Lesson from a Stranger.

Submitted into Contest #49 in response to: Write a story that takes place in a waiting room.... view prompt

2 comments

General

I was waiting at the doctor’s clinic for my regular checkup. The news about the sudden snowstorm in New Jersey was hitting the headlines. I was going through my emails on the mobile. The clock was ticking fast. I really hated the killing silence in the waiting room. It forces one to think more on the negative side of life.

I saw a coffee machine and could not resist myself. I walked up to get one for myself. My eyes were on the TV, trying to read the scrolling banners from a distance. Yes, I could feel that my eyes were not as sharp as it used to be. Perhaps they are waiting for their companion–spectacles. I almost bumped into a sturdy person with a black hat. He came in between me and the TV. I was about to grumble at him as he crossed my path. He was busy on his mobile. His smiling face acted as a fire extinguisher. I continued my journey and got back to my seat. He took the seat next to me. I would say that it was deliberate as a couple of more seats were empty. I ignored him and got busy on my mobile.

The doctor came late, and I had 5-6 patients ahead of me. I was preparing the answer for my boss for coming late. Once I finished the coffee, I stepped into the smoking zone. That stranger just followed me to the smoking zone and said, “Hey, I am Michael. How are you doing?” “I am Jim, I am fine Michael thank you.” I replied him with a faint smile on my face. Though we were meeting for the first time, but somewhere, we both felt that it was not our first time. He ignited his cigar and insisted for me to follow him to the empty bench. I said, “It’s good that we have smoking zone nearby whereas mostly they keep it so far that to smoke I need to think twice.” 

Michael replied instantaneously, “Correct, so what brings you again here?” I paused for a moment and replied, “This is the first time I came here.” 

Michael could not believe my words and reacted sharply, “Really. I thought I met you a month back.” I said, “It must be a case of mistaken identity.” He was still not convinced, and I had a tough time to convince him I was speaking the truth. 

Michael finally said, “Fine, you came here for the first time, now tell me what brings you here?” I did not want to share my reason with a stranger who did not want to be a stranger. I was very reluctant. I was thinking hard to avoid it. 

I stood up and was about to leave. Michael said, “Bro, do not be angry, do not worry. Take it lightly.” I was getting strangulated. I came to meet the doctor but never expected such a strange behavior. 

I got irritated and said, “Please let me go, I am not in a mood to have a discussion with a stranger.” Michael was cool as a cucumber. He was unmoved by my behavior. He said, “I know you are getting angry and do not want to share your story. My friend, just please have your seat and I will tell you my story.” Honestly, I was not interested in listening to Michael’s story. I retaliated and said, “I just do not want to listen to your story. I do not know you and please allow me to leave.” 

Michael was still not irritated and gave a smile and said, “I totally agree with you. Come on, my friend, today is my birthday and just give me your 10 minutes. I will not share my story. Come on, fulfill my birthday wish and speak out your story.” 

I somehow unwillingly fulfilled his birthday wish. I was not ready for such an interview. Suddenly I was walking down the memory lane. I was not sure where to start. It lost me in my thoughts. Michael interrupted my thought process and said, “Come on my friend, do not overthink speak out your pain point.” Michael was sipping his coffee and was waiting for me to speak. I started, “My girlfriend left me and went away with my best friend.” 

He said, “That is really a sad event in your life.” I continued, “I could not believe that she would ever leave me. Once she left, I was trying to repair the loss, but when I came to know about my best friend being the foremost reason. It shattered me. I went into depression and now I am here to consult with the doctor.”

Michael lit his cigar and was looking at my eyes and said, “My friend, you should be happy?” I would have shouted at him earlier but now I knew that it was his birthday so controlled my anger and asked him, “How can you say that I should be happy?” 

Michael replied confidently, “Where is your girlfriend now?” I replied, “She is in California with my friend.” Michael again gave his signature smile and said, “I think they both must enjoy life.” I replied with a hint of desperation, “Off course they must enjoy life.” He hugged me and said, “My friend, let them enjoy life. If you still love her just let her free.” I was listening to his words, but not understanding. He looked at his watch and said, “Thanks my friend for accompanying me on my birthday. See, I believe in sharing the cause of sorrow. It somehow lightens the burden in your heart.” I realized that I was mistreating him.

I said, “My friend, I am very sorry for my behavior. I was not in my best mood when you approached me.” Michael interrupted him with a smile and said, “My friend, I completely understand your situation.” I now wanted to know his reason for coming. I asked, “Michael, I will not leave until you tell your story.” Initially he was hesitant and then he started, “Jim, I was the leading a decent business here in downtown.” I got impatient and interrupted, “So you suffered an enormous loss in the business.” Michael again gave a faint smile and said, “No, my friend, the business is still running.” They lost me in my thoughts of assumptions. Michael said, “My friend, I will say nothing related to my business. It’s a personal issue that brings me here.” I was still thinking about the other reasons. Michael continued, “Once I was addressing a small conference, and I got a call from hospital saying my wife Lisa met an accident. I rushed to her and witnessed her slipping out of my world.” It shocked me to listen to those words from a person who was so cool. Michael continued, “I could not believe the fact that she was no more with me. Since then I come here to get out of it.” I was silently listening to his sad experience. He knew the pain of someone leaving you who is close to heart. He said, “I do not come here every month but every day as the doctor you will meet is my daughter. I come here to meet unfamiliar people and share their sorrow.”

July 11, 2020 02:15

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Rachna Paul
04:58 Jul 17, 2020

Nice story! Really creative!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Snigdha Paul
04:45 Jul 17, 2020

Great story!

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.