A Perfect Day

Submitted into Contest #94 in response to: Start your story with someone accepting a dare.... view prompt

2 comments

Teens & Young Adult Coming of Age Fiction

A Perfect Day


“Put the blind fold on her” instructed Jake. “Spin her around three times. Okay, now she’s ready!” The two girls, Missy and Jenna, guided me into the cold spring and pulled me from behind a slippery, wet raft. The icy water and the sun piercing, I held on for dear life. I had no idea what was in store for me, but I knew if I was to be accepted into this group, I must perform the dare. I felt my foot hit a rock and the pain began to pulsate. I clenched my teeth. I was led to a shore and the blindfold was removed. I heard a voice from above shoot down, “Yes, she has arrived!” I looked up about 7 feet and I saw this incredible climbing tree. Jenna caught a glimpse of my foot and exclaimed, “Oh my god, Laura! Your foot is bleeding!” 

“It’s okay, it’s just a nick.” I lied. It hurt badly.

“Aww gross!” Missy adding her concern. 

Followed by the voice from above, “Do you chicken out or are you gonna follow through?” 


I could now see the face with the voice. Peering from the branches was Jake. Of course, it was Jake. Ever since my move to Longwood, we had become fierce competitors from track to gaming. I retorted, “I am following though.”

“That’s my girl!”

“Go, Laura, go” chanted the two girls.


I climbed up the tree with confidence and took the rope from Jake’s hand. I swung and then let out a blood curling scream and plunged into the dark abyss. I popped up immediately and heard Jake’s belly laugh and the other girls laughing hysterically. I swam back to the bank. I had taken on the dare and was ready to take another plunge.


Another summer day and the day was seemingly amazing! A beautiful blue sky with a few fluffy white clouds drifting here and there. Laura spread the blanket on the grassy bank underneath a magnificent oak tree reminiscing about her first introduction to this sacred swimming hole. This was their meeting place since the 5th grade where she and a group of her best friends would meet each other to enjoy the hot months of summer break.


Each friend brought a snack to share and their own beverage. Laura made chocolate chip cookies the night before, a favorite crowd pleaser. She made herself a PB&J and cut up a few apples to share with her group. She unzipped her backpack and took out her speaker and set up her phone so that they could listen to their favorite play lists.


Missy and Nate held hands and giggled as they exchanged some comments about the last evenings date, where Nate tripped as he exited a movie theatre and made about ten other people laugh hysterically. Nate was a newcomer to the group but liked by everyone for his goofiness and ability to make everyone laugh. 


Jake, Michaela, and Jenna followed behind looking a little tired from playing video games until 3am. Jake threw his backpack on the blanket and scooped Laura up into his arms and started running towards the spring.


“Time to cool off” he snickered.

“Put me down, Jake!”

Jake’s laughter grew louder and just like that he threw Laura in the water as if she were a helpless child.

Laura let out a scream and soon a splash followed! 

“Cannonball!” Jake landing perfectly beside Laura as she gasped for air and was met with more cold water.

“Ugh!”

“God, Jake- what the hell!”

Jake followed Laura swimming to shore. Uncontrollable laughter echoed from everyone, but Laura.


“Come on, Laura.”

“Stop being grouchy!”


Laura sighed, and grabbed Jake’s towel from his backpack and dried herself off. Jake went to Laura’s backpack and grabbed her towel. He smelled it, closing his eyes, and bellowed “Mm, Downey Fresh.”


Everyone laughed again, except Laura.


She just rolled her eyes and stated, “Pain in my butt.”


Everyone chuckled and this time so did Laura. 


The group was now digging out their lunches and passing around their snacks munching away. 


Laura put on some favorite tunes, and as the conversation carried on about summer plans and how great it felt about being off for summer.


Michaela and Jenna had almost finished their conversation about their plans on going to Daytona for a cheerleading camp when Jake interrupted, with, “Hey you guys, you what know has to be done, right?”


“Hmmm, I know what your thinking, and I think we should move away from that, Jake, seeing that we are all officially Seniors now,” Missy cheerfully suggested.


Nate asked curiously, “What are your talking about, Jake?”


Jake’s grin changed into a somber expression. “See that tree over there?”


“Which one exactly, there’s like hundreds of them!” Everyone laughed, but Jake was not amused.


Jake pointed straight ahead, “That one, with the rope swing!” He stated dramatically.


“Yeah, what about it?”


“Seeing that you are the newbie and all, I dare you to climb that tree and jump off from it?”


“No, problem! Thought you’d never, ask!” Nate stood and beat his chest like an ape and states all Tarzan like, “Me, got this!”


Missy put her hands in her face and giggled. 

She looked at Nate and smiled, “You really do not have to do this!”

“What? I laugh at the face of danger, bah, ha, ha, ha!”

The group cheered him on. Nate made an exaggerated scared face. The group roared with laughter.


The blind fold was no longer part of the hazing since the broken toe incident. Parents were not pleased and forbade everyone from going to the water hole for a whole month. A dare that had gone bad and so the blind fold was ditched.


Nate dove into the water and Jake followed behind. Both guys swimming and now racing one another to see who could get to the tree first.


Soon Michaela and Jenna were also swimming behind them and anxiously awaiting their turn as Jake led Nate up the tree.


Jake and Nate carefully maneuvered themselves up to the very top.

Nate’s heart was pounding, and he started to look a little hesitant. Looking downward from the tree, the water looked more intimidating when hovering over it. Nate took a deep breath and let out a regretful sigh.


“You got this, bruh?”

“Yeah, yeah, absolutely!”

Nate grabbed the rope and winked to Missy who was now standing closer to the spring and looking a little concerned. Jake and Nate have become the masters of suspense.


 Laura was across the bank busily snapping pictures.


Nate, then swung from the rope and let out a funny noise, “weeee” and back to the tree. Then quickly, swung out again and did a somersault into the water.


Everyone cheered!


“Did you get that Laura?” Missy asked.

“Of course! I got it all on video!


Nate stoically swam to shore and gave Missy a drenching hug. “That was so awesome, Nate!” Nate planted a big kiss on the side of her check, which lead to a bigger kiss.


“He’s a keeper!” shouted Jake.


Michaela took Jake’s hand, and he handed her the rope. She followed Nate’s debut and somersaulted off the rope swing. Jenna did the same.


“Impressive” he thought and now gleaming from ear to ear. Nate was officially part of the group.


Laura now sauntered over to the spring and dove in. Everyone seemed to notice Jake’s entranced stare at Laura. Something had changed and their friendship was shifting to something else.


Nate even noticed and smiled over to Missy. She met Nate’s smile with raised eyebrows. 


All eyes were now on Laura and Jake.


Laura climbed effortlessly to the top and Jake took her hand giving her the unneeded assistance which Laura normally dismissed, but this time took it. Jake noticed and smiled and gazed into her bright and determined eyes.


“Alrighty, girl. Take it away!”


Laura took the rope from Jake’s hand and smiled back at him. She threw herself hard into the air and did a double somersault gracefully landing into the depths of the cool water. Jake waited until she was out of harm’s way and swung from the rope and plunged into the water and quickly swam towards Laura. Jake met her eyes again and they both smiled and started back to shore racing one another. 


“Tie!” shouted Missy.


They both pulled themselves out of the water and staggered back to the blanket, laughing and out of breath. These were the best laughs, Laura thought! Jake grabbed another towel from his bag and draped it around Laura. Patting her dry to make sure she was

encompassed by the warm towel. The sun felt amazing, and Laura felt exhilarated.


“This is the best day, ever!” Laura declared.

“You always say that” Jenna stated.

“I concur!” Nate exclaimed and everyone laughed.


“So, since I followed through on the dare, why don’t we play a game of Truth and Dare?” Nate suggested. Missy eyed him and wondered what her boyfriend was up to.


Jake said unexpectly, “Naw, bruh! We’re Seniors.”

The group laughed and Missy giggled and added, “yeah, nice try, Nate!”


Plans were made to meet up next week again, and everyone grabbed their things to head back home.


Jake stayed behind to help Laura fold up the blanket and stuffed it into her backpack. He looked again into the depths of baby blues and she responded by a coy, “what?”

“I dare you, Laura.”

“Dare me?”

“Yup” Jake still starring into her eyes.

“Dare me to?”

Jake tilted his head and pointed to his cheek.

“Okay” replied Laura. She kissed Jake.


Jake’s eyes light up and took the backpack from Laura’s hands which she immediately took back. “I got this” she replied warmly and offered her hand to Jake instead.


Jake took her hand and they walked slowly to join the others.


Laura thought that today had been amazing. The blue-sky stretched out endlessly and no clouds drifted by. A warm breeze blew the wisps of Laura’s blonde hair and Jake pulled her closer towards him. They both stopped for a second, and he kissed her on her lips and then they both moved forward walking together. Hand in hand. It was a perfect day!










May 17, 2021 19:32

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Heidi Karns
14:31 May 24, 2021

I enjoyed this story about young love! Thanks for sharing.

Reply

Crystal Pell
12:28 May 25, 2021

Thank you for reading and for your feedback.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.