A Day on the Grandstand

Submitted into Contest #256 in response to: Set your story in the stands at a major sporting event.... view prompt

5 comments

Historical Fiction Happy Adventure

REEDSY PROMPT ~ “Set your story in the stands at a major sporting event…….!”

TITLE: ~ A Day on the Grandstand    

By: ~ Jane Anne Hyslop Kennedy Ireland      

Initially confused, I turned slightly, hearing a brass band in the background while finding myself at the ground level of a 100m long outdoor grandstand (or bleachers, depending on what you call them where you live). This grandstand runs parallel to a hundred meter water course about five meters away. There is also a metal fence between the bleacher and the water course.  I look around at my surroundings which seem vaguely familiar but from a very different time period in the past. I focus on trying to blend in as much as possible while finding my seat; smiling, listening, & nodding “Hello” to those I pass by. This event looks, sounds, even smells like a really big deal. I’m still not exactly sure yet; how I have ended up here. Last I remember, I was feeling exhausted from the day’s stressful events and disappointed in myself that AGAIN, I was not making it to another summer Olympics while I was rolling into my comfortable bed in my air-conditioned, peaceful sanctuary of a bedroom.

As I listen and chat to those around me, I continue to assess my attire and surroundings. The buzz is intoxicating and contagious. My excitement heightens as I start putting tidbits together. I realize that this is the 1912 Stockholm, Sweden Olympics - 274 competitors – 264 men and only 10 women. There were 79 events in 16 sports. This is the first-time that women’s events would be part of the Olympic swimming program. There are 18 swimmers including 6 women competing from Great Britain. This is only the third time for Great Britain to compete in swimming.  I’m thrilled to discover that I have a really great view from my seat located above the fifty-meter line. I am sure grateful for this quilted cushion on this hard seat. It is pretty comfy. I believe with these full bleachers, we will all be here awhile, taking in the day’s events. There is a pale blue and green pattern on my light cotton dress.  My long curly strawberry blond hair, in an updo, is tucked neatly into my large, brimmed hat and my parasol completes my look. All this, along with the sea-breezes, is a positive effort toward staying comfortable in the day’s sun and heat while enjoying the view of the Olympic events as well as the view of the Baltic Sea too.

As the spectators continue to chat with each other, our focus shifts to the last-minute preparations around the swimming events in front of us before it all begins. A lady sitting a few rows back from myself shared that she is a first cousin of Great Britain's Flag Bearer – Charles Smith. I so badly wanted to share who I was but couldn’t! I wanted to be completely honest about my own connection to one of the few British female swimmers because…well… I was still confused about how the heck I got here through time! The swimmer to whom I am connected, that I had also never met but really wished I had was my Grandma, Jenny Fletcher. At this point in her life, she was not yet married (to Grandpa, Henry Hill Hyslop), had not yet had any children (7 to come) - never mind all the grandchildren. She passed away five years before I was even born. I felt it was important and wanted to keep as much truth to my story in who I was related to I would always be proud to be connected no matter how well I knew her. Until it was necessary to share, I was not going to offer any extra information here. This opportunity…however it was happening…will always be a blessing.

While here, I will solely be relying on the stories that had been told by my Grandma then retold by her children then finally told to me the youngest cousin by 20 years. I know well all the information that I had looked up and learned of the era. Now a little nervous, I find myself consistently listening and watching those around me for the current social cues, of this era. It will help me to enjoy this treasure of an experience as I attempt to be relaxed and fit in with the crowd.

The officials and lifeguards are in place. There are only four competing teams. These sixteen lady swimmers of this “Team Race” (later to be called a “Relay Race”), are about to be ushered in with their long cloaks on. These lady swimmers will then get ready in their positions. As this preparation happens quickly, I observe the various reactions of the crowd to the bathing suits for these ladies. I imagine many are thinking the tighter, full body and knee length suits are scandalous and sinful. I find it interesting how time, only a mere 112 years have slipped by since these direct reactions to a very modest bathing suit have changed but the commonality of society. I suspect how they think in a variety of ways hasn’t changed much towards many issues that arise. I wonder what 1912 society would say or think of bathing suits or many other issues that we, in 2024 have or are dealing with. The ladies are asked if they are ready; 16 head nods are received. A “hush” comes over the area. The starting pistol is raised and we all hear the following shouted ……. “On your mark … get set … “BANG!”” Four strong, lean women lunge forward in a dive meeting the water with a splash each swimming their best and fastest their 100m to the other end being sure to touch and hold the side of the dock before their teammate can dive and swim back from whence the first came. Four times this will happen!

The crowd is intently focused and cheering on the swimmers! Wow! I want to say that they went WILD! However, this era is much more conservative than sports events of our current day in 2024. They are getting louder as each team member finishes. Definite gaps formed between the teams. This is the coolest experience I have ever encountered ~ to be able to watch and cheer on my Grandma and her team! As the race comes to an end it becomes evident where the top three medals were to be given…….

 Gold ~ Great Britain ~ Belle Moore, Annie Spiers, Irene Steer, Jenny Fletcher

            Silver ~ Germany ~ Wally Dressel, Louise Otto, Grete Rosenberg, Hermine Stindt

            Bronze ~ Austria ~ Margarete Adler, Klara Milch, Josephine Sticker, Berta Zahourek

With a lot of WHOOPLA as the four teams shake each others’ hands, these participants move to a waiting area as a few more events follow. The stands are quiet and follow through similarly throughout each event until that day’s events are completed. At this moment, each of the top three winning teams or participating individuals move to their pre-determined locations in wait for their events award ceremony to begin. Sweden’s King Gustav was in attendance and was part of the official award ceremony. The King hung each medal on each lady then placed the ceremonial laurel wreath upon each head beginning with Gold. I was able to see this clearly from the stands remembering that my Grandma Jenny would later quote that one of the highlights of her swimming career was during that moment when she heard King Gustav softly say, “Well done, England”!  As I shared that moment, with her and the crowd my mind drifted momentarily to knowing that she would also win a bronze medal at that Olympics. These achievements added to her many swimming achievements including breaking records then holding them for seven consecutive years. The hard work of long twelve-hour days, six days a week then going to train for swimming all while being one of eleven from a poverty stricken home, sure paid off. My mind wanders back as the stands become quiet. The focus has changed to everyone getting up and heading out while a local band plays some traditional music for the dissipating crowd. I am accidently but gently bumped by the lady beside who says “Miss…you sure do look like that Fletcher lady with all that curly hair you have!” Before I could answer this jovial lady, I found myself hearing some other music that was gradually getting louder and overlapping the band in an annoying sort of way, like how today, on occasion it happens on the radio…With a deep breath of realization, at that moment discerning that the whole event that seemed so real and was sure I had the pleasure of attending…was all a dream! I could have reached out to touch, hear, smell as well as feel every bit of it!

June 28, 2024 07:04

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

5 comments

03:03 Jul 27, 2024

I really enjoyed writing this story. The research & the recall of the things I new from this time & her memories reservice regularly especially before a summer Olympics.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Virginia Workman
05:44 Jul 05, 2024

Loved it Jane Anne, I could just reach out and feel that bar between the stands and the water.

Reply

14:48 Sep 28, 2024

Thanks for reading & sharing with me! Appreciate your time!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
L. D.
12:12 Jul 04, 2024

I see we both picked history-making Olympics. :) I did not know this portion of the women's swimming! How wonderful for you to have such a special connection to this event. I love how you juxtaposed the A/C with the sea breezes and weather-appropriate clothing. People all throughout time have found ways to stay cool!

Reply

14:52 Sep 28, 2024

Thanks for reading & taking the time to share with me your thoughts. Appreciate it! Love writing stories with true facts & connections woven through to help them to come to life. Hoping to make them more real then history better remembered.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.