0 comments

Fantasy Fiction Friendship

Misaki ran from the growing flames, toward the small glimmer of daylight ahead. Her den rumbled, as if the Foo Dog, Arau, was digging above her. Misaki allowed herself a small smile. Arau was a great, and powerful, friend in times of need, and this definitely qualified. Misaki jumped across a burning log, singing the tips of her tails, and barreled into the daylight. Arau bounded over to Misaki, smiling as if this was a great game. If only. The Huntsman was coming. And Misaki had to run. Misaki growled at Arau, telling her to go away. However great a friend Arau was, there was no need to bring the Foo Dog into this. Misaki heard words, Human words, coming from behind her den. Misaki couldn't understand Humans guttural tongue, but the Huntsman didn't sound pleased. Misaki growled at Arau again and then ran off, towards the safety of the woods. Arau stalled for a minute, then bounded off after her.

* * * * * * *

Misaki plodded, Arau at her side, toward the One Tree. The One Tree provided safety to all creatures, small and big. It did not allow evil. It did not allow Humans. Misaki looked back at Arau and jerked her head towards a small pond, telling Arau to drink. There was much to do, and not much time to do it. Misaki ran towards the pond, dipping her muzzle into the cool liquid, slurping up the water as if it would get away from her. Arau appeared beside Misaki and drank from the pond as well, submerging her whole face. Misaki curled her lips in disgust and took another long drink. After their thirst was quenched they trotted to the shade of the One Tree, laying down on the cool dirt, bellies round and tired from the run. Suddenly Misaki shot upright, listening to the trees. Her blood turned to ice as she realized what the sound was. Hounds. So the Huntsman had another trick up his sleeves after all. Misaki barked at the sleeping form of Arau and ran a few steps. Arau perked her ears, but didn’t get up. Misaki barked again, telling Arau of the coming danger. Arau shot up like a rocket, charging past Misaki and cowering behind her, whimpering with fear. There was a hole in the One Tree’s roots. If Misaki could find it… Misaki growled and ran towards the Old Tree, finding the hole, dashing inside and down the long tunnels within. Thankfully the hole was big enough for Arau to follow. Sadly the hole was big enough for the Hounds to follow as well. Misaki barreled down the corridors of dirt, pulling around one corner, and into the sunlight again, Arau close behind. Misaki could hear the Hounds running through the corridor, coming closer and closer as each passing second ran like sand through Misaki’s paws. Arau barked for Misaki to follow and dashed towards the pond again, jumping in with a tremendous splash. Misaki grimaced as she waded in, the wet mud squishing under her feet. She looked back at the shore, towards the Hounds following her and the Huntsman on the shore. The Huntsman wanted Misaki’s tails badly, for they gave certain powers to the holder. Misaki could not give that power to anybody, much less a Human. How the Huntsman knew Misaki was terrified of dogs, she didn’t know. Misaki paddled with renewed vigor, reaching and passing Arau. Arau watched as Misaki ran ashore, shook off and scampered away from the water, barking for Arau to hurry. Arau gave a burst of strength and practically blew out of the water like a torpedo. Misaki ran from the Hounds, thankfully still in the water, and towards a wide open plain. Arau followed her into the grass and sun, drying off quickly in the bright rays. Misaki sprinted towards another fox hole and charged into it, disappearing in the long winding tunnels. Arau let her sound take over, following Misaki’s footsteps as she ran above the tunnels. She preferred the wide open spaces over the dark underground, and besides, there was no way she was going to fit through the tiny hole. Arau could hear the Hounds closing in behind her. They couldn’t fit down the holes either, and so they were following Arau, who was  following Misaki. Arau ran toward one side, going the opposite direction that Misaki was going. The Hounds followed her, away from Misaki. Arau almost barked for joy, but managed to catch herself just in time. The Hounds growled at her to stop, but Arau knew it was a trick. She didn’t stop running away from Misaki. 

* * * * * * *

Misaki heard the footsteps fade away from her, but didn’t pause for even a tiny rest until she was sure she was below the tree line. She carefully put her slender nose up out of a hole and sniffed. She didn’t smell the Hounds, or the Huntsman. She didn’t smell Arau. Misaki pulled herself out the rest of the way and took a large breath, laying down on top of a pile of leaves. They were not as comfortable as the bed of leaves she had at her den, but they were enough. Misaki closed her eyes, intending to get up in a few minutes, but instead fell asleep.

* * * * * * *

Arau dashed through the trees, away from the Hounds and the Huntsman. They still assumed she was following Misaki, even though Arau had been running for hours now. Arau cut across another field, jumping over the  logs and rocks that stood in her way. She raced toward the other side of the field, charging around a small lake, and slamming into a rock wall. The Hounds rushed toward her, but before they could reach her, the Huntsman called something, and they stopped short just a few feet from her. The Hounds started pacing, growling at her to stay put. The Huntsman walked over to one of the hounds and muttered something to it. The Hound jumped forward and barked up a storm, causing Arau to back up in surprise. Arau heard something under her paw click, and she was suddenly shot into the air, folding over herself as a net wrapped around her.

* * * * * * *

Misaki opened her eyes and looked around. Something was wrong. Arau was in trouble. Misaki shot to her feet, barked once, and started to run. She soon picked up the smell of the scared Foo Dog. Misaki dashed toward the scent. The scent was coming from far off. It would be long until she got there. And there was the Huntsman to think about… but there was Arau. she needed saving, and Misaki would give it to her. And so Misaki ran, over hills and streams and rocks, all day and night.

* * * * * * *

Arau was caged like a wild animal, which, granted, she was. But a free spirit shouldn’t be restrained, and Arau knew that much. She barked and barked, hoping Misaki would come.

* * * * * * *

Misaki prowled around the Huntsman’s camp. The Hounds hadn’t noticed her yet, but it was only a matter of time. Misaki was looking for an in the camp, out the camp heist, but that certainly wasn't going to happen. Misaki snuck towards the back of the camp and heard a howl. It didn’t sound like a Hound, but Misaki didn’t know them that well. At all, actually. The sound had to be Arau! Misaki almost cried for joy, but caught herself. She pawed silently toward the cause of the sound, only allowing for the sound of her breath escaping her lips. Misaki slinked towards a cage covered with tarp and surveyed it quietly. A whimpering sound slipped from it, telling Misaki that the cage did indeed hold her friend. Misaki bit down on the tarp and pulled it away, revealing the shadowed form of Arau.

* * * * * * *

Arau whined as she saw her friend pull away the tarp covering. She walked towards the bars of the cage and barked, telling Misaki that she was unhurt. Misaki hissed for her to be quiet, which Arau happily obliged to. Misaki growled and started to glow. The transformation started at the tip of her third tail and spread down the rest of her body until all Arau could see of her was a glowing ball. Misaki stepped toward the bars, which melted under the radiant light. Arau waited until Misaki had cooled down before hopping out of the cage. Misaki growled for them to start moving to the forest, and they both turned toward the woods and immediately bumped into the Huntsman.

* * * * * * *

Misaki barreled between the Huntsman's legs, using her tails to trip him. Sadly, the maneuver didn’t work. The Huntsman whistled and there was another howl, but this time the sound was cold, and uninviting. There were growls as the Hounds moved in and circled the pair. Misaki barked for Arau to follow, then turned to run towards a section the Hounds weren’t patrolling. They dashed between the two Hounds and towards the forest. The Huntsman called something and followed them, the Hounds close behind. Misaki and Arau ran through the trees, around a boulder, and almost over a large cliff. They managed to stop themselves, and turned toward the Huntsman and his Hounds. The Huntsman said something neither of the pair could understand and then he and his Hounds lunged for Misaki. Misaki, in her freight, slammed into Arau, sending all of them tumbling over the side of the cliff. 

* * * * * * *

Arau’s fur whipped around her as they fell, but she could still see Misaki glowing again. The Hounds and Huntsman fell past her, screaming as they went. Arau tried to bark, but the air was ripped from her lungs. She saw the earth coming in closer and closer. The ground grew bigger as they fell toward it. She closed her eyes. The air ripped around her and suddenly there was a bright flash of light and she felt grass under her paws. She opened her eyes and saw that she was by Misaki’s old, charred den. Misaki appeared next to her in another flash of light. Arau yapped, asking Misaki about the Huntsman and Hounds.  Misaki shook her head slightly. They were gone. Arau then flopped down in the dirt and promptly fell asleep. Misaki looked down at her sleeping friend and finally felt rest coming to meet her.

March 17, 2023 02:01

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.