The Echoes of Obsidian

Submitted into Contest #263 in response to: Write the origin story of a notorious villain.... view prompt

2 comments

Science Fiction Suspense Thriller


I. The Fall from Grace

In the sprawling, gray city, where the shadows grew long and the people walked with their heads down, there was a man named Victor Blackwood. He was once known as a brilliant scientist, a man who touched the very edges of what was possible. But brilliance is a fragile thing, and the world has a way of breaking even the brightest minds.

Victor's life had been full of promise. He was engaged to Elena, a violinist whose music could silence the very heart of the city. She was his light, his reason to push the boundaries of science. Together, they dreamed of a future that shimmered with hope.

But hope is a cruel thing. One night, as a storm raged outside, Victor conducted his most daring experiment—a device to harness energy from the quantum world. Elena was with him, her music filling the lab with a calm that seemed almost out of place. Then, without warning, the device exploded. The blast was a violent tearing of reality, a shattering of everything Victor held dear.

When the dust settled, Elena was gone. Her body, her music, her warmth—vanished in an instant, leaving behind only Victor, broken and scarred, both inside and out. The world had taken his light and left him with nothing but darkness.

II. The Descent into Shadows

After the accident, Victor wandered the city like a lost ghost. He no longer recognized himself in the reflection of cracked windows. His face was twisted by the explosion, his body a shell of what it had been. But it was his mind that bore the deepest wounds.

The city, with its endless alleys and whispering streets, became a labyrinth in which Victor lost himself. The grief festered inside him, growing into something monstrous. He couldn’t return to the life he once knew. He couldn’t bear the memories of what had been, nor the pain of what would never be.

In the bowels of the city, among the forgotten and the lost, Victor found a new purpose. He used his knowledge to reshape himself, fashioning a suit of black, impenetrable armor. His face, now a mask of polished obsidian, hid the man he once was. He became Obsidian, a name that would soon be spoken in fear.

Obsidian’s path was one of destruction. The company responsible for the accident was the first to feel his wrath. He brought them down with the precision of a surgeon, slicing away their power, their money, their lives. But revenge did not bring peace. It only deepened his isolation, driving him further into the shadows.

III. The Final Betrayal

As Obsidian’s power grew, so did his reputation. The city’s underworld bent to his will, and his name became synonymous with terror. Yet, amidst his rising empire, a truth began to gnaw at him. The explosion that had taken Elena from him—was it truly an accident?

He dug into the past with the same intensity he once reserved for his scientific pursuits. What he found shook him to his core. The explosion had been no accident; it was sabotage, orchestrated by a rival scientist consumed by envy. The discovery was a dagger to Victor’s already wounded soul.

Obsidian sought out his rival, and when he found him, the confrontation was swift and merciless. The rival begged for his life, pleading for forgiveness, but Obsidian’s heart was stone. He exacted his revenge with cold efficiency, yet as the life drained from his enemy’s eyes, Victor felt no relief—only a deeper, more consuming emptiness.

IV. The City's Sorrow

With his rival dead and his revenge complete, Obsidian turned his fury on the city itself. He unleashed a wave of destruction, hacking into its very infrastructure, bringing chaos and darkness to every corner. The city that had once been a place of dreams was now a landscape of nightmares, and Obsidian reveled in the fear he had sown.

But even in the midst of his triumph, there were moments when he thought of Elena. Her absence was a void that his power could never fill. The violin, once her voice, now lay silent, a relic of a world he could never return to.

Amidst the ruins of the city, a detective named Sarah Collins emerged as a beacon of resistance. She had followed Obsidian’s trail, piecing together the story of Victor Blackwood and the tragedy that had birthed his monstrous alter ego. In a final, desperate confrontation, she tracked him down.

Standing before him, she saw not just the villain, but the man behind the mask. She spoke to him, not as a hero to a villain, but as one human to another. She spoke of loss, of pain, of the choices that define us. For a moment, Victor hesitated. The mask of Obsidian wavered.

But the past had claimed too much of him. With a final, cold resolve, Obsidian struck, only to be captured by the very systems he had once controlled. His reign of terror was over, but the city would never be the same.

V. The Long Shadow

The city slowly rebuilt itself, piece by piece. The people tried to forget the darkness that had nearly consumed them, but the memory of Obsidian lingered. Victor Blackwood’s story became a cautionary tale, a reminder of what happens when grief turns to rage, when loss becomes an abyss.

In a quiet corner of a museum, Obsidian’s mask was displayed, a relic of fear and power. Visitors would come, look upon the cold, black surface, and whisper the name that had once struck terror into their hearts. But they would also remember the man, the broken soul who had once been a beacon of hope.

The city’s skyline, scarred but resilient, rose against the horizon. Yet in the quiet of the night, if one listened closely, they could still hear the faint echoes of a violin—a melody that spoke of love lost, of dreams shattered, and of the darkness that lies within us all.

August 16, 2024 19:49

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Kelsey Fish
22:32 Aug 22, 2024

You left me wanting more! This could easily be a full length novel. I need to hear more about his dastardly deeds and how he truly came to be so heartless! Well done, Joey!

Reply

Joey Lliso
18:26 Aug 23, 2024

Thank you, Kelsey! I'd certainly write more. I liked how it came out!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in Reedsy Studio. 100% free.