19 comments

Coming of Age Inspirational Romance

The first beams of the rising sun guide him. Step by step he goes; walking slowly, no rush. He’s contemplating the spring greenest grass like the perfect carpet; the new shapes of the trees that invite their friends (birds and squirrels) to come back and to stay; the colors of the new flowers whose natural perfumes call colorful butterflies and fast hummingbirds to have their best banquet. His moderate walking allows him to watch everything in slow motion, to genuinely notice and appreciate this world’s details.


This early morning, Carlos took a long hot bath, then he shaved carefully, he combed his hair the way she loved him to do, and he dressed up, he even wore his best cologne. They had decided to meet always on this day of the week. Thus, today he meets his sweetheart, the love of his life, his first and only love: Mia.


Mia and Carlos met, for the first time, at a friend’s birthday party. They were young and full of life.


“Hey, Carlos!”


“What’s up?”


“Haven’t you noticed?”


“What, man?!”


“You’re such a case! Someone is looking at you, I mean, staring!”


“Don’t you dare to start with your weird things!”


“No, bro, for real! Turn, left, slowly, and you’ll see Emma and her beautiful friends, they’ve been talking and giggling. I think Emma’s flirting. They all are dolls but Emma, man… she’s the prize for any man.”


“So, what?”


“Right, you’re right, Carlos. I just forgot to tell you… I’ve been observing them. First, I thought it was me Emma was paying attention to… Then I realized Emma is VERY interested in YOU… which, quite frankly, I don’t understand since I’m much PRETTIER than you, man. Lucky bastard you are! Turn, slowly, don’t let them notice you’re looking.” The good-looking blonde boy with blue eyes said.


“All right, all right. I will.”


Emma and her friends were, indeed, very attractive town girls. Actually, any boy would have gone crazy about knowing Emma -the most popular girl at school- was having some kind of interest in him; especially, when that boy’s just arrived to the USA. Being the new student at school doesn't help much to achieve that task.


There were 5 girls, Emma was standing at the left end. However, even though Carlos was interested in flirting back to Emma, when he turned, Mia’s eyes trapped him in. Mia was standing at the right end, and Carlos couldn’t continue looking at the rest of the girls. His look was stuck right there, within Mia’s look. He wasn’t able to fight Mia’s love’s call. He just surrendered at that moment and from that moment on… and for always!


That was the beginning of Mia and Carlos’s story.


Carlos kept walking, slowly. He’s been carrying a bouquet of petunias all along from home. He always remembers to take some flowers with him, but petunias are Mia’s favorites. That’s why Carlos is always busy in their garden to provide Mia with all kinds of flowers.


Some more steps… and she’s right there.


“Hello, sweetheart! I’m on time, am I not?”, Carlos said, kind of worried about being late. He wouldn’t allow himself to make Mia wait for him. He’ll never waste a minute being without her. Time is a precious element!


Mia smiled at him, her real love.


“I’ve been walking a lot; so, I’m kind of tired, I’m sorry. But you know that, darling, don’t you?”, Carlos explained.


Yes, I know, honey, but I know your love will always bring you back to me and that’s what matters”, Mia replied and accepted his tender apology.


After catching his breath, Carlos added.


“Honey, I’ll set everything for breakfast in a minute.”


Carlos put his picnic basket and flowers down on the grass. First, he set a tablecloth on the ground. Then he set everything else. Finally, Carlos put a vase in the middle of the tablecloth, then he poured some water into it in order to put the bouquet of petunias into the vase.


“Everything is set and wonderful; right, sweetheart?”, Carlos exclaimed.


Everything is perfect, darling… just the way you are! God has given me the perfect companion to share my lives”, Mia complemented.


Carlos started to prepare a sandwich for Mia, turkey and ham, and a sandwich for himself, peanut butter and jelly; despite his doctor’s disapproval! He even brought some fine Costa Rican coffee, Ateneo, to spoil Mia and to cheer him up! (Carlos breaks into tears every time he is with Mia, so many emotions he cannot refuse)


Carlos starts his talking routine when he visits his wife’s grave at the cemetery. He tells her all events during his week, how their 2 children and grandchildren are doing, how much they miss her and how much Carlos misses her. That’s when he breaks into tears.


“Darling, I know Heaven is timeless, endless, but I’m counting the minutes to be with you… Your death turned our heaven into a hell. Don'´t misunderstand me, honey, but it hasn’t been the same since you… passed away. I keep praying the Lord to deserve His forgiveness and love to be with you, then with Him.”


Believe it or not, Mia’s spirit is there with Carlos. Mia pays attention to every word Carlos has to say. She also misses their conversations and making love with him. Carlos is her heaven and Heaven understands it! That’s the reason why God gives Mia a little earthly paradise to be in every Sunday morning, with Carlos.


On every Sunday, after talking to his wife, Mia, Carlos stands up, picks everything up. Then he cleans his wife’s gravestone, carefully, slowly, while Mia’s spirit floats in the air, above him, always watching him from above. Mia watches, with her heavenly young eyes, his wrinkled hands working. She’s waiting for him to share her lives (earthly and heavenly ones), forever… for always!


“I’ll see you next week, darling.”


Carlos started to walk his long way back home, slowly, no rush, according to his old body’s pace. His only hope is seeing his wife soon, in the cemetery and beyond.


I’ll see you next week, sweetheart.” Mia said goodbye.


February 13, 2021 02:59

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

19 comments

Amanda Lieser
19:22 Sep 07, 2021

Hi Henry! Thanks for the suggestion to read this piece of yours. I really enjoyed it. I thought you captured some beautiful details of their relationship. I also love how you began at the very beginning. As a reader, I wanted to hear about the wedding, how they created their family, and the moments they found out they had grandchildren. Overall, I loved this piece. I’m looking forward to any feedback you have for me! :)

Reply

20:22 Sep 08, 2021

Hi Amanda! Thank you for your feedback and for your time. I'm very glad you've liked my stories so far. Those are excellent recommendations; however, my main concern was Mia, his love for her, and their encounter(s). I'll keep reading your stories as soon as I can and, I promise, I'll make comments on your stories (I'm a teacher and teachers don't have any time during some weeks, and these weeks are those weeks haha). By the way, if you want to try thrillers, mystery, horror, fantasy, etc., I recommend you to write stories in Strangest Ficti...

Reply

Amanda Lieser
18:14 Sep 10, 2021

Hi Henry, Those are great points. This is a wonderful community to focus on specific moments. For now, I’m well grounded in reality, but as I grow into a more courageous writer, I’m hoping to breach into more genres. Thank you so much for looking at my stories and I look forward to your comments and reading more of you work!

Reply

17:17 Sep 13, 2021

Thank you a lot. Blessings.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Émilie Blanc
18:54 Jun 24, 2021

At first I was like, why is Mia speaking in italics? But the twist at the end explained it all and it was really good.

Reply

22:21 Jun 24, 2021

Hi Elsa! Thank you for reading my story. I'm so glad you liked it. I have always thought this story will be a great video clip for a romantic song. Blessings.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Zenita Belle
21:01 May 10, 2021

Amazing first sentence.

Reply

03:24 May 15, 2021

Thank you, Zenita Belle. I'll keep working on my narration style. Blessings.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Eddie Thawne
00:44 Feb 24, 2021

The title caught my attention. I loved it but I loved the story more. A beautiful and well crafted story. Great Job!

Reply

03:52 Feb 25, 2021

Wow! I'm so happy you liked my story, quite an honor! Thanks for your nice comment. Blessings.

Reply

Eddie Thawne
07:53 Feb 25, 2021

You're welcome

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Redana U
10:19 Feb 23, 2021

A very touching and heartwarming story. I love your style!

Reply

20:46 Feb 23, 2021

Thank you a lot Redana Uch! I appreciate it! I'll keep working hard...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Ellie Yu
22:31 Feb 20, 2021

The prose of this story is so, so gorgeous. I'm really in awe of your writing style. I found this so touching and I really was not expecting that twist at the end. It's beautiful, thank you for giving us this.

Reply

18:52 Feb 21, 2021

Thank YOU for your kind words. I'm very glad you liked it. I always try to work both, the narration (as much as I am able to) and the story itself. Blessings

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Grace Lawrence
17:49 Feb 17, 2021

Loved this story!! So bittersweet, but so, so good! The beginning grabbed me right away - a very lyrical, descriptive way to set up the mood for the entire piece. And I loved that you kept the readers in ignorance of Mia's death until near the end! Definitely added a lot of interest to the story, in my opinion:)

Reply

23:01 Feb 19, 2021

Thank you a lot for your kind words. I'm very glad you liked it. You've got it! Love, when it's for real, has no rush... and it finds a way. Blessings

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Asha Pillay
17:34 Feb 17, 2021

What a touching story! Loved it.👍

Reply

23:02 Feb 19, 2021

Thanks for your comment. I guess I accomplished my goal! Thanks for telling me so. Blessings.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.