1 comment

Funny

Kate swore that after last Christmas, she would never work retail again. Yet, here she was in her friend's bookstore two days before Christmas. What had she been thinking!


Her friend, Ginny, had called her yesterday in tears.


“Please Kate. I know you hate retail, especially at Christmas, but I'm desperate. Two of my best staff called in sick and I can't find anyone to replace them. I really need your help!” She pleaded.


Kate rolled her eyes. She couldn't leave Ginny in such a bad situation. She took a deep breath and said “Sure, Ginny. As luck would have it, I have the day off today. I'm happy to help.”


Ginny practically screamed, thanked Kate and said she'd see in a little bit. The store opened early today and was open late. It would be a long day.


Kate sunk into the chair. She thought to herself “What have I just done? I am certifiable. I really need to see someone.”


She actually did have the day off, but she had planned to use it to wrap gifts and have a nice relaxing day at home before she went to her family's home for Christmas Day. Well, that wasn't going to happen!


She quickly got ready, took a deep breath and walked out the door.


Kate took the bus, because she knew traffic would be crazy and she was right. She saw several small fender benders and near misses on her way and lots of road rage. 'Tis the season!


Once she arrived at the shop, she entered through the back door, just in case there was anyone waiting outside. It was always awkward going in the front door when the store wasn't open yet. People always looked at you like they should be allowed in even if it's not time.


Her friend was already there and looked like she was ready to cry.


“Hey Ginny. Never fear – I am here!” she said jokingly.


That got a bit of a smile out of Ginny and the two of them busied themselves getting the store ready. The time passed quickly and soon it was time to open the door. They both took a deep breath and prepared themselves.


They were not disappointed. For a small book store, the number of people coming in was impressive. Kate counted 20 people in the first ten minutes. Things were running pretty smoothly and they were getting into a good rhythm. Kate was helping people in the store and Ginny was ringing people through the cash. If the day continued like this, Ginny would make a excellent profit.


Still, this would be a long day and Kate hoped that nothing to major would happen. Then morning was steady and there weren't too many issues. Some people were looking for books or games that Ginny didn't have, but for the most part people left happy. Ginny was smiling all morning and Kate was feeling pretty good that she had been able to help.


After lunch, however, the wheels started to fall off the bus. All the weirdos and their friends were apparently in the store. It all started when one man who smelled of strong cigarette smoke came in and asked for a particular book. Kate tried not to choke on the odour and look for the book at the same time. She couldn't find it and said so to the smelly man.


“Are you sure? Check again.” He demanded. “I know I saw it in here a couple of months ago.”


“Okay. I'll check again.” Kate capitulated.


She looked through all the books in that section and even checked the computer. Other customers were waiting to ask her questions. She went back to where the man had been and he was gone! Kate had spent 10 minutes looking for the stupid book and he left! She turned around angrily only to find herself face-to-face with an odd woman with a bird on her hat.


“Excuse me, but do you have a copy of the Magna Carta?” She asked. “I want to get it for my nephew. He's very odd and likes that sort of thing.”


Kate looked, but again did not find what she was looking for. She found the woman and told her that they didn't have a copy and received a strange look.


“Whatever are you talking about, dear? Why would I want a copy of that old thing?” With that, she left.


Before she could even get a word out, a young man came up to her in a panic.


“Please tell me that you have a comic book section. The latest X-Men comic is out and if I don't get it, I think I might die!” He almost screamed.


“I'm so sorry.” Said Kate. “We don't carry comic books.”


The young man's face sank and her ran out of the store crying. Kate turned to Ginny, but she was busy with a customer at the cash. She still looked happy, so she must not have seen any of the weird customers.


The rest of the afternoon was equally strange. People were looking for the oddest books, rare books, games she'd never heard of, puzzles, magazines, clothing, food and even hammers. Kate was feeling overwhelmed, almost like she was in an episode of the Twilight Zone.


She'd just about had it when an elderly man came into the store. He had an air of calmness about him and if she still believed, she would have sworn it was Santa. Kate walked up to him and asked if she could help him with anything.


“Thank you young lady. I have quite a list here.” He laughed and she thought she saw his belly shake. Kate thought that she might be going crazy, but he was being pleasant, so she asked to see his list.


He handed her a list of about twenty names. Each one was written in fancy handwriting and there was a gift beside each name.


Peter: 10 years old. Any Percy Jackson book.


Naomi: 8 years old. Any book about women scientists.

Jennifer: 6 years old. A doll.


Kai: 12 years old. Pokemon cards.


And the list went on. Kate looked at the man and he winked and smiled at her. She couldn't help but smile back. There was something about him that made her very happy. She wasn't sure that she'd be able to find everything on the list, but as luck would have it, everything was there.


Ginny couldn't believe her luck as Kate kept bringing the items up to the cash.


“Is this all for one person?” She asked.


“Yep. This guy came in with a huge list and we have everything on it!” Said Kate.


After about half an hour, all the items had been bagged up and rung through. The man paid in cash and smiled at both of them.


“Thank you so much for all your help Ginny and Kate. Have a wonderful Christmas!” Said the man. Kate helped him carry all the bags out to his car and waved as he drove away.


As she went back into the store, she felt at ease and reinvigorated. The rest of the night went smoothly and as they closed up, Ginny turned to Kate and thanked her for helping out when she needed her the most.


“You're the best friend anyone could ever have.” She cried.


“Stop it! You'll make me cry.” Said Kate.


The next two days flew by, On Christmas morning, Kate woke up to get ready to drive to her parents' place in the country when she noticed something under her tiny Christmas tree. She went over to find a small gift. Feeling a bit uneasy, she didn't touch it at first. How did it get there? Her door was looked, as were her windows and the only people who had keys were her close friends and family.


Curiosity got the best of her and she picked up the gift. It was a decent size and fairly heavy. She almost shook it when she felt something in it move! Before she dropped it in shock, she heard a whine come from inside the box and she noticed that there were holes in it. Her hands shook. It couldn't be what she thought it was.


Six months ago, her beloved dog Max had died at the age of fifteen. She had loved him so much that she couldn't think of getting another one for quite a while. Recently, she had been thinking more and more about getting a dog. She missed the companionship and unconditional love of a dog. One afternoon, not that long ago, she had passed a street Santa and he had asked her what she wanted for Christmas as she put money into his collection pot. Jokingly, she had replied that she wanted a puppy.


She ripped the paper off the box and opened it. Inside was the most beautiful puppy she'd ever seen! She started crying tears of joy as she picked him up and cuddled with him. He immediately peed on her. Her tears turned to laughter as she realized what had happened. She cleaned up the mess and took a good look at her new best friend.


“What should I name you, and who brought you here?” She asked.


The puppy cocked his head to one side. He seemed to be pointing to the box, so Kate took a look inside and found a note. She couldn't believe it. It read:


Dear Kate,


Thank you so much for all your help the other day at the book store. There will be so many happy children today because of you. I know that you have had a hard year and I wanted to reward you with the gift you asked me for. This is a special puppy from my home in the North Pole. Have a very Merry Christmas!


Yours truly,


Saint Nicholas


Kate stared at the note. This must be a joke. Santa isn't real, right. She looked at the puppy again and he seemed to smile at her. She laughed and told him that his name was Nick. What else would she name him?


December 10, 2019 22:27

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Juliet Tullett
16:30 Jul 02, 2021

Cute and well written.

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.