1 comment

Suspense Adventure

Any Port in a Storm

Sunlight slowly crept around the edge of the boat’s canopy to awaken me from a dreamless sleep. At first I thought I had crashed on my patio at home from a night of drinking but then recognized the gentle rocking of the boat I was in, gently rocking due to the wind being calmed. I was, in fact, in my boat not at dock in San Diego but adrift. My boat, a thirty three foot sailboat that had been tested on the Pacific waters many times and a seaworthy vessel that I was proud to own, but what the hell had happened last night for me to be out here drifting? How long had I been out here? I finally regained my senses allowing me to take stock of a massive headache or hangover ringing in my head and not being helped by the sunlight or oppressive heat that hung over the boat making movement a challenge. Slowly standing I squinted and did a 360 degree search of the horizon only to find that there was no horizon, no land in any direction just calm water meeting sky everywhere I looked. It was a little disconcerting but the many times I had been on the water as a boy and through the years learning the ins and outs of sailing from my father provided me a confidence that would now serve me well even if I didn’t know where I was and alone. Alone, was I alone? Was someone on board still sleeping?

I went below and searched the cutty and bunks and confirmed that I was alone but there was evidence that someone had been on board and that some kind of struggle had taken place. When on a boat, it had been taught to me at an early age to keep anything that wasn’t secured to be stowed away so in the event of rough seas any innocuous items wouldn’t become projectiles and create a safety issue. Glasses in the sink, an empty wine bottle on it’s side on the floor, cabinets unsecured with the contents still intact leading me to the presumption that the sea must have been calmed for quite awhile. My head was still throbbing from what I thought was a hangover so I grabbed some aspirin from the medical kit. As I stood up I happened to glance in the mirror and was stopped cold, it was no hangover, I had a bruised welt on my forehead. I thought for a moment, indeed there had been a struggle and I had been in it. What the hell had happened last night?

I became very concerned and decided to contact the Coast Guard for assistance not knowing how long this calm would continue. In horror, I saw the ship to shore radio had been smashed, I was becoming panicked. Typically I keep my phone in my left pocket but felt that it wasn’t there nor anywhere. I started frantically searching in all corners of the boat for my only possible mode of communication, oh God had it gone overboard?! I collected myself and tried to think of my next move, I had to stay calm like the air around me.

I noticed the sail wasn’t unfurled so I must have ventured this far under engine power, so I’ll get my bearings and head back the same way. I estimated that land was forty, maybe fifty, miles east and being ten thirty in the morning, I figured reaching land would happen sometime in the late afternoon, at that point, I could anchor and get assistance from another boater to reach shore

First thing would be to call Kelly, I’m sure she’s worried sick as to the whereabouts of her future husband and then get in touch with Rick to pick me up...oh yeah, I was supposed to meet Rick last night for drinks as a prelim to the wedding… what the hell happened last night.

I went below to see if there was water in the refrigerator to quench my ungodly thirst and noticed Kelly’s denim shirt, that she kept on board, laying on the floor. I bent down and picked it up to rehang it, it was drenched. I thought that was strange and realized that I needed to head back and try to piece together the events of the previous night. I went on deck to start the engine, reached in the compartment that housed the key and found it empty. The key was already in the ignition and in the start position, it had never been turned off. I immediately tried to determine how much fuel was left in the tanks. Empty! Last night the engine was run until the fuel ran out.

I took a long drink from the water bottle trying to remember what had transpired and who had been on the boat with me. I poured some water over my head in an attempt to cool off when a split second vision passed through my mind’s eye. I couldn’t be sure but did I see Rick? Again, I tried to recollect the night’s unknown occurrences and again nothing.

I would have to unfurl the sail if I was going to have any chance of returning to shore by dark. It occurred to me that I was still wearing the same clothes that I had worn to work, I dug into my back pocket for my wallet and, unbelievably, it was still there along with a piece of paper that felt curious. I pulled it out and held in my hand a bar napkin from a place that Rick and I frequented...Gerry’s Pub. I thought it strange that a bar napkin was in my back pocket but put it aside and focused on the task at hand, I needed to raise the sail and be prepared for the winds that would surely come to take me home.

Then, as I pulled the line to raise the sail a flurry of visions came to me like individual frames out of a movie. I remember sitting at Gerry’s alone drinking, where was Rick? We were supposed to meet right after work. He had called and said he couldn’t make it, he had to work late, a new project or something. I tried calling Kelly but my calls went to voicemail, strange, but I was getting drunk. Events were coming back to me. I don’t know what time I left the pub, it was late, but I had made the decision to stay on my boat for the night, I had done that many times before. The marina was closer than my apartment so I called a cab. We arrived at the docks shortly, I paid the cab and watched it leave. It was a beautiful night, water was calm with only a slight breeze. As I approached my boat I took in the night air and appreciated the positive effect it was having on my drunken state. I was thinking more clearly.

I was suddenly startled by a light that was on in the cabin. I had no idea of who it could be, there was never any robberies, the marina was slim pickings for thieves. I remember crouching down to be unseen and to get a better view through the cabin door window, it was hard to see but I could make out two individuals. For safety I kept a pistol stowed away on deck in the compartment with the key to the cabin door and the engine key. I maneuvered to the compartment and retrieved the gun, gaining courage I went to the cabin door to confront the intruders, I flung it open but before I could say anything I recognized Kelly and Rick. We all stood motionless for what seemed like an eternity, the impact of what had occurred began to break me down. Betrayed, playing me for a fool, when were they going to tell me about their infidelity. Rick was the first to speak, “Hey man, put the gun down” then Kelly, “Please don’t do anything stupid”. I said nothing but I was going to have my way. I locked the cabin door and started the engine. I left the marina heading due west straight out to sea, the two of them surprisingly quiet, I sat in the cockpit contemplating my next move. After a lengthy time at sea, Rick became agitated and began pounding on the door demanding to be let out so we could talk. Was he kidding? Talk about what? I told him to move to the bow and I would open the door. He did and I unlocked the cabin. I moved aft while he emerged from below. I could hear Kelly sobbing below and saw that Rick was genuinely afraid, for me that was some consolation. The engine still running I told Rick to grab two life jackets, they were going to need them for the swim back. He panicked and screamed that they would never make it and lunged at me when the gun went off. The bullet found Rick and knocked him overboard. I remember shouting to him and receiving no response, it was dark, where was he. The engine was moving us away from him steadily, I turned to shut it down when my vision caught something in the darkness. I felt a searing pain shoot through my head and started flailing uncontrollably, my fist catching Kelly square on the chin. I remember hearing a splash and then passed out.

My God...I killed them, albeit an accident, I still killed them. That’s the way the authorities would see it. I had nothing left, I would be found guilty, imprisoned with no future. I could never conjure up an alibi that would hold up. I felt sick but started to rationalize that I was the victim because of their actions. I couldn’t go back so I unfurled the sail.

The wind was starting to pick up, the sail filled, I would have it take me south.

March 06, 2024 13:18

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

19:19 Mar 14, 2024

Albert, This was a dark story. I could not find any commonality with the main character. I read the story twice to be able to offer anything valuable for you. I respect the effort you put into creating this story. I am sorry but this is not the type of story I am drawn to. Fred Gridley

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.