0 comments

Drama Romance

Lacking Nothing

By Karen J. Keim

Then he whispered, “Do you want to know a secret?”

She opened her eyes and nodded.

“I think I’m in love with you.” Her heart raced and she put her head on his shoulder. Her lips touched his ear.

“I think I have the same secret.”

She'd met him at the hotel where she was staying with several other friends as they celebrated her best friend's wedding rehearsal dinner in Scottsdale, Arizona. Cara had planned a Celebration Party in the bar lounge on Friday night, with a dance band. The whole wedding party and friends were invited. There would be champagne and tequila shots, loud country music and the room was all theirs which made up about 50 people.

The Scottsdale Phoenician Resort Hotel was one of the most highly revered resort/golf course/spa destinations for snowbirds and international travelers who demanded the best in service, ambiance, room comfort and environmental beauty. With indoor and outdoor pools, full 18-hole golf course, two fine-dining rooms, two cafes and three coffee bistros, a Native American Two Feathers Casino and Entertainment Center, from the moment you entered through polished glass doors, the monolithic golden Phoenix in the center of the grand foyer, plush palm trees in giant terra cotta pots and the stylish decor in a southwestern style, the five star classy and comfortable interior and staff make one feel excellently taken care of for whatever whim they desired.

Cara had planned the trip, sent the invites, and personally greeted each and every guest personally at the registration desk. Rooms were assigned and each single or couple received an agenda for the weekend in June right before the wedding on Sunday in Palm Springs. Loraine and Andy, the bride and groom were the most joyful and enthusiastic couple Cara, a single elementary school teacher hoped to emulate when she met her very own groom-to-be.

The weather was a beautiful 78 degrees with a slight breeze. The plan was to meet on Friday, have a group dinner that night, meet for a team-golf tournament at 8:00 am, have snacks at the pools, casino play until a 9:00 formal rehearsal dinner and dancing night, dress party fun style. Next day was check out and an hour drive to Palm Springs in California for the ceremony, followed by a reception. After that, guests could stay or drive home where most of the guests lived on their own.

Dressing in her hotel room, Cara donned a black off-the-shoulder dress made of latex and sequins with a silver sequined wrap. Her blonde hair was piled on her head, her jewelry was borrowed sapphires at her ears, neck and wrists. Her heels were black, and she looked stunning with her wide brown eyes, tanned face, big smile, light makeup and lovely figure as a forty-year-old woman.

Just before she was leaving to greet each and every guest at the table set up for just outside their room and hand them their wristband, her cell phone rang. It was David. This was her boyfriend, off and on, of five years. He'd been married once and had a daughter who had been in her second grade class last year. They had dated and spent many weekends together. He worked for an advertising agency in Phoenix and they had a "comfortable relationship."

"Hello?"

"Hi babe." Just getting home and wanted to check on you, how's it going?"

"So far so good but it all starts in about 15 minutes. I'm hoping it all works out smoothly and everyone has fun and shows up for Lorraine."

"I'll bet it will with you in charge, and I know you look beautiful!"

"Of course!" She laughed.

"You must." She was silent.

"D, I have to go, but thanks for calling."

"Heh C? Can I ask you a question?"

"Of course."

"So you see us doing this someday? Having a ceremony to celebrate our wedding?" She was silent. He'd never asked about this in their whole time together.

"Wow . . . that’s quite a question!"

"Well, maybe?" She laughed nervously.

"Maybe, yes."

"You mean, maybe . . . YES?"

This charming, attractive, fit, smart and successful man was a wonderful choice for a future husband for anyone with sense and the desire to marry and raise a family. But, somehow, every time she left him, she felt not the “filling up” of her heart, but the "something missing" of their pairing.

She took a deep breath and said what he wanted to hear . . . partly because he was so wonderful; partly because she didn't want to belabor the subject further.

"Yes!" She grinned widely.

He laughed now with wild abandon.

"God, C, you made my night, that was my secret desire . . . to marry you and want you to marry me!"

She was confused for a sec, then realized her last word had been a resounding YES. She'd meant it to reiterate her MAYBE. She quickly backpedaled and said,

"D, I have to go downstairs and greet everyone. Can we talk about this tomorrow?"

"Yes, Mrs. Thoreau!"

She hung up immediately, and she swallowed from a water bottle in the fridge, feeling sick to her stomach at her lie and his misunderstanding. With no time to analyze it further, she hurried out the door to the elevator banks.

Exactly 49 guests filed up to Cara to sign in, put on a bracelet and enter the Grande Lounge, all in impressive outfits ranging from Country Simple to New York and Beverly Hills Glam. She must have hugged and kissed 100 cheeks, and remembered several of the faces that happily took their wrist bands from her to keep security organized. Music was pouring out the entrance from the country rock band referred to her from her sister Kris who had contacts in the entertainment business as a cover band handler in the genre and for rock bands in southern California.

Champagne and tequila shots were offered. A large dance floor awaited all, and they toasted to the happy couple, sitting at the center table with friends of theirs and Cara. There was one chair empty, and Andy told Cara that his best friend was habitually late, due to him insisting on flying his own Cessna aircraft wherever he went, if possible.

An hour went by, and then the next time Cara looked up, she saw the chair filled.

He was absolutely beautiful

He wore an open polo shirt of a muted turquoise-blue, matching his sparkling eyes. His blond hair was fairy long, and fell slightly to the side on his forehead. He had a strong chin,  his face was tan, and his beaming smile revealed two neat rows of white. His jeans fit him tightly, accentuating a well-built physique. But the most memorable and outstanding part of him physically was his missing left arm. He held himself confidently, but there was the empty sleeve of his polo shirt for all to see. Andy and Cara came around to him and showered him with kisses and hugs. He accepted a tequila shot and toasted to them. The entire table joined in. Cara stared at him without being able to look away. He eyed her too, but was talking with Andy non-stop as if they hadn't gotten together for a long time.

Andy introduced Michael to the table, and told the story about the two of them serving in Afghanistan ten years ago tomorrow having served two tours in the Army. They were in the same troop and became quick friends then and there.

Lorraine pulled Cara aside and just said these five words.

"The moment I met him, you!"

"What?" Lorraine's whole face lit up.

"When I met Michael, I thought, Cara would love him!"

She was whisked away by her fiance to dance and Cara stood holding her drink and turned to see the entire table empty, up dancing except for Michael. He was watching the dancers calmly. She took steps to reach his chair and sat beside him.

"Hi Michael. I'm Cara."

"I know. Lorraine told me she wanted me to meet you.'

"Ah . . . well, here I am!"

She poured a glass of champagne for them both. She held hers up to toast. He followed her moves.

"To Lorraine and Andy's happiness!"

"To their happiness!" He watched her drink from her glass of Bollinger, and then sipped his."

They sat silently, watching their friends dancing, laughing, twirling on the dance floor with abandon.

"She seems to truly love him. I'm so hopeful for them. He's had a hard time of it."

Cara answered carefully and slowly.

"Do you mean because of the tours,” referring to their years in the mideast conflict.

He studied her face for a bit.

"It's the not knowing what's next that's the hardest to handle."

"Oh." She studied him studying her.

"Lorraine tells me you're a teacher."

"Yes, second grade."

"I have a nephew in second grade. He loves his teacher."

“So, I hear you’re a pilot?” 

“Yes I am.”

“Do you have your own plane?”

“I have an old Cessna 110, but usually use the Denali.” 

Cara knew nothing about small aircraft models and names, so just nodded and smiled. 

The rest of the evening rushed by too quickly for Cara. There was dancing, drinking, music non-stop. Lorraine and And returned to the table often. Cara made two trips among the guests to do her job and make sure all was well. But she found it impossible to leave Michael’s side. They danced a couple of times, and it was easy and unawkward. He was so interesting, and had a great sense of humor. He asked her questions about her life and activities outside of her job. Mostly they sat at the bar, face-to-face, bare halting their conversation, only to scan their surroundings now and then. 

Lorraine came up behind him and flashed her an a-ok sign with her fingers. Andy came up behind Cara and high-fived Michael. 

“Hey, tee time at 8:00, you're on my team.” Michael nodded.

“Absolutely, my clubs should be in my room by now. Look forward, bro. 

The party lasted until midnight, but Michael didn’t falter in staying up that late, having flown in from northern California that day, where he currently lived. He explained to her about the loss of his arm in combat. He was shot multiple times by an AK-45 during a skirmish, necessitating its amputation. After months of physical therapy and healing, he found he was better for it all. He came out positive and counseled several other traumatized soldiers at different Veteran Centers in the country. His plane can seat four and with a copilot, he could take five vets no matter their physical disabilities on a freeing flight over mountains, deserts oceans.

She shared her favorite students talents, how she loved teaching, and had only flown once in a small airplane.

Andy started quieting the room standing on his chair, and announced their tee time in the morning for those golfing, and thanked everyone for coming. Cara told Michael he didn’t have to stay with her until the end.

“I’ll wait.” He quietly said, nodding his head. 

She checked with the manager of the lounge, speaking briefly, and glancing around, no one had left anything behind, so her job was done. She sat on the stool next to Michael and massaged her right foot, then her left, taking off her heels.

“Need a foot rub?” he offered, holding out his right hand. “I’m not bad with only one!” She chucked, looking at his hand, and looking up at him.

“What a kind offer, but my foot is not what I want for our first . . . uh, contact. I mean I don’t even know your last name!” She laughed softly.

At that, he stood, and came close to her as when they were dancing. He put his hand under her chin, and raised his eyebrows. 

“May I?” She was smitten, and answered by closing her eyes and tilting her face up to his.

He kissed her, softly, longingly, even lovingly.

His arm closed in around her, and she surrounded this beautiful man who lacked nothing in her opinion with both of her soft arms.

David was just falling asleep with a smile on his face, in ignorance, with bliss.

The End

November 18, 2020 17:06

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.