Shatter Gets Axed

Written in response to: All clocks suddenly stop. Write about what happens next.... view prompt

35 comments

Adventure Romance Sad

    As Carli ran off in the Seattle snow, I felt my heart break. I then felt my ribs do the same as Wolfie squeezed the life out of me. 

Let me explain.

    When I was ten, I found a mask. 

    This mask put me into the body of a baby in the Stone Age. Since then, I have reincarnated over and over and over again. I have lived many lives over the years but three things have remained the same. 1. I have superpowers. 2. I have a list of bad people that I either have to kill or capture in that life time. 3. I fall in love. 

When I died the last time, I reappeared in my original body at ten years old, at the very second that I touched the mask for the first time. Now, seven years later, I continue to use the mask to help free the world of as many bad people as I can. In my first life I was given a name that I decided to keep as a handle for my crime fighting alter ego: Shatter. 

    Now that that’s out of the way, here’s what just happened:

    Carli flipped the switch on the radio I gave her and I teleported to Seattle which was where she was. When I got there, I was surprised to see Tania (or as I call her, Wolfie) running towards me. You see, Wolfie was my wife in one of my past lives. I loved her so much, but that was in Medieval England! Before I could say anything, she ran up and kissed me. Carli, seeing me kiss another girl, then ran off. 

    Now that you’re caught up, here’s what happened next:

    I pried Wolfie off of me and removed my mask. 

    “What are you doing here?” I asked, “How are you here?”

    “It doesn’t matter, my love,” she said, “what matters now is that I am here with you and I will never leave you again.” 

    Then, all of a sudden, 

    BONG!

    I heard a loud noise as if a giant clock had just struck midnight. 

    I looked at my watch, and all the hands had stopped moving. In fact, everything had stopped moving. Humans seemed to be unaffected, but everything else froze in place. 

    Wolfie and I looked at each other, confused. Then, I heard the all powerful voice of a woman boom through the air.

    “MY AVATARS HAVE BOTH EMERGED,” the voice said, “ONE BORN OF SPACE, THE OTHER, BORN OF ICE. SISTERS UNITED. BUT WILL THIS WORLD SURVIVE?”

    Once the voice was gone, everything began moving again. 

    Wolfie looked at me and said, “Aldway, I’m scared.”

    I put my mask on and said, “Let’s go find Carli, if something’s going on, I need to know that she’s safe.”

    Wolfie smiled and said, “Ah, the noble Sir Shatter, always wishing to defend the weak, some things never change.”

    I ran through the snowy Seattle night, with my undead wife in tow, to find Carli. Knowing Carli, I ran through an ally cause that’s what she would do if she wanted to lose a tail. She would run through allies and then through the back door of some restaurant or bar. A few moments after I began my chase, I found the transmitter I had given Carli for Christmas, abandoned in the snow. I stored it in my pocket dimension, ready to return it to Carli by any means necessary.

    “My love, my husband,” said Tania, “we have so much to discuss. It has been so long and…”

“Tania!” I said to interrupt her, which scared her because I never called her Tania, it was always Wolfie, “Something is going on and I could never forgive myself if Carli got hurt.”

Wolfie looked at me for a moment, sighed, then smiled and said, “You and I against whatever this strange world could wage against us. Oh, I have missed you so.” 

We looked into each other’s eyes for what felt like forever, until I heard Carli scream. 

Me and Wolfie immediately ran down the ally towards the scream as we heard more sounds of a struggle. When I arrived at the scene, Carli was gone, but it was obvious that she had put up a fight. There were two sets of footprints in the snow. There was a gun in the snow that looked like it came out of a comic book with Carli’s name carved into the handle. I stashed it with the transmitter. Then I saw something scary. Lodged in the ally dumpster was an axe made of ice, but as sharp as a steel sword. It looked like an axe that I hadn’t seen in a long time but it seemed impossible. 

I needed to find Carli, so I followed the footprints down to Elliot Bay. Me and Wolfie hid under a boat dock as we heard Carli and her captor, apparently female, conversed. 

“What is this?” Asked the kidnapper, “”Is this Valhalla? Where am I? And what is this language I am speaking?” 

“Valhalla?” Carli asked, “This is Seattle and if you don’t let me go, my associates will bring a world of pain down upon you.”

“Ah, war language,” the woman said, “now that, I understand perfectly.”

Upon hearing that, I jumped into my PD (Pocket Dimension), pulled out my favorite sword, and reappeared behind Carli and her kidnapper. 

“Don’t you dare lay another finger on her!” I shouted. 

The kidnapper turned around. She had many scars all over her body. She was wearing a coat that still had the tag on it. In fact, all the clothing she was wearing looked to be stolen. Her hair was braided like they did in Viking times. There was something familiar about her, one of my lives was in the Viking age, though I was a girl in that life, so there was no way that this young woman, who looked to be no older than 20, could recognize me. 

“That sword,” she said as she let go of Carli, “where did you steal that blade?!”

At that moment, another axe of ice formed in her hand like magic.

“Wait,” I said, “you know this sword?”

“Yes, it has belonged to my family for as long as anyone can remember. Let the history books show that Embla The Strong slayed the strange man who wrongfully wielded her family’s sword!”

Embla charged at me as I realized who she was.

She was my sister from a past life! 

Honestly, I was happy to see her, until she swung her axe at my head. 

I ducked and when she swung again, I blocked with my sword. When Embla went for a third strike, seaweed came up from the lake and grabbed her. The seaweed then lifted her up a few feet into the air.

Honestly?

Weirdest day of any of my lives. 

Wolfie walked over and said, “I believe you should know, I have special abilities now.”

That would have been useful to know before then, right?! But I didn’t want to tell her that seeing as she is my wife and has just come back from the dead and can control plants apparently!

Man, my life is complicated.

But wait, 

Cause just like a bad infomercial,

There’s more!

At that moment, helicopters flew in from every direction shooting spotlights onto me, Embla, and Wolfie.

“STAND DOWN!” They said, “THIS IS THE HOUSE OF THE UNKNOWN! YOU ARE ALL UNDER ARREST!!”

I just looked at Carli and said, “What have you done?”

“My job,” she said with tears rolling down her eyes, “and now you’re coming with us.”

I didn’t even try to run. I couldn’t. Not from her. They took us somewhere, I don’t know where, but that’s where I am. Is it messed up that I still love her? Yeah, I said it, I love Carli Evans. Is that messed up? She betrayed me! AND I have a wife who I also love! But none of that matters, does it? Either way, I don’t get a happy ending. So I guess I should tell you my name. My name is Jack Smith. I’m not the HOU director’s grandson, I didn’t ask for this life, but it found me anyway. It’s sad though, isn’t it? I’m gonna die here, and I’m pretty sure that this time, I’m not gonna come back.

December 22, 2021 04:16

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

35 comments

TJ Squared
04:20 Jan 18, 2022

hey Cooper! Just checking in since it's been a while. How are you?

Reply

Cooper Armstrong
17:24 Jan 18, 2022

Hey Wolfie. I’ve been going through some stuff, but I’m getting through it. How are you doing?

Reply

TJ Squared
01:52 Jan 19, 2022

I hope it’ll get better for you <3 Doing alright.

Reply

Cooper Armstrong
02:55 Jan 19, 2022

Good. I’m glad. You post anything new lately?

Reply

TJ Squared
02:58 Jan 19, 2022

:) yeah actually. I noticed that you did, imma go read it rn

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
TJ Squared
21:59 Jan 01, 2022

I literally laughed out loud at this: “Man, my life is complicated. But wait, Cause just like a bad infomercial, There’s more!” XDDD that’s a creative way to put it lol. Ack suspenseeeeeeeeeeeee I just wanna turn the page and find out what happensssssssss!!!! Oof Carli, bringing in the unknown people to the house of the unknown. She did just do her job, but she sounded bitter about it cause y’know Shatter betrayed her (in a way). I love how you brought that across by showing, not telling. Can’t wait (even though I have to) for the next pa...

Reply

Cooper Armstrong
00:37 Jan 02, 2022

Happy New Year! AND YOU HAS POWERS!

Reply

TJ Squared
01:36 Jan 02, 2022

You too lol Yesh I sawwwwww

Reply

Cooper Armstrong
02:05 Jan 02, 2022

Ok, now let me thank you for your comment: THANK YOU! Honestly this was so nice. And yes, I wanted her to be bitter, hence the tears I shed every single time I read that part. And in Shatter’s defense, he didn’t do nothing. You were dead. He loved you. But you were dead.

Reply

TJ Squared
02:59 Jan 02, 2022

No thank YOU for writing the story! Yeah. True true lol

Reply

Cooper Armstrong
16:13 Jan 03, 2022

XD

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Lilliane Wei
20:14 Dec 28, 2021

Wow, Carli, she did her job :( I wonder where the story will go from here, there are so many characters in play omg. And Jack Smith? Did I miss something? Also, I don't think you have to give Shatter's backstory every time you write a story that begins with him because the way you're writing, each short story is like a chapter of a giant book. If you keep introducing the same character the same way, it could get repetitive, you know? Just some food for thought, you don't have to do it of course. If you like the way it is, don't follow my d...

Reply

Cooper Armstrong
22:07 Dec 28, 2021

Yeah. Thank you! But in my head there are so so so many more characters (spoiler alert). Shatter is not the person that the HOU director thought he was. He is, in fact, not her grandson. Hmm, ok. I’ll keep that in mind. I just think of it as a recap almost. But now that I think about it, u might be right. I’ll ask some others, see what they think. Thank you so much for these reviews they are so nice. Have you read Awaken yet? Same. -Cooper

Reply

Lilliane Wei
22:17 Dec 28, 2021

Spoilers!! 🚨 Oop, what happened to the grandson 0_0 Yeah, of course!! I always love reading good stories anyway so it's not like it's a chore or anything ;) I have read Awaken and I left a comment there too lol -Livi

Reply

Cooper Armstrong
22:25 Dec 28, 2021

Oh, sorry lol. You’ll see. Maybe. Maybe you won’t. Great! -Cooper

Reply

Lilliane Wei
22:34 Dec 28, 2021

XD no problem -Livi

Reply

Cooper Armstrong
22:35 Dec 28, 2021

Really? Cause I just saw ur reply. -Cooper

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Dhwani Jain
15:08 Dec 27, 2021

4 new stories!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Dhwani Jain
12:21 Dec 22, 2021

You are on a streak!! You're adding new stories each day! That's so nice. I will get to them soon

Reply

Cooper Armstrong
15:10 Dec 22, 2021

I do my best. I can’t wait to hear your opinion as well as your critiques on how I can do better.

Reply

Dhwani Jain
06:57 Dec 23, 2021

:) Will do surely after tomorrow

Reply

Cooper Armstrong
17:48 Dec 25, 2021

Ok.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.