99 comments

Romance Mystery Drama

Usually, 


When a person sees a pretty girl standing in the rain outside their small chicago apartment with a mischievous smile on her face, they would call the police. However, Julius Berry was desperate. He hadn’t left that apartment for weeks! Heck, he hadn’t left that room for weeks! He had been hit with the worst case of writer’s block that he had ever seen!

When Julius was seven he wrote his first novel and was an instant hit. His book was about a little boy with the power to control metal. At nine, he made the second book in the series. And by his graduation, his book series, the “Titanium” series, was a ten book series with multiple New York Times Best Sellers, a few talk show interviews, and quite the fan base. 

Now, Julius is twenty five. He graduated top of his class from Yale with a majoring in writing. The “Titanium” series is now thirteen books strong! And Julius’s producers want him to write something new. They want him to start a brand new series that enters a genre that he hasn’t written in before. So, he decided on a mystery. Sounds simple enough right? Someone dies and someone figures out who. 

For inspiration, Julius got himself an old mechanical typewriter that works like a dream and he read all the “Series of Unfortunate Events” books for the fithteenth time in his life. After two weeks of nothing, he decided to stay in his room until he wrote something entertaining but no matter what nothing would come from his mind. His tree of creative brilliance that was once bountiful was now barren. He had barely slept. He had barely eaten. 

Then there, outside his window with a flash of lightning, was a beautiful girl standing on his fire escape. She looked to be his age. She had beautiful green eyes, raven hair, soft lips, and pale skin that looked as though she had never seen the sun a day in her life. She wore a black crop top, black leggings, black sneakers, and a silver ring on her pinky. 

After a moment of just looking at the strange young woman, Julius opened the window. 

“Why don’t you come inside?” He asked. “You must be freezing out there.” 

The lady smiled and said, “Why don’t you come outside?” 

“Because, it’s cold and wet and I have work to do.”

“Which means it’s the perfect conditions for dancing.”

Julius was confused at this. 

“Dancing?” He asked, “but it’s raining and there's no music.”

“Not with that attitude there isn't.”

This woman was the strangest girl Julius had ever met and he found this intriguing, then when he saw the lightning and heard the thunder, he insisted that she come inside.

“Well, since you asked so nicely.” She said.

She stepped through and closed the window behind her. She walked around and caressed every piece of that room with her gentle and delicate hands as the two of them talked. 

“So, what brings you to my apartment,” Julius asked while inside he wondered why he brought a stranger into his home, “if I had known I’d be having a guest I’d have cleaned up some more. I’ve been working on a novel, so that explains the sticky notes and the half eaten chinéese food everywhere.” 

It’s true, that room looked like the inside of Julius’s mind; cluttered, messy, and fully devoted to writing. 

“I completely understand, you’re a genius. Which is what brought me here, Julius.” 

Shocked, Julius said, “Ok, who are you, and how do you know my name?”

With a soft giggle, his guest answered him, “My name is Faith, and I am your guardian angel.”

After a moment of pure silence, Julius erupted in laughter. It was clear he did not believe her. 

“Just come outside with me,” she said, “I’ll show you.”

“No way. You must think I’m an idiot to believe that you are an angel. Aren’t angels supposed to have wings and a halo?” 

“No, actually we are terrifying to look at. That’s why our go-to line is ‘do not be afraid’. That image of wings and a halo is a form that we sometimes take to make humans feel a little more comfortable. If you want, I can do that for you.”

Julius scoffed and said, “Sure, why not. Grow wings and a halo.” 

Faith took a deep breath in, closed her eyes, and wings of golden flames extended from her back, and a ring of bright light formed above her head, leaving Julius in pure shock. After a moment Faith returned to looking like a regular person but Julius’s jaw remained dropped. 

The next hour or so went something like this:


Julius: This isn’t happening. 


Faith: Yes it is. 


Julius: I’m dreaming aren’t I.


Faith: No, you’re awake. 


Julius: Am going crazy? 


Faith: I assure you you’re not.


Julius: Of course I’m going crazy, I’m a writer! How I haven’t already been to a mental facility is a miracle!


Faith: YOU’RE NOT CRAZY!!!


As I said, this went on for a while, it only stopped once she finally did what she came to do, and kissed him. 

When Faith kissed Julius, all his writer’s block went away and the full power of his creative mind was released. He could suddenly see every aspect of the perfect crimes perfected by the perfect criminal. He could see every detail about the most brilliant detective he could possibly think of. Every fingerprint, every clue, every single word he could see so clearly. 


When the kiss ended, there was only silence in the room. Until Julius said the only word he could think of. 


“Wow”, he said, “what was that?”

“The reason I came,” said Faith. 

“But, why?”

“Because, I’ve known you your whole life, and I have grown to love you. I have been waiting to kiss you for so long, and I saw you were hurting on the inside, so I just had to come and help.” 

Julius’s fingers went straight to his typewriter and wrote a single sentence. Then, he looked at Faith and asked, “What now?”

“Now,” the beautiful angel said, “I want to dance with you in the rain.”

“But there’s still no music.”

“Leave that to me.” 

And with that, Faith grabbed her lover’s hand and led him out the window and down the fire escape to the street where the rain fell from the sky. 

“You know what my favorite song is?” She said with a smirk on her beautiful face. 

Of course, only having met her that day, Julius shook his head no. With a giggle and a snap of her fingers, lightning struck, thunder sounded, and as if being played by God himself, violins were heard, then thunderous drums, and guitars and pianos all playing Cher’s “Dark Lady”. Faith pulled Julius close and danced with him into the night. Julius would later ask her to stay with him, but she couldn’t. She could only come when it rained. So Julius would always keep his shower on, so that the falling water would keep his lover there and together, they would write some of the greatest works of fiction the world might never know. But little did Julius realize that this angel of his was his very own dark lady; mysterious, magical, had many secrets of her own, and had told him more than a few lies. 

But that is a story for another day and another time, after all, I don’t want to ruin this special moment for them. So I’ll just let them dance into the night for now. Just two lovers, together in a storm. 






































“Dark Lady laughed and danced and lit the candles one by one, 


Danced to her gypsy music ‘til her brew was done. 


Dark lady played black magic ‘til the clock struck on the 12,


She told me more about me than I knew myself.”


-Cher.



August 29, 2022 14:12

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

99 comments

Dhwani Jain
09:17 Aug 30, 2022

Interesting story, Cooper This was beautiful but those few sentences at the end just intrigue me.

Reply

Cooper Armstrong
13:32 Aug 30, 2022

What do you mean? Do you mean the quote from “Dark Lady?”

Reply

Dhwani Jain
01:33 Aug 31, 2022

Kinda, yeah But also the few lines before that

Reply

Cooper Armstrong
01:49 Aug 31, 2022

YAY! I did good! :p ;) XDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

Reply

Dhwani Jain
08:46 Aug 31, 2022

Yeah you did

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Octavian Adams
20:57 Sep 06, 2022

Hey, Cooper. Sadly, I lost access to our document. I hope, now that the summer is over, it's not a huge problem. If it is, let me know, and we can figure it out.

Reply

Cooper Armstrong
21:40 Sep 06, 2022

Hey doc! It’s good to have you back. How you been?

Reply

Octavian Adams
12:09 Sep 07, 2022

Hey :) I'm doing alright, you?

Reply

Cooper Armstrong
13:28 Sep 07, 2022

I’m fine. I got some new stories if you wanna check em out!

Reply

Octavian Adams
14:59 Sep 07, 2022

Will do when I've got the time! :)

Reply

Cooper Armstrong
15:02 Sep 07, 2022

Great! *hugs* I missed you doc

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
14:37 Sep 03, 2022

I love the quote at the end, and I am in need of a kiss of anti-writer's-block myself.

Reply

Cooper Armstrong
14:57 Sep 03, 2022

Some suggestions: 1. Take the first idea that pops into your head and don’t stop writing. If it’s “stupid”, don’t stop writing. If it doesn’t make any logical sense, don’t stop writing. Heck, logic and anti-stupidity didn’t stop Dr. Seuss so why should it stop you?! Just let everything flow and don’t stop until you’re at the end. I would suggest having a seperate journal for all your writers block ramblings and weird stories. 2. Listen to something that will help you with the genre you’re trying to write. Some examples: Comedy: Weird Al...

Reply

20:19 Sep 03, 2022

Oh gosh, thanks so much! I've been listening to showtunes and staring into space while I try to plot my novel, and I'm not going very far that way. This is extremely helpful! Thanks so much!

Reply

20:21 Sep 03, 2022

In case you're wondering, I chose the topic of "accidental amputation" for one of my projects...

Reply

Cooper Armstrong
00:40 Sep 04, 2022

Well I’m interested.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Cooper Armstrong
00:37 Sep 04, 2022

Yeah, I’ve found that show tunes, while awesome and one of if not the greatest genre of music there is, not to be that good for writing. I find that it’s counterproductive to try and write your own story while immersing yourself in someone else’s.

Reply

14:13 Sep 04, 2022

Exactly. I love Six, it's a great musical, but it's hard to be writing my own forbidden kinda-sus romance if I'm constantly holding back the urge to go "AND I WAS THIRTEEN GOING ON THIRTY" And I love First Burn from Hamilton, well, it was written for Hamilton but not technically in it. But I always get distracted trying to sing all the parts! I found the HTTYD soundtrack is good for writing

Reply

Cooper Armstrong
18:53 Sep 04, 2022

Ok, I’ll try that soundtrack sometime. And also, for forbidden and kinda sus romances with “accidental” amputation, I’d suggest listening to Panic At The Disco

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
TJ Squared
04:08 Aug 31, 2022

wowwwwww that’s intriguing, Cooper! very very interesting. i feel like it does deserve a second part, some answers to those last lines and answers as to whom the dark lady appears to be. still, super cool, very suspenseful! great job!!

Reply

Cooper Armstrong
13:25 Aug 31, 2022

Thanks Wolfie. Although, I did include many hints as to what she’s hiding. Like my bio says, all my stories are connected.

Reply

TJ Squared
14:13 Aug 31, 2022

Yeah i guess so lol. truuuuu i forgot about that

Reply

Cooper Armstrong
14:35 Aug 31, 2022

So, would you like me to: A. Tell you all the hints and then let you figure it out? B. Tell you all the hints and then just reveal to you what they all mean? C. Tell you nothing and you just ask me questions to help you figure things out for yourself? Or D. Tell you nothing and you just wait for the next story? (Please don’t choose D, the others are so much more fun.)

Reply

TJ Squared
14:40 Aug 31, 2022

how about B

Reply

Cooper Armstrong
15:00 Aug 31, 2022

You sure? Ok. “She Came In The Storm” is the title. She wore a silver pinky ring. Her name is Faith. “Dark Lady” was released in 1977. She can only come in a storm. She said that her true form is “terrifying to look at”. Are you sure you want me to connect the dots for you? It’s not too late for you to try and guess. I’ve just given you all the clues in this story.

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Unknown User
04:36 Oct 29, 2022

<removed by user>

Reply

Cooper Armstrong
19:07 Oct 30, 2022

Ok Skye. I’ll miss you as will a lot of other people

Reply

Unknown User
20:03 Oct 30, 2022

<removed by user>

Reply

Cooper Armstrong
13:23 Oct 31, 2022

You too. *hugs*

Reply

Unknown User
20:31 Nov 06, 2022

<removed by user>

Reply

Cooper Armstrong
14:28 Nov 07, 2022

Ok, sorry about the hugs, I forgot. Also… YAY UR BACK!!!

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Unknown User
12:26 Sep 02, 2022

<removed by user>

Reply

Cooper Armstrong
13:40 Sep 02, 2022

Yeah it has! I’m alright. Who’s fronting rn if I may ask? Also, how are you?

Reply

Unknown User
13:53 Sep 02, 2022

<removed by user>

Reply

Cooper Armstrong
14:30 Sep 02, 2022

Lol that’s alright. Uh oh. Ok. *Yeets love at you* I’m alright. I just registered for hogwarts.io and it’s a bit overwhelming lol

Reply

Unknown User
14:34 Sep 02, 2022

<removed by user>

Reply

Cooper Armstrong
14:44 Sep 02, 2022

It’s a Harry potter role play site. It’s really cool! It’s perfect for writers.

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Unknown User
16:35 Aug 30, 2022

<removed by user>

Reply

Cooper Armstrong
01:46 Aug 31, 2022

Hey, I’m good! Which alter am I talking to, if I may ask.

Reply

Unknown User
12:18 Aug 31, 2022

<removed by user>

Reply

Cooper Armstrong
13:24 Aug 31, 2022

Cool! It’s been way too long man! How you been?

Reply

Unknown User
17:07 Aug 31, 2022

<removed by user>

Reply

Cooper Armstrong
18:29 Aug 31, 2022

More or less the same. I’m working on a few different projects right now so that’s fun

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Unknown User
18:57 Sep 06, 2022

<removed by user>

Reply

Cooper Armstrong
19:06 Sep 06, 2022

Awesome! Once you get validated, send me an Owl. You’ll know it’s me by my name.

Reply

Unknown User
19:12 Sep 06, 2022

<removed by user>

Reply

Cooper Armstrong
21:39 Sep 06, 2022

No, I didn’t use, that name. I did use Armstrong tho.

Reply

Unknown User
22:33 Sep 06, 2022

<removed by user>

Reply

Cooper Armstrong
14:11 Sep 07, 2022

Yeah, you don’t want to use your real name on there cause it’s ur character’s name. Some stuff is OOC (out of character) but a lot is IC (in character) what’s your character’s name btw?

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.