0 comments

Fantasy Western Suspense

It had been common knowledge for the simple folk not to leave their house past midnight. This western world wasn't one for excitement, the best bet for a little action would be bandits seeking refuge and the sheriff being to old to do his job letting them stay. The darkness spawned the monster and creatures curious for the taste of human flesh. Past midnight, through the witching hours until the break of sunlight. Those were dangerous hours. Not even the bravest of men set foot out past midnight. Yet the whistle and limping of a strange man was heard outside the nearby window. The folk looked out with curiosity but tried to hide their faces in case a monster would recognize them later on. The man limping one leg shorter than the other could not be clearly identified through the dark night. He had to be a stranger from the other world not knowing what creatures lie and wait for him. 

The older folk speculated him to be a demon trying to lure his prey out of hiding. However the man simply walked up to the tavern. Knocked on the door three times. The people hearing the echoing "Knock… knock… knock." as they watched eagerly at the man/demons next move. No answer came from the scared owner. The man realized his luck. Limping over to the chair sat outside of the building and taking a seat. 

The folk watched him. Making turns to take a quick slumber before getting back to their shift. The sun made its appearance over the horizon. People waited eagerly for the man to burst into flames. Or vaporize into hell. The man just sat. Observing the empty town. No one had the courage to come out. Not after a man of the darkness arrived. 

The Baker family's youngest daughter had an unnatural interest towards this traveler. She did not believe him to be a demon or a monster. She believed these folk to be simple minded and caught up in superstition. Her father did not allow her to step foot outside. Carefully guarding the door, armed and ready for the demon attack. She huffed. What good will a gun do to a supernatural entity? 

She stared out of her small bedroom window. Mesmerized by the strange man. Perhaps he believed like I do. That these folk are insane. Perhaps he can take me away from this old fashioned town, she thought. Her escape had to be planned carefully. She looked at her bed and measured up the sheets. They won't be long enough to hold her to the ground but what is a little fall then for freedom. Hastily she tied the sheets to the bed and threw them out the window. Slowly she started making her way down. What she did not anticipate was that a single knot would not hold her body weight. The sheets started to loosen and panic shot through her. She landed with a thump. Pain swirled around her body. 

She did not want to give up. She pushed herself off the ground. Her right leg hurting as she tried to put pressure on it. She started limping to the man. She could hear the gasps all around. It had not mattered to her, this was her freedom. The man looked up in her direction. He seemed human. His eyes were bright turquoise making her wonder if he really was human. His face was dirty indicating he had been traveling a while. A smirk appeared on his slightly matured face. This man had some experience in life. His face showed the lines of adventure and wisdom. His brown hair had grey stripes making it more clear that this man wasn't young blood. 

"We match." His voice was smooth and filled with humor. She smiled back at him. Suddenly fear struck through her. She dismissed these rumors but standing in front of this man she started to doubt. 

"Are ya a demon?" she blurted out. The man looked stunned for a moment before bursting out in deep laughter. After a few minutes he regained his senses, smiling up at the girl. 

"Is this why everyone is hiding from me?" His voice was full of joy. The girl slowly nodded, still frightened of his answer. 

"My dear." he smiled again. "I am as much a demon as you are a bird. Though my stalking around at night might leave some to believe otherwise. I am but a humble travel seeking accommodation." 

"Why do ya travel at sundown?" she hesitantly asked. 

"Because it's peaceful and cold. The warm sun is too exhausting for me since I do not travel by horse or carriage." he stood up. Limping towards the middle of the square before he loudly spoke up. 

"I do not wish you harm, folk.  As you can clearly see I am just human, I haven't harmed the jolly girl nor do I intend to. Please come down so I can formally introduce myself." He bowed at those last words. Slowly one by one the people started to emerge from their hiding spot. The more people came out and stayed unharmed the faster the crowd moved towards the man. He smiled. 

He limped up towards the tavern again. The owner came out and joined the crowd. He took the chair he had previously been sitting on and moved it to the front of the deck facing the crowd. He sat down and looked at all the men, women and children who now stood before him. The girl standing next to him. The crowd talked amongst themselves trying to figure out the origins of this man. He held up his hand and the talking came to a halt. 

"My name is Edward Jones. I am a traveler. I wish to learn stories. It is my passion. I sat here all night trying to find the supposed monsters and demons rumored in this town. Non came to my attention. However I do not wish to leave you empty handed. Therefore I will tell you one of my stories I have heard or seen during my travels." The crowd scooted closer. Eager to hear. 

"I met a boy once. Nice lad. Adventurous. A little too adventurous. He had heard of a creature living in the caves near his town. A town just like this. The creature had glowing red eyes. Horns coming from his skull. Two viscous teeth that can't fit into its mouth. Tiny sharp ones that did fit into his mouth. His skin is rumored to be made out of the flesh of his victims. As soon as one rotted off he would pick the flesh from his next victim, clean off the bones and morphed himself into it. The boy thought he could prove his worth fighting the creature. 

The boy set off traveling inside the cave. He spent days there. His mother worried about his disappearance. She begged the sheriff and some brave men to go look for him. Eventually she convinced them and they traveled to the cave. A pair of bones was found outside the cave. Clean. No flesh and no blood on the bones. The mother looked up at the cave horrified. She let out a scream as she saw the face of her son with glowing red eyes ducking his head back into the cave. "

The crown stood stunned. Looking at each other for a response. The man bowed his head at them. Limping down to the gravel road. He started walking a few paces towards the exit, then turned. 

" Remember folk. Do not stop believing in your rumors and stories. Farewell." He eyed the girl. His eyes turned a glowing red. "Farewell curious child."

June 02, 2021 07:34

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.