0 comments

Kids

Ailana and Zen were playing in the attic when they found a large box.

“Who do you think put this here?” Ailana looked around.

Everything else in the area was in small boxes.

“I would guess grandma. She liked weird things.” Zen started to open the box.

Ailana picked through some of the items. “These must be from her trips to the desert.”

“These are likely her favorite memories.” Zen sorted through the box.

“What is this?” Ailana picked up something from the bottom of the box.

“It looks like a puzzle box.” Zen looked at the object Ailana was holding.

“What should we do to open it?” Ailana ran her finger across the box. “There is a hole here.”

Zen pushed closer for a better look. “It looks like it might be a key hole.” He picked up a small piece of metal that looked like it would fit. “We should try this.”

They placed the metal piece into the slot. Two metal pieces fell off.

“How many layers are there?”

Zen looked at the pieces that had come off. “Where do you think these are from?”

“Those markings look like they would be from the desert. Are these things she formed from her adventures?” Ailana took a piece of paper and a crayon and made rubbings of the metal pieces.

“That’s the raging village over by the oasis. Did she really go that deep into the desert?”

“Her stories would suggest that she did. There is a lot of places that we don’t know if she successfully made it to them.”

Zen took out a small book. “These are the stories I wrote down. Let’s see. She was in the village three days before the flood.”

“The flood destroyed half the area didn’t it?” Ailana puzzled over the rubbings.

Zen looked at the box again. “Here is another key slot.”

They shuffled through the box and found some pieces that looked like keys. They also placed things that might be keys in another spot.

“Grandma went to all kinds of cool places.” Ailana held the pieces of the box up to the light.

“It looks like she went everywhere on this map.” Zen held a pen and compass against the map.

The steps to the attic started to squeak.

“What are you guys doing up here?” Einar looked around. “You found Lunet’s box. That puzzle box is one of my favorites.”

“Have you opened it all the way up?” Zen looked at the remaining box.

“No, Lunet hid the last keys from us. She said that it was a special gift for her family.” Einar patted Zen on the head.

“A special gift for her family? Does that mean we have a special key somewhere?” Ailana looked around the room.

“I don’t see anything that would be a special key. Are we sure that there is something special in that box?” Zen held the box in the light.

They opened three more layers. The three after that looked different then the others.

“Why are these different?” Ailana held the new layers up against the light in one hand and the older layers in the other.

“They even take the light differently.” Zen pointed to the prisms cast by the new layers.

“Wow, that’s pretty.” Ailana began adjusting the light. “This is so cool.”

Zen set the map under the light. “It looks like it points something out on the map.”

Ailana moved the pieces to light the map. “Isn’t that where the raging village was?”

Zen studied where the largest shadow fell. “That does look like it; however, there are no real records of them.”

Einar looked out the window. “Of course, there are no records. The village was never supposed to be.”

“What do you mean?” Zen puzzled over the idea.

Einar took a piece of paper and set it on the map. “The villages farther north never wanted it there. Several of the elders set troops to stop the build completely. That is why after the flood there was no attempt to rebuild. The rumor was that they sent an enter camp to stop the rebuild.”

“Did grandma have something to do with the people of the village?”

“The rumor of the village itself is complex. There are few who know who lived there or what they were doing.”

“What do you think is in this last part of the box?” Ailana placed the last of the box on the map.

“There is only one way to find out.” Zen looked over the box and found a metal piece that fit inside the small hole.

“That’s?” Einar looked over the box as it opened.

“Is it a gem from the village?” Ailana picked up the ring from the opened box.

“What is a gem from the village doing here?”

“Einar, what did they use the gems for?” Ailana looked towards him.

“The rumor was that they were signs of great wealth. Very few were ever found.” Einar tried to keep his voice calm.

“What rumor is there of the village that makes you so afraid?” Zen looked Einar deep in the eyes.

“It’s not so much the rumors of the village as to who would have been able to keep a gem.” Einar took a deep breath. “In the past, the soldiers took everything away from the villagers. They regularly raided the village.”

“So there would only be a few people that would be able to keep the gem safe from the soldiers. Would grandma really keep such a thing?” Ailana looked at Zen.

“It was a grand gift. Though she might not have seen what was in the box.” Myrtle walked into the room.

“What do you mean?” Einar looked at Myrtle.

“You really shouldn’t be here, Einar. You know Lunet didn’t want you in the family business.” Myrtle walked towards them. “It is best that you leave now.”

Einar stood up. “Fine. I should be at the festival soon anyways.”

“What do you mean? I thought Grandma liked Einar?” Ailana looked at Myrtle.

“Lunet did not like that Einar paid so much attention to the family. He has been trying to find out who your grandfather is for a long time. She likely never tried to open the box.”

“Why would she do that? This is so pretty. Wouldn’t she want to have this?” Ailana looked over the box.

“It was a present from a person she loved. It didn’t’ matter what was in it.” Myrtle giggled. “She was excited about the thought.”

“So she excepted the gift without even opening it?” Zen looked at the marks. “But aren’t these from her adventures?”

“She had a secret travel partner that people didn’t know about. We believed that they were more than that but never proved it.” Myrtle held the ring in the light. “This is a precious find. I wonder how long it took for him to find it.”

Zen looked at the ring. “The inscription reads ‘to my dearest friend’. What kind of friend would you keep secret?”

Myrtle looked out the window. “A precious one that you didn’t want to harm. The man that could have kept this safe would have been a target of the lords that wanted to close the village. If they had found out that he had dealings with Lunet, they could have easily gotten him thrown off the council. He wouldn’t have been able to continue his work if they had found out.”

“That still doesn’t make sense. To have gotten this kind of gift but not to have ever tried to open it?” Ailana looked at the box.

“But if she was afraid of people like Einar finding out, would she have had time to opened it?” Zen sheepishly looked at Myrtle. “What will happen now?”

Myrtle smiled. “Nothing now. That story is extremely old. There isn’t anything he can do with the information.”

“Why did you throw him out then?” Ailana stared at Myrtle.

Myrtle laughed. “The inscription might have read something a little more personal. She didn’t like him hanging around. Really, I just threw him out for the fun of it. Lunet tolerated him much more than I ever will.” Myrtle shrugged and walked towards the stairs.

“What about the ring?”

“Put it back into the box until you have a use for it or wear it. I’m sure it is a treasured gift. Lunet would have wanted her grandchildren to have it. I’m sure her friend would enjoy that as well.” Myrtle laughed.

May 25, 2020 20:39

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in Reedsy Studio. 100% free.