0 comments

Romance Funny

The Wedding

Cape Town, South Africa – November  2007

“Stupid, stupid map,” I muttered in frustration, flapping the large unruly paper against the steering wheel. “Why did I think using a map would be a good idea? Come on, Amy, you can do this!”

I had pulled over to the shoulder to study and digest this cartographic wonder.

I folded and unfolded the confusing paper once more, but still couldn’t make any sense of it. Not to mention that I had a time constraint. I ran my fingers through my blonde curls in frustration.

I couldn’t miss this wedding for anything. Not only was it the nuptials of two of my wonderful friends, but I had a crush on the groom’s twin brother, Blake. We’d been texting for some months and I’d been reading between the lines-he loved me!

I flew from Pretoria to Cape Town for this wedding at Blake’s insistence. Every indication from our last conversation was that he was keen to take our relationship to the next level.

A rap on the window brought my head around. I wound the window down to speak to the officer standing next to my car.

I peered at his badge. “Yes, Officer Powell. Can I help you?”

He chuckled. “Judging by your wrestling match with that map, I suspect you need more help than I do. These maps can be so confusing. Let’s start by turning your map the right way up,” He laughed good-naturedly.

“So, where are you headed?” he continued. He squinted at the offending paper.

Wow…this officer’s kinda cute. And he looks pretty young too, not much older than me.

“I’m on my way to a wedding and I’m probably going to be late because I decided to try to use this…this…” I waved the map in his face.

“What’s the address?”

I fumbled around in my little handbag and handed him a folded invitation.

“Hmm…invite Amy Jackson…marriage of Brett and Cathy…ah, here it is…44 Ambleside Drive, Barker’s View.”

“It’s a garden wedding,” I said, as if he needed to know that.

“Well, that’s not far from here and I have time on my hands. My vehicle is just behind yours. Once I pull out, follow me and I’ll get you there in the blink of an eye.”

I nodded stupidly, not really wanting to be associated too closely with a patrol car but needing to speed things up.

Well…he took off and I my foot remained glued to the accelerator as I tried to keep up with him. Flashing lights were an unexpected bonus. I was so absorbed in the excitement of the pace, that before I knew it, we had arrived. The entire experience felt like it was over in a flash–literally.

As we pulled up at number 44 Ambleside, I was mortified to see the stares and gawks from the other arriving guests. I sincerely hoped there was no misinterpretation regarding my need for a police escort.

I anticipated being twenty minutes late after meandering through most of Cape Town. Instead, thanks to Officer “The Flash” Powell, I was fourteen minutes and twenty-five seconds early.

I checked my lipstick. Perfect. As I reached for my purse, Officer Powell arrived at my window. He gallantly opened the door for me.

Oh…he’s an officer and a gentleman.

I hurriedly stepped out and straightened my dress.

“Thank you ever so much for your kindness and help,” I said, still feeling the rush of adrenaline after my dash through the neighbourhood.

“Pleasure ma’am, enjoy the wedding.” With a wave and a smile, he returned to his vehicle. In moments, he was gone.

I composed myself as best I could and blended with the other guests on the long walk up to the mansion.

The house reminded me of a colonial manor. The pristine, white walls, gleaming in the morning sun with large symmetrical windows, the battleship grey shutters. Wow! This place was impressive. A grand entrance with columns everywhere gave me a notion that I was starring in a movie. My clicking heels echoed on the glossy wooden floor as I followed the wide hallway to the wedding area.

Just as I was thinking of slipping into the ladies’ room to check my appearance again, the conversation of two ladies ahead of me sent my antenna into alert mode.

“Oooh…” said lady number one, “I can’t wait to see Blake’s face when he sees you in that dress.”

Lady number two feigned a blush. “Oh stop. I need more than, ‘You look lovely.’ I’m waiting for you know what.” She waved her ring finger in the air dramatically.

I hung back, confused. My Blake? Were they talking about my Blake? What was Blake playing at?

Numb with shock, I retraced my steps to the ladies’ room and did a customary check on my makeup in a daze. I took a few deep breaths.

“Come on, Amy, you are not going to let this spoil a perfectly good wedding outing.”

Leaving the ladies’ room, I sidled over to the bar to get my pre-ceremony drink.

“You aren’t from around here,” said the bartender.

 “How’d you know?”

“I know everyone here. Brett and Blake are good friends of mine. I volunteered for this job as I enjoy meeting the guests.”

“Oh…do you…do you perhaps know if Blake is interested in anyone?”

“Blake?” A smiled formed on his lips as he winked at me, his eyes filled with mischief. “Now, why would you be asking that?”

“Oh, nothing,” I said, now thoroughly embarrassed.

“I’m pretty sure he’s into this dark-haired chick, Carmen …this month. But don’t quote me on that. From where I stand, he’s into a different someone every few months. If you want to join the queue, be a guest.” He chuckled at his own humour.

As he handed me my drink, he said, “By the way, I think you look stunning in blue. It really brings out the colour of your eyes.”

Well, that was a surprise. Where did that come from?

I didn’t know how to respond to the compliment, so I thanked him for his advice and the drink and wandered towards the back garden.

The layout was exquisite. My heels sank into the lush grass. I regained my balance and looked around. There were clusters of lounge chairs and garden furniture, interspersed with colourful picnic blankets which reminded me of my gran’s favourite tea garden.

I scanned the faces of the well-dressed guests, searching for a welcome landing place. But almost immediately, I saw Blake in an intimate hug with a dark-haired lady. Carmen? What now? Was the bartender right?

Whew. I was confused and hurt. I needed a distraction. Sitting on a communal blanket not far away was a friendly-looking couple and one other guest. As I approached, I couldn’t help but admire the lavish arrangements of pink and white peonies along my way. The delightful fragrance engulfed me, urging me to break free from Blake and that woman.

I made eye contact with the couple, before rather indelicately plopping down next to them.

The couple, Mark and Jodie, who introduced themselves, were probably fifty something.

“Where do you know Brett and Cathy from?” Jodie asked.

“Cathy and I were on a course together a few years ago and we became friends and naturally, I got to know Brett and Blake as well. How about you?”

“We’ve been friends with Cathy’s parents since we were kids.”

“Wow, that’s cool.”

Jodie leaned over and whispered, “If you’re single, I must introduce you to my nephew, Michael.”

Well, that was awkward!

A charming guy with blonde hair on my other side started chatting me up. I knew I shouldn’t fall for it, because I still wanted to find out where I stood with Blake, but I didn’t have the mind to refuse him. Oh, and his sky-blue eyes might have had something to do with it.

“I heard you arrived with a police escort,” said mister-blue-eyes. “Are you in politics or something?”

“Goodness, no! I just got lost and needed directions.”

He laughed, and I laughed harder. His laugh was infectious.

“So, what do you do?” I said.

“I make people laugh.”

“Oh, a comedian.”

“No.” He chuckled. “I also make them cry.”

“Mmm…a lousy comedian?”

He threw his head back, roaring with laughter.

“Glen,” said a waiter, “the groom needs you in the dressing room.”

“Do excuse me, Amy. I’d like to finish this conversation later.”

Flashing a smile, he disappeared into the house.

Ooh…how frustrating! I still don’t know what Glen did. Perhaps I need to pay a visit to mister-know-it-all bartender.

I finished my drink, stood up, and headed back inside. I nearly collided with Blake on his way out.

“Oh…oh…um Amy, hey…hi…”

He was fumbling for words. I let him stew.

“I…I really love reading your texts. They’re so…entertaining.”

Perfect, just what a girl wants to hear.

Just then, the dark-haired lady joined him.

“Can I introduce you to Carmen, my girlfriend?” said Blake.

“Nice to meet you,” I said. “So, how long have you been dating?” I had to know.

Carmen replied, “Umm…nearly two months.”

Blake looked uncomfortable and hastily excused them.

What a nerve. What a monumental jerk!

“A cola tonic please,” I said as I walked up to the bar.

“Still pining for Blake?” He ducked as I took a pretend swipe at his head.

“No, I’m over Blake. As a matter of interest, though, what can you tell me about Glen, the well-built, mister-blonde with the perfect blue eyes?” Perhaps the description was a little too graphic.

There was that awful knowing grin again. “Oh, you mean Glen Henderson? He is a very wealthy florist. All these flower displays you see everywhere are his creations. Are you interested?”

“Oh, no. I’m just getting to know the guests.”

He nodded and said nothing. He didn’t need to. We both knew it wasn’t true.

Hmmm… how does Amy Henderson sound?

Stop it! I was emotionally wounded and in no position to consider a man in my life for a while. Just stop it!

“Thanks,” I said and moved away with my drink.

I settled in back on the blanket with Mark and Jodie for company.

The ceremony was so beautiful. Brett and Cathy were amazing, reciting their vows perfectly. I tuned Blake and the bridesmaids out, thankfully. The reception was all that I was expecting; beautiful setting, delicious food, fun speeches, infuriating best man. Nope. Not going there. He was history.

Glen never got back to me. Was it something I said? Did I have spinach between my teeth? Or was he just a social butterfly?

As the sun passed through the heavens and chatter began to fade, I decided it was time to get back to my hotel.

Hotel? Where was it? Better still, where was I? I had no idea where I was or even the route to get here. If I couldn’t find my way in the daylight, the thought of fumbling with the map in the darkness was a terrifying prospect.

“Ah, Jodie,” I said, “Um…would you perhaps know the way to The Prince Edward Hotel?”

“Oh, Amy dear, I’m so sorry. We are from way up the coast. We are almost as clueless about this area as you are.”

Great!

“I couldn’t help overhearing, Aunty Jodie,” came a male voice from behind me. “Perhaps I can help.”

I stood up to get a better view of my knight in shining armour.

“I know exactly where The Prince Edward Hotel is,” he continued.

He rattled off a series of turns and street names, completely ignoring the profoundly blank stare on my face.

Jodie, still sitting, smacked him on the leg. “Michael, can’t you see you lost Amy after the first corner? Giving her directions won’t help. Do something better.”

Michael looked suitably chastised and apologised profusely.

Oh, that dimple. Keep apologising Michael, don’t stop.

“Amy, is it? I’m so sorry. I tell you what, I will leave now with you, and you can follow me.”

“Oh, no,” I said, “I couldn’t put you out like that.”

“No. No problem at all. It is practically on my way home.” Then he hit me with the most dazzling smile. I stared, transfixed.

“I’ll go get my jacket,” he said. And just like that, he disappeared.

“Amy…my nephew’s nice, isn’t he?” said Jodie with a grin. What was it with all these people and their grins?

Seconds later, he reappeared, and we headed out through the house. I waved at the bartender, and he waved back with a knowing wink. Annoying man. Nice…very nice…but annoying.

True to his word, Michael delivered me safely to my hotel and saw me properly ensconced in the lobby.

“Hope I can see you again,” he said, before he took off. I could get used to that kind of attention. A girl could hope that he would make the effort to see me again.

                                                                       ***

It was three months since my trip to Cape Town and there hadn’t been a text from anyone at the wedding.

Well, another chapter in my life closed. No loose threads here.

The kettle whistled. I prepared a cup of hot chocolate to take to bed with my latest book.

Ping.

I casually looked at my phone and the banner said the message was from Tess, a good friend of many years.

Tess: Hey Amy, if you’re free on Saturday night, would you be interested in going on a blind date with a good friend of mine? He’s up here for work from Cape Town and mentioned that he met you at a wedding a few months ago. He’d love to meet you at 7pm at the Solid Rock restaurant on Nicol Avenue. I think you’ll really like him. Interested?

The message was a little cryptic, but Tess was a gem and I trusted her. If her friend was anything like her, I was definitely interested.

     Amy: Hey, sounds a little nerve-wracking, but I’m in.

     Tess: He said he’ll be holding a white flower…that’s how you’ll know him!

     Amy: Okay, Cool. Thanks Tess, see you soon.

Memories of the wedding flooded my mind.

Ooh…I wonder which of the gorgeous guests could be Tess’s friend?

What about mister-blonde, the flower guy? Now wouldn’t that be cool. What was his name again? Oh yes, Glen and Amy Henderson. That had a nice ring to it. I giggled. And…he said he’ll be holding a white flower …hmmm.

Or what about mister-let-me-lead-you-home? He had a smile to die for. Nothing too shabby there. He said he had wanted to see me again. He was maybe just a slow mover. I could work with slow.

Oh, not to forget the bartender. He was fun and I think he really liked me. Well, he liked my dress, at least. There’s that. And I would never need to mix myself a drink again…ever.

This was promising to be a very interesting evening, come Saturday.

Wait…what about Blake the Flake? That would be a surprise. Nah, not likely. Blakey boy had burned his bridges. Then again, perhaps it would be Blake and I could give him a piece of my mind.

Yup, it was gearing up to be a fun evening with a bit of mystery. Just what the doctor ordered. Better open up that chapter again. It definitely wasn’t closed, not yet, anyway.

                                                                       ***

Saturday finally rolled around, and I spent hours getting all dolled up for this date. The nerves were building and more than once I thought of messaging Tess and calling it off, but my curiosity won out.

I arrived early. No way I was going to come in late and be on the back foot. The staff showed me to a table.

I was a whole twenty minutes early. The longest twenty minutes of my life. I stole frequent glances at the door, my heart racing with anticipation.

Each second ticking away felt like an hour. What if I was hoping for Michael and it turned out to be Glen? What if it was the bartender and there was no real chemistry? Oh, dear. Why did I let Tess talk me into this craziness?

I was checking my watch for the three hundredth time when a voice behind me said, “Ma’am?”

My heart froze, and I turned ever so slowly.

It was the waiter.

“There is a gentleman outside who would like to speak to you.”

“Oh, sure,” I said, my heart beating out of my chest.

The waiter pulled out my chair. I stood, gripping my purse to steady my shaking hands. He escorted me to the door.

This was it! The big reveal!

I felt a little dizzy. Was it the tension of the moment…or the flashing blue lights?

As my focus returned, a well-built, attractive individual leaning against a patrol car flashed me a mischievous smile.

“Can I show you back to your table?” He moved from the car to my side in three confident strides. “Or do you need a map?”

I grinned!

Well, I didn’t see that one coming!

July 25, 2024 21:30

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.