Contest #186 shortlist ⭐️

24 comments

Sad Friendship



Just a little longer. 

My chin on the couch. I’m so tired. Everything hurt. When He touched my face it felt better. He brushed the hair from my eyes. Raising my head a little I licked His hand. It smelled like the BEACH. We used to go there together. My head would be out the window, and I could smell the whole world. At the BEACH, He would open the door and let me run. I ran and ran. My paws felt light. He threw the ball for me, over and over. I would bring it back, it was salty. And He would throw it again. He would sit on His blanket, call me His Good Boy. Then give me some of His sandwich. We would look at the Big Water in front of us. After a while He would start walking back to the car. I wanted to stay. I always waited before following.

Just a little longer.


Just a little longer.

We are in the car now. He carried me. Put me on my favorite blanket. It was soft. I could smell grass on it. I closed my eyes, and could see the Big Hill we would go to. On the hottest days, my tongue hanging, and breathing heavy. He knew what to do. He would laugh as we raced. Down the hill together we went. We lay on the blanket in the grass, tired, and He would pull out a cold stick that tasted delicious, (Ice Cream?) from a cold box. Then I would run. Sometimes grass hoppers would fly up and I would try and catch them in my mouth. They squirmed against my tongue, and I spit them out. This made Him laugh some more. The sun would be so bright, I had to squint my eyes. I knew it was time to go, when He picked up the blanket. I still waited to follow.

Just a little longer.


Just a little longer.

All the windows are rolled down, he knows I love the wind. I’m so tired, but I can still smell the world. I smell bread. I love bread. My eyes are still closed. I think of the day He was mad. I was a Bad Dog. I opened the Food Door, and pulled out all the bread. Why was it in there piled up? Why shouldn’t we eat it? Bread was so soft, smelled so good. After he picked it up, he patted my head, I was never a Bad Dog for long. Then we sat on the couch and watched The Box. I loved when we watched The Box. Mostly because he rubbed my shoulders, scratched my nose, and patted me until it was Bed Time. Bed Time was my favorite of all. We would lay on a big squishy pillow, lots of blankets, I could smell Him, I would walk in circles on the blanket until it was just right, He would smile, and rub my belly until my eyes would close. Sometimes when He stopped I lifted up my head, and He knew.

Just a little longer.


Just a little longer.

I smell bread again. Its so strong, like its right in front of me. I realize the car isn’t moving anymore. I open my eyes, still so tired. I see Him. He had opened the door to the car, and was holding a brown bag. Good Boy, He wasn’t smiling, and He patted my head again. He opened the bag and gave me my own bread. I wanted to eat it all, but for some reason I could only eat a few pieces. It tasted just like I remembered. I licked His face, it was salty and wet. Good Boy. He sat in the back seat with me. He didn’t say anything. I could hear the brown paper bag crinkling under His feet. I closed my eyes, I could see Him, when I first came Home. He carried me from The Place. The Place was loud, barking, echoing in my ears. Hiding in the corner, I remember He came. He had a brown bag, the scent hit my nose, and I didn’t feel scared anymore. He pulled out a piece of bread, and sat down, waiting for me to come to Him, I remember feeling small, I sniffed his leg, and let him scratch my chin. I loved Him. He was Home. In the car, He kept His hand on my back while I sat next to Him, He said home wasn’t far.

Just a little longer



Just a little longer. 

He was carrying me again. We are at the place that smells. Smells like MEDICINE, and CLEAN. Good Boy. So tired. My eyes are closed even while He carries me. I can hear noise in His chest, as I lay my head against Him. I hear voices, none of them His. We are in a room. It feels cold. He wraps the blanket around me. I put my nose against it so I don’t smell the CLEAN. Good Boy. His whisper tickles my ear. I think of us under the sky. He took us to the MOUNTAIN. He said it was like HEAVEN. We lay there at night, I could hear everything, and the smell of the fire and HOTDOG was strong. We walked there together, He let me run ahead, and I would wait for Him to come. I never went too far, He was Mine, and I was His. So tired, my eyes feel heavy, I try to lift my head, but cant. His hand on my head. Voices again. I hear Him, He sounds different. I tried to give Him a nudge, to show him it would be ok. I was His. It was colder, and He wrapped the blanket a little tighter. He always knew. I could smell His breath, it smelled of coffee and bread, His arms around me. We laid there, in the cold room. I don’t know how long. I could feel His chest rising and falling. The door opened and closed. I smelled grass, bread, sand, the mountains….Him and I in that room.

Just a little longer.

February 22, 2023 19:22

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

24 comments

Willy P. Tickler
04:01 Mar 02, 2023

Hello, this was misleading and I was mortified. Be more careful on how you word stories please, I am still balling

Reply

Wendy Rogers
04:46 Mar 02, 2023

Awe I know it was sad to write it…. We contemplated changing the ending, to him just needing antibiotics and being dramatic… but decided to keep it as is. Thanks so much for reading

Reply

Willy P. Tickler
05:08 Mar 02, 2023

Salutations Mrs Rodgers, now that I have gathered my thoughts I must say your lovely piece pulled the fraile strings on my lifeless corroded heart as I also have had a pet pass on into the afterlife. May my American Domestic Cat rest in eternal solitude.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Lily Finch
17:51 Mar 02, 2023

Willy P. Tickler, I am getting a tickle out of your comments. You made me laugh out loud. Something I have not done since a good friend dumped me on Reedsy. LF6.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies
Joanna N.
20:55 Aug 30, 2023

What a beautiful story. And so very moving. And this is exactly how dogs perceive the world and us. I'm speechless.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Story Time
18:08 Mar 09, 2023

A tough one to read, but done with great care. Well done.

Reply

Wendy Rogers
19:53 Mar 09, 2023

Thank you for reading. It was a difficult one to write.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Lorenzo Fusini
13:16 Mar 06, 2023

A heart-disintegrating story... but very well written! I like how you adapt the style to the POV (parataxis and capitalisation of important concepts). I hoped all the time that it wouldn't end the way I expected, but actually it's best like this, I think: stronger feelings leave a longer-lasting footprint. Also, I think I'll start to use the term 'food door' from now on :) Congrats on the SL!

Reply

Wendy Rogers
19:54 Mar 09, 2023

We actually considered not ending it on that note, but we thought it would take away from the story. Ahaha thank you! I know my dog thinks its a food door for sure...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Jane Andrews
07:15 Mar 04, 2023

Even though I knew where it was going from the start, I still found myself reading with a lump in my throat. This is a lovely expression of a dog’s POV - the capitalisation of important words, the doggy vocabulary, the intense devotion to his master… A well deserved shortlist.

Reply

Wendy Rogers
19:45 Mar 04, 2023

Thank you so much! That means a lot, and I’m really glad you enjoyed the story!! We definitely were teary writing it

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Michał Przywara
19:50 Mar 03, 2023

Oh no! As soon as I realized we had a dog POV, and given the title - I had a suspicion. And yet I had to read on. That ending is crushing, and yet the story is also quite sweet. Unfortunately nothing lasts forever, even the very best of things. Congrats on the shortlist! Definitely a good sad story :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Wendy Kaminski
15:14 Mar 03, 2023

Wendy, how awesome! Congratulations on the shortlist recognition this week! :)

Reply

Wendy Rogers
18:26 Mar 03, 2023

Thank you!! We are celebrating over here! :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Laurel Hanson
12:35 Feb 28, 2023

Beautifully done. A great use of the repetition for effect.

Reply

Wendy Rogers
18:44 Feb 28, 2023

Thank you so much!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Wally Schmidt
16:14 Feb 26, 2023

Always so devastating to lose a beloved pet, but interesting POV you chose and it totally worked.

Reply

Wendy Rogers
18:21 Feb 27, 2023

Thank you so much for reading. It was sad to even write it, our pets are just like our family.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Valerie Shand
03:04 Feb 23, 2023

Oh, God, you made me sob, How many beloved dogs and cats have I gone through this with. I pray your good boy is waiting for you just on the other side of the Rainbow Bridge. Beautiful.

Reply

Wendy Rogers
18:22 Feb 27, 2023

Thanks Valerie! It was actually a bit of a tear -fest over here writing this one. I wish our pets could live forever!!

Reply

Valerie Shand
16:51 Feb 28, 2023

Me too!!! Actually, I just plopped out $250 for blood tests for my older cat only to find out he's extremely hyperthyroid, and all other tests are normal. So now (a) I can breathe again; and (b) since Greenies pill covers have failed, I will be shoving pill quarters down his throat daily. Woohoo.

Reply

Wendy Rogers
18:45 Feb 28, 2023

ouch, going to the vet is painful. Im super relieved for you about the thyroid though! that is great news...Have you ever tried wrapping the pills in American cheese? my animals love that, and its super moldable.

Reply

Valerie Shand
00:00 Mar 01, 2023

I'll let you know how the cheese goes. I hadn't thought of it. Thank you!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Valerie Shand
23:36 Mar 04, 2023

Yeah, no-go. However, a can of Starkist, mostly saved in a Ziploc, molded piece by piece around this infinitesimally small pill quarter works!! So there! LOL

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.