Mole's journey

Submitted into Contest #41 in response to: Write about an animal who goes on a journey.... view prompt

0 comments

Kids

Once upon a time there was a mole that lived on the edge of the forest not to far from a village, one day one of the villagers was smoking his pipe and needed to dispose of the ashes so his old lady wouldn’t catch him. So, he went far from his home near the forest, but not to far from home. He found a near by hole and not thinking twice as he dumped his ashes, not knowing that the only one watching him was a little bird. Down underground the mole was comfortable in his bed asleep, then as he drew breath he awoke to the smell of fire. He rushed out the back of his underground hole as quick as he could.

           He looked around to see what caused the fire. He saw a pile of ashes and footprints leading towards the human village. He then had a good idea of to journey off to go find a new home. He walked, and walked, and walked finally he came across a nearby tree house with a mother mouse with her newborn. She looked over to the mole curiously.

“What brings you out here Mr. Mole?” asked momma mouse.

           “What a lovely home you have mother mouse. My home caught on fire, thus I had to leave.”

           “Oh, I’m so sorry my good sir would you like to stay for dinner?”

           “Thank you, but no I should be on my marry way.”

           “Ok, see you around Mr. Mole.”

           Then he bowed and left mother mouse and her newborn, to go deeper into the forest, not noticing a blue blur went passed him towards Momma mouse. After walking for a while, he came across a nearby lake. In the lake was a lily pad and near that was an old hallowed out log where two different species lived. One being amphibian and the other is reptilian. Frog was on his lily pad, and turtle was snacking on fruit he found earlier that day, the mole stopped wide eyed.

           “So, what brings ya out here Mr. Mole?” asked Turtle.  

           “Wow, Frog, Turtle your home is very nice I wish I could find a home like yours.”

           “Why thank you so kindly, Mr. Mole.” Said the Frog.

“It’s the best place in the swamp. But I’m sure you’ll find something like our lovely log.” Said Turtle.

“But I am not sure if I will, your log is so sturdy, safer, well hidden from humans. Maybe I should invest in a log like yours.” Said the Mole.

           “Would ya’ll like ta stay for dinner?” asked Frog.

           “We’re having one of Frog’s specialty’s lakefly casserole.” Said Turtle.

“Don’t mean to be rude, but I need to get back on my journey to find my dream home.”

“Well ok, I hope ya’ll drop by again.” Said Frog.

           “Yeah it was nice talkin’ ta ya Mr. Mole.” Said Turtle.

Then he bowed and left Frog, and Turtle, as that same blur came passed Mole. He looked back and saw nothing, but he felt a force of wind came passed him. But he did not think nothing of it and kept on walking. Then he meets up with a Fox, Badger, Weasel, and Shrew. They lived in the deepest parts of the woods, not to far from the lake. Fox lived in the den under a big oak tree, the Shrew lived in the tree by herself, Weasel lived next door underground, and Badger lived in the middle of everyone in an old log.

The Mole was so impressed by their homes.

           “Oh, wow your homes are genuinely nice I wish I can find a home like you guys.” Said Mole.

           “So, what bring you Mr. Mole?” asked Fox.

           “Yeah, normally you’re hanging out near the forest edge.” Said Badger.

           “Yeah, you’re far from home you are.” Said Shrew.

           “Oh, yes I’m looking for a new home to live in.” said the Mole.

           “Why, I thought your home was the best place in the world? Unless something happened to it.” Asked the Weasel.

“Oh, well look at the time. I should be leaving.” Said Mole.

           “Why? You just got here, and you didn’t explain anything about why you’re here.” Said Fox.

“Yeah, we need to know why you left your home.” Said Weasel.

           “Come on hon, don’t be shy tell us what happened.” Said Shrew.

“I’m sorry I don’t mean to be rude, but I really have to leave, please excuse me.” Said Mole.

He then bowed and ran off feeling guilty. He then felt the same gust of wind, that he felt before, though this time he could have sworn that he saw something this time. But he just kept on walking. He than came across an old tree, a cave, and a den on the other side the cave. On the tree was a rough looking Racoon, then a Bear came out of the cave, and the Wolf fallowed after.

           “Oh, Hello Mr. Mole what are you doing here?” asked Wolf.

           “Yeah, aren’t you far from home?” asked Bear.

           “Yeah, I was looking for a new home.” Said Mole.

           “But why?” asked Racoon.

Just then a small blue bird plopped down on the ground near Mole.

           “Mr. Mole please tell them what’s wrong, we’re worried about you. We just want to help you.” Said the little blue Bird.

           “I just don’t want them in trouble.”

           “Them?! Who’s them?!” asked Wolf.

           “You don’t think they’re human?” asked Bear.

“Well, humans are nothing but trouble.” Said Raccoon.

           “Not all humans are bad, in fact the other day I saw a young girl trying to get her village to stop smoking near the forest.” Said the bird.

           “Hey, Bird can you go get that little girl, and get her to come to the forest, we are going to have a meeting.” Said Wolf

           “Are you sure Wolf, should we trust this human?” Asked Raccoon.

           “I think Wolf has a point Raccoon. What if we can get her to be on our side.” Said Bear.

           “Yeah, but what if she turns on us?” Asked Raccoon.

           “Hmm, Mr. Mole can you go with bird and convince the little girl to help us.” Said Wolf.

“Well, we are kind of small how are we going to convince her?” asked Mole.

           “Well, I can’t go and convince her I’m a Raccoon, and they are convinced we have rabies.” Said Raccoon.

           “Well me and Wolf are more intimidating to people.” Said Bear.

           “Well, ok if I must.”

           Then he bowed, hoped on blue bird, and flew to the village. After flying for a while, they found a girl that bird knew as the one that is trying to save the forest. They flew near the girl, as the girl was reading a book while sitting under a tree. They had to think of something to get her attention. Then Mole had an idea.

           “Hey, Miss. Human. If I may I am Mole, and this is Bird and we’re here for an important reason!” said the Mole.

           Then the girl looked down from her book and saw Mole and blue Bird. She jumped with surprise.

           “Ah! Oh, a mole and a bird. What brings you here?” asked the girl.

           “If you would please come with us Miss. See we were told that you were the one who can save the forest.” Said Bird

           “How can I, I’m small little girl.” Said the girl.

           “You can make a difference; I believe you can make a difference.” Said Mole.

“Please come with us miss.” Said the bird.

           “Ok, show me the way.” Said the girl.

           Then they left towards the forest. While they got to the woods, everyone that Mole meet came to the meeting. The one started the meeting was Wolf.

           “Thank you one and all, for coming to this meeting. First off, we need to address this serous topic of wildfires. It seems that this one human started a fire, I do not know if it was intentional or what. But if it was, we need to be careful of these humans.”

           Then the Wolf looked up and saw the human girl.

           “But we should not all humans are bad, there are a select few that could help us. This girl might have something that could help us. Hon, can you come up please.” Asked Wolf

Then the girl came up to the Wolf and stopped two feet near the Wolf.

           “Good, good now girl you think that if people would stop throwing ashes into the woods, you think it stop the forest fires?” said Wolf.

           “Maybe, though in theory if we can make bins it would be better for people to throw their pipe ashes into.” Said the girl.

           “Hmm, small bins wouldn’t they melt?” ask Wolf.

           “Yes, if they were plastic. But what if they were metal.” Asked the girl.

           “Is it ecofriendly?! What about the safety level of the children?!” squeaked momma mouse.

           “Well, I think so.” Said the girl.

           “How would it help us?” asked Frog.

           “Well, it could help the environment by dealing with the ashes for starters.” Said the girl.

           “Well can all agree to just give it a try!” said Turtle.

           “Yeah!” said everyone.

           Then the girl got on the Wolf and road into town, Mole, bird, and Raccoon road on Bear. They got to the center of town, where everyone ran in panic.

“Oh, it’s ok human I won’t hurt you.”

But all they heard from bear was growls. They flew into the shops and house; it did not matter if it is their house or at their neighbors’ houses. Then the girl got up the courage and spoke about the situations.

           “We have a huge problem!”

Then everyone stopped and listened.

           “We need to make a container to contain the ashes that people dump!”

The people looked shocked.

“Why should we care about the forest burning to the ground!” said a villager.

           Then the Wolf howled, and the Bear Growled in anger.

           “Ok, lets do it.” Said the same villager.

Then everyone cheered.

“Yay!”

“See, you can make a difference if you believe in yourself.” Said Mole.

           Then after that Bird and the little girl had a surprise for Mole. They found Mole his dream home.

           “Welcome home Mr. Mole!” said everyone.

           The Mole’s face lit up with excitement.

           “Oh, what a beautiful home! I love it!” exclaimed Mole.

 But then Wolf smelt something coming from the edge of the forest. It was burning wood. She howled with anger.

           “Why can’t they see there’s a container for the Ashes! Ok, new plain. I do not want to do this, but we should bite them. Raccoon!” exclaimed Wolf.

           “Finally, my time to shine.” Said Raccoon.

           “Wait, what about if we scare them.” Asked the girl.

“Aw!” said Raccoon.

“Go on.” Said Wolf.

“Well what if hypothetically if Sasquatch was real.” Said girl.

           “Sasquatch?! What’s that?!” asked Mole nervously.

           “A huge humanoid monster.” Said girl.

Then they looked at Bear and girl. They dressed them up with dirt, mud, and moss. And they waited near the edge of the forest to wait for the villager that keeps littering their ashes. Then from a near by farm came the villager with their pipe came near the forest. He did not notice Bear and girl as he sat near the container, but instead of using it he dumped his ashes on the ground.

           Then Bear and girl got mad and ran up towards the villager and scared him off, and he was never seen again.

May 15, 2020 16:16

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.