5 comments

Coming of Age Contemporary Fiction

Brooke


Today is the day my life begins. Yes, the day I have been groomed for, ever since I could walk. Well, maybe even before that! You see, today I get to meet and marry Brent Everleigh the Duke of Kitsburge, and my betrothed.


You would think to group me with all the mindless romantics who cannot wait to get hitched and start popping out babies but you would be wrong. My joy is only so because today is also the day I get to leave Avery Manor, my family home, and my own version of a prison.


Being of royal blood there are certain expectations I must meet. I must have an education in all matters Garviland, our beloved kingdom, and learn specific skills all of which are only meant to help my future husband look good. Yes, you read that right, the only purpose I serve is to appease a man, a fact I have loathed ever since my lovely mother so candidly explained it to me.


The day I realized that my gender somehow placed me at a lesser station in life, at least according to society, was on my fourth birthday. I was eager to learn horse riding just like I had seen my older brothers do and so I asked for a pony for my birthday. I received one but I quickly learned that I was not supposed to mount my precious pet like they did.


No, I was supposed to ride side-saddle, because; ankles this and indecent that! I gave up the miserable way of riding and went off in search of other interesting activities but quickly learned that what I thought was interesting was also only meant for the male species.


From then on, I was determined to learn and match my brothers in all the activities they were engaged in. Mother tried to keep a leash on me but as I grew older, I found ways of appeasing both her and myself. I decided I would learn her approved activities but I would also sneak away and learn something I wanted to. Mitch, the youngest of my three older brothers agreed to teach me all he learned as long as I didn’t cry or get him into trouble if I ever got hurt.


It wasn’t easy and we almost got caught a couple of times and I had to beg him to keep training me every time someone almost caught on. Mitch, being the opportunist he was, would always make me pay him back by doing some of his chores. Well, the joke’s on him because cleaning his armor, his room, and covering for him whenever he snuck off with one of our maids only hardened me for the real world.


This is why I cannot wait to get out of my Father’s Manor today, I believe I am ready to face the world and for once in my short seventeen years, I get to taste what freedom really is like.


One might wonder how that is to be achieved especially if I am to marry a Duke. Well, I have it all figured out. The little research I was able to do on the man, is that he is a rebel who had sworn off marriage but his father made him take a wife or risk losing the title and since he happens to love the life his title affords him, here we are.


After getting married today, he will now be in charge of my trust, a sizable amount which I am entitled to should I require it. I have been dreaming and planning this for a while because the minute I have that money in my hands, I will sail to Paris a city where I hear, women aren’t seen as only child bearers but are applauded and celebrated for their minds.


I look at myself in the mirror and smile. I have to admit, mother is talented with that powder kit because not one blemish can be seen on my face. The door opens and I turn to watch her glide in followed by a tall gentleman who is adorned in a fine ruby-colored coat that reaches his knees where his black shiny boots begin.


“Sweetheart, you have a visitor.” She looks at me apologetically then gestures towards the gentleman.


I stand and watch as he comes closer, his eyes roaming the fitting white gown I spent hours squeezing myself into. I am about to deep into a curtsy when he speaks.


“You are a little tall, aren’t you?” He asks. His gruff voice disturbing the hairs at the back of my neck.


My eyes narrow involuntarily but I don’t even try to correct the sneer as I prepare to shove his arrogance back at him. “I believe your height is what should be put into question in this case. I can easily see the top of your head.” I can’t but he doesn’t need to know that. 


“And bony too.” He continues ogling me as if I hadn’t just tried to insult him.


“Excuse me?”


“Are you simple too?” The gasp that escapes my mother’s lips matches the rage I am feeling right now.


“Who the hell are you?” I demand.


“Language!” My mother growls between clenched teeth.


“Is this what I am to marry?” He turns and glares at my mortified mother then turns his gaze back at me and my breath stops. This is the first time I am seeing his eyes and boy are they gorgeous. They are the hues of new spring growth surrounded by golden flecks that glitter every time they catch the candlelight. He narrows them after noticing my loss of speech and I almost moan when the green within dims. I clear my throat and rack my mind for a comeback at his brazen rudeness.


“You aren’t a prize yourself sir,” I start, and after quickly stealing a glance towards my mother whose jaw is still on the floor, I forge on, “for starters, you just barged into a Lady's room, what if I had been indecent?”


He snorts, “nothing I haven’t seen before.”


“Well, you haven’t seen mine, sir!” The retort comes as easily as the glow of his now dilated pupils. I watch his Adam’s apple bob up and down as he lets his eyes roam over me once more. “You are shameless!” I quickly fold my arms over my chest when his eyes linger there a second longer than necessary.


“No, I am a man with needs which I doubt you will be able to fulfill seeing as to how unladylike and bonny you are.” He takes a step closer and my heart rate picks up. Having him this close to me, I can’t deny that his green eyes aren’t the only thing he has going for him. The man’s chin is expertly sculptured, his eyebrows neatly arranged and curved, his nose is straight and lean while his mouth is supple and full, regardless of the lingering sneer.


The man is a dream and the girly side of me is off swooning somewhere. I clear my throat and try to summon my inner rebel but she too is busy getting lost in his emerald eyes and masculine scent, the traitor! Left alone to my devices, I take a trembling step back and turn from him.


“It is not a must we marry, sir.” I say, deep regret filling me at the prospect of remaining in my father’s house one more day, “It is clear you are not pleased with whatever I have to offer.” My rebel side is now alert wondering what manner of idiocy I have succumbed to, but I forge on knowing exactly the buttons I must press, “As a Duke, you are allowed to change your mind at a moments’ notice, I believe there are many other women who will please you, Your Grace.” See, there aren’t any more women of nobility that he can choose from. Those that are there are either attached or too young to marry. I know this and so does he. I am his last option if he is to retain his title.


Silence reigns as I wait for his response. I stay turned away from him so as to avoid his devilishly handsome features which at this rate are a weapon all on their own.


“There is no need for such extremities. I am to attain a wife today and I believe you are just as capable as any skirt wearer. Now, hurry up, we mustn’t keep our guests waiting much longer.” He turns and leaves his delicious masculine scent behind. I mentally high-five my rebel self, Paris here I come!

~~~~~~~


Brent


I walk out of the room, and I cannot believe what just happened. Not only is Brooke the most gorgeous woman I have ever laid my eyes on but her witty comebacks had me holding on for dear life. I have never failed miserably at any mission before in my life. I had one job this morning, to insult her so bad that her family wouldn’t dream of letting a rake like me have their daughter. The family would pull out, my father would be mad at them, and then he would be forced to give me more time to enjoy my freedom before tying me down forever.


I lost the battle the minute I saw her in that dress. The glittering Rhinestones on her strapless gown made her appear as though she was the northern star swimming in her own constellation. Her height was perfect, not too tall nor too short and her comeback about my height had amused me to no end. I could easily see the top of her head where a tiara of more glimmering stones nestled in an intricate hairdo.


My heart has never beat so rapidly before. I pace the corridor as I try to compose myself before heading down to the banquet room where the ceremony is to be held.


“You are still here.” Her voice permeates through my muddled mind and I turn to find her standing by the now open door, she’s wearing a veil that conceals all the beauty I had seen while in the room and I desire to reach out and push back the lace. My gaze shifts to her mother whose disapproving glare is threatening to incinerate me. See, that’s the kind of reaction I came looking for this morning.


I shift under their scrutiny and I am afraid they can see my armor begin to crumble and so I retreat to my defense mode and attack, “Just wondering how much face powder it takes to give you that decent look. Is it the whole bottle? Will you need to wear all that for the rest of our marriage so I can bear to look at you?” The insult comes easily and mentally slap myself for not thinking before blurting it out.


Brooke smiles! Yeah, full-blown heart-attack-inducing grin and I imagine the headlines; “Groom dies after witnessing his bride's heart-stopping beauty!”


“Oh, don’t worry, they use just enough to keep me high on the fumes so I can bear the mere presence of you.”


My blood boils, the good kind, “the powder has fumes?”


She lets out a bark of laughter and her mother shyly joins her. “Oh, you really are simple.” She walks past me and waves me over, “Come on, we have a wedding to put on, it is neither ladylike nor gentlemanly to keep them waiting.” She struts down the corridor and I only remember to follow her when she turns a corner and disappears out of sight.


“Oh my, what have I gotten myself into?”

January 15, 2021 07:15

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

5 comments

07:52 Jan 23, 2021

Loved it! I felt like Brooke and Brent were in front of me! It's heartbreaking that Brooke thinks of her childhood home as a prison. As for Paris, I hope Brent agrees to sail with Brooke at some point after the wedding. Or was there an option to nominate a chaperone back then to travel with a married woman? All the best for the stories that you are going to write June!

Reply

June Murage
07:32 Jan 25, 2021

Thank you so much. This just made my morning. :) ♥️♥️♥️ As for the chaperone, I hadn't thought that far since this short piece was only meant for the contest. But I love how it turned out and might expand it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Work Count
00:14 Jan 21, 2021

Aww they are perfect for each other. I liked the dynamics between the two. Heres a few feedback, 1. You dont really need to separate their stories. You can just blend brents dialogue with brookes and specify with the normal "he said she said" methods. 2. Its hard to believe royals would have chores so that part didnt make sense to me. Maybe giving him some of her allowance is more believable hm hmmm. But other than that its a nice story.

Reply

June Murage
18:15 Jan 21, 2021

Thank you so much for your reply. Yes the chores bit was off, I see that. ♥️♥️

Reply

Show 0 replies
June Murage
18:15 Jan 21, 2021

Thank you so much for your reply. Yes the chores bit was off, I see that. ♥️♥️

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.