4 comments

American Contemporary Creative Nonfiction

Night time fell to the ground like a blanket. The sounds of the previous day came to a screeching halt. I awaken from my slumber and meander into the kitchen. I flip on the light over the range. I turn around slightly and notice the soft light highlighting the silhouettes of the nearby tree branches, grazing the window. I browse for an early morning treat. Not wanting to cook anything at the precise moment, I debate on either a hot beverage or a snack bar. I fill up the coffee pot with water, measure the appropriate amount, and press the start button. Then I go over to my desk and pull up my chair. I press the ON button on my laptop computer. I hear the humming sound of its processor activate in the background. I think to myself that it may be time for an upgrade. Then again, the laptop still does its job well even after several years. Just like an automobile, a tune up is probably what I need at the current moment. As I take a deep breath, I am alerted by the soft beep of the coffee pot. I arise from my seat and go into the kitchen. I select my favorite coffee mug, which has an inspirational quote printed on it. My coffee is black as night, and smooth to the taste. I remember I was introduced to coffee via cream or milk and sugar when I was younger. I eventually dropped the sweet part and relied on the natural sweetener of the cream or milk. Then, oodles of coffee blends came on the market. I was not the biggest fan of flavored coffee. I prefer the actual coffee bean taste. I, then, dropped the addition of cream or milk. I stick to a bright and balanced blend, like my personality. I take another sip and consecutively peck at the keyboard.

Night time fell to the ground like a blanket.

The world grew still, unlike the hustle and bustle during the day.

The faint chirping of crickets sounded against the night air.

The abrupt coo of an owl looking for prey, alerted anybody that heard.

I heard the random screech between neighborhood cats coming from the yard next door.

The clanking against the metal trash cans by the street.

A light colored cat reflected in the street light, ricocheted across the way into the bushes.

The world was still again.

I continue to sip my coffee as I allow the early morning to progress. I hear the quiet roar of the garbage truck empty cans up the road. I open my patio door and step out onto the balcony. I look for the source of the ambient light, which happens to be the residuals of the full moon. A faint breeze caresses me and the nearby tree branches. I peer over the railing and see a neighbor leaving for work. I am reminded that will be myself once daybreak arrives. I go back inside and turn the channel to see the daily weather forecast. Once I learn of the temperature, I turn off the television. I put my coffee mug by the kitchen sink and prepare to take a shower to start my day. I finish getting ready and gather my belongings, along with a snack bar. Daybreak peeks through my window blinds. I step out of my abode and lock the door. I look at my surroundings as I walk to my car. I select a channel on the radio to start my daily commute. After listening to brief advertisements, a catchy tune comes on as I am traveling on my way to work.

Daybreak comes into the world abruptly like high beam headlights at night.

The hustle and bustle of the new day is just beginning.

The occasional horn blowing.

The fast lane versus the slower lane.

The continuation of the proverbial rat race or dog eat dog world.

I pull into the parking lot at my place of employment. While walking into the building, I briefly touch base with a couple of random coworkers taking a smoke break. After I get to my desk, I store my belongings and go into the common area where I find other early risers ready to start the workday. I notice the updates on the bulletin board. A coworker makes a sarcastic remark about the updated material. Everybody snickers at the comment. Then a hush falls over the crowd as the boss enters into the room. The sarcastic coworker is elected to work out in the field for the day. Everybody else goes back to their respective workstations to start production.

The consecutive pecking of the keyboards.

The clicking of the auxiliary mice.

The revolution of the paper, emitting from the plotters.

The piercing sound of the saws and loud thuds from the neighboring manufacturing plant.

The mumbling of coworkers.

One by one, each of the coworkers takes interim breaks during the progression of the workday to either eat lunch or collect their thoughts. Other coworkers use the break time to run errands. The latter part of the workday grew in excitement after the errands were completed. The coworker gathered around the plotter like it was the water cooler and discussed the earlier part of the day. Laughter and snickering arose amongst them as the clock ticked on. The workday came to an end. Workers trickled out of the building to their automobiles. A line of cars formed as everybody awaited their turn to exit the lot.

The hustle and bustle of the end of the workday.

The occasional horn blowing.

The fast lane versus the slower lane.

Traffic came to an abrupt halt on the interstate and blue and red lights flashed up ahead. I channel surf as my car peers around the one in front of me. I try to see what the commotion is as I listen intently to the radio. Traffic slowly starts to accelerate as onlookers see the cause of the hold up. It is another day in paradise.  

June 05, 2021 09:02

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

4 comments

Ari Masters
17:10 Jun 12, 2021

Nice story! Lots of great uses of imagery. I think you could make the first half even stronger by varying the sentence structure a bit more, so it reads less like a list of actions. Overall, great job! I like how it focuses on the beauty of the little mundane details and relies on little moments to tell a story.

Reply

Writers Block
01:47 Jun 13, 2021

Thank you for the feedback :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
08:18 Jun 07, 2021

Great story! I really like the line “ The consecutive pecking of the keyboards.”

Reply

Writers Block
14:16 Jun 07, 2021

Thank you

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.