13 comments

Sad Romance Fiction

This story contains themes or mentions of physical violence, gore, or abuse.

TW: War, swearing.


My country is screwed. Why? Chickpeas. I’ll get to that.

The ground trembled beneath our feet. The screen went blank just as the film was reaching the climax. The lights went out. Some ran for the emergency exit. I didn’t see the point. You can’t outrun a missile. If we were being bombed and the ceiling hadn’t collapsed, we were as safe as anywhere we could run to.

My wife’s tears glittered in the dark. White light poured in through the emergency exit. Dust and rubble in the world beyond were framed by the black cinema. The rectangular portal to a warzone.

“Should we run?” Asked the love of my life. “I thought we were safe here. They said we were safe.”  Brown eyes were black in the dark. The whites of her eyes were blue, reflecting the seats that had been full of cinephiles moments before.

“We’re safe gorgeous,” I said, putting all the calm I could muster into my words. My hands closed over hers as the world outside exploded. Shaking in terror, the cinema made a liar of me. “We know the north is safe. The car is parked outside. We’ll go to the car. I can drive. Can you do that?”

Fear added a cognitive delay. She was a rabbit in the headlights. She nodded when the message penetrated her terror.

My wife is autistic. She hates unexpected loud noises. The cinema is her limit. We don’t see horror movies or action movies, anything that’s going to throw in sudden bangs or jump scares.

“I’m going to guide you, alright? You can put your hands over your ears, and I’ll walk with you to the car. Are you ready?” I look at her, speaking slowly.

“Yes,” she said. Her hands clamped down over her ears. I put my hand on her back. She doesn’t let anyone else except me and her parents touch her. She still winces as I touch her. Once contact is made she’s fine, but she says the initial feeling of someone else putting a hand on her makes her uncomfortable.

She was shaking as we walked. Having to focus on her calmed me down. Getting her to safety was more important than nonsense around us. An explosion nearby shook the ground. My love trembled, knees shaking as we walked.

People ran north. The building across the road was rubble. A hand with a ring on it hung limp from the rubble. Our neighbours have a lot to answer for.

Rubble had turned our yellow car grey. I reached for the keys in my pocket.

BANG!

She was screaming.

I looked for blood, for any injury.

It was the noise. She hates the noise.

“We need to get in the car, can you hear me?” I opened the door.

She was tearing at her hair.

“Please, beautiful. You need to get in the car.” I wanted to pick her up and put her in the back seat but when she’s freaked out, she fights.

BANG!

Behind us the cinema took a direct blow. The screen where we had been watching a kid’s film collapsed in on itself.

“We need to go,” I said. Trying to be calm when the world was exploding around me was impossible. My heart was a machine gun rattle, and my nerves were shot. Dealing with one of her breakdowns is stressful enough.

Information sunk through her panic, and she threw herself into the car without me having to touch her. I sobbed with relief as I closed the door gently, always gently.

She was rocking herself in the back seat as I started the car.

Tires crunched on the rubble of ruin. My wife screamed in the back of the car, louder than the explosions outside. I had to roll down the windows to save my ears. Trying to drive around the dead, I was glad the beauty in the back seat wasn’t paying attention. As soon as we were out of the city, I put my foot down.

The car roared down the road. I kept going until we were stopped at an army checkpoint. I had to show the soldiers our identification. They wanted to know why my wife was bracing herself in the fetal position. My explanation received only blank faces from the young men in their camouflage uniforms.

“Fucking chickpeas,” said one of the soldiers with the fluffy upper lip fuzz of a first moustache.

The invaders are the world’s largest producer of chickpeas. We produced a lot at the start of the war as well. Our mutual neighbour imports almost half of its staple food from us. Now that we can’t sell them the chickpeas their only supplier is our invasive imperial neighbour. The security pact of mutual defence between us and the chickpea lovers meant nothing when they had their biggest food source cut off.

I drove past silos waiting to be emptied. There’s nowhere for them to go now. We won’t starve but we don’t have the firepower to win this war alone. The help we needed isn’t coming.

The young men drafted to lay down their lives in the name of liberty are dying because of chickpeas. It’s mad. Every day the news is full of faces. Soldiers shot in combat. Civilians dead in their homes or lying in the streets.

I had only just signed the papers on our new house when the war began. All our savings went into bricks and mortar as tanks rolled across the border.

We ran. Life is more important than anything we left behind but still, it hurts. We had a sweet country home near the border. It was quiet. No loud cars, nothing to set off my wife.

The further we are chased north the more people there are. People grieving for a dying nation. No one does that quietly. People think she’s cold when she puts on the noise cancelling headphones to block out the sounds of grief. They think she’s mad when she starts screaming. All she needs is quiet. All we need is peace.

Fucking chickpeas.

May 26, 2022 07:44

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

13 comments

Annalisa D.
15:21 Oct 13, 2022

The opening to this really intrigued me with wanting to know what chickpeas had to do with it. I like them. I kind of expected it to go a different way, but then having read it, it makes sense. It does seem like wars are sometimes over things that are very simple and seemingly irrelevant when you pull them out of context. It's awful how much harm people can inflict for things that aren't that important. I think you did a good job creating a moving story and a terrifying situation to be in. The contrast of seeing a movie and then having the w...

Reply

Graham Kinross
21:23 Oct 13, 2022

Thank you, this was inspired by watching and being depressed by the news. I’m addicted to the news even though there’s never much good news. I need more headline articles about cute baby animals.

Reply

Annalisa D.
22:02 Oct 13, 2022

Yeah balancing it out with positive things is important. The world can seem all bad quickly with the news but there are lots of good things too

Reply

Graham Kinross
22:13 Oct 13, 2022

I like to watch the Russell Howard Hour, it’s mostly British stuff but he does upbeat stuff as well when he’s noted what sucks this week.

Reply

Annalisa D.
15:01 Oct 14, 2022

That's good to offer both. Sometimes I think the local news wants it to sound like the world is ending. They get as dramatic as possible. It's good you found a better source.

Reply

Graham Kinross
20:45 Oct 14, 2022

You should have a look, see if it’s your sense of humour. It’s a little bit like the John Oliver Show or The Daily Show with Trevor Noah. I like Patriot Act with Hassan Menhaj as well. None of them do the balance with good news as much though.

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
14:16 May 26, 2022

Well done! Very well written and vivid. It's great how this story has a few different dimensions to it, especially how he deals with his partner and her issues in the middle of the chaos, which makes the story feel a lot closer to the reader and more meaningful. My only advice might be to delete the paragraph at the end about the nephew or put it earlier as it adds a new character when the main story about the couple escaping and the nation suffering in a war is wrapping up.

Reply

Graham Kinross
13:08 May 27, 2022

Thank you. I deleted. Then I fixed the paragraph indentation but it's decided not to save that change and I'm sick of it doing that so I give up. Thank you for the critique Scott.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Seán McNicholl
07:57 May 30, 2022

Really enjoyed this Graham, thanks for posting! Would love to see it fleshed out into a longer story, there’s so much going on, it leaves you wanting more! Well done!

Reply

Graham Kinross
10:01 May 30, 2022

Thank you Seán.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Aoi Yamato
02:33 Feb 21, 2024

Funny name for the story. I like this but prefer more fantasy. You stil have no new story. Why?

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.