Contest #141 winner 🏆

159 comments

Fiction

“... I want to paint you.”

She was surprised, sure enough. But she was also curious. Her face concealed nothing, and that was what fascinated me. As she walked through the gallery, each piece evoked something unique from inside her, and she did not bother to mask it. Anyone could read the critique in her face, if they took the time. It is an artist's dream – to clearly see the emotions we inspire with our work.

Many had passed by my work since the showing began, pausing for a moment, offering a quick word of praise. I didn't approach them. But, when she came to my painting, she lingered. At first, she kept a sort of distance, taking in the portrait from optimum perspective.

Then, she moved closer. Closer, still.

Narrowing her eyes, following the strokes of brush that formed arms and legs, and the arch of the neck. But, instead of smiling, like the others, she was disturbed. There was a distinct anxiety resting in her eyes. And that anxiety shattered me faster than any editorial the local paper had ever dished out. Editorials can be shredded with triumphant pleasure. But in the slight furrow of her brow, and the downward tug of her lips, this woman single handedly brought my heartbeat to a most uncomfortable rhythm.  

It was this distinct discomfort that pulled me from my place of observation and motivated me to speak.

“Something wrong?” I asked. 

I startled her, but she smiled and returned her attention to the portrait.

“I was just looking at this dancer,” she replied.

“Yes, but you seemed... upset?” I ventured. “What is it about the dancer?”

She darted her eyes at me for a moment, but only long enough to decide to continue our conversation.

“It's just, I feel sorry for her,” she explained.

“Sorry?” I wasn’t sure what to think, really. “Why?”

“Because, I think she is lonely.”

That threw me off guard. I was accustomed to the usual praise.

“Beautiful.”

“Profound!”

“Truly, one of a kind.”

It grew tiresome in a way, but it was comfortably expected. The local venues were always thrilled with my offerings, but over time, my enthusiasm was reduced to contempt. When my secretary had first booked this showing for my latest piece, I almost threw my coffee at her. 

I was exhausted with the weekend shows at The Courtyard. True, they had conjured a good deal of business as of late, but I felt no satisfaction at the end of the day. All I could hope for were a few simple remarks, no real conversation. No true appreciation.

I had little expectation for this showing. My most recent work was a portrait of a ballet dancer. A studio had commissioned it, but agreed to let me display it at the show before delivery. It was simple in concept, but stood out amid the offerings of that particular show. Amid the bulky sculptures and spattering of interpretive study, my dancer's clean lines were in stark contrast. Dark strokes outlined her body against white canvas, highlighting her single color.

A pale violet tutu.

“Please, what makes you say that?” I pressed her.

This time, she turned to face me, surely intending to end our discussion, or perhaps threaten to call security. I had to save myself quickly.

“Forgive me, it's just, I am Stephen Erik,” I said. 

Her eyes widened, right on cue. “You mean, you're the--”

“Yes, I'm the one responsible for this… sad little dancer,” I replied, through somewhat gritted teeth.

Sad. Sad was not the word I had imagined when bringing this piece to life. There was a soft laugh mingled with her smile, and I thought I saw a faint blush in her cheeks.

“It's wonderful to meet you, Mister Erik. I always hope to see something of yours here at the gallery, and I've never been disappointed.”

At this, I felt I was able to breathe again. “And, you are?” I prodded.

“Grace.”

“Well now, Grace, please, indulge me? Why do you say the dancer is lonely?”

For a moment, she hesitated, and I almost regretted revealing my identity as the artist. I’ve discovered that nice people are often afraid to offend the creator of the work. Perhaps they think we mix our own blood into the paint, or clay, or watercolors. I have never had such an attachment, although others surely have. More than spared feelings, I always craved true reaction. And, happily for me, Grace could not taper her true impressions.

“She holds herself tightly. Like no one else has ever held her before,” she told me.

I looked again at the portrait. Yes, her arms were crossed over her chest, and her feet tightly planted in fifth position. I had sketched her hands myself, and yet, I had not quite noticed how tightly her fingers grasped. Or, perhaps I had done this.

Perhaps I had subconsciously slipped my own hands into those of the dancer.

“That's quite an observation,” I replied. “Is that all?”

“No,” she admitted. “The color. Purple. It's such a lonely color.”

I chuckled a little. “As opposed to, shall we say, yellow?”

Her eyes darted back to me, wholly unamused. “Yellow can be lonely, too.”

“Oh, really? How so? Tell me this philosophy of yellow,” I implored.

“Yellow is a friendly color. It has lots of friends. Lots of people flock to yellow, because it smiles so much. And then, when yellow cries, they don’t know what to do. Because yellow is the one who smiles. So they just wait. Maybe they hand yellow some tissues or something. But it’s not what yellow really needs. So yellow is lonely, too,” she replied. "Even surrounded by people who love them."

I was silent for a long while. I didn’t really know what to say. So much thought, so much perception into a color that rarely graced the edge of my palette. 

“And… purple?”

She took a breath. “I think purple holds all of its feelings inside itself, until it is alone. And then, it cries. But nobody sees.”

At that moment, I knew.

I wanted to paint this woman.



April 10, 2022 18:00

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

159 comments

Rebecca Wonsang
19:01 Apr 22, 2022

This story, while very short in length, it is immense in meaning. In its tightened length, it speaks volumes. You explained the portrait so vividly through both characters eyes, that I felt I could touch the ballerina myself. I've never felt color so deeply before. I pray one day I can write this way. I just started up again after so many years, but I'm hoping it comes back just like riding a bike. Your writing inspires me.

Reply

20:03 Apr 22, 2022

Rebecca, thank you so much for reading my story! I'm so glad that you were truly able to immerse yourself in it! :) I will be sure to check out your work <3 keep writing! you've got this!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Thom With An H
18:50 Apr 22, 2022

I'm a fannah Hannah. The first story of your that I read was The Gospel of Tea. I remember how i felt such depth in that story. I feel it again here. It feels like you have to be both the painter and the woman to see both souls so profoundly. It's a gift. I'm glad I get to read your gifts. Great job, deserving win.

Reply

20:04 Apr 22, 2022

Thom, thank you so much for your kind words, they truly mean so much to me! I want more than anything for people to "feel" something when they finish reading my stories, and you reassure me so much!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Nandini Shukla
03:31 Apr 27, 2022

Hannah I read the story first, and re-read it backward. I love how you portrayed colours here. And the way you described yellow? It blew me away. It is true, yellow is everyone's happy colour. But from now on, I don't think I will look at it the same way again (in a good sense, of course) 😁 A wonderful piece that got me thinking. Congrats on the win! You are an inspiration to all young writers like myself. ~Nandini

Reply

17:27 Apr 27, 2022

Nandini, you are too kind! I’m so glad you enjoyed the story, and I will be sure to take a look at your work as well 😊❤️

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Karan Padda
17:35 Apr 25, 2022

This story has a meaning that creates a definite impact on the perspective of an artist. I like how you described what the character was thinking while she was painting. I also liked how you described the physical features that the character was making while she was painting. This story had many details that appeal to the senses which made it engaging for a reader. This was an excellent story, good job.

Reply

01:24 May 10, 2022

Karan, thank you so much, I really do appreciate all the comments people leave for me! <3

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Story Time
16:12 Apr 22, 2022

Congratulations! What a well-deserved win. Your language and the way you evoke the different moods within such a short space is really amazing.

Reply

18:03 Apr 22, 2022

Kevin! Thank you so much, that means a lot! I worried it was too short, but the moment had depth and energy for me, so I just let it sit and here we are :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Mike Panasitti
15:44 Apr 22, 2022

Hannah, I am a part-time painter and hate to explain the reasons behind my paintings. There usually aren't any, other than to make impressive use of color. Perhaps that's why I rarely paint anymore, but I could really understand the character's dejection when hearing platitudes about her work. I'm glad she didn't throw the coffee into her secretary's face, a cheapskate collector would have been much more worthy of the insult. Take care.

Reply

18:01 Apr 22, 2022

I understand what you mean! I did some painting in high school, and often there was not a "deeper meaning" to the painting. It just was something I enjoyed! Yeah, the coffee moment was definitely her "artistic temperament" coming through. Thank you for reading the story! I truly appreciate it!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Christy Morgan
01:14 Jan 21, 2024

The best story that I've read on this site, to date. Marvelous in how beautifully succinct it is, and yet so rich with feelings and ideas. I can't wait to read your other works!

Reply

15:13 Jan 21, 2024

Awwww, Christy, thank you so much for your kind words! I will be sure to look at your writing as well! <3

Reply

Christy Morgan
16:30 Jan 21, 2024

Thanks, Hannah! Feedback is super welcomed on my end, especially if you have constructive critiques to share...the only way to truly get better!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Roger Scypion
07:49 Feb 15, 2023

A vivid story about color and interpretation of art. Excellent!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Leo Mben
18:10 Oct 12, 2022

This story is so nice

Reply

Show 0 replies
Leo Mben
18:09 Oct 12, 2022

What is the theme of the story please

Reply

12:31 Oct 13, 2022

Hi Leo 😊 thanks for reading my story! I would say the theme is “Understanding” I think people want to feel understood, and sometimes it’s difficult to do that. So in my story, I describe people using color to make it fun but also to talk about emotions. Hope that helps!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Sam Ruggiero
12:59 Oct 12, 2022

I really relate to this story. In my life, I have been counted on to be the sunshine, the one who never feels pain or sadness. When I'm sad or hurt or angry, no one really knows what to do. They just stand by and wait till I bury down the feelings. It provides no real relief, only the promise of those emotions resurfacing and choking me again. I love how you described yellow that way. It makes me feel understood, so... thank you. Keep writing your way into other's hearts, knowing you are changing lives. It's so wonderful to know I'm understo...

Reply

12:27 Oct 13, 2022

Hey friend 🙂 thank you so much for reading and commenting on my story! It means so much to me that it could make you feel understood in that way. Just remember, you ARE seen! When I was younger, I was Purple. But now that I’m older, I am learning to be Yellow. I say LEARNING because the brave thing about Yellow is that they will still be vulnerable, even if the people around them aren’t sure what to do. It takes a lot of courage to be a Yellow. So, I’m proud of you for that! Thank you again. I hope you have a beautiful day 💛

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Catelyn Crabtree
01:07 Sep 15, 2022

My friends always tell me that if I were a color, I'd either be yellow or purple, and after reading this I can definitely see why they'd say that. I tend to be very bubbly and always do my best to stay positive, especially at school, but when it's just me and my boyfriend, I tend to let my cheery facade drop, and sometimes I get a tad overwhelmed and stressed. I've just started high school, and don't cry that often, but when I do cry, it's usually weeks of bottled up stress and emotion that just comes pouring out, and 95% of the time I only ...

Reply

20:02 Sep 15, 2022

Catelyn <3 I love how all of my "yellows and purples" are coming forward. I just hope the story made you feel a little seen. reading about you, I get the feeling you're a very caring and kind person. just remember, even your "purple" side is beautiful, and you don't have to hide it. thank you for reading my story, and for stopping to comment on it!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Timothy Cooper
06:18 Aug 14, 2022

Hannah, you angel, if it's one thing you can do, it's write. My goodness. I'm most definitely a yellow, but my favorite color is purple. And your descriptions, in my opinion, are so accurate it's almost scary. Lots of people cling to me, and I usually have a LOOOOT bottled up inside, but I try my damndest never to let anyone else see me sweat. If I knew the artist personally I would ask him why he doesn't make the attempt to engage more with those who praise his work and ask the questions he would like the answers to, just like he did wit...

Reply

21:25 Aug 15, 2022

Hey Timothy :) just, thank you SO MUCH for these comments! this means more to me than you may ever know. I'm so glad that you connected with the colors! I think people can very much have more than one color to their soul. And the Yellow and Purple people are extra special to me <3

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Tommy Goround
04:40 Aug 12, 2022

Hi. Sometimes I just stop into this story and reread it. It makes me happy.

Reply

02:20 Aug 13, 2022

Hi Tommy ❤️ I want you to know, this just made my heart so happy 🥲 thank you so much for these kind words

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Lily Finch
18:13 Aug 11, 2022

Definitely has an impact on readers as your dancer appears through both characters' eyes. It captures the appeal to readers' senses. (I hope that makes sense?). I enjoyed this piece. Thank you, Hannah. LF6

Reply

Show 0 replies
Mr Sichuan
02:02 Jul 16, 2022

Dear Hannah, we have to tell you that we read this story on our 2-months anniversary of texting, and we thoroughly enjoyed the contents and especially my reading of the contents. It was incredibly inspirational and has triggered us to introspect our own lives and reevaluate how we live it. Therefore, we would like to dearly dearly thank you for making this night so overwhelmingly special for us 💖 lots of love julia and laura

Reply

02:15 Jul 16, 2022

That is so sweet! I’m so glad you enjoyed the story, and thank you for telling me! This made my heart happy 😊❤️ Happy Anniversary!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Eliza H
01:44 Jul 04, 2022

I feel this so deeply.

Reply

04:28 Jul 04, 2022

you must be one of my purples 💜

Reply

Eliza H
00:48 Jul 05, 2022

I think maybe I could be both, at times. With my close friends I think, I must be yellow; with my family and others perhaps purple.

Reply

03:06 Jul 05, 2022

I can understand that I’m glad you could enjoy the story! Thank you for reading it 🙂

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
DM Pelley
17:34 Jun 21, 2022

Really, really well done. Thank you for creating this.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Dionne Nichols
23:19 Jun 13, 2022

Hannah: I loved your story. I studied Art in school; although a terrible artist, my art teacher praised my abilities in art history and appreciation. I was able to truly connect with your characters, their exchanges, and the scene. Well done! The woman's descriptions of colors in connection to loneliness - very inciteful.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Mansi Raj
14:52 May 09, 2022

Now I'm believed that perfect ending does exist. Amazing story.

Reply

01:25 May 10, 2022

you just made me blush :) thank you for your kind words!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.