0 comments

Sad Suspense Thriller

In San Francisco, northern California, on a cold night, a girl named Jenny was looking out of the window and sighting the mysterious view out there at midnight. There was a lot of fog outside with the trees whirling in the cold cloudy mist which was spread in the whole area. It was Thursday night and the mid of December and Jenny was having her winter vacations. Jenny came to California for her studies alone leaving her family in Barcelona. 

          She lived in a small apartment distant from the social areas. It was because she was an introvert and liked being alone. The unmerciful coldness of December made Jenny wear a thick furry sweater and wool trousers on and drink a mug full of warm misty coffee. After finishing her delighted coffee, she instantly stood up from the soft sofa in her room and went to the bathroom to brush her teeth. She untied her hair from a bun and buried herself in to a cozy warm blanket. “Whoopsies!” uttered Jenny because she forgot to turn off the heater. She then stood up with a pissed off face from her warm blanket on an utmost cold night. She turned off the heater and rushed back to the blanket before she started shivering. Something was strange about that night though, it was getting colder every hour later at night.

     The hollow silence in that area made Jenny feel a bit weird so she decided to listen to some funky songs though she was damn sleepy. There was a sudden thunderstorm outside but Jenny was unfamiliar with it as she was listening to songs. After some time, the thunderstorm slowed down. Jenny had switched off the lights of the apartment and shut the windows due to the coldness but her room’s lamp was on and the blinds were raised so the outside view was visible. After a long while there was sudden hit of a rock on her window which grabbed Jenny’s attention. She got terrified by that threatening sound so she rushed to the window and with one immediate sight of the window, she put the blinds down and took a long breath.  

     All in a flash and unexpectedly, the light went off due to the power cut off which shocked Jenny. It was a very cold and unmerciful night with strange howling wind sounds and darkness. The sudden silence made Jenny feel a bit scared though she was very fearless. Jenny noticed that her phone’s battery was almost gonna die so she switched off her phone for good. She buried herself down in the blanket. The hollow darkness and silence and the wild howling of wind was like an abstract! There was a lucent lavender blue ray of light coming from the edges of the window through the blind. Jenny felt a little hungry even though she had her dinner late so she decided to get a snack from the kitchen. She tried to turn the lamp on but couldn’t as she totally forgot that there was a power cut. “Oh shoot! There’s a power cut. She switched on her phone’s light and came back after taking some snacks. She took a bag of spicy chips and rushed to her bed. She played her songs back and started eating the chips. Time passed by and after a while, she heard a ringtone and noticed that she got a text from an unknown number, the text said, “Hello miss! I may not be able to properly reveal my identity until I would meet you. I am a worker of Mr. Liam and he has handed me a letter that must be delivered to you urgently so I am looking forward to see you. I am waiting for you at the door of your house, Thank you.

     Jenny got a bit confused though because she never even knew who Mr. Liam was and how that man got her number. She begin thinking whether she would go out there or not because she had a doubt on that person too. Maybe that person was lying to her. She decided to go out there and was fearless, she wore boots and put on her jacket and straight away went to the main door. With a quiet sigh, she slowly opened the door and got surprised after viewing that indescribable figure. He was a tall guy wearing black pants and black hood which was covering his head. Those black bangs on his forehead which were covering half of his eyes. He was wearing a wallet chain at the left side and was holding a letter. Jenny got incommunicable after seeing that dreadful figure.

     “Umm… Miss?” Asked the man. “Oh yes. Sorry, but are you the person who texted me?” asked Jenny. “Yes, you’re right! I am Jayden Davis and I am a worker of Mr. Liam who has handed me a letter which has to be delivered to you.” “Hmm…. Who is Mr. Liam and may I know how did you get my number mister? Jayden replied. “Mr. Liam gave me your number in case I needed to contact and to be honest… I have no clue about your and Mr. Liam’s relation but all I know is that you had a deal with Mr. Liam a year ago. He had some concerns with that same deal so he is looking forward to meet you.” Jenny got confused because she never remembered that she had a deal with this man. “Is your name…? Jenny”? Jayden asked. “Y-yes but h-how do you know? Replied Jenny with a shaky voice. “It’s not worthy of telling… anyways I need to take you to Mr. Liam right now, Please let me know if you’re ready. “ I will go myself tomorrow morning”. Jenny replied. “But he needs to meet you right now”. Said Jayden with an insisting voice. Jenny noticed that Jayden had a tiny gun and the right side of this pant which horrified her. She turned back to her door and while she was taking her step back inside, Jayden stopped her and said. “Let me make one think clear to you Miss Jenny… If you won’t take any action to what I said, you may be in danger so please take the right decision”. 

   After hearing this all, Jenny got terrified and rushed inside the apartment and locked the door. She hid her mouth with her hands and started breathing fast. She rushed to her bedroom and looked down from the window whether that guy was still there. That stubborn guy was still there standing still holding the letter. After seeing this, Jenny started breathing hard with her mouth open. She knew that she was in danger in the coming moments. Luckily the light came back which game a relief to Jenny. She heard a ringtone again from that same unknown number. It said. “Are you sure you want to face harm and danger? I’m giving you some more time but very little… jenny, I’ll start my count from ten. After reading this message she quickly opened the contact and dialed 911 and before she connected the call, there was a sudden power cut, she rushed to the window and saw that the guy was not there so she ran downstairs to her lobby’s window and saw the guy was breaking the transformer which had the power line that was attached to Jenny’s home. After seeing this, tears started flowing from her eyes. She locked all the windows and doors and tried to connect to something but there was no other net near her apartment and her own network was not functioning.

    Jenny decided to face that guy, Jayden because she didn’t wanted to face any more harm. She tied her hair, zipped up her jacket and again slowly opened the door. She saw the same guy standing there. While clearing her throat, Jenny said, I’m ready to go. “Ok then”! Jayden replied. After he said this, all in a sudden, it started raining. The guy went to his car and took out an umbrella and handed it to Jenny. She put it up with no expressions. Before following that guy, she asked standing still “I see you have a gun in your pocket… what if you shoot me?” Jayden turned back and with a smile he said “I bet I won’t kill you until you say so and even if I kill you, I won’t kill you with this gun… Miss Jenny”. Jenny got shocked after hearing this but followed that guy to his car and sat on the backseat. After a lot of time passed they ended up at a small hut-type house with small lanterns hanging on the edges of it. Jenny was feeling too sleepy as it was almost three at night. Jayden opened the car’s door for Jenny. She got out of the house in a shock and asked the guy “Where did you bring me Mister”? Jayden replied “To Mr. Liam’s house”.

    Before going to take a step into Mr. Liam’s house, she still asked Jayden whether he was lying to her but Jayden smiled and went into the house, she followed him and saw man sitting on chair beside a table. She asked Jayden if he was Mr. Liam by expressions and Jayden shook his head and let her go talk go so she could talk to him she stood in front of Mr. Liam and while clearing her thought she said hello Mr. Liam! I have heard that you invited me for a meeting about a deal. Well to be honest… I think I never had a deal with you sir… clear it today please… insisted Jenny. Mr. Liam smiled and sighed. Well… hello Miss Jenny… Seems like you’ve been forgotten the deal or are you faking it? “Ahem… One thing must be clear right here and right at the moment Mr. Liam, I won’t be faking anything tonight so please make everything intelligible right now”.

      “About seven months ago, Miss Jenny… you told me that you came from Barcelona to San Francisco for your studies but you came for a compact deal with me… Those days Barcelona was insecure and you needed strict security for you family there. Jenny fell into daze! She on spur of moment retained the deal… She started panting. “B-but that deal was made on one condition that i-if I p-pay you”. Yes Miss Jenny but you broke your promise and put yourself and your family in exposure. W-what do you mean b-by that? This wasn’t my intention Miss Jenny but…we failed to protect your parents and they were under severe threat and were insecure… I’m sorry to say this but we couldn’t save them.

   WHAT?! I can’t believe this! NO! What did you do? Jenny’s eyes got teary she started crying and breathing hard. She fell on the floor and had no clue of what to say or do. “You may leave Miss Jenny…” Jenny went outside of the house and sat on the cold wet steps and became blue. She was feeling as if she was numb. She started screaming in trauma! She noticed someone calmly coming towards her. She stood up quickly and noticed it was Jayden.

  She ran towards him and held his hood tightly and said you wanted to kill me until I said so right? RIGHT? “Yes, right… said Jayden. Kill me… KILL ME THEN! She screamed horribly in pain and distress. “If you insist and right after saying this, Jayden took out a knife and without wasting a second, he stabbed her with the knife in her stomach. She puked will blood all over him and he stabbed again more harder this time and stabbed her until she was dead on the floor. It started raining again and was getting worse time by time. Her eyes were still open but she was no longer alive. Jayden didn’t have the intention to kill her but he did what Jenny deserved. Jayden left the knife on her stomach and took a letter out from his pocket, the same letter which was given by Mr. Liam to him. He put it in her hand. He smiled softly and left…

June 11, 2021 18:54

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.