Contest #141 winner 🏆

159 comments

Fiction

“... I want to paint you.”

She was surprised, sure enough. But she was also curious. Her face concealed nothing, and that was what fascinated me. As she walked through the gallery, each piece evoked something unique from inside her, and she did not bother to mask it. Anyone could read the critique in her face, if they took the time. It is an artist's dream – to clearly see the emotions we inspire with our work.

Many had passed by my work since the showing began, pausing for a moment, offering a quick word of praise. I didn't approach them. But, when she came to my painting, she lingered. At first, she kept a sort of distance, taking in the portrait from optimum perspective.

Then, she moved closer. Closer, still.

Narrowing her eyes, following the strokes of brush that formed arms and legs, and the arch of the neck. But, instead of smiling, like the others, she was disturbed. There was a distinct anxiety resting in her eyes. And that anxiety shattered me faster than any editorial the local paper had ever dished out. Editorials can be shredded with triumphant pleasure. But in the slight furrow of her brow, and the downward tug of her lips, this woman single handedly brought my heartbeat to a most uncomfortable rhythm.  

It was this distinct discomfort that pulled me from my place of observation and motivated me to speak.

“Something wrong?” I asked. 

I startled her, but she smiled and returned her attention to the portrait.

“I was just looking at this dancer,” she replied.

“Yes, but you seemed... upset?” I ventured. “What is it about the dancer?”

She darted her eyes at me for a moment, but only long enough to decide to continue our conversation.

“It's just, I feel sorry for her,” she explained.

“Sorry?” I wasn’t sure what to think, really. “Why?”

“Because, I think she is lonely.”

That threw me off guard. I was accustomed to the usual praise.

“Beautiful.”

“Profound!”

“Truly, one of a kind.”

It grew tiresome in a way, but it was comfortably expected. The local venues were always thrilled with my offerings, but over time, my enthusiasm was reduced to contempt. When my secretary had first booked this showing for my latest piece, I almost threw my coffee at her. 

I was exhausted with the weekend shows at The Courtyard. True, they had conjured a good deal of business as of late, but I felt no satisfaction at the end of the day. All I could hope for were a few simple remarks, no real conversation. No true appreciation.

I had little expectation for this showing. My most recent work was a portrait of a ballet dancer. A studio had commissioned it, but agreed to let me display it at the show before delivery. It was simple in concept, but stood out amid the offerings of that particular show. Amid the bulky sculptures and spattering of interpretive study, my dancer's clean lines were in stark contrast. Dark strokes outlined her body against white canvas, highlighting her single color.

A pale violet tutu.

“Please, what makes you say that?” I pressed her.

This time, she turned to face me, surely intending to end our discussion, or perhaps threaten to call security. I had to save myself quickly.

“Forgive me, it's just, I am Stephen Erik,” I said. 

Her eyes widened, right on cue. “You mean, you're the--”

“Yes, I'm the one responsible for this… sad little dancer,” I replied, through somewhat gritted teeth.

Sad. Sad was not the word I had imagined when bringing this piece to life. There was a soft laugh mingled with her smile, and I thought I saw a faint blush in her cheeks.

“It's wonderful to meet you, Mister Erik. I always hope to see something of yours here at the gallery, and I've never been disappointed.”

At this, I felt I was able to breathe again. “And, you are?” I prodded.

“Grace.”

“Well now, Grace, please, indulge me? Why do you say the dancer is lonely?”

For a moment, she hesitated, and I almost regretted revealing my identity as the artist. I’ve discovered that nice people are often afraid to offend the creator of the work. Perhaps they think we mix our own blood into the paint, or clay, or watercolors. I have never had such an attachment, although others surely have. More than spared feelings, I always craved true reaction. And, happily for me, Grace could not taper her true impressions.

“She holds herself tightly. Like no one else has ever held her before,” she told me.

I looked again at the portrait. Yes, her arms were crossed over her chest, and her feet tightly planted in fifth position. I had sketched her hands myself, and yet, I had not quite noticed how tightly her fingers grasped. Or, perhaps I had done this.

Perhaps I had subconsciously slipped my own hands into those of the dancer.

“That's quite an observation,” I replied. “Is that all?”

“No,” she admitted. “The color. Purple. It's such a lonely color.”

I chuckled a little. “As opposed to, shall we say, yellow?”

Her eyes darted back to me, wholly unamused. “Yellow can be lonely, too.”

“Oh, really? How so? Tell me this philosophy of yellow,” I implored.

“Yellow is a friendly color. It has lots of friends. Lots of people flock to yellow, because it smiles so much. And then, when yellow cries, they don’t know what to do. Because yellow is the one who smiles. So they just wait. Maybe they hand yellow some tissues or something. But it’s not what yellow really needs. So yellow is lonely, too,” she replied. "Even surrounded by people who love them."

I was silent for a long while. I didn’t really know what to say. So much thought, so much perception into a color that rarely graced the edge of my palette. 

“And… purple?”

She took a breath. “I think purple holds all of its feelings inside itself, until it is alone. And then, it cries. But nobody sees.”

At that moment, I knew.

I wanted to paint this woman.



April 10, 2022 18:00

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

159 comments

Jesper Jee
09:48 Apr 27, 2022

Wonderful story. Like the colors. Simply beautiful.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Veronica Drake
22:29 Apr 26, 2022

I'm ready for chapter two. Please and thank you.

Reply

17:27 Apr 27, 2022

So, I’ve been thinking about expanding this piece 😆 thank you for encouraging me!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Be Happy
11:30 Apr 26, 2022

This is my first time here in reedsy and itsthe first thing i read and im so impressed by the quality and the meaning of the text keep the goof work hanna

Reply

Show 0 replies
06:54 Apr 25, 2022

Your personality description of yellow and purple is very well done. You write effortlessly and it is an easy read even though it is loaded with emotion. Well done. I was deeply moved.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Glen Gabel
22:37 Apr 24, 2022

So wonderful dialogue here. Your descriptions of the colors, emotions and characterization of the artist is fantastic. Great read. Thanks for sharing it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Angela Guthrie
22:25 Apr 24, 2022

What a lovely story. If I were to critique it, I would give it the color silver. Silver is the thought-provoking color.😊

Reply

Show 0 replies
Nandini Panchal.
12:10 Apr 24, 2022

It was simply brilliant! The way you have woven such depth in such a small length! I only wish I could write like you! By the way, congratulations on your win! You totally deserved it!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Kanwal Golaknath
05:01 Apr 24, 2022

Hannah, many thanks for your moving story. I found myself blinking back my tears because the emotions, your story evoked, were so relatable. I loved the brevity of the story as well as the richly nuanced emotions and the two perspectives, so skillfully captured. The painter's perspective and the viewer's perspective, perfectly juxtaposed, add to the tension and result in heightened interest in the progression of the plot. Your choice of words was perfect. And the portrayal of the emotions evoked by the colors purple and yellow, in Grace's mi...

Reply

02:21 Sep 29, 2023

Kanwal! Forgive me for just now seeing this, I have been off Reedsy for a while, but I’m so glad you enjoyed the story this much! People like you are why I love writing, it feels like sharing a special moment. Thank you so much for your kind words ❤️

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Chris Williams
03:48 Apr 24, 2022

Well done.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Angela McGinnis
03:38 Apr 24, 2022

Simply put, I loved your story!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Ariel TRIMMINGS
21:34 Apr 23, 2022

Oh my goodness. I see why you won. I want more. Please tell me there will be more. LOL

Reply

Show 0 replies
Philip Ebuluofor
19:09 Apr 23, 2022

From near close to close. Wishing you the best.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Russell Norman
12:39 Apr 23, 2022

Great story. Congratulations on the win.

Reply

Show 0 replies
All Rounder
10:12 Apr 23, 2022

U know eventhough I m non English speaker but last sentences, "I wanted to paint this woman" I don't know but it gave me whole bunch of feeling ... Overall I will say I can feel this story, the way u have described it Mann... Like I was the one talking to the woman ....... Great win .... Congrats

Reply

13:24 Apr 23, 2022

Thank you so much for reading my story 😊 I’m glad you enjoyed it! I will be sure to take a look at your writing as well!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Jeffrey Niemann
09:32 Apr 23, 2022

Very well written story, I was engaged from start to finish. It occurs to me I'm offering the sort of empty platitudes Stephen dislikes :D but great job in any case.

Reply

13:25 Apr 23, 2022

Unlike Stephen, I will take EVERY word of encouragement 😆 thank you so much, Jeffrey!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Audrey Herrera
06:50 Apr 23, 2022

Great work! I look forward to reading your next story. Congratulations and thank you.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Frank Lester
04:38 Apr 23, 2022

Such an excellent story. I'm not an artist by any stretch, but my daughter is, and I often wondered what she saw when she painted or sketched. This was an outstanding description of what someone knowledgeable in art would think. I may not understand the process any better (I have trouble drawing stick figures) but at least I have a deeper respect for their vision and perspective. Thank you for sharing your story. Well done and so precisely written. Stay well.

Reply

13:29 Apr 23, 2022

Frank, thank you so much! I’m so glad you enjoyed the story. I did lots of art when I was in school, so I had to think way back 😆 I appreciate your comments! ❤️

Reply

Frank Lester
15:53 Apr 23, 2022

You're very welcome.

Reply

Frank Lester
15:56 Apr 23, 2022

Forgive me! Congratulations on your win!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Shelby B
02:34 Apr 23, 2022

I am in love with this story. I found myself wanting more of it!

Reply

13:31 Apr 23, 2022

I am thinking about writing more, and letting them talk about more colors! 😆 thank you so much for reading ♥️

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Bradon L
00:33 Apr 23, 2022

I’ve never heard color described like this before. This was absolutely fascinating!

Reply

13:32 Apr 23, 2022

Aw, thank you Brandon! These are the musings that fill my head 😆 thanks for reading!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Rochelle Miller
00:20 Apr 23, 2022

Hannah, well done - truly beautiful work. I have been recently thinking about the concept that a great writer is an artist of words, and you have brought this concept to life! As a former ballerina - whose favorite color is purple, I was captivated by the picture you painted. Keep up the great work creating stories and bringing images to life. I am inspired by you!

Reply

13:33 Apr 23, 2022

Rochelle, thank you so much! I did ballet for a VERY short time while I was a child, but I did love it! I’m so glad the story was something you could relate to! ❤️ I will be sure to look at your work as well! Keep writing!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.