Going at my Pace~ (Title inspired from Stray Kids: My Pace (I LOVE SKZ!))

Submitted into Contest #87 in response to: Write about a mischievous pixie or trickster god.... view prompt

1 comment

Drama East Asian High School

 He’s still sleeping, isn’t he? I hang up, then call him for the seventh time. Of course, he doesn’t, won’t answer. Okay, fine. Don’t answer, Hyun-Ki. Just you wait.  I shake my head. What a jerk.

I quickly get dressed - and slam the door behind me. As always, all eyes are on me. Of course. I’m the star. The boss of the house. After all, they can’t help it. I wink, not specifically to anyone, but generally, to the dozens of eyes on me. I lick my lips. I’m just starting, baby. Besides, I can’t waste time with them now. I’m on my way to destroy someone. And that someone may just be Hyun-Ki. Maybe. 

But for me, maybe is just another word for yes.

I smile at a tall, light-haired girl, who was, of course, staring daggers at me and my outfit. Jealous. Jealous that she can't be as magnificent as I am. That she can’t be popular with everyone like I am. Jealous that I’m perfect - that everyone likes me, and that I can pul any outfit off.

 Hmph. 

I’m dressed in a white, cropped, off-shoulder top, high-waisted jeans, and a pair of beige, stacked-off heels. My brunette hair is cascading over my bare shoulders in full curls. I look the part, and now, all I have to do is act the part. No difference. I always act the part.

I walk through the orphanage hallway, chin high, my beige heels “click-clacking” down the corridor.

The “mom” of the orphanage shoots me a look and sighs, “Ji Hyun darling,” She says, “You’re showing too much skin.” “Not that there’s a difference today. But it’s my job to remind you, you know. You’re such a pretty girl, but, there are other way’s to show it, honey.”

“Am not.”

“Your choice, honey.”

“Of course it is.”

I keep walking until I reach Hyun-Ki’s room and lean my ear on the door. Yup, I can hear him inside. Snoring. Ew.

I walk away from it, go down the stairs, and frown at the women standing near the orphanage’s doors. I’m sick of this stupid curfew and stuff rule.

When I’m within their sight, I flash them a wide smile, “Morning.”

When I try to get past them, the tall, American one says, “You can’t get out for another fifteen minutes. You know that, don’t you?” She speaks Korean with an English accent.

“I’m just getting something from my car,” I reply. A lie, of course.

“Oh! Okay then, I’m sorry. Just please come back afterward, alright?”

“Certainly.”

Before I get out, the small, petite, Japanese lady stops me, “Are you really just going to your car?”

Nope.

I smile and say, “Yup.”

“Oh, really?”

I smile sweetly at them, “Of course. Wouldn’t want to upset Ms. Choi, would I?”

She narrows her eyes at me, “Oh, you don’t?”

“Of course,” I say, and she smiles, yet her eyes remain on me.

“Oh well, youngsters.”

“Yeah. Right. Because you’re not young anymore, you can envy us.” I snap, then realize it.

“Excuse me?”

“I just said you’re young too, Ms.”

“Oh, did you?”

“Yes.”

She says ‘Oh’ so much.

“Oh, well, you can go off now.”

BRUH!

“Okay, Ms.”

“Ms. Miyawaki.”

“Ms. Miyawaki, I’ll go now.” Huh. 

So full of yourself.

I’m different - my opinion of myself is based on me.

I’m amazing, she isn’t.

“OFF YOU GO, NOW.” Miyawaki Lady demands, and I nod.

Arasso, arasso.”

When I get out, I smirk. Too oblivious, those people.

I stop under Hyun-Ki’s window, grab a few pebbles, then throw them at it. 

Nothing? Are you serious right now, Hyun-Ki?

I take my phone and throw it at the window. He’ll buy me a new one. If it breaks because it’ll obviously be his fault.

This time, the window opens.

“Who the hell is-” Hyun-Ki looks down, “Ji Hy…?”

“You didn’t answer my calls.”

“So you throw rocks at my window?”

“That was my phone.”

His mouth drops open, “What?”

“You’ll buy me a new one, won’t you?”

“You are seriously-”

“You’ll buy me a new one.”

“Fine.”

“Now,” I say, smiling, “Get ready. We’re going to school.”

“Sure, give me a few minutes.”

I can make anything go my way.

I get back in the orphanage and shoot a glance at the Japanese lady. Himari, was that her name?

She sees me and smiles. I can see her muscles tensing up, though. Huh.

What’d you think I was doing?

As if to answer, she says, “Glad you weren’t planning to do anything else.”

“Like what?”

“Who knows what you kids do, nowadays.”

“Have fun. Enjoy life. Date. Go out. Do anything we want because we don’t live forever-” I then remember myself and add, “Study too, of course.”

“Yes, of course.” Her eyes narrow.

Before she says anything else, I bow slightly, then make my way up the stairs and into the corridor.

When I reach Hyun-Ki’s room, I knock. I shouldn’t though, right?

I punch in the passcode. 7214. He doesn’t know that I know, right? Let’s change that.

My hand grips the cold metal, and I feel something sticky. Gooey. I hold up my hand to inspect it.

“EW!” I say. That jerk. Him and his roommate. There’s something called a trash can. Where you can dispose of the gum you just chewed, have you ever heard of it?

Act as if this never happened, act the part. I remind myself. Just tell them a quick, smart lie to throw them off.

I turn the doorknob. When I get in, I grin at Han Gyeol, who is Hyun-Ki’s roommate, “Where’s Hyun-Ki?”

“Cursing in his room.”

Bingo. Of course, he’s mad.

“Oh, and by the way,” I say, “Ms. Choi brought up that you, as well as Hyun-Ki, are in trouble.”

“Why?” He rolls his eyes.

“There was gum on your doorknob. It got on her new pair of silk gloves.”

He runs his hand through his thick, brown hair, “Damn. Hyun-Ki mentioned to me that that was meant for you.” His eyes widen, “Whoops. That slipped out.”

I shrug. For me? I’ll show him.

“Okay, give me a second, I’ll call him.” Han Gyeol says.

“No,” I say, “I will.”

I open the door to his room. He’s still in bed? I grab a book from its shelf and throw it at him.

“Han Gyeol! Bro! You seriously have the nerve-” he stops.

“Yeah,” I say, with one hand on my hip, “I have the nerve.”

“Oh, you, Ji Hy.”

“Get up!” I click my tongue against the roof of my mouth, “It’s time for school, you immature jerk!”

“I’m already dressed.”

“Okay, so, let’s go.”

I walk out of their dorm, but before I do, I notice Han Gyeol whispering something in Hyun-Ki’s ear. Not enough time to see Hyun-Ki’s reaction, though. But, there’s no need. I can only guess.

I stop at Eun’s dorm. I still don’t understand why I’m not her roommate, and Aera is. As if Eun enjoys her company, either.

I knock on the door, “Eun!”

She opens the door, “Who-”

“Who?” I pop a hip to the side.

“Hey girl~,” She says, “Sorry, Aera is absolutely killing me right now.

“So I guess nothing changed?”

“Ever heard of someone cooking noodles in the bathroom?”

“Jesus.”

“Right?”

“Ask Bok Choi to change dorms.”

“You don’t call her that to her face, do you? You should, though.”

“Yeah, but,” I wink, “It’d ruin my angel side.”

“You two-faced demon.” She laughs.

I say, “Besides, why don’t you ask her?”

“I already did.”

“And?”

“Just try to keep good terms with her, darling, you gotta love each other.” She responds in a squeaky voice, almost perfect, to how Choi talks.

I almost puke.

She takes my arm, “Hey, how about I sleepover at your dorm for tonight? You don’t have a roommate, too, right?”

“Yeah, something Choi did right,” I say, rolling my eyes.

“But, for a couple of days though,” She lets go of my arm, turns around so she’s facing me, and holds up seven fingers, “Not just for one night, though. I need… a week? I need a break from her.”

I laugh, “Yes. Sure. Of course. I need company anyway.” I wink.

She smiles, then rolls her eyes, “Let’s go to school together. I’m sick of the rule Choi assigned.”

“Yeah. Waiting for your roommate before you go? To ‘enhance further social relationships’? Jesus.”

“Yes. Now, just give me a minute to get ready, okay?”

“Okay,” I say as she locks the door behind her.

I wait.

Fifteen minutes later, she gets out, dressed in over-the-knees, skinny jeans, and a cream-colored sweater. Her short, caramel hair is curled, (she borrowed my hair curler after seeing what magnificent work it can do to an already magnificent individual.)

Eun smiles when she sees me, “Sorry. Took longer than expected. You should’ve left. Now, we have to walk with Aera.”

“Hmm,” I tap my temple thoughtfully, “What’s she doing right now?”

“Wearing her shoes.”

“Run.”

“Yes.”

We take off.

When we reach the orphanage’s front door, the Japanese lady looks at me, “What are you-”

We run past her, and only stop when we reach the school’s front gate, “Jesus,” I say, “I was planning to stop for some Bibimbap.”

“Sorry,” Eun says, winking, “Were you willing to buy Aera one?”

“Who said I was planning on buying?”

She elbows me, “Pft.”

When we enter the school, all eyes are on us. Nothing different. It always is like this, and always will be.

As we walk through the hallway, I glance over at Eun, then at myself, if that’s possible.

We’re both beautiful. Just in completely different ways. I see Eun smiling at a brown-haired girl, then feel myself winking to another. Eun is an angel-when revealing herself to the public, that is.

I, on the other hand, am a two-faced, sexy devil. No joke. I’ve heard people say it. Although, in front of our seniors, I tend to act angelic as well.

I cock my head to the side, that girl was staring at me the whole time. But, something was different. I’m used to people staring. But, she was staring at me from weird angles, and I even caught her clicking her tongue in disgust. 

I walk over to her, “Hey.”

“What do you want from me?”

“Tsk, I didn’t want to be a prick, but… Well, I’m just trying to be polite.” I say, then gesture around her, “Seeing that you were an outcast, I thought you’d appreciate some company.”

“Oh, I’d appreciate some company,” She snaps, “Just not yours, thank you very much.”

“Look’s like I’m not the prick.”


“Of course you are.” She smirks, “Now, get the hell away from me, you dirty jerk.” 

“I’d like to keep you company, though.” I smile sweetly, acting as if her words didn’t sting. Well, I’m not acting. They didn’t. I don’t give a crap about what she thinks. But, I must keep acting as if I am an angel.

I hear a guy walking near us, say to his friend, “Just look at her. Soo Hi, the outcast is getting invited to hang out by Ji Hyun, and she declined. Who does she think she is?”

Jung Hwan? Wow, even her name is…

“Ji Hy!” Someone says, “Don’t mind her! Besides, An angel can’t bond with trash!”

I smile. I have support. As always.

“Angel?” Jung Hwan says, “That’s a con.”

“Shut up,” Someone else says. People are taking my side, as always, “I can tell you what isn’t a con, the fact that you’re a worthless piece of crap!”

I smile at my supporters, “Thank you, but, maybe me and Jung Hwan can hang out-”

“I’d prefer it if we do not.” Jung Hwan interrupts.

“Hey, Ji Hyun!” Another girl calls out, “Can I keep you company, instead?”

I shoot the girl a big smile, “Anytime.”

Before I go back to Eun’s side, I lean in and whisper in Jung Hwan’s ear, “Sorry darling, but I have the people’s support. Something you don’t have. Did you think I wanted to hang out with you? I have better things to do.” I stand up straight, smooth out my hair, and say, “Okay, Jung Hwan. You have my number. Let’s go out for coffee sometime!”

I walk over to Eun, she smiles, and mouths, I told you so.

As Eun and I walk to the first period, someone grabs my shoulder. I turn around.

“Hyun-Ki?”

“Yeah. So, I didn’t do my History assignment yesterday, can I borrow your notes, please?”

“You’ll be late to class.”

He cocks a grin, “Besides, history is my last period.”

“Yeah, I forgot we were in different classes. But still, you don’t have enough time.”

“So,” He shrugs, “Better late than dead.”

“Hm?”

“You know,” He says, and growls, making weird movements with his hands, “Our History teacher, if you even think about skipping assignments, he’ll bring out the guillotine that he hides in his underwear drawer, and cut your neck right there! In front of the whole class. Then, he’ll wipe our memories and make an excuse-”

“Nonsense.”

“No, really,” Hyun-Ki insists, “He tells the police that you committed suicide, got hit by a car, or jumped out of the window in an attempt to be free-”

“You’re wasting my time.” I shove him out of my way.

He blocks me from entering the classroom, “Ji Hy, please. It’s not like he’ll check your notes too.”

I sigh, “Fine.”

He grabs my backpack, and goes through it, throwing stuff on the floor.

“Hey!” I say as I catch a glimpse of tampons being thrown in the chaos, “Hyun-Ki! Stop!”

“What?” He says, clearly confused. I just want to whack him with that backpack right now. Damn him. Damn the people watching.

Of course, by this time, dozens are gathered around us. That’s what they do. When I do something, people watch. It’s how life goes around here.

I quickly gather my things, pull out my history notebook, give it to him, smile at the crowd, then run into history. Why does life have to be like this?

When I enter the classroom, of course, because of countless people, I’m late. I spot Eun waving me over.

Annyeonghaseyo,” I greet the teacher quickly, exchange bows, then walk over to Eun.

"Annyeong, Ji Hyun. Sueob-e osin geos-eul hwan-yeonghabnida. Da-eum-e neuj-ji anhge haebwa, arasso?" 

"Ani. Singyeong an sseuda, eolgan-i." I snap, because of my sudden bad mood.

I walk out of the classroom, "Annyeong." I roll my eyes. Oops. It happened again. Oh well, I'm the sexy bad girl of Seoul National University High School - and it'll stay that way.

The sexy bad girl of our High School. Sooo, it doesn't matter if I ignore orders every now and then, right? I smile mischievously.

That’s me.


March 29, 2021 17:04

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Rahaf Safir
12:44 Apr 05, 2021

Hey~ so actually, I'm currently writing a story that I plan on publishing, and this is a section of it lmao~ jsyk~ ^^

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.