A Branson Family Christmas

Submitted into Contest #74 in response to: Write a story that takes place across ten days.... view prompt

1 comment

Christmas Christian Fiction

A Branson Short Story: Sequel to Grant the Grammar Guy, and A Chaotic Christmas 

Snow fell softly on this winter wonderland. Lily Branson pulled her hands up into the sleeves of her cardigan and tucked them under her arms as she looked out the window. Icicles formed overnight, and shimmering stalactites hung from the eaves of the house.

           “A beautiful sight and just in time—two days before Christmas,” Karen said, handing her sister a cup of mint tea.

           “It's perfectly lovely—our first white Christmas. We should come to Big Bear more often,” Lily replied.

           “Such a nice gift from Grandpa and Grandma Riggs—a cabin for ten days. When are they coming?”

           “Tomorrow. I can't wait for him to read Luke 2 for us.”

           “I agree. I love that he still sends a video of himself reading it when we can't be together.”

           Lily nodded. “But this year, we'll all be together!”

           “I heard that Grandma wrote another song for Grandpa. It's so romantic. They've been together for 55 years and are still in love. It gives me hope.”

           “There's always hope. I'm looking forward to hearing it.”

           “Me, too. I pray that God will grant me a marriage like theirs.”

            “Grandma told me to be specific about the man I marry. God answered her request to a T.”

           “Then I'll start asking for specifics today,” Karen said with a chuckle. “How is Grant?”

           “Fine. He's editing his newest manuscript. I haven't seen him much these last few days, but he'll be up for Christmas day. He's had his head in his book for months, and editing is a painful process. I am looking forward to not only having him here but for him to take a breath and enjoy himself.”

           Karen laughed. “And shave his neck?”

           “Yes! Good grief! I hate it when he lets his beard grow down his neck like that. It looks scruffy. I asked him to please shave before he comes.”

           “He's gorgeous, Lily. Beard or no beard.”

           “I know, and those piercing blue eyes,” Lily said, winking. “He's so good to me—a gentleman like Grandpa.”

           “Has he proposed?”

           “He knows he can't unless he asks Dad's permission,” Lily said, laughing. “I think he's a little nervous about that. You know Dad.”

           “Yep. Wouldn't be surprised if Dad brings his gun to clean.” They both laughed.

           “The cabin's great. Six bedrooms should be enough. Glad there are lots of beds. Are you taking a top bunk?”

           “Yep. You?”

           “Sure thing. Louise and Patty will want the bottom bunks, and there's a single for Heather in that huge room, too. This will be the first time, in a long time, that we're all together under the same roof. We'll build good memories this year.” 

           “Well, come on, Mom and Dad should be here soon. Let's have lunch ready,” Karen said.

           They busied themselves in the kitchen, and before long, other family members arrived. Patty and Louise were sharing an apartment, so they came in one car. Heather still lived at home, so she came with their parents. Their only brother Jon wouldn't be arriving until the dinner hour. Chatter over lunch brought everyone up to date.

           “How's Kohl, Patty?” Karen asked her sister.

           “Crazy busy. He's been searching for nursing jobs in Southern California. This long-distance business is for the birds! We've only seen each other a handful of times since last Christmas, but we talk every day and video chat every couple of days. He’s a keeper. He sent flowers again last week.”

           “How sweet,” Louise said. “I can't wait to meet him. Auntie Amanda says he's a great guy.”

           “He is. I hope he'll be able to come meet the family soon.”

           “Your mother and I want to meet him, Patty. We are concerned about this long-distance thing,” her dad said.

           “I know, Dad. It's difficult, but we're making it work. He's been putting in all the overtime he can. He moved back in with his folks last month. They offered. He helps out with the bills. He says he wants to save enough to buy a house,” Patty explained.

           “Sounds like he has a good head on his shoulders,” her mom said. “What do his parents think of him moving across the country?”

           “His grandparents live in Mesa, and his parents are planning to retire there in Leisure World. I don't think they want him to move so soon, but they are encouraging. I got to meet them during the last tour with Auntie Amanda. You'll like them. They attend a little church in their hometown, and they teach Sunday School for the youth group there.”

           “They sound like good parents,” her mom said.

           As lunch came to a close, Louise and Patty cleaned the kitchen while Heather got out the Yahtzee box. Games, family time, and sledding would occupy most of their vacation. They decided to watch Christmas movies each evening and brought movies to share. Tonight, they would watch “It's A Wonderful Life,” their dad's favorite.

           The afternoon passed as laughter filled the cabin. Jon pulled up at 5:00. 

           “Hi everyone!” he said, coming in the door and hugging his mom. “I need to grab a few more things from the car, but I'll be right back.”

           “Your dad will help,” his mom said.

           “Appreciate it.”

           The men went out and grabbed several items, having to make two trips.

           “Are we going to get a tree?” Jon asked his dad.

           “Yes. I thought we would do so tomorrow. There's a nice tree lot in town,” his dad said. “Did you bring ornaments?”

           “I did. And lights if you want to help me put them up tomorrow and take them down in nine days.”

           “Why not? This kind of vacation doesn't happen every year. Let's make it festive.”

           “Fantastic! I know it will make the girls and mom happy.”

           We'll put them up before lunch, and after lunch, we can head to the Christmas tree lot.”

           “Sounds great. I'm so glad we all are here. I can't wait for the grandparents to get here, too. Did Uncle Chris get the time off?”

           “He did. My parents, your Aunt Mary, and your Cousin Tyffany will be here as well. They have the next cabin over.”

           “When will they be here?”

           “Tomorrow sometime. Your mom's parents, too. I believe.”

           “Awesome!”

           Louise and Patty prepared meatloaf for dinner, and they all gathered in the living room to watch the movie. Like old times, they all fought over a treasured spot next to mom, who seemingly never tired of their fighting over her attention.

           With goodnights behind them, they took to their beds, looking forward to a day of decorating.

           Morning came, and all were up and ready for the day. The girls headed out to explore the area, and the men put up lights around the cabin. They ended up with enough lights for the coming trees and were well satisfied at the thought. Grandpa and Grandma Branson, Chris, Mary, and Tyffany arrived just before lunch. The kids lavished them with love and helped with their luggage.

           After lunch, they hopped in their two vans and set off for the Christmas tree lot. They found two lovely Douglas firs, and after setting up their tree in cabin one, they took the other tree over to the second cabin. Grandpa and Grandma Riggs were pulling in as they returned to cabin one.

           “Just in time to help decorate the tree!” squealed Heather.

           All the grandkids swarmed them with hugs and kisses. Jon and Grandma Riggs set up her keyboard, and she played, and they all sang carols while decorating the tree. Grandpa Riggs made his designer grilled cheese sandwiches and tomato soup for dinner. They were in the middle of “Miracle on 34th Street” when Aunt Amanda and Uncle James came in.

           “Hey, everybody!”

           “Yay! You're here!” Lily said, rushing over. “Come in and grab some popcorn.”

           Amanda Sings arranged her touring around their gathering this year. Usually, she spent the Christmas season touring, but she elected for family time when the opportunity arose. Her dad had secured the cabins early in the year and sent out the invitations. All had responded with eagerness and awaited the chance to all be together.

           Saving a special hug for her dad, Amanda said, “The cabin is great, Dad, and so festive. Thank you.”

           “You're more than welcome. Glad you're happy with it. I sure am—and thrilled to have our family together for Christmas. Well, grab a shoehorn. We'll get the rest of your things out of the car when the movie's over. Are you hungry? I made grilled cheese tonight.”

           “Starving. I'm always up for your grilled cheese, Dad. Thanks.

           After eating, Uncle James brought in their belongings, and they enjoyed S'mores made in the fireplace. While they spent the rest of the evening chatting and bringing out gifts to place under the tree, Grandpa Riggs got the ham ready and in the roaster oven for overnight cooking. Grandpa Riggs sat near the fireplace before bed, his old Bible in his big hands, opened to Luke 2. Finding places to sit, they all settled in for the Nativity story.

           Christmas morning in cabin one, Grandpa Riggs started preparing for the big meal. Up before dawn, he put the turkey in the oven and checked the menu to make sure he had all he needed. Then he sat for his quiet time with the Lord as he awaited the rising of the rest of the household.

           Heather had decided to stay in cabin two, and in the morning, she and Grandma Branson busied themselves with making a mountain of French toast. There were so many in attendance, they had to eat in shifts.

           After breakfast, they all settled in cabin one to exchange gifts. They spent the rest of the morning and early afternoon chatting. Grant pulled in about 1:30. After introductions, he and Lily approached Patty.

           “We have a present for you, girl. Come with us,” Grant said.

           “What is it?” Patty asked when they got outside.

           “It isn't really a what, but a who,” Lily said.

           Patty stood in shock as Kohl got out of Grant's car. Patty ran and practically knocked Kohl into the snow. “I can't believe you're here! How did you all manage it?”

           “Surprise! I messaged Patty on Facebook, and we arranged it. Grant picked me up at the airport this morning. Don't worry. I called your dad to make sure it was all right, and apparently, there is an extra bed in Jon's room.”

           “I'm so happy and overwhelmed, and I can't wait for you to meet everyone. Speaking of being overwhelmed, pay attention, there are a ton of relatives in there,” Patty said, steering him toward the cabin.

           With introductions made, they played games to the sounds of Christmas carols and the smell of Christmas dinner wafting from the kitchen. At 3:00, Grandpa Riggs invited them all to squeeze in the dining room to say grace.

         The women chatted in the living room after dinner while the men gathered wood for the cabins. They came back about an hour later.

           “What took so long?” Karen asked.

           “We decided to go into town and get a few supplies. We might get snowed in for a couple of days.” Uncle James replied. “Grant, Jon, and Kohl will bring in the wood.”

           “Grandma, when they all come in, will you sing us the song you wrote for grandpa?” Karen asked.

           “Sure, honey. I'd love to.”

           When their grandma sang her Christmas love song, the girls cried. Even a few of the guys had “male eye sweat,” as Grandpa Riggs called it.

           “I hope, someday, to find love like that,” Karen said, hugging Louise.

           “Me, too,” Louise answered.

           “Both of you will,” Grandma Riggs said. “Pray for specifics.”

           “We will, Grandma,” Karen said.

           “What's the movie tonight?” Louise asked.

           Jon overheard. “Elf. It's my turn,” he said, laughing.

           “Hilarious movie! Let's do it!”

           The grandparents went to bed early, but the kids laughed and carried on until well after midnight.

           It snowed off and on the next two days, so they stayed inside playing games. Karen spent the 26th baking cookies in cabin two with her dad, Grandma Branson, and Aunt Mary. Auntie Amanda and Uncle James made enchiladas for dinner. Plates of oatmeal raisin and chocolate chip cookies were devoured for dessert as they watched “The Grinch,” Karen's choice. 

           On the 27th, the family played Canasta for hours, some learning the game for the first time. Louise and her mom made homemade pretzels to pair with the spaghetti Grandma Branson made. Heather's choice for movie night, “The Santa Clause,” made the evening a hit.

           The 28th showed bright blue skies with no chance of snow. The older folks stayed in and visited in the quiet of the day. The aunts and uncles went along with the younger set to a sledding hill where they spent an amazing afternoon. Gloves and scarves accompanied heavy coats and knitted caps on this trip, and after several hours of sledding, they arrived back at the cabins, with rosy cheeks and red noses, for hot chocolate and cookies.

           A welcomed meal of homemade beef and vegetable soup with sourdough bread filled their tummies. Grandma and Grandpa Riggs brought “The Spirit of Christmas” for the movie, which rounded out the day quite nicely.

           The morning of the 29th dawned pretty and clear, so they all piled into the cars and headed to the small quaint town of Big Bear Lake. They split up and spent the day looking through antique shops and stopping for hot drinks at coffee shops. They rendezvoused at 3:00, and most headed back to the cabins. Lily and Grant, and Patty and Kohl stayed in the little town for a quiet dinner. When they returned to the cabin, Lily brought out her favorite Christmas movie, “Home Alone.” Belly aching laughter had Grandma Riggs snorting in an unladylike manner, adding to the hilarity of their evening movie ritual.

           “Goodnight, Louise.”

           “Goodnight, Lily.”

           “Goodnight, Grant.”

           “Goodnight, Grandpa.”

           “Goodnight, John-boy.”

           Grandma Riggs laughed, “Goodnight, Mary Ellen.” A twittering of laughter came from the girl's room.

           “Huh?” Heather questioned.

           “Oh, good grief. We're not the Walton's,” her mom said, rolling her eyes.

           “You might as well be. You got enough kids, and we are on a mountain.” Grandma said.

           “Isn't that the truth,” Mom Branson said under her breath. 

           Out early the next morning, the kids built two snowmen, one for each of the cabins. The girls made snow angels, and before long, they were all having a snowball fight. Loud laughter enticed the oldest folks to watch from the windows as their kids joined in the fun. Grandma Branson and Grandma Riggs had hot chocolate and hot mint tea waiting for the snow frolickers. Dad Branson, also known as “The Cookie Man,” surprised them with a fresh batch of sugar cookies for them to decorate.

           “This is so great! I don't know that I have ever enjoyed myself so much,” Grant said.

           “I'll echo that!” Kohl said with a grin.

           All agreed, and they talked about planning another year-end celebration, or maybe family reunions. The grandparents were thrilled with either idea, as long as they could all be together again soon.

           Jon, Kohl, and Grant made hamburgers and hotdogs with all the fixings for dinner. Uncle Chris and Grandpa Branson went to cabin one and made homemade French fries. Chris brought back his movie pick, “White Christmas,” which they enjoyed with the now decorated Christmas cookies.

           New Year's Eve remained quiet as a melancholy hush fell throughout the cabins. Individuals packed, leaving out only what they would need for the day and tomorrow's travel. Auntie Amanda and Uncle James planned to leave that afternoon for a few days alone in Lake Tahoe as midnight marked their 20th wedding anniversary.

           After lunch, Grandpa Riggs asked everyone to come to the living room. “I wanted to thank you all for coming. It's been a thrill for all of us. And before any of us go our separate ways. I believe two gentlemen have something to say.”

           Kohl took Patty's hand and led her to the center of the room. He looked around the room and said, “I've had a wonderful time. I don't know about you all, but I needed a break like this. It's been so refreshing, and you all are a lot of fun. Thank you for letting me crash the family party,” he said, then gazed into Patty's eyes. “Patty, I have spoken to your father, and he has given me permission to give you a promise ring. I promise if you'll have me, that I will make every effort to move here and in God's time, ask you to marry me.” He held out the ring as she held out her hand, tears rolling down her face.

           “It's perfect, and you're perfect for me. I promise, too.”

           Congratulations were given by all, as they showed the family the ring, and then Grant took Lily's hand and walked to the center of the room and knelt before her.

           “Lily, I've spoken with your father, who has given me permission. Will you be my wife?” he asked, holding out a ring.

           The room fell silent as they awaited her answer.

           “Yes! Yes! Yes!” she said, each word louder than the one before.

           The room reverberated with clapping and cheers.

           After Uncle James and Auntie Amanda's farewell, Karen and Patty cooked chili and Fritos for dinner, and they concluded the evening with “Holiday Inn,” Grandma Branson's favorite Christmas classic. After celebrating New Year's Eve with Martinelli's Apple Cider, they toddled off to bed.

           Grandpa and Grandma Riggs tearfully, yet thankfully, watched as each one left the next day.

           “The best ten-day vacation ever,” Grandma said.

           Hugging his wife, Grandpa answered, “Indeed, my dear, indeed.”      

January 01, 2021 21:02

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Bonnie Clarkson
22:21 Jan 07, 2021

I gave a like for lack of swearing and family content, I like the description male eye sweat. Dialogue wasn't bad. Good for family memoirs. What it lacked was conflict. Not fighting bad weather. No arguing. No personal problems. Keep writing.

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.