Stella was the thing dreams were made of.

Written in response to: Write a story in which each paragraph begins or ends (or both!) with the same sentence. ... view prompt

0 comments

Contemporary

Stella's birthday was coming in three months. Since she had put a little weight she didn't know what to wear. She decided to get her friends to help her find a dress. There was a pink one she had spotted at the mall, on her last visit. However, she could not afford it. Stella dreamed up a plan. Stella was the thing dreams were made of.

Stella decided that she would take on a project that had to do with creative writing. Maybe it would help her make enough money to buy the dress! She decided to visit Upwork and look for creative writing opportunities. She noticed that there were quite a few of them. She decided to shortlist the ones that seemed easy enough for someone who had no experience in writing. She found a bunch of them. Still, Stella thought she could work on her skills. She decided to wait. Stella was the thing dreams were made of. 

Stella decided to look for a creative writing course on Udemy. She saw that there were plenty of them. She was confused. She didn't know which one to choose. She decided to read up a little about it on google. When she googled 'creative writing' she found many options. She found that creative writing took many forms and that content writing seemed easy enough. Stella was the thing dreams were made of. 

Stella then decided to look for content writing courses on Udemy. There were indeed many! Stella chose a two-week-long course that seemingly covered everything and wasn't too expensive! She felt she already was a good writer, and that she just needed to learn new things like SEO (search engine optimization) to qualify to get paid to write. She got out her credit card and decided to pay for the course. Stella was the thing dreams were made of.

Stella was already working 9-5 as a receptionist. But she could hardly save anything every month. Even though Stella was a careful spender, most of her salary was consumed in paying bills, and she hardly made enough to buy the dream dress that she had eyed in a corner store at the mall. Still, Stella was determined. She knew her stint in writing would get her some money. Probably enough to pay for the dream dress. Stella was the thing dreams were made of!

Stella decided to work on her writing skills every day for two weeks. She had an exercise, which was part of the course, in which she had to do some writing as part of her morning routine. She was also added to a Facebook and WhatsApp community of writers, where a tutor would correct all the work submitted by its members. Stella did this with genuine interest, she indeed put her heart and soul into her writing. Stella was the thing dreams were made of!

Stella found that her writing was already good, and this time she wasn't the only one who thought so. Her course instructor and fellow group members also had nice things to say about the writing she submitted. Stella was getting rosy compliments from everyone! The journey of learning to write seemed to be a joy ride, because she was a naturally gifted writer! Stella was the thing dreams were made of!

Stella also decided that during the length of the course, she would watch her eating habits. She also decided that she would try and exercise a little, which seemed smart, instead of trying to pay for the gym which was a little expensive. Stella was the thing dreams were made of!

So Stella worked on her writing intentionally during each day of the two-week period. She made sure that she used keywords throughout the article as the instructor had told her to. She was required to use the primary keyword a little more often than the secondary ones. There was also the need to divide the length of text into subheadings, and if needed bullet points. She was also told to use pictures, so long as she credited the source. She also had to stick to the word limit which is what she found easy to do! Stella was the thing dreams were made of!

Soon the course came to an end, and Stella decided she was ready to look for freelancing jobs online that had to do with writing. She went through dozens of websites like Freelancer.com, Upwork, and MonsterJobs. Finally, she found the perfect opportunity on Freelancer. There was a company that was looking for content writers that were willing to work remotely. Stella decided to review her profile page on Freelancer because she knew that if she sent this company a message showing her interest in the job, they would definitely check her profile. Stella was the thing dreams were made of!

Stella decided to check that her profile on Freelancer was up to date before she clicked the apply button. She checked that she had uploaded a smart-looking photo, where she was wearing makeup and had done her up her hair. Stella wondered if looking attractive would help her have a higher chance of getting the job, as compared to the other applicants. Stella was the thing dreams were made of!

Stella finally decuded to click the apply button, after she had gone through every detail of her profile page on the Freelancer website. She made sure that no information was missing, and that every detail was accurate fact and date wise. Stella was the thing dreams were made of!

Finally stella clicked the apply button, and hoped the potential company would grant her the job. Stella noticed that most of the applicant were freshers, so she stood high chances of getting the job! Stella was the thing dreams were made of!

Stella looked in her inbox the next day, and was surprised at what she saw. She was truly surprised! She had been offered the job!Stella was the thing dreams were made of!

Stella worked hard on the two month long project in which she had a write a 1000 word article every day. She worked hard at her receptionist job by day, and wrote the articles during her freetime! Stella made sure that she got enough sleep and ate mindfully at the same time! Stella was the thing dreams were made of!

Stella completed the project in due time. She got paid exactly 2000 dollars. Stella also noticed that she had lost the extra weight, and was in her best shape ever. She had enough money to buy three dresses that costed as much as her dream dressed she had eyed in the corner store at the mall. Stella was the thing dreams were made of!

Stella continues to make extra money writing on the side, while she is a full time receptionist at the same time! Stella is the thing dreams are made of!

February 21, 2023 05:44

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.