0 comments

Adventure Horror Suspense

“Well that was dramatic.”  I mumbled under my breath, walking away from my friend Amelia.  Her straight black hair whipped around, snapping at my comment.  Anger burned in her grey eyes, a scream exploding from her lips.  Her heels clicked against the cracked pavement, her body slamming into me.  Her grey wool scratching my soft pale skin, long red nails grabbing my face.  Small lines of blood appeared on my face.   

“What was that!” She screeched in a high pitched voice. “Do you think you have the right to steal my man?”  Confusion contorted my face, an odd frown forming on my painted lips.  What the hell is wrong with her?  Fury boiled in my veins,  my hands looking for a way to get her off of me.  A small rock lay just inches from me, my fingers grasping the smooth white rock.  

“Why the hell would I do that!” I shouted, bashing the rock on her forehead. “He is a disgusting man anyways.”  She rolled off of me, holding her head.  Scrambling to my feet,  my worn boots smashed against the pavement.  My long brown wavy hair was tangled, my knees scraped up.  The green field lay vastly in front of me, a cheap metal fence keeping me from my freedom.  Leaping over the fence, her heels clacked closer to me.  A nasty scowl curled on her red lips, a small river of blood flowed from the corner of her forehead.  Hastily, she tossed her black heels to the side, grunting and groaning her way over the fence.  Standing still, my copper eyes slammed shut waiting for the impact.  Nothing happened, a pregnant pause hanging between us.  A cold breeze blew up my navy a-line dress with a sweetheart neckline.  Amelia collapsed to her knees, holding her head in her hands.  Slow clapping erupted behind me, my feet slowly turning around.  Her boyfriend Andy, stood behind us in a black sweatshirt and black jeans.  The black leather of his gloves shimmered in the blue moonlight.  

“Good job, my dear.” He mused, running his hand through his short blond hair. “I love it when you bring me treats.”  Amelia stood up, an evil grin spreading across her face.  Silver glimmered in the moonlight, a blade resting in her palms.  Of course, it is me who runs into Mr. and Mrs. Murder.  No weapons were to be found around me, leaving me little hope.  Wet grass squeaked underneath my boots.  A cow mooed in the distance, telling me there was a farm nearby.  

“You shouldn’t run my dear friend.” Amelia cooed, playing with her hair. “You did a number on my face.  Dang girl, you are a feisty one.  I like them feisty.”  Her tongue licked her lips hungrily, grossing me out.  Sick and disgusting would not hold a candle to the two of them.  

“See you later, losers.” I called, sprinting towards the mooing.  Groaning, they chased after me.  Their feet pounded against the ground, gaining some serious ground.  Relief washed over me when a white farmhouse came into view.  Swears exploded in the dark night, only assuming that they stepped in a cow patty.  Giggling to myself, my body came to rest on the peeling porch steps.  Light flooded the porch when a young brown haired man opened the door.  His chocolate eyes glittered excitedly at the sight of me.  A large boyish smile danced across his face, making my heart skip a beat.  

“Howdy, Darlene.” He twanged sweetly, his denim overall falling slightly off of his shoulder. “What is eating you tonight?”  Before I could answer, I jumped into his house and locked the door.  Concern flashed in his eyes, his smile falling. 

“Two killers are after me.” I blurted out between breaths. “Amelia tricked me into thinking she was my friend.”  Silence hung heavily between us, his mind taking his sweet ass time figuring it out.  His arms crossed, eyes filled with disbelief.  

“Oh, shoot.” He exclaimed, reaching for the door. “Sweet gentle Amelia.  She wouldn’t harm a fly.”  Slapping his hand away, his eyes fell on my face.  A frown darkened his face, his finger wiping away some of the blood.  My heart nearly beat out of my chest, his boots clicking away into the other room.  Soapy water sloshed in a small green bucket, his hand pulling out a chair for me to sit on.  My body collapsed into the chair, a rough washcloth dabbing at my face.  He leaned in close, his lips about to touch mine.  

“Let me in, Darrell.” Amelia pleaded, banging on the door. “A killer is after me.”  He glanced between the door and me.  Shaking my head no, he stood still.  Bang, Bang, Bang, her fists pounded on the thick wooden door.  Then silence, frightening silence.

“Amelia.” Darrell called out suspiciously, eyeing the door. “You alright.”  Wood exploded everywhere, the door crashing open.  Amelia sauntered in, her boyfriend trailing her.  Her eyebrows furrowed, the knife glinting in the yellow light of his home.  

“You are dead!” She shouted, waving her knife. “Do you know how much poop I stepped in?”  A crooked grin danced across my scratched face.  Darrell crossed his arms, leaning back into the wall.  

“Don’t like cow patties much.” He taunted, reaching behind the grandfather clock. “Get out.”  A long barrel shotgun sat in his hands.  The click of the safety rang out in the still room.  Her boyfriend rolled his eyes, pulling out a black revolver.  Fright froze my body, looking for a way to call the cops.  My cell phone felt heavy in my hand, noticing that everyone was distracted.  Calmly, my fingers dialed nine one one, a soft woman’s voice kept talking.  Taking my chance, the stairs creaked as I ran up them to the bathroom.  The oak door squealed shut, the locks clicking into place.  Heavy footsteps ran up to the door, making a shadow.  

“Send help to the Alstader’s farm.” I stammered into the phone. “My friend and her boyfriend are trying to kill me.”  The door handle wiggled aggressively, the oak door straining with each kick.  A black boot knocked the door down, her boyfriend standing in front of me.  His head tilted in dismay, a frown forming on his lips.  Pain exploded in my head, his hand grabbing my hair.  Each step smashed into my back, finally smashing back into my chair.  Rough rope cut into my wrist, getting tighter and tighter.  

“You are a pain in the ass.” He growled through gritted teeth. “I hate playthings like you.”  Agony burned in my leg, him slamming the knife into my leg.  A scream exploded from my lips, hope leaving my eyes.  Tiny sparks erupted from my phone, my heart shattering with each stomp.

Something was off, Darrell was not around.  Maybe he escaped, ditching me to my fate.  

“Hey, dickhead.” He insulted, whacking him on the head with his gun. “Are you-”  Amelia stabbed him in the back, her boyfriend falling to the worn wooden floor.  Darrell crashed down next to him.  A dark chuckle rumbled from her lips, her finger wrapping around the trigger of his gun.  Cold metal pressed against my forehead, slowly her finger pulled it.  My eyes slammed shut waiting for the outcome.  A bullet shot out, only it wasn’t mine.  Amelia fell to the ground, the life leaving her eyes.  The gun clattered to the ground, a short dark haired officer untying me.  Darrell stirred awake, the cops dragging her boyfriend into a cruiser outside.  An EMT took Darrell to the hospital, his face crossing between conscious and unconscious.  Panic washed over me, letting sweet darkness embrace me.  

Bright lights blinded me, an outdated hospital room greeting my aching head.  Darrell sat next to me, waiting for me to wake up.  A crooked grin danced across his face, his arms wrapping around me.  His lips pressed against mine hungrily, time melting away to just us.  Pulling away, our faces flushed scarlet.  

“How about we go on a date when we get out of here?” I offered, cuddling into his chest.  Nodding, he laid in bed next to me.  Hopefully tomorrow will be better. 

December 07, 2021 23:44

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.