampires fought against the other, which at times provided the humans with some solace and rest.

The first time that Leon had discovered that vampires were in fact real and just some fairytale or folklore was shortly after he enlisted in the United States Marine Corps. It was around that time he learned that humankind was under serious threat. He excelled through the ranks, surpassing the others who joined with him right out of high school. Years passed, but the war raged on. It hadn’t reached the point of becoming nuclear yet, but the biological side of it seemed to be just as bad.

Soon Leon obtained the rank of O3, Captain. Shortly after the award ceremony he was given orders to travel to a new station; a post located near the White House. It rained endlessly for many days on end when Leon arrived at his new post. The world war was getting worse and in return the more that civilization deteriorated at a quick pace. The ongoing fight between vampires and humans grew so large and became so powerful that within a year of Leon obtaining his rank that most of the old Earth was lost forever.

In response to the disaster that the humans and vampires created, the United States government created a program in which their soldiers, whom are selected very carefully, would be injected with a serum that replicates the strengths, healing abilities, and night vision that the vampires had. The government wanted to turn the tide of war into their favor. What they weren’t prepared for though, was the aftermath that was soon to follow.

Chapter Two 

Leon swing a beige and light green camouflaged backpack over his shoulders and then turned to look at the group of men who followed suit, hefting similar backpacks onto their shoulders then checking to verify that their guns were loaded and at the ready. The Resistance is the tribe that Leon called home, for they took him in when he had no one else. Some of the members often reminded him of the old world. The way they acted or spoke made him reminisce of what used to be. 

The base that the Resistance formed and called home was an old hotel that was once luxurious and housed many celebrities. Though it now stood as a place place of refuge, the sturdy walls and bulletproof windows remained intact, even after all of the bombings that occurred in and around the area. Tents of various shapes, sizes, and colors lined either side of the walls on the main lobby level, and a makeshift kitchen and seating area sat in the middle. Makeshift campfires were scattered here and there, which during the winter time provided a plentiful amount of heat and just enough light to navigate around in the dark but remain hidden by any outside sources. Simple and effective. 

Leon faced the group of men that were all geared up and ready to go. 

“All right, lads. We need to be quick, as night time is almost upon us.  Dreymon and Steel you two go to the pharmacy to the north of us. Grab as much as you can carry in your packs. Keep your guns at the ready. Alex and I will head to the east side to try and find some ammunition and other supplies at the army surplus store. Hopefully no other groups have raided that place yet. Rendezvous at the corner of Temple Hills. On my mark, set your watches for five hours in t-minus three…two…one. Mark.”

As the men started walking out of the Endeavors’ front lobby doors, Leon’s eyes, Glenn step toward Tessa, the leader of the Resistance, and gave her a slight nod before following the men outside. Tessa inhaled deeply; although she didn’t really believe in any religion over the other, she prayed to whoever was listening to help the men find the supplies that they so desperately needed. A cool breeze of spring air greeted the four men as the blazing orange sun casted a ray of light around them. Looking between each of the men, Leon left his hand and with pointed fingers. He directed them to begin their separate routes. Leon then looked over to Alex and nodded. 

“Let’s go.”

“Yes, sir. On your lead.”

Together, almost walking in unison, the two headed towards the darker part of the city. Small critters scattered around here and there as Leon and Alex stepped as silently as they could around piles of trash and various remains. Glancing down at his watch, Leon kept track of the distance that they had made so far, and made a mental note of how much farther they still had to go. Lifting his right hand up, he signaled with two fingers towards Alex. Two clicks until they reach their destination.

September 29, 2023 20:22

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.