28 comments

Fiction Friendship

Troy had planted me on his fifth birthday, a gift from his parents. He came to live in this garden house, with his parents many summers ago. I grew up along with him. He nurtured me with love and care, with smiles and kisses, with lullabies and poems , very soon I grew into tall huge fig tree, with massive branches spreading far and wide.

Troy and I were soul brothers, He would  talk to me, play with me, and would even share his secrets with me.

In college, he fell in love with a pretty girl named Sera. He brought her over to meet me, saying, though I looked  bigger, I was his little brother, that was a proud moment for me.

Sera would often visit him, and they would sit for hours in the garden hugging, kissing, and whispering in each other's ears. They made a lovely pair and looked so happy and content.

However, their happiness did not last long, tragedy soon struck them. On his way to college Troy met with an accident, and was killed instantly. Troy's parents never recovered from this shock. Their life was empty and barren without their only son.

The heartbroken parents decided to move away from this place, as everything here reminded them of Troy. Especially me.

Before they moved, Sera came over to wish them goodbye.

I couldn't stop my tears when I saw them hugging each other and crying over their loss. That was the first time I wept. Troy would always have a special place in my heart.

The next family to move in was a young couple, Jacob and Nancy, along with their golden retriever 'Romeo', he came in as a small pup, and within months grew into a huge golden ball of fur. He practically lived on my lower branches, and would be running around, barking at everything that moved, chasing the squirrels and birds, once he nearly fractured his hind limbs, jumping off my branches

I formed a strong bond with Romeo. I had a feeling he knew I was watching him, and always wagged his tail when he came towards me. Romeo was constantly hungry, though Nancy was a good mother to him, always feeding him, but Romeo was never satiated.


Nancy and Jacob were childless and were desperately trying to have a baby, but nothing seemed to work for them, ultimately they gave up. One fine day Jacob left home never to return, he had found a new love, and wanted a divorce. Nancy was devastated, as if her world came to an end. With Jacob gone from her life, she had nothing to look forward to.

She would sit for hours beside me, and cry her eyes out, Romeo too lost all his zest, and would wander all day round looking sad and lonely.


A few days later, Nancy's parents came over, they were sad to see their daughter's condition, they returned home taking Nancy and Romeo along with them. I was sad to see them go, but happy for Nancy, as she wouldn't be alone anymore.

For many days the place was vacant, and I was desperate for another human company.

Mrs Darcy was the next occupant of the place. She lived alone with lots of books for company. She placed a huge armchair below my branches and would sit there reading her favourite books.

I felt sorry for her, she was in her late seventies, and lived alone. No relatives or friends came to visit her nor did she leave the place. Every Sunday, a Pastor from the local church would come to visit her as she was unable to attend the church services, they would sit under my cool shade and chat for hours, discussing God and the Bible.

Mrs Darcy had fixed schedules for everything. She would wake up at sunrise and go to bed at sunset.

In the evening when sun was less harsh, she would come out with her books, and sit on her armchair, enjoying the gentle breeze reading her favourite novels.


One Friday evening, a year after she had moved in, I failed to see Mrs Darcy in her favourite armchair, reading her book. I thought, she might be busy, and didn't  think anything was wrong. Throughout Saturday there was no sign of her, and I began to worry.

Sunday morning the Pastor came to visit her, but Mrs Darcy didn't answer the door. Worried he called the local sheriff, who came and broke open the door .They found her in her bed; it seemed she had died in her sleep.

After Mrs Darcy, for many years no one came to live in the house. I longed for some company, of course there were birds and animals around me, but I needed some human contact.


One morning I saw a huge truck followed by a family car enter the premises.Two young boys jumped from the truck, they were bouncy young teenagers, and very agile.

They ran around the house, climbed all over me, often hanging from my branches .

Their parents were in their fifties, a sweet gentle couple very much in love.

The boys were Drew and Dan, who were studying in college, Dan was the younger one; he reminded me of Troy, my soul brother.

The family settled in and were indeed a sight for sore eyes, The brothers were very much in tandem. I rarely saw them quarreling, both were very respectful towards their parents, but naughty to the core. Dan built a tree house on my branches, and practically lived there. I too enjoyed his company and also the music which would be blaring from his speakers.

It seemed this family was here to stay. The boys soon went away to attend their respective universities, occasionally visiting their parents, after graduation they found a job and settled in the city.

Years passed, Drew and Dan married and had children of their own. They loved to visit their grandparents during vacations. The kids would be playing in the tree house, swinging  from my branches or just resting in my shade. I was happy to see the kids and enjoyed their company.


Dan lost his wife after a few years of marriage, he and his sons moved back in with his parents.

The grandparents enjoyed having the grand kids around .The house was noisy and lively again, filled with aromas of happiness and joy.

A few years later, Dan's parents both died, but Dan continued to live here. His sons left home for greener pastures, and never returned.

Dan is in his eighties now. I know he misses his children, but they are so busy they don't have time to visit him.

Today, I am celebrating my 75th birthday with my companion and soul brother Dan.

So many seasons have passed, and I was testimony to so many beautiful lives which passed on under my shadow. The lives which touched me in one way or another, and I pray for their happiness wherever they are. I'm sure I would be meeting many more wonderful people, for years to come....



April 20, 2021 19:53

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

28 comments

Arwen Dove
02:00 Apr 28, 2021

Great story with great ideas! Love it!

Reply

Asha Pillay
15:26 Apr 29, 2021

Thanks dear.

Reply

Arwen Dove
23:42 Apr 29, 2021

:)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
April Arian
15:39 Apr 27, 2021

lovely story and so refreshing a tree speaking ,I loved this idea and very well written compact and nice.

Reply

Asha Pillay
15:57 Apr 27, 2021

Thanks for your kind comments April.Here I have to thank my friend and fellow writer , 'Philip Clayberg ' who helps me to edit my stories and gives his valuable advice. He's an amazing writer and has written some beautiful stories on this site.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Shirley Medhurst
12:01 Apr 27, 2021

Great story. I love the passage of time here. One point confused me though - Shouldn’t the tree be older than Dan (as it was already fully grown when Dan was a child)? My story is also from the POV of a tree although very different to yours. I’d be keen to hear your thoughts on it if you have time...

Reply

Asha Pillay
15:52 Apr 27, 2021

Thank you Shirley for reading my story and liking it To clear your doubts now. If you have read the story, you must have read that, when Dan came to live in the new house he was already a teenager and in college so he must have been around 18 or 19 years old a few years older than the tree.I hope your satisfied by my answer.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Asha Pillay
15:53 Apr 27, 2021

I will definitely read your story and leave a comment.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies
Lilia May
09:13 Apr 27, 2021

I love the fact that this story is narrated from the tree's point of view, what an unusual perspective!

Reply

Asha Pillay
10:46 Apr 27, 2021

Thank you Lilia for your kind comments.Im happy you liked my story.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Nadig Rangaswamy
03:33 Apr 24, 2021

Beautiful story narrated in such a manner, the reader wouldn't miss s sentence. Hat's off your style of writing Asha. With kind regards

Reply

Asha Pillay
21:10 Apr 25, 2021

Thanks dear

Reply

Show 0 replies
Asha Pillay
21:10 Apr 25, 2021

Thanks dear

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies
Serenity Foryu
18:16 Apr 23, 2021

Your stories are very engrossing and keeps us hooked till the end.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Vadali Srinivas
02:01 Apr 23, 2021

Wow very nice story 👍👍

Reply

Show 0 replies
Anita Singh
05:58 Apr 22, 2021

Very nice story

Reply

Show 0 replies
Anita Singh
05:58 Apr 22, 2021

Very nice story

Reply

Show 0 replies
Anita Singh
05:57 Apr 22, 2021

Very nice story

Reply

Show 0 replies
Anita Singh
05:57 Apr 22, 2021

Very nice story

Reply

Show 0 replies
Kajal Maity
05:30 Apr 22, 2021

Beautiful story ma'am 😍❣️

Reply

Asha Pillay
12:13 Apr 22, 2021

Thanks kajal

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Dr Sambandam Sky
05:18 Apr 22, 2021

Wow..nice story ..naration is excellent..keep it up...👍

Reply

Show 0 replies
01:08 Apr 22, 2021

Yes some people see many generations and that is life

Reply

Show 0 replies
V S
19:00 Apr 21, 2021

Nice Story 👌👍

Reply

Show 0 replies
Angel {Readsy}
07:10 Apr 30, 2021

I pray for their happiness wherever they are. I'm sure I would be meeting many more wonderful people, for years to come; yeah sure I pray the same for you happy endings is always fascinating [4/28, 1:09 PM] (◕‿◕✿)(✿◠‿◠)o (^‿^✿)(◑‿◐✿)(◡‿◡✿)(-‿◦☀)(*‿*✿)(❀◦‿◦: ☆(❁‿❁)☆(✿◕ ‿◕ฺ)ノ))。₀: *゜,、’`<(❛ヮ❛✿)>,、’`’`,、٩(✿∂‿∂✿)۶ ★~(◡﹏⊙✿)★~(◠‿◕✿)★~(◠△◕✿)★~(◠﹏⊙✿)˚✧₊⁎❝᷀ົཽ≀ˍ̮ ❝᷀ົཽ⁎⁺˳✧༚*+:꒰◍•ᴗ•◍꒱:+*╰(✿´⌣`✿)╯♡ (。・‧̫・。).**♡(✿◕ ‿◕ฺ)ノ))。₀: *゜❀.(*´◡`*)❀.°˖✧◝(⁰▿⁰)◜✧˖°

Reply

Asha Pillay
08:30 Apr 30, 2021

Thanks dear .I too pray the same for you

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Anita Singh
05:58 Apr 22, 2021

Very nice story

Reply

Asha Pillay
12:14 Apr 22, 2021

Thanks Anita

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.