Blueberry bread and Honey cake

Submitted into Contest #100 in response to: Start or end your story with two characters sitting down for a meal.... view prompt

0 comments

Friendship LGBTQ+ Romance

My heart skipped a beat when I saw her!! Nearly 15 years! The dwindling past now seems like someone else’s story. All those deep emotions of fond memories have evanesced… like the faint fragrance of dried potpourri flowers slowly losing their scent. We have not kept in touch. I wonder why! Actually, I know exactly why. While I was standing there pondering, her eyes met mine! I waved at her. She waved back. From feet away, I could see her eyes sparkling, like the big diamond ring on her finger. Engaged?! Married?! She walked towards me. My heart raced towards her… as if where she stood was my finish line, and her beaming face, my trophy.


Lisa: “Hi! What a pleasant surprise! How are you?”.


Her voice has softened, like a round pebble polished by the running river. I led with the mundane mandatory ‘breaking the ice’ questions.


Me: “Indeed… so long! I am good, thank you. How are you? And what brings you here?”. 


Lisa: “I am good. On a much-needed vacation. What about you?”.


Me: “Same. I flew in yesterday. Staying at hotel SpeakTree, across the market street. You?”.


Lisa: “Great! I am staying there too. I checked in today, like an hour ago”.


A ping pong ball bounced up and down my chest. 


Me: “Cool! Well… if you are not too busy, let’s grab breakfast and catch up?”. 


Oops! Those words just slipped out of my mouth. A sweet old habit -- the first breakfast after a long Summer break, filled with crispy fun stories. See, that’s the thing about memories... they never die! Just buried alive in the depth of one’s mind… waiting to be resurrected with a word, a glance, or a smile. 


Lisa: “Sure! We might as well grab lunch and dinner too… you know, 15 years of catching up to do. Haha!”.


Years rolled back in the sound of her sweet laughter! I haven’t thought of her all this while and suddenly, I miss her?! Ugh!!… I pitied myself. 


Lisa: “Do you know any good restaurants nearby? Or should we…”


Me: “No worries. I scanned the entire place yesterday and made a list. There is one at the lake, with a splendid mountain view… really good reviews”.


I doubted if my tone accidentally dropped down an octave, cloaking the nerves of my desperate attempt to impress. 


Lisa: “Still a list maker? Haha! Great! Let’s go there then”.


I gleamed like an innocent child who was appreciated for her first drawing. She remembers! What else does she remember?! Was I smiling too much?? No, I was thinking too much. I took a deep breath and chanted to myself -- chill… chill. 


We headed towards the restaurant, silently walking by the lake. The lakeside was still waking up. A few youngsters hopped inside a speed boat tied to the deck… echoing in the air their giggles and tiny squeaks. The lush green foliage around the lake gently swayed to the tune of the little birds singing in their nests… the gliding wind rattling the twigs and leaves like a group of beaded maracas. The lake water glistened in the sun… her elegant diamond ring too. I wanted to ask, but then I thought -- we just met… maybe later.


The bamboo restaurant had two floors - an open food and drinks counter with colorful tables and chairs scattered by the lake, and the floor above like a rectangular glass box capturing the breathtaking view of the mountains. Mornings on the lakeside were quiet and empty. The evening was when people swarmed in. As the daylight dims, the fairy lights and incandescent lamps hung outside every store and restaurant glow up, embellishing the shoreline like a string of golden sequins… their glimmering reflection in the lake like the stars of the night sky have fallen down and still, burning incessantly in the ice-cold water. We gave our order and sat down at a table closer to the lake. 


Lisa: “You still like blueberry bread, eh?”.


Me: “And you still remember that?”.


My eyes widened for a second, realizing which, I forcefully brought it back to normal.


Lisa: “Yeah, sure! We were best friends back then. Weren’t we?”.


Me: “Of course, yes”.


Before my concealed smile gave me away, I graciously moved my gaze towards the lake. Best friends! Like a frisky fountain from the middle of a tranquil lake, my overslept memories sprung up alive again. 


Lisa: “We had lots of fun. I miss that time”.


She stared at me for two seconds… then blinked her eyes in slow motion, what seemed like a deep sigh. The perfect time to ask about her ring, I thought. 


Me: “So, are you single or married?”.


Asking this question, my poor eager heart felt like a flat rubble skimming through the surface of the lake, hoping to stay afloat.  


Lisa: “I was about to ask you the same. Yes, I am married. Next month is our first anniversary.”


And there! The little rubble sank to the bottom. Well, this was expected. I gathered my thoughts and in an unwavering tone, continued my ‘very casual’ conversation. 


Me: “Is your husband with you on this trip?”.


Lisa: “My wife. Zoya. We planned together, but she couldn’t come. She is a professional photographer. Some urgent shoots came up, so she had to stay back. What about you?”.


Wife?! I couldn’t believe what I just heard, nor was I breathing! That rubble was swirling under the water, caught in an inner current. The food arrived. Good distraction! I needed one. I grabbed a loaf from the bread basket and took a big bite. Wait! I forgot to react to what she said. Argh! Too late now! While I was spiraling in the whirlpool of my stupid thoughts, she was watching me. She waited until the server went. 


Lisa: “You look flustered. Is it the heat? Should we go inside?”.


My inner voice screamed -- What we should have done was come out!!


Me: “No. I am good. The bread is good. You should try!”.


Hastily, I buried my face and the overwhelming contemplation of ‘what could have been’ back in the blueberry bread. 


Lisa: “Yeah! Smells delicious. Here, try this honey cake. My sweet tooth has not yet fallen. Haha!”. 


Like a spell binding my tongue, her heartful laughs ceased my courage to ask her anything further. I put a thick warm blanket around our cold untold feelings and hushed them to sleep.


Once we finished our breakfast, the one which was both sweet and sour, we went on to skimming rubbles on the lake… bantering about the good old days. Back then we were an inseparable pair, the best of friends, the perfect roommates who shared the berry and honey of college life, and also... the same closet.



July 01, 2021 19:43

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.