U LE NA HIDV USDI (LOST BABY)

Submitted into Contest #86 in response to: Write a fairy tale about someone who can communicate with woodland creatures.... view prompt

2 comments

Fantasy Friendship Indigenous

Once upon a time in a far away land, of daffodils and dragonflies, lived a Cherokee girl, she had fallen off the wagon, when her family was being moved, and no one had noticed, the little bundle fall out, and roll down the hill ,since they were traveling at night.

She landed at the foot of momma yona's cave. Momma yona heard the whimpering, and cautiously went out to see what it was. She saw the human cub wrapped up, and looked around for the others, but didn't see anyone. She didn't know what to do, but knew she couldn't leave her out there like that, alone. So she took her in with her own cubs and began feeding her. The baby was very hungry and accepted momma yona, that was a relief. Momma yona was very thankful, and was very caring to the child.

As months passed Aleshanee (one who plays) Takoda (friends to everyone),grew and played alongside her usdi brothers and sisters. Momma yona (bear) was even teaching her to stand up on her legs, and walk.

Aleshanee was such a wonderful little human cub, so happy, and sweet, learning to fish and follow what the yonas did.. She was soon able to venture out into the woods and meet the other creatures. They didn't know what to think of her at first, but realized she was just like them on the inside, not like the other humans that tried to hunt them.

Everyday she would go to the brook to wash herself and talk to the occasional frog or turtle, that happened to be there sunning it's self. She loved to smell the daffodils that grew along the bank, and watch the dragonflies, fly around, trying to not to be that days lunch, from the frogs.

She could sing like the tissquas (birds) and howl like the waya (wolf), she had many friends, but something was missing, not quite sure what, yet.

She also liked to go, walking in the lavender fields, they were so beautiful, and smelled so good, and always made her feel better when she was sad.

Then one day Aleshanee asked momma yona, why she didn't have fur like them or ears like lulu(rabbit) or wings like chatan (hawk), and momma yona, told her the story of how she was found. She really couldn't believe it, but thought that would explain the longing ache, she felt, in her heart, when her brothers and sisters were playing rough and tumbling around. And why her body was starting to change, to the point she was starting to get embarrassed, and wished she had fur, like all her other friends, to cover it up with.

She decided to go ask Kai (willow tree) for the wisdom to make the body coverings, and started weaving kai's branches, and leaves to make a dress. As she was weaving, the tissquas brought her the vines and leaves she needed, in their beaks, and they brought her other flowers for decoration, she strewn across the top. Finally she put it on, and all the animals cheered her. Brother dyani (deer) offered to take her for a ride, prancing around showing off her new body coverings. The kvtli (racoon), waya, doyes(beavers)dakota( fox) and other animals followed in line to make her a parade. This was the best day of her life, she thought, I was silly for ever wanting to leave.

The day had come when she felt she had out grown momma yona's cave and had asked the doyas to help her build a human home. A cottage for her to stay in. They were so excited to help her they started right away. Chewing down trees, carrying them to where she wanted them, the yonas stacked them up and the doyas put mud in the cracks to seal it up. She was so excited, she could hardly wait for it to be finished, her very own home. They built her tables and chairs, and a bed. She got some soft grasses and weaved them together, for her mattress. When they finished, she went in and laid down on her bed, and looked up at the roof, they had left a spot for her to see the stars at night before she went to sleep, she was very pleased. The cottage was in the middle of her lavender field, she was so happy, and the other animals came to visit her often, running in and out of the windows, and scurrying about.

One night when she was watching the stars, and trying to get to sleep, she had a vision. She saw an elderly lady, wrapped in a shawl, walking through the woods, she was carrying something and calling out, she was crying, and looked very distraught. She couldn't quite hear her, but she felt some kind of connection. Then she had another vision, of a blanket or something, falling out of a wagon.. She jumped up out of her sleep, confused, could that be my mother? was that me falling out of the wagon, like momma yona said? Is that when she found me, and took me in? Oh, I must go talk to Kai, she will have the answers. She crept through the field to the woods, by the brook, and knocked softly on kai's bark.

She shuttered.. what, what's happening? Why are you here child?

I'm sorry to awaken you kai, but I had visions, and thought you could help me. You're so wise, and have always had the answers to my problems.

What's your vision child? she asked sleepily.

Well, kai, I saw a lady wrapped in a shawl, walking a long way, she looked very tired, and was crying, she was calling out to someone, but I couldn't understand what she was saying. The other on was something falling out of a wagon, and then I woke up, because I didn't want to fall, it felt so real.

Could that have been my mother? Is she looking for me?

That was so long ago, how would we ever know how to find her?

Slow down child, take a deep breathe, waya can smell the scent of the wagons, it's been a good while, but nothing has came through here since that night, they can track it, and chatan, can fly above to see if anyone is coming.

Oh,Kai! can they really do that? that would be wonderful! I feel so much better now, thank you, I think I will rest here for the night, until waya comes.

She sat down and cradled herself between the two big roots of kai, feeling very comforted, she fell fast asleep.

The next day she was awakened, by waya nuzzling his nose on her neck, his wet nose touching her ear, she giggled and woke up.

Oh waya, thank you for waking me, kai, told me you may be able to track my mother, I think she's looking for me. Can you go by the trail where the wagons were, and by momma yonas cave to get their scent? She said I rolled down the hill, so you have to go to the top and check. Chatan can fly overhead, to see if anything is walking this way. I've been here so long, I don't even know what the other world looks like. I'm sure it's not as safe as this one, so please be careful. She hugged him, and he ran off.

Takoda, as she was now called, since she's grown up, and no longer plays, as much, made her way back to her lavender field, watching the sky for chatan, hoping he could find her mother, and guide her back to the cottage.

The sun was fading, and she fixed her dinner, and went to stretch out on her bed. The anticipation, was making her sleepy. She had another vision, this time, waya was with the woman in the shawl, and they were coming back, she wasn't crying, or afraid this time. Takoda slept peacefully awaiting their return.

The next morning, as she was at the brook, washing up, she heard the chatter of the animals, they were rushing around in a frenzy, very unusual, for them, she wondered what they could hear, that she couldn't. She went over to momma yona's cave, to see if she knew what the fuss was all about. Just as she got there, she saw waya and dyani, something was on his back, she froze. Could it be her? The moment she was waiting for, and she was scared to death. What should I do? What if she don't like me? What if she brings others to harm my family? Oh, this is not good. As they got closer, she could feel her heart racing, faster. She tried to walk, but her legs wouldn't budge. Come On! she tried to coax herself to move, but nothing happened, fear had taken over her whole body.

The woman saw her, tears rolled down her cheek, as she climbed off dyani, she looked like a younger version of herself, and couldn't believe she was finally facing her daughter, the one she longed for, all these years. The one she lost so long ago. She was a beautiful woman, and couldn't get to her fast enough. She reached out her hand, and took Takoda's in hers, she was trembling.

It's ok sweetie, her voice soft and comforting, I'm here now, I'm your agitsi (mother). I've been sending you those visions, but you are finally the age to receive them. She hugged her very tightly, Takoda just took it all in, and slowly felt the wave of fear, disappear, making her legs very weak, she had to sit down on the soft grass. Her agitsi, sat down with her, stroking her long dark hair, like momma yona did when she had a bad dream. She leaned her head on her agitsi's shoulder, and they just sat there for the longest time.

When they finally opened their eyes, they saw all the animals gathered around them in curiosity. They wanted to know who this stranger was and if she was safe. Momma yona was there too. She told them it was her human agitsi, and they all welcomed her, and she greeted every one of them like she knew them forever.

Takoda, jumped up, and took her agitsi's hand and practically ran her through the field, waya and the others, carried her bags, and followed behind. Agitsi, had never seen anything more beautiful in all her life, she was so happy to be there.

When they got to Takoda's cottage, she was amazed that her friends did this. They went inside, and put her bags on the table, she slowly started unpacking them, showing Takoda everything she had gotten for her over the years. She even brought some dresses, she had made for her. Takoda tried them on, she had never felt such soft material, she never want to take it off.

Agitsi stayed there for the rest of her days, catching up on lost time. Both of their dreams came true, and they lived happily ever after.


THE END

March 27, 2021 00:37

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Donna Wayt
01:50 Apr 05, 2021

The elderly woman walking in the woods is totally me! I feel like I'm hearing a very old shamans tale of tricksters. I love the warm folksy feeling.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Donna Wayt
23:14 Apr 02, 2021

You are honing your skills! This is brilliant. I can smell the lavender.

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.