Honestly, impossible!

Submitted into Contest #9 in response to: Write a story about unrequited love.... view prompt

0 comments

Romance

Bells, feathers, ribbons, a church.


A beautiful dreamy girl walked in my direction. I could see her from the altar. Her red hair done like never before. A fair dress better than anyone she had ever worn. Due all the respect and my better judgment, she was stunning.

Cold sweat covered my hands. In my stomach, thousands of butterflies sat free in every direction, like a teenager on the first date. I had a little conversation with Leila earlier.

“Are your feet turning cold?”

"Now, it’s not the moment. Someone nailed my feet on the altar.

“Don’t worry! If something goes wrong, there’s an actor squad, who are ready to kidnap you. They are going to play as it's a demand for many and the wedding will be postponed for next week.

“Really?” I felt a brief relief. Maybe that would be for the best.

“Actually, no! They were way too expensive,” she said, hurting my hopes. “You know how expensive is to hold a wedding. The place, the invitation cards, the accommodation, the atmosphere, the exotic dancers.”

“Exotic dancers?”

“From the bachelor party."

"I don't remember that," I said.

"That was for girls' bachelor," she murmured, "but anyway. You’re getting married. The wedding is an investment for your life.”

I felt like shouting, but my voice sounded like thin ice.

“The celebrations are just vanity to be seen in front of society as a person fitted in their world. You can be happy for something, even if you don’t show that.”

“Stop whining. A person gets married with their true love once in their life,” she said. "It's a long-time investment. I can speak in your language, too."

“Until the divorce,” I murmured. Many marriages end like that. Sadly, my parents, too. For a long time I thought I didn’t deserve love until I meet the love of my life.

“If this marriage will end with a divorce cause of you,” she laughed. “I will kill you.”

Her laughs are usually uncontrollable, but this wasn't one of those. This happens when she cries tears of joy the day before. My chest lighted up. Of course, she was happy. Why shouldn't she?

She always had something to say. Always convincing me. I don’t remember one time I had won against her. Egoistic till the end. That didn’t really make her "ideal" best friend, but I don’t have any complaints. She had the ability to make people around her to felt calmer. A gift I wish I had.

I took a deep breath. The emotional charges had left before I noticed. The last word she told me made me reflect.

“If you don’t show anything to the society, they are going to start rumors and nasty things like that.”

She was my best friend. The keeper of my secrets, except the reason I see dreams in nights.

I often forget how threatening Leila is. We have known each-other since high school. Then, I met for the first time, the love of my life and my bride. Crazy times! Actually, the best time of my life was college. Sometimes I loose in my memories and remind my past self. A young man full of dreams and desires.

I used to say things like:

“Teens' love isn’t anything else, but out of curiosity and passion. If it was love, many teenagers would end up bad. Because the course of true love never did run smooth, as my friend William had said.”

Ours wasn’t just out of curiosity. I always thought it was mutual respect. Indeed, it had attraction. Then, mutual understanding.

She used to say things like, “Being honestly in love isn’t difficult.”

My memory from that time isn’t fully blocked. The day I wanted to confess happened to be on a spring afternoon, when the sun had reached his peak and the light shone on her fair skin. Much or less 3 pm, at the college's backyard.

It went like this:

“When will you stop fooling around with other girls?” she blunted.

Her rosy cheeks had a light blush, enough to make my heart pound. Even through she was a rebel. She had the most cute blushing face I had ever seen.

“I guess?” I answered with a double question. A double blade if you ask me. But that day I made my mind. “I want to tell you something.”

“Me, too!” she said. Her seriousness was that of a child. I couldn’t see her face like that.

“You go first!” I urged her to speak. She straightened her back and looked at me with opened-wide eyes.

Usually, she made that face when a scene was about to break out. Sometimes funny, sometimes edgy, sometimes heart-warming. Her speeches were to die for.

I just couldn’t miss a jealousy scene of her. It was a hobby like stamps' collecting.

“I don’t like you being around the other girls.”

That was a surprise. I know she is blunt, but it takes a lot to ask someone out. Practices in front of the mirror. She was about to confess first. No, I wanted that pleasure. She was so stunning, I couldn’t help myself, but hugging her.

“Foolishness-in-person,” I called her. “Stop worrying about things like that.”

< I am going to be yours for the rest of your life.>

“Good,” she pushed me.“So can you give a chance to my cousin, Erica?”

Shattered to pieces. All my heart.

“Erica?”

I couldn’t swallow the saliva that was formed down my throat. All this time. She wasn’t jealous. She wanted to set me up with her cousin. Aren't my feelings reaching to you, Leila? Wasn’t I that clear? I wanted to tell you that I cherished her more than a friend, but something more and more.

“This is Dave,” she presented the boy she kissed in front of our friends. They got engaged last month.

Leila! Leila!

Her name is nowhere to be found.

Sebastian and Erica.

Where are the banners of Sebastian and Leila?

From that day, Leila and Sebastian’s feelings were buried at the same time when he and Erica got married.

"Being honestly in love isn't difficult; in some cases it's just impossible to happen."

There’s only one word left to say:

Congratulations!

September 30, 2019 20:38

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.