0 comments

Thriller Mystery Fiction

            The Future Shows Itself to Me, Right When I Fall Asleep 

Talking on the phone: 

Hi Erika, I had a weird dream today, I dreamt our aunt was pregnant and I asked her if it was a boy or a girl and she told me it was boy, it was so weird, because it felt so real, like she answered it was a boy so fast, like she was telling me to pass a message. You know, I’ve had these weird dreams since a very young age, but they are getting weirder, like a dream every day and each dream feels so real. 

Erika: wow, that is weird...maybe she is (says it in a joking way), who knows right? Anyway, mom told me she wants to talk to you, call her!? 

Vanessa: Ok, I’ll call her, bye...talk to you later. 

Calls mom: 

Hi mom, how are you? What did you want to talk to me about? 

Mom: Hi honey, I’m fine and you!? I just wanted to know how are you and talk to you a bit. 

Vanessa: Oh, okay mom...I’m fine too. Mom, I just told Erika this, but I had a really weird dream, I dreamt aunt Betty is pregnant and, in the dream, she told me it was a boy...weird right? 

Mom: Oh, wow honey, she hasn’t told this to anyone but me and gramma but she is pregnant and she doesn’t know the baby's gender yet, but she is going to find out next month. That really is weird honey. 

Vanessa: I can’t believe this, wow mom, when she finds out please tell me if it’s a boy or a girl, I have to go now mom, bye talk to you later. 

Mom: Ok, I will honey, bye. 

Vanessa Thinks: 

This is crazy, wow, I shouldn’t think about this too much or it’ll probably freak me out. 

A month goes by, mom is calling: 

Hi mom, how are you? 

Mom: Hi honey, I’m fine...but what you told me last month, is true honey, it really is a boy, your aunt is having a boy, how is this possibly, how did you know that. 

Vanessa: Mom, you're kidding right...please tell me you're kidding. 

Mom: No honey, I’m not kidding, she's having a boy...isn’t that crazy? 

Vanessa: Wow... wow mom, it really is crazy, I’m speechless right now, my dreams have always been weird, but not seeing or telling me the future kind of weird. Anyways I won’t think about this too much, maybe it’s just a universe easter egg or something. 

Mom: Yeah honey, it is weird but don’t think about it too much, your already an overthinker that won’t be good for you, for some reason I guess you just had to know that. Bye sweety, I love you! 

Vanessa: ok, bye mom, I love you too. 

Some time goes by: 

Vanessa is scrolling thru Instagram and a famous person she follows, is going to have a baby, his wife is pregnant, Vanessa’s happy because the person she follows really wanted to have a baby and now his wife was going to have one, she continued scrolling after seeing the news and then, went on with her day. 

Vanessa’s dreaming: 

Sees Sam far away, holding a baby...hey Sam, is that your baby, wow he is born already...runs towards Sam to see the baby, as she gets close to Sam, he and the baby disappear and she says wow, I’m too late, they are gone already, why, where are they going so fast, I wanted to see the baby too, anyways let me go back to the car...runs to the car...and wakes up. 

Vanessa’s thinking: 

Well, that was a weird dream, why did I dream about Sam’s baby, is his wife 9 months already? I don’t think so, did she maybe have the baby...no, that is not possibly and if she did have the baby why would I dream about it; I don’t even know them in real life. 

The day goes by and the next day Vanessa can’t believe her eyes: 

Vanessa’s scrolling thru Instagram and yap, you got it...Sam’s baby was born, yesterday on the  night Vanessa had that dream...she could not believe it, the baby was born premature unfortunately and they were in the hospital, she couldn’t believe it, she didn’t want to believe it, but it happened again. 

Vanessa calls her sister Erika: 

Erika, you are not going to believe this...it happened again. 

Erika: What happened? 

Vanessa: Remember how I dreamt aunt was pregnant with a boy and she was, yeah it happened again...something like that but weirder, I think. 

Erika: Well, tell me, what happened? 

Vanessa: So, you know Sam that famous dude, that we know him from the internet nothing more, well as you know his wife is pregnant with a boy, right?! Well, she had the baby prematurely yesterday on a Friday and they posted today that the baby was born, and remember what I told you my dream was, yesterday...yeah...do you get it now, it happened again. I think somethings wrong with me and I have a bad feeling about this one. 

Erika: This is weird Vanessa, for sure...weird. I don’t know what to tell you. What did you say happened when you got close to them in the dream? 

Vanessa: They disappeared, as if the baby was only going to be here for a moment. I hope not, I really hope not, this is so weird Erika, what is happening with me...why do I keep having these dreams. It’s a fact now, I’m the weird sister. 

Erika: wow, that is deep, let’s hope nothing bad happens, and yes you are the weird one, how come you only noticed now? Jokes aside...you better not dream anything about me. 

Vanessa: Like I can control it, it’s like messages...but why is this happening, with aunt I get it I guess, I could pass the message that the baby was a boy, and she is family. But with Sam, I don’t know him...why do I have to receive this message, if I can’t do anything with it...it’s just weird. 

Erika: Really weird...I don’t know what to tell you, I have to go now...call me later and keep me informed if something happens, bye. 

Vanessa: Yeah sure, bye. 

Vanessa is thinking: 

Am I going crazy? This is crazy! What, no, why is this happening to me? This is freaking me out!  

The day ends, Sunday comes with another weird event: 

Vanessa scrolls thru Instagram and sees the news Sam posted...the baby didn’t make it. Vanessa stopped there without a thought and a million ready to enter the chat. 

Vanessa thinks: 

A moment...I could only see them for a moment and they disappeared...Sam could only see him for a moment, why universe, why dream realm, did I have to know that!? 

Erika is calling: 

Hi, you saw it right? 

Vanessa: Yes, I definitely saw it...I have no words. 

Erika: What does this mean? Why are you able to see the future, or why are these certain future events appearing in your dreams? This is weird, I too have no words. What will you do? 

Vanessa: I have no idea, what if it happens again and is something worse, I didn’t want to know that?! Why did I have to know that? I’m asking myself the same thing, but these dreams just happen, I can’t control them, I have no say in them and there is no explanation to it, whoever is showing me these future events, doesn't care about explaining why it is showing it to me, and I don’t know if I’ll have to live like this, or even if I can live like this, afraid of what I might see in my dreams. Anyway, let’s talk later, bye now. 

Erika: I really don’t know what to say other than this is very weird, who are you or maybe what are you...I always thought you were different, but how different are you!? Bye, talk to you later. 

2 weeks go bye: Calls Erika... 

Hi, I had I dream about mom, I dreamt she fell and hurt her leg, is she okay...please tell me this is just in my head and that she is ok...why isn’t mom picking up her phone? I live in another country, so I can’t go there to check on her, so I’m calling you to know, Erika where are you? 

Erika: Hi Vanessa, I didn’t tell you these sooner because we had to come here quickly, this is really getting out of control, this dreams of yours...I’m with mom at the hospital, she hurt her leg, but she is fine...she is going to be ok. Don’t worry about it, wow...I guess you can really see the future, but why...what are you going to do, isn’t it scary, this is some paranormal stuff!? 

Vanessa: Oh my God, I hoped this one was just a random dream. What am I going to do? Why is this happening to me? What am I? Tell me the true...am I really from this planet, did mom find me somewhere? I’m really getting creeped out, this isn’t seating right with me, Erika there is nothing I can do, I can’t google it because people aren’t supposed to see the future, but I do...for some reason, I’m able to...even though I really don’t want to!? What if it happens again, and it’s something worse than this, then what am I supposed to do? Anyway, tell mom I said hi, and for her to be more careful, take care of her for me too, bye...I really hope this doesn’t happen again. 

Erika: I don’t know sis, what are you going to do, what can you do? I have no idea, like you said people don’t see the future when they dream, but for some reason you do, I hope the answer comes in one of your dreams too. Bye...let’s talk later. 

Vanessa is thinking: 

Can I live like this? Sleep was my way of escaping reality, my way of surviving were my dreams, what am I supposed to do now that...I’m afraid of falling asleep?! Can I live without the choice of not being able to choose if I want to see the future or not? The thought of seeing something I can’t bring myself to believe in or to even speak of it. I could live with the thought of sometimes seeing my future, but not somebody else's, that is just too scary...I can live knowing I’m going to die tomorrow, but I can’t live knowing somebody else’s, whether I know the person or not, it will torment me, why did I see it, what was I supposed to do, should I blame myself for it, or is it just some type of karma I’ll have to live with. Can I live like this? 

… 

I had a dream...they told me to become the silence, and in the dream, I did...I don’t know what the heck it means, but I know how it feels...and now I’m scared to fall asleep. 

… 

Where is my phone?... Wait, where am I? Am I still asleep?

Vanessa hears a noise...

Hello...is anybody there? This is a dream, right? Are you the one showing me the future? Show yourself!

Vanessa hears a calm voice coming from a place without light, so she couldn't see who was standing there, or if there was somebody at all...The voice said:

Yes...soon you will know who I am and who are you!

...

Without even realizing she had falling asleep, Vanessa wakes up and thinks to herself:

Who I am?... Who am I?

July 23, 2021 12:30

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.