0 comments

General

       My eyes looked down at Serena’s arm. It was cold that day, that day in December. I hooked my arm under hers, “Do you remember that day in Oklahoma? When we were kids?” I asked. She looked at me and smiled, “Yeah I do. When we were in that park? It was cold that day, right?” She asked, looking down at me. “Yeah, it was December.” I said peacefully. She laughed under her breath, “We were so young, so free.” She said. I saw the memory in my head, the soft snow under our feet. I was sitting on a bench, sipping hot chocolate from a blue mug, Serena next to me, smiling and talking about her family. Serena pulled on my coat sleeve, pulling me out of my memory. “Why not go there right now? For good times sake?” She asked. I nodded, smiling. 

      Serena and I walked to the spot, the lake frozen over, that same bench sitting there, looking past it. I sat down on the bench and smiled at it. Serena stood over me, looking out on the lake. “Do you remember that day as vividly as I do?” She asked. I leaned back on the wooden back, “I remember sitting here, looking over the lake, sipping hot chocolate.” I said. Serena looked at me, her reddened skin showing from behind her scarf. 

       “I remember sitting here, next to you. I was thinking about you, how cute you we’re. How happy you made me.” She said, looking at the sky, smiling. I stared at her in silence, taking in how graceful she looked. “You turned to me, sipping that hot chocolate of yours, and smiled. I remember you saying, ‘You are amazing, Serena! Even if I only see it, that's okay.’ She turned to me and smiled. “Who knew only three years later we would be together again, after five long years.” She finished, the soft snow falling around her. 

       I pat the seat next to me, motioning for her to sit next to me. She sat down. I looked at the frozen lake once more, “Do you remember our first dance? It happened here, in that field.” I said pointing to a large field. I felt tears rise in my eyes, “We were dancing to ‘This is home’ I remember crying. You were leaving that night.” I said, a tear falling out of my eyes. Serena took her thumb and wiped the slowly falling tear. “Yeah. You were crying into my shoulder.” She said. 

       I took her hand, more tears falling. “We’re both lost souls, walking along with this crazy world.” I said. Serena smiled, “Were both lost souls, two lost souls who have found each other, which is fine with me.” She said. She took her hand away from me and opened her arms wide, offering a hug. I threw myself into her chest, my tears falling faster. Serena closed her arms around me, “Now we're adults. We’re still lost but lost forever.” She said. I felt the tears fall faster with each memory. I looked to the lake and saw our little shadows, frolicking in the snow, laughing and smiling. I looked at the field and saw our teenage shadows slowly dancing to the beat of our hearts and melody, my gown swaying in the wind. 

       I looked up at Serena, her face red from the cold. We’re grown now, both more mature than back then. I tightened around her, the tears falling faster. “Do you remember her? Our first encounter with hate?” I asked. I looked up at the small bench near the playground. I remember four girls, parading around us, yelling unnecessary terms. I remember their voices, their high voices spewing hatred from themselves. I remember looking down, tears falling and turning into a small puddle at my feet. I remember Serena, grasping me tightly, yelling at them to shut up repeatedly. 

       Serena stroked my hair, bringing me out of my memory once more, this time shushing me quietly under her breath. “No ones going to hurt us, no more.” She said. I let go of her and smiled. I looked at the playground, now dusty and sad. “That's where we first met, on that step.” I said. Serena smiled, “Yeah, I was so scruffy back then.” She said, the snow continuing to fall. I looked back into the past, I saw myself, neatly clean, and Serena, mud covered and scruffy. “Didn’t you ask to play? You wanted to play dolls.” She said, looking back at me. “Yeah, I remember that. Back then you had longer hair.” I recalled. I stood up and calmly walked up next to the lake. I stood next to it, recalling different memories from the past. I focused on the glistening lake, the sun reflecting off the clear, cool surface. 

       I saw Serena walk up next to me out of the corner of my eye. I saw the difference between her in the past then to her now. Back then she had a recurring look of scruffiness, always having dirt caked around her somewhere. Now, she has turned a more clean cut, having a shorter hairstyle and a more modern fashion taste, usually wearing something like turtlenecks and brown colors. I had turned out different too, back then I was more relaxed, had a pure look. Now, I wore more cool tones, I looked more mature than I did. We had changed emotionally and mentally too, Serena had gotten over her past and always was excited to look into the future. Now, I had grown out of my silliness, only to have it show up around my child and Serena. I had turned into a sturdier person, not worrying about many people besides myself. 

         I looked behind me and saw all the memories as shadows of the past. I saw Serena and I as little shadows of the past, at the bench, in the field, being paraded around. I breathed a shaky breath and tugged Serena’s sleeve. She looked behind her and smiled at me. “Rose!” I said. My daughter ran from behind a thick tree and huddled into me, smiling and laughing. I felt tears swell again but slowly fell out. Me, My daughter, adulthood, and my best friend. I left the park of memories, my wedding ring sparkling under the beautiful, December day.

July 19, 2020 07:23

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.