a day in the life of a heatwave

Submitted into Contest #53 in response to: Write a story about another day in a heatwave. ... view prompt

0 comments

General

Both sides of the road shimmered like a water color dreamscape, painted with the rays of the dizzying sunlight. They heard that this was the quickest way to get to where they were going. But time felt like a commercial with its run time padded to make a feature length film out of it. Their A.C. smelt like burnt plastic and the breath of the exhausted air coming out of it, as well as the, warm wind from the rolled down windows, did very little to elevate their situation.

Jeremy's throat was like crispy bacon, he had gone without water, long enough for him to wish that he was at sea, and could drink his own piss and no one would be the wiser. The two in the back seat were fast asleep, at least that is what he hoped. If they had died of heat exhaustion he would have a lot of explaining to do and no charisma to help him out of that situation. His companion, Jill, was in shoot gun, sweating enough, to look like a slowly melting wax statue, with an unnatural shine to her.

There had been an endless heatwave in this area. The mirage like corn fields looked like a box of matches, waiting for a reason to play the Savanahs' greatest hits, broadening everyone's experience of economic hardship. The dust clouds trailed the car, as if the speed they were going at was not enough to exclaim to the world, that they were going over the speed limit.

Jeremy wished that the heat birthed illusion of a gas station, with the possibility of water, that they had just passed awhile back, was the real deal. “Fuck” Jeremy said out load with frustration and relief, when he realized that it was “the real deal.” he spun the car around, startling everyone in the car, waking everyone up, who were thankfully alive and just sleeping. Jack, senseless from heat stroke opened the door as they were turning around, fell out, luckily unscathed, and started to vomit.

When they had abruptly stopped, Jill got out of the car, she helped Jack back up on his feet and guided him back into the car. Doing little about the vomit; nobody cared, they were too relieved or confused, about their current situation. Jeremy explained what little there was to explain and everyone came around, thinking that things were not looking too shabby.

Once they finally got there, Jeremy pulled up to the pumps, and they all got out. “alright your in charge of fulling up.” Jeremy said to Kevin. “Jack, you're a mess, deal with it”. “Jill, you’re with me.” Jeremy spoke to the rest of them like he was the one who was in-charge or something. I guess he was as everyone did as asked, with, little question. Jack did grumble about it but mainly to himself.

As Jeremy and Jill walked up to the convenience stores’ doors, Jeremy noticed the pop machine, and the damage caused to it. It looked like someone really wanted to get the pop out of it, but had no idea of how the whole transaction worked. Jeremy was hoping that it was not anything ominous or something like that. He was superstitious at the drop of a hat and his connections made little sense to anyone but himself.

They opened the door. The lack of a climate change, was discouraging and any chance of cooling off from the heat, was a no go. It just got better and better as they went to the usual places you would go if you were looking for something cool and refreshing. It was a well known short cut and had a healthy sized farming community to keep it in business, so it was not to shocking.

Jill and Jeremy looked around the convenience store. The clerk as yet had not been seen Jack come in. He had taken care of his vomit covered shirt by taking it off and throwing it in the trash. He was followed in by Kevin, who went up to the cash register to wait for the clerk.

Unbeknownst to all but Kevin, who was amused at the entire situation, Jack had decided that no shirt was as good as any shirt, he also decided that opening one of the empty cold storage areas where the cold beverages were for sale would be the perfect way to get cool after a long ride. The whole novelty of the situation was not really as interesting as Kevin had initially thought and he started trying on the sunglasses from the stand next to him.

Our little group of friends were too engrossed in their own affairs and had failed to see to see the clerk emerging from the back of the store. His eyes focused on Jack. He had a strange look in his eyes as if he was unsure of what to think of the situation. Nobody had noticed him until he had fully grasped the situation. He spoke, startling all but Jack.

“Oh my God.” he said as he took of his own shirt off while moving his lanky body over the counter. I have been wanting to do that all fucking day.” and he moved next to Jack and opened up the door next to that one.

Kevin was right on the clerks tail, forgetting about the ladies glasses he was still wearing over his eyes. He was big on unisex things. He came from a weirdly, “progressive.” family. Jeremy and Jill did not know what to make out of this strangely bizarre situation that they found themselves in. As crazy as it sounds, Jack was not a one of a kind entity from outer space, like he seemed to be.

Finally the estranged couple joined the clerk and the rest of their friends, enjoying the cool air, in honor of the clerks potential firing.

Jack looked around, at his friends, then at the clerk and said “and they think I'm crazy eh.”

The clerk replied “they don't pay me enough to die of heat stroke.”

“I already did that.” Jack smiled “I blew chunks”

August 07, 2020 15:22

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.