0 comments

Romance Fantasy Fiction

It went quiet in the museum, the hundreds of people inside holding their breath, waiting for impact. Pia huddled behind her favorite statue, Reddish, his wings spread out in front of her, providing the illusion of further protection. The ground shook, windows rattled, and thunderous booms filled the air. Pia closed her eyes. Outside the safety of the magical wards, more of their town crumbled. She knew the Dunlors bombed their city out of boredom. "Not much to do tonight," she imagined they'd said. "Let's go drop some fire on those Oals, watch em' scatter like the rats they are." 

Destruction handed out so casually. Pia wanted to scream and cry, but she'd already done those things. Living through five years of abuse by those more powerful, Pia knew her anguish would change nothing. The gods weren't coming to help them. In fact, Pia couldn't think of any possible salvation. 

She hugged her legs to her chest, counting backwards from one hundred. It used to be a game. Her mother challenging her and Braeden to see who could get to one faster. Her slender arms wrapped firmly around them, rose perfume filling the air. Pia got to twenty when the museum once again fell still. 

She opened her eyes and felt the collective exhale as bodies began to unfurl from their huddled positions. 

"It's over now," she heard Mrs. Phelps, soothing her child. 

"Is everyone accounted for?" Kirk's voice this time, the aux leader in charge of second floor. People began looking around, counting, calling out names, making sure everyone assigned to this level was present.

"Pia?...Pia, where are you?" not quite a yell.

"I'm here," Pia said, coming out from behind Reddish. Solid arms embraced her. She let her brother crush her to him. 

"What are you doing up here?" he asked, hugging her tightly, "you know we're assigned level one. When I didn't see you, I..." he trailed off. Pia knew the rest of the thought. 

"I know, I'm sorry," She didn't know what else to say. 

"Why didn't you come to the watercolors?" Braedon asked more firmly.

"I don't know," Pia said, "I like coming here I guess." He studied her face, glancing behind her to where Reddish stood. His brown eyes softened.

"This was mom's favorite spot."

"Pia, Braedon, what are you two doing up here?" Kirk had spotted them. 

"Sorry, Kirk," Braedon said, "Pia got confused. Ya know, new floor assignments and all that. We're heading down to level one right now." Pia nodded lamely. Kirk grunted his annoyance and waved them off. 

Hand in hand they began to make their way through the crowded museum. Some embraced, some cried, but most went about business as usual. The bombings being a routine part of life. 

"Luck should still be by the watercolors," Braedon said leading them down the stairs. 

"Aw, come on Brae. I don't need a babysitter, " Pia hated feeling handed off. Hated even more that he liked to dump her with his best friend, a man she wished would see her as a woman and not Braeden's little sister.

"It's not babysitting," he sighed, "It's company. I don't like leaving you after the bombs."

"There are people all over this place, I'm never alone," she said. "Besides, you could let me go with you." They argued this way every time. 

"You know I can't do that. Plus, you really wouldn't be much help," he replied, looking pointedly at her small frame. 

Braedon led her along the wall, avoiding the many people packed into the museum's first floor. Most citizens of Oal lived in the museum or in the shacks and tents that surrounded it. Proximity to safety being the number one priority. The rest of the city abandoned and decaying. 

"Ah, there he is," Braedon said, spotting Luck next to a beautiful watercolor landscape. He stood with his back to them, his long brown hair pulled into a knot at the nape of his neck. Pia sighed. She liked hanging out with Luck. In fact, it was often the highlight of her day. But she hated feeling like a job. Luck no doubt, had other things he wished to do. 

Braedon clapped him on the shoulder. "I found her," he said. Luck turned to them and his gaze met Pia's. He let out a breath. 

"I'm so glad to see you Pia," he said, pulling her into a one armed hug. She embraced him back, breathing in his familiar pine scent. 

"Yeah, sorry, I was up by Reddish. Old habits die hard," Pia pulled away. Braedon was already scanning the room, no doubt looking for his aux leader. His eyes lit up when he found him. 

"I see Danny over there," he said, "I'll be back as soon as we're finished." Pia nodded and gave him another hug before he set off, snaking his way through the crowd. 

Pia turned to Luck, "sorry you're on babysitting duty."

"I don't mind," he replied, eyes crinkling, "plus, it's not like I can go help them." He gestured after Braedon with his right arm. Or rather what was left of it. Pia nodded. She knew Luck hated not being able to join the aux, but a year ago he'd gotten stuck outside, the lower part of his right arm trapped under fallen rubble. It was a miracle he survived at all. They called him Luck ever since. 

"Come on," he said grabbing her hand, "let's go get some fresh air."

They made their way towards the back of the museum. Luck's hand felt warm and solid in hers. She tried not to think about how good it felt. 

Once outside, they breathed in the night air. Other groups gathered in the grass near the museum, taking in the latest wreckage. 

"Fiona's old place finally got hit," Luck said, looking down the hill, across the trees towards the rest of Oal. Pia followed his gaze, noting the plumes of smoke. Their once beautiful town now a combination of rubble and abandoned buildings. She could hear shouts in the distance and wondered if Braedon was already helping to clear the wreckage.  

Luck squeezed her hand, which he still held. She turned to him, feeling the familiar sting in her eyes. 

"It's not fair," she whispered. "None of it is fair." 

"I know," he said. If anyone understood how unfair all of it was, it was Luck. 

"I just don't get it. Why don't they just put us out of our misery. Bombing us for sport. Letting those of us who make it inside survive. You know they could obliterate us all if they wanted to," Pia dropped his hand to wipe her tears. 

"I know," he said again. "It's a sick game to them."

"And the worst part is, there is nothing we can do about it. We can't fight back. We can't stop them. We just eek out a life, until it's finally our turn to die." 

Luck didn't say anything. They stood in silence. Through the darkness they could see families huddling together, or what was left of them. Pairs began to make their way down the hill, towards the tree line. It was common after the bombings for couples to find privacy. Sex was one way to release the stress.

"Do you want to go back inside?" Luck asked.

"Not yet," Pia replied, watching the couples. "Have you ever gone down to the forest after the bombs?" She didn't know what compelled her to ask him that. It was a rather forward question after all. But she often wondered what it was like. To have a lover. To find reprieve from loss. She mostly wondered what it would be like to enter the lover's forest with Luck. To feel his body on hers.

Luck cleared his throat. "No, I haven't," he said simply. "Have you?" 

She turned to look at him and caught his green eyes staring at her.

"I haven't either," she said quietly. He took a step towards her, his gaze still locked on hers. 

"What made you ask me that?" 

She felt her heart thudding in her chest. The way he was looking at her. Had he always looked at her like that?

"I, I don't' know, just curious I guess," Pia looked back into the darkness. There was a tension between them. A tension Pia had always felt. For years she'd watched him. Loving his green eyes and easy smile. Now she felt that tension like a taut line between them.

Did he feel it too?

"Pia," he said, stepping close enough to brush his arm with hers. She looked back up at him. It would be so easy to reach up, wrap her arms around his neck. She didn't want to die not knowing what his lips felt like on hers. 

He lifted his hand slowly and grazed the side of her cheek. "Pia," he said again, softer. She closed her eyes. Savoring his touch. Was this really happening?

She opened her eyes to find him still looking at her. His eyes moving to her lips. She stepped closer, brushing her chest with his. 

"I don't want to live what's left of my life afraid," she said quietly, wrapping her arms around his neck. They were so close, closer than they'd ever been. She felt him tremble slightly as she pulled his mouth to hers. Their lips met softly at first. Cautious. Then she felt his hand move to her lower back. He was pulling her to him. She crushed her body to his, feeling electric. Feeling alive. 

Their lips parted, breathing heavy. 

"That was..." he kissed her again, sweetly.

"I've wanted to do that for a long time." They smiled at each other. He wrapped his hand in hers and together they made their way down to the forest, plumes of smoke still rising to the sky. 

March 22, 2024 20:20

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.