Princess For A Day (Forbidden Land of Aldoria #2]

Written in response to: Write about a character whose dreams are portals to other worlds.... view prompt

3 comments

Adventure

Zoey’s Note: Hey guys! If you haven’t already, make sure to read Part 1, The Book Freak (link is in the comments). As always make sure to leave helpful feedback:) I love you all!

    My eyes shift from side to side around this new world, unsure of what to look at first. The purple sky, the black grass, or the dead trees? Everything seems too unrealistic to be nonfiction, but it’s definitely real; I’ve already asked the elder woman in front of me if she could pinch me about ten times now; I still haven’t woken up. 

    Awesome, the hot voice in my mind beams, I’m actually trapped within the pages of a book!

     I contemplate all the horrible things that could happen to me in this mysterious fantasy world.

     Oh crap, I’m actually trapped within the pages of a book! 

     Honestly, I should be so familiar with plot holes by now that this shouldn’t have been a surprise. Mother did say I read too much. 

    I know I should be happy -to be fair I have always wanted to become the heroine in the world of paper and ink- but instead, I am terrified. What if I mess everything up? What if this is all in my head? What if the queen finds me and becomes suspicious of me being the all mighty savior to Nova? Would she kill me? How fast? What if I die here? No, I don’t want to! 

     My overthinking controls my thoughts so much that I can barely hear the voice of the hooded old lady standing beside me. It’s so foggy I can barely make out her eyes beneath her thin glass lenses. My weight shifts from my left leg to my right leg. 

      “Dear?” the woman asks, “are you alright? You seem troubled.”

      “Oh, yeah, I’m just fine,” I ramble, shaking, “why wouldn’t I be fine? I’m finer than wine. Peachy. I’m just peachy.”

      “Are you sure?” the lady asks, raising a brow, “you don’t seem peachy.”

      “Yeah,” I lie, both to her and myself, “I’m okay, I promise.”

      The lady purses her lips as if she were trying to read me like the stupid library book that just ate me.

    “You know, I can tell when someone is lying,” she smirks, “and you most definitely are.”

      I chuckle nervously. Of course she can tell when I’m lying. This is a fantasy world, for crying out loud!

      “Would you care for a glass of tea?” she asks generously. “If you’d like, I could open up my lovely home to you for a while, sweetheart. Unless you wish to stay in the forest, of course.”

      I shudder at the thought of staying in the forest, vulnerable to whatever sort of monsters live within. I would much rather be killed by a generous old woman’s hospitality than be eaten alive by some horrifying creature in the middle of a forest that shouldn’t exist. The very idea causes fear to pulse through my veins.

      “Yeah, count me in,” I mutter uncomfortably.

      She smiles.

     “Alright then, dearie,” she grins, “just follow my lead.”

      Maybe I will live another day! The woman begins to walk, her feet knowledgeable as to where they are going. My feet are slow and unknowing. 

      I know that I must watch my step carefully to avoid attracting something hungry for blood, like the Big Bad Wolf. They could kill me within a number of seconds, and I really don’t feel like dying today. I do not intend to die in front of a sweet little old lady.

     We travel far and wide through trees and rows of cute little town cottages, hopping over sticks, stones, and oddly shaped “natural” objects that don’t exist in our world. Then again, is anything truly what it seems here? I think I just spotted a small dog breathing fire!

      Finally we arrive at our unexpected destination. It has a very dark and unforgiving aesthetic. It’s sad to know that this place had once been a bit more bright and playful; the charcoal-black bricks had once been a gentle cream color, and the chaotic statues of goblins and dragons may have once seemed more victorious; as if they had once resisted the attacks of the enemy fire before the end of a bloody battle, then proceeded to win the war. This building is none other than the queen’s castle.

     What are we doing at such a gruesomely adapted, yet beautiful building? I guess I’ll find out soon enough. I’m speechless seeing such a great and enviable structure, but I know I have to say something.

      “D-do you work here?” I managed to splutter.

      The old woman cackles, making me wince. Have I ever told you how much I hate obnoxious laughter? You know, the laughter that forever rings in your mind like a Grubhub commercial. I hide my hatred, however, with a smile.

      “Oh, I do much more than work here, Alexandra,” she says mischievously.

      “Alex,” I correct her, gritting my teeth… wait, how does she know my name?

      “Yes, I know exactly who you are, Alex,” she smiles, “and why that enchantress wants you here. Oh, do not trust her, by the way. She’s extremely problematic. Yes, I know lots of things! I’ve practiced witchcraft since I was sixteen, you know.”

      Oh my gosh. I remember her from the story.

      “Wait a minute,” I start, “are you-“ 

     “Queen Corvina?” she yields a dark, long wooden staff from within her cape. She thrusts it into the rocky ground, and her body illuminates until a different, much more beautiful, feminine figure appears in her place, “the one and only!”

    Stunned, I stare with wide eyes at the new rebelliously perfect woman. She has fair, soft porcelain skin without a mark or bruise of any sort, other than a small mole on her chin. Her lashes are long, black, and luxurious and her eyes are glamorously dark and brown. She has the perfect layer of winged, inky black eyeliner over a smokey eyeshadow look, and her red lips fold into a smirk. Her rosy cheeks are the color of a sunset. She wears a crown of black, which is tucked into the very start of her silky, hip-length dark hair. Her hourglass figure is covered with her tight, black, satin dress that reaches her ankles and her tall, Chanel-looking black heels express all the power she holds. She’s beautiful.

    She seems to notice the awe all over my face after that sudden, two-second amelioration. 

     “Much better, right?” she breathes. Her voice is very smooth and rich, like a slab of Belgian chocolate. “This is my favorite appearance to show off to others. It was the one I was born with! The other one made me feel much too old and pruny!”

     I want to say something -anything- about how incredible that was, but instead a weird gurgling noise escapes my lips. She chortles. Okay, okay I know she’s evil and everything, but I’ve never met a queen before! 

    “Oh child, don’t be embarrassed,” she chuckles, “this always happens when a human from your world finds themselves here. Of course, I later had to have each of them painfully executed once they tried to wake that little priss of a princess-“

     “What?” I shriek.

     “Oh, nothing dear,” she cackles, “I’m only playing! Just don’t get into any trouble while you’re here and you’ll be living a life of luxury and power. Can you do that?”

     She looks at me hopefully. I like this woman a lot, but she’s definitely up to something where my life could be on the line. I’ve read enough stories to know survival and how to play smart. I know exactly what I have to do to save the kingdom. If I still want to, of course. 

       “I’m in,” I sigh finally.

       “Follow my lead, princess,” she flashes, “You’ve got a whole kingdom waiting for you!”

                                                           §§§§§§

    I changed my mind. Life at the palace is great! I gawk out the open window of my new room like I’d just seen something I shouldn’t. At home, I’m an outcast! Here, I’m basically the offspring of the coolest, most feared queen in history! If Ivy saw me right now, she’d be quaking in cowardice, apologizing for every wrong thing she’d ever done to me. I smirk. Oh how I’d love to watch Ivy quake. 

     Polly Pocket-sized cabins and tiny cottages stare up at me, as if they were bowing down to me like their king. I kind of like the feeling, though it’s not familiar to me whatsoever. This is all just so very… odd. 

      The sky is still purple, and the fields of ash-colored grass show no sign of green. The figures of the skeletal people living here have nearly faded away. It seems that the only bright-colored thing left in Aldoria is me, with my strawberry blonde hair and yellow dress (provided by Corvina), and this room that the queen leant me. The cottages are cute for as drab and dull as they may be.

      “Alex,” the voice of the queen’s butler echos to greet me, “pleased to see you again. Would you care to join the queen for dinner in the dining room?”

      “Mmm, yes please, I’m starving,” I enunciate.

      “Follow me then, m’lady,” he says professionally, “right, down this way.”

       I follow him through rows of red velvet staircases and picture portraits, every one of them being of the queen. I shudder: so many pairs of the same brown eyes lurking into my very soul! And in the dark? Seriously? Every room is so dark and depressing at this time of the night! Not that I don’t love this place, I just wish that everything could be less intimidating.

       Once the butler turns to the left ever so calmly, my eyes spot a flicker of light sparking in another room before my eyes. Finally, a room with a little light around here! 

       I spot the queen sitting at the longest wooden table that I’ve ever seen, flames on waxy figures at every two seats. Ooo, candlelight dinner! How simply luxurious!

      I take a seat in a seat across from the queen, brushing my hair back to match her unimaginable beauty. It doesn’t work, but it was worth a try.

     I look down to see a shiny silver platter filled with food with an extravagant fragrance: roses and melting chocolate. I take another whiff before biting into the salad sitting in front of me. A tall silver goblet full of a strange, almost seductive red liquid stands untouched in front of me. I reach for it to take a sip before stopping suddenly.

     “Wait a minute,” I falter, “is this-“

     “Wine or blood,” the queen chimes in, “you decide! Drink up!”

     I stare horrified at the goblet of red liquid, unsure of whether I should be uncourteous and chuck it onto the floor or politely decline. I’m fifteen so I can’t drink wine, and I don’t really feel like I should be drinking a goblet of literal blood. Either choice would have consequences. I can’t just be mean, though-

     Corvina cackles, interrupting my thoughts.

     “I’m only kidding, love,” she chuckles, “I already know how much of a buzzkill you are. It’s only tea, hun! Aldoria’s very finest.”

     I sigh in relief, taking a small, refreshing sip from the goblet. I’ve never tasted anything quite like this before, but it’s incredible! It has a lot of flavor for tea, tasting like French music if it was edible. It’s very sweet, but it’s got a thick tang in it just before the sweet comes in. I drink half of it before I can even set it down. Dang. I wish we had this on Earth.

     The queen, her servants, and I have many great conversations, bringing us from emotion to emotion. First humor, then fear, and next despair. We are joyful, then tearful, then laughing all over again. I think back to my life at home and realize that I could never have all this over there. My parents don’t know I exist, and everyone at school hates me. Would I really have to go back over there if I saved the princess?

      “I really like it here,” I admit truthfully, “a lot.”

      The queen’s shiny red lips curl up in a glamorous smile. 

      “I knew you would, Al,” she smirks, pleased.

       I stare down at my empty plate of silver. That was possibly the best meal I’ve ever eaten, but now I do not believe that I could eat anything ever again. I’m sleepy.

       “Thank you, Antoine, for this wonderful supper,” I say graciously.

       He smiles. I will admit that good etiquette is normally an issue for me, but you just cannot bring yourself to be unpoised in a place such as this. It’s not possible.

      I can feel heavy bags form beneath my eyes. I bet my bed is like a thousand hugs at once, protecting me from harm in the night. 

     “I left some PJs in the bottom of your closet,” the queen tells me, “the bathroom is on the right side of your bedroom. Everything that connects to personal hygiene here was customized just for you, darling! Now, goodnight! Don’t let the bedbugs bite!”

      “Goodnight,” I respond softly.

      Rubbing my eyes and tripping over my dress, I follow Gabriel back to my bedroom.

                                                           §§§§§§

     My dreams were wonderful before this freaking glow-in-the-dark woman came in to disrupt my slumber. I groan as she calls my name for the fiftieth time to talk to me about saving the princess, blah blah blah. Honestly, I just want to sleep. Is that so much to ask?

     “Alex,” she snaps, “I need you to listen to me!”

     “But I don’t want to,” I mumble groggily, “just give me another hour, maybe. Or never.”

      The woman sighs. 

      “I didn’t want to have to do this, but you leave me no choice,” she shrugs.

      As I’m curled up in a ball, clutching my blankets for dear life, I feel myself slowly levitating upwards. Suddenly my blankets are ripped from my skin and I’m in the air.        

     “What do you want from me?” I cry.

     The woman purses her lips, and I can’t help but think that she looks familiar. She has wavy blonde, silky hair that reaches her hips, and she has fair, soft skin of glass without a single mark. She has rosy cheeks and pink lips, and her lashes are long, dark, and luxurious above her warm but magnificent brown eyes. I feel as if I’ve seen this woman before. 

      “Well, child, I’m not asking for much,” she answers quietly, “I just need you to wake the princess Nova.”

      “Right now?” I moan, “why not in the morning?”

      “Because in the mornings, Corvina awakens to drink her morning coffee,” explains the woman, “and we cannot let her know that you are in favor of saving the princess.”

      I don’t even know whether or not I am in favor of saving the princess! The queen would destroy me, and I actually like her! Then again, the kingdom is filled with millions of people who are dying of starvation because of her reign. Besides, it’s not like she’ll let me sleep until I do. 

     “Fine, I’ll help,” I sigh, “but I better live!”

     The woman beams. 

     “Be careful, child,” she warns me, “the queen has killed humans from your realm many times before. She will not hesitate to do it again.”

     I gulp, touching my neck to feel my pulse. Thanks for that, you human glow stick! Now I’m even less compelled to be here, dang it! 

    “Walk over to your window,” she instructs, “and press your palm against the glass.”

    I nod, stepping gingerly over to the window. I lift up my sweaty hands, and touch the glass solemnly. Suddenly, the window opens up a whole other room, and I tumble in!

     In this room, the walls are made of stone, and the ground is made of cold, hard cement. In the very center of the room lies a beautiful teenage girl, maybe a year older than me. She has dark olive skin, and curly brownish-black hair flowing perfectlt beneath her. Her eyes are closed. Her lashes are long and dark, and her red lips are glossy. She has a perfect button nose: small and elfish. She wears a green, velvety dress that's tearing at the seams. It’s none other than Princess Nova. 

      “Good luck, child,” I hear, as the woman fades away, “you know what you have to do.”

     She disappears from my sight, leaving me alone with an open door. Once I get back on my feet, I begin to walk cautiously over to the sleeping girl, despite the thought that I might get caught. I do not want to be heard, but I do want this to be fast.

     I’m just about to awaken the princess before I hear a sound. I look up and see -you guessed it- the queen. She looks me right in the eyes, an evil glint within hers. She taps her long, shiny black nails against the stony wall, contemplating something.

    “I thought I told you not to talk to the empress,” the queen says dangerously, “she’s bad news!”

   It’s not like the empress really left me a choice.

   “Corvina, I’m-“ I start.

    “It’s a shame that I have to do this to you,” the queen cuts my voice off, “I really liked you, Alex. But I can’t let you get in my way. Guards! Lock her up! I would like to speak with her before we decide on a punishment.”

    Knights surround my body. Tears force their way out of my eyes. 

    “Please,” I plead, “don’t do this! ”

    They say nothing, though their eyes are full of sorrow. I feel someone’s fist slam against my throat before everything turns black. Just before I go out, my wrist brushes across Nova's arm. 

September 28, 2021 18:55

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

3 comments

Nicole Of 2022
18:39 May 31, 2022

👩‍👧----> 👩🏻😵🐶👧🏻=😭 👧🏻=👩🏻‍🦰👗👠👛🐶 👩‍🦳🔪👩🏻 👩🏻‍🦰=😡🚗🐶 👩‍🦳=🤰🏼->👩🏻‍🦰 LOL A mom and daughter. A girl died. Now the girl has a dog but shes sad. She becomes an adult (Looking like cinderella LOL) (dress shoe bag etc.) Grandma kills the someone lol and cinderella is mad she grabs her dog and finds out the old lady is her mom! LOL idk what this is at all tbh pls tell me XD Im doing this in my bio now LOL

Reply

Zoey Hailey
01:53 Sep 16, 2022

sry i haven’t been on reeds for a while, but it’s cruella ahahha

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Zoey Hailey
18:56 Sep 28, 2021

I will have a message written here shortly. Link to #1- https://blog.reedsy.com/short-story/tubrp1/

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.