81 comments

Romance Teens & Young Adult Sad

Authors note

—For those who dislike foul words, I have used asterisks to beep them out. Then everyone can read my stories.—

Chapter 2

As I try to wrap my head around what Sarah is saying, my heart shatters into a million tiny pieces.

“Wait so let me get this straight. Travis has a crush. Like as in someone he wants to have a relationship with?” She nods. “But he didn’t tell you who it was?” she nods again. “I wonder why he wouldn’t say, I mean he’s slept with most of the girls at school and never wanted a relationship before.” 

“Yeah pretty much. I mean, he’s even slept with the dragons.” Chloe and Lizzie, (aka the dragons) were the biggest b*****s you will ever meet. They were both the classic blonde hair, pretty blue eyes, big t*ts and even bigger attitudes. They both have the hots for Travis but he doesn’t really give a sh*t. Travis is... How do I put this nicely? Someone famous for sleeping with the dragons every second weekday. He was never looking for a relationship. That’s why it hurt so much. He finally wanted a relationship. The problem was, it was with someone else. 

My eyes begin to burn and I force myself to look away. I need to get away before the waterworks begin. I think to myself how I will make it to my car.

“What’s the time now, Sarah?” I ask, cogs whirring in my head.

“It’s almost 6:00. Why?”

“Ah shoot, Mum’s gonna kill me. I was supposed to pick up a parcel for her.” I get up and hurriedly begin packing everything into my beach bag. “See ya later Sarah,” and I raced to my car holding back the sadness until I got somewhere safe and private.

I barely have time to close the door, before tears start streaming down my face. I lay my head on the dashboard and sob. Half an hour later and I have finally managed to calm down. Raising my head I take in my surroundings. The sky is a deep orange. I can hear the waves crashing on the sand. I can taste a horrible taste on my tongue. But, most importantly I can smell cinnamon. Most importantly I can smell Travis. I am immediately transported back in time to the when I first smelled it.

***

It was 3 months ago. I was staying at Sarah’s apartment for a few days because the dorms back at school were having the hot water fixed and it was most likely going to last a week or two. It was the morning of my birthday, and I had woken up late. Again. I rushed around the apartment, changed, grabbed my stuff and rushed out the door running my timetable through my head. I couldn’t remember what I had so I kept on walking/ running. When I reached the stairwell I found Sarah. She was coming up from outside.

“Don’t you have a class to go to?” I asked.

“Never mind that. Follow me, I have a surprise waiting for you down in the carpark.” 

I followed her outside, full to the brim with scepticism –Sarah’s surprises weren’t what you would expect. When we got outside Sarah walked over to the corner of the carpark. Something was in hiding in the shadows. 

“Surprise!” she squealed. “What do you think? Do you like it?”

It was a brand spanking new Mercedes with a big red bow on top, and the best part is… It’s purple. That’s right purple. The best colour of them all. 

“Hmmm, let me have a little think about that,” I say pretending to think about it. “Umm YES! It’s the best present ever. How on earth did you manage to buy it?! I thought you were saving up to buy a car for yourself?”

“Well,” she began “It isn’t just from me.” the car started and the window rolled down. Michael and Travis were inside. 

“Oh my god,” I whisper to Sarah. “Travis bought me a car?!”

“Yeah you know, not me and Michael just Trav.” She raises her eyebrows.

“Yeah sorry just got a little excited.”

“Oi, princess. You gonna come and thank us or what? We didn’t just buy you a car because you deserve it we bought it cause we wanna ride in it.”

“Travis,” I say walking over to the car. “Did you know you are one of the most self-centred people I know?”

“Yeah, I know. Can we go for a ride now?” he begged, eyes pleading.

“You know what. Sure. Lets’ go to the beach. Let me go get my stuff and we can go.”

“No need to get your stuff, we already got it ready before you woke up.”

“Wait. So you're saying you knew I would give in to your pleading? Wow. How wonderful. I must be extremely predictable then. Michael whispered something into Travis’ ear.

“Okay, what are you saying.”

“Michael was just telling me how much you always want to know what people are whispering,” He said a smirk on his face.

“Yeah tell me, are the dragons like that? Do they whisper to you? Or do they shout and scream?”

“I have told you I never slept with them so if that’s what your hinting then cut it out now. I’m sick and tired of you guys getting on my back for something I didn’t do. Seriously. Don’t bring it up again.”

“Okay, okay. I won’t,” I say, the words dripping with sarcasm.

We chatted for a while longer and left for the beach.

Once we got there we didn’t want to leave. In the end, we just chose to stay the night in the car

At some point around midnight, Michael and Sarah fell asleep. Then it was just Travis and I sitting on the beach staring at the stars.

“Brrr,” the sound escaped from my lips without my say-so.

“You cold?” I looked over to Travis and nodded. “C’mere,” I slid over next to him and he wrapped his arms around me. It was warm and comfy by his side laying my head on his shoulder I took a deep breath in through my nose smelling cinnamon as I did so. Raising my head I looked Travis in the eyes.

"What's the matter princess?" he asked.

"Nothing," I lay my head back down and almost immediately fall fast asleep.

***

That memory still bought tears to my eyes. For a few happy hours, I was in Travis’ arms I would never, as long as I lived, forget that day. Or that smell.

October 01, 2020 07:17

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

81 comments

12:41 Oct 03, 2020

Stunning working, seriously I stuck to the story till the last. Thanks for writing this.

Reply

C.J Dunstall
21:30 Oct 04, 2020

Thanks for liking it. Really appreciate it

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
12:25 Oct 03, 2020

Wowowowowow, awesome part two! It flowed really well and I was hooked ‘till the end 😆 Great job!

Reply

C.J Dunstall
21:29 Oct 04, 2020

Thanks so much, your feedback is really important to me

Reply

C.J Dunstall
22:57 Oct 04, 2020

hey you there aerin?

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Amel Parvez
10:05 May 24, 2021

so damn sweet but sad! there will be a next part, right? do let me know.

Reply

C.J Dunstall
23:03 May 24, 2021

yeah im writing the next part atm. i just gotta find the right prompt... :)

Reply

Amel Parvez
06:36 May 25, 2021

right. i hope u find the prompt soon.

Reply

C.J Dunstall
23:00 May 25, 2021

me too.

Reply

Amel Parvez
03:53 May 26, 2021

Do tell me when u post tge next part.

Reply

C.J Dunstall
23:03 May 26, 2021

will do

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Somegenius Kid
03:08 May 17, 2021

I REALLY LOVE THIS STORY!!! P.S. THANKS FOR THE LIKES AND FOLLOW!!!😊😊😉

Reply

C.J Dunstall
03:37 May 17, 2021

thanks. your stories r sooo good i love them. ur a really talented writer

Reply

Somegenius Kid
04:39 May 17, 2021

THANKS!! ur a really awesome writer too!

Reply

C.J Dunstall
04:42 May 17, 2021

thanks

Reply

Somegenius Kid
04:43 May 17, 2021

Thank YOU!!!

Reply

C.J Dunstall
05:04 May 17, 2021

welcome

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Kristin Neubauer
20:26 Oct 01, 2020

I wish I had friend like Sarah, Michael and Travis who would buy me a car! You're creating some really interesting characters and a suspenseful plot. I like the flashback, how you've introduced the relationship between Jodi and Travis...because now I'm wondering what happened to them to break them up? And very well-written! Let me know when the next chapter is out!

Reply

C.J Dunstall
09:47 Oct 03, 2020

Thanks so much. Travis and Jodi weren't actually in a relationship, I don't know what they were quite yet. Sure thing. I'd love for you to read the next bit. Once I work out what the next bit is I mean

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
17:05 Oct 01, 2020

Nevermind I couldn't wait for school to end to read😂 This made my whole weeeekk! I was really feeling crappy but when I read this it just made me feel better which is weird..cause the main character is sad.😭 I really liked the vibe of this story and I think thats what I really liked about the first one too. Its really slow and nice..I like how your taking your time with the plot. I love the way you added the past in there, I can really sense the chemistry between Travis and Princess? Is that her name?? Or a nickname. I like how you desc...

Reply

C.J Dunstall
09:44 Oct 03, 2020

OMG this comment made me soo happy. Her name isn't princess it's Jodi. I got the inspo from my crush. He liked someone else too😢 I'm trying to make a full-on novel so there should be heaps more for you to read.

Reply

16:02 Oct 03, 2020

Yay!! Lol its okay🥺 Are you gonna publish or just keep adding it here?

Reply

C.J Dunstall
21:40 Oct 04, 2020

publish??? I think

Reply

21:46 Oct 04, 2020

Oh cool!

Reply

Show 0 replies
C.J Dunstall
21:55 Oct 04, 2020

after I add it here you guys are my editors JK

Reply

18:40 Oct 11, 2020

Sorryyy I did not see this! And I'd totally be an editor for ya even though you were joking Oh and I wrote a new story so if you want can you check it out! And Upvote spree for upvote spree???

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
13:41 Jun 29, 2021

Hiiiiiiiiiiiiiiyloooo

Reply

Show 0 replies
Mila Van Niekerk
04:50 Feb 11, 2021

PS: thanks for the noodles!

Reply

C.J Dunstall
22:24 Feb 11, 2021

Welcome *^-^* I love noodles. They r soo yummy

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Mila Van Niekerk
04:49 Feb 11, 2021

I love this story so much! I'm far from proffesional, but I think there are a few grammar mistakes in your story. Just sometimes you forgot a comma where it felt like there should be one, and you forgot to close the qoutation marks at one point. In the first half of the story, when the mc was describing the dragons, it felt half aggressive, and I liked it cuz it told me a bit about the mc herself. Great writing! Keep it up; I'd love to read more of you stories! -Weeb Writer PS: My zodiac is also Leo!

Reply

C.J Dunstall
22:23 Feb 11, 2021

Hey thanks, I did try put all the grammar in the right spots,. I even used grammaarly! I personally feel like I've missed some too but I didn't want to add them in case they were wrong. The mc is based off myself and is an absolute hater to people like the dragons. I mean... They got to sleep with Travis. Or did they... I like keeping it interesting. Once I finish the next chapter do u mind having a little read? I'd love to hear your opinion. -CJ PS: I'm a Sagitarius!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Loved it till the end!!! Great work:)

Reply

Show 0 replies

YUM your bio! I really like your stories, OFC I will not unfollow you!

Reply

C.J Dunstall
03:24 Jan 04, 2021

Hey! Thanks I wanted to leave a little reward for those who read all of my bio

Reply

C.J Dunstall
04:32 Jan 04, 2021

I thought u were saying yum to the bottom of my bio

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
C.J Dunstall
04:38 Jan 04, 2021

I thought u were saying yum to the bottom of my bio.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
02:42 Oct 27, 2020

Hey!!!

Reply

C.J Dunstall
23:07 Oct 27, 2020

Hey how you going? sorry i haven't had my laptopfor a while. it's getting fixed. just borrowing heaths for the moment. Hows life treatin ya?

Reply

00:39 Oct 28, 2020

Ohh I am doing fine! And its okay! Lifes keeping me busy I gueessss how about you??

Reply

C.J Dunstall
22:19 Oct 28, 2020

thats good. I'm good keeping busy atm. when I can

Reply

02:34 Oct 29, 2020

Oh sorry I didn't see this. Oh are you purposely keeping yourself busy???

Reply

C.J Dunstall
11:05 Oct 30, 2020

I dunno just try a distract myself from some of the things people at school say. Teenagers can really hurt your feelings sometimes😭

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Kate Reynolds
13:28 Jan 27, 2021

Omg this was so sweetttttttttt I LOVED IT!!!!!!!!!!!! Are you gonna write a part 3 anytime soon? *hopeful face*

Reply

C.J Dunstall
23:16 Jan 27, 2021

thanks :D im writing it atm just waiting for some inspo and a fitting prompt

Reply

Kate Reynolds
23:25 Jan 27, 2021

Np!!! Yayyyy!!! Can't wait! (Could you tell me when you post it??)

Reply

C.J Dunstall
22:13 Jan 28, 2021

Yeah!!! of course i can tell you :D. when I do do u mind giving me a bit of feed back?

Reply

Kate Reynolds
22:21 Jan 28, 2021

Yay!!! Always!!! :D

Reply

C.J Dunstall
22:51 Jan 28, 2021

Thanks!!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
C.J Dunstall
23:17 Jan 27, 2021

thanks :D im writing it atm just waiting for some inspo and a fitting prompt

Reply

Show 0 replies
C.J Dunstall
23:17 Jan 27, 2021

thanks :D im writing it atm just waiting for some inspo and a fitting prompt

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 11 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.