The Eaves I've Been Dropping.

Submitted into Contest #119 in response to: Write a story that involves eavesdropping.... view prompt

2 comments

Fiction Funny Inspirational

“You’re doing it again.” My husband whispers, stretching his hand across the table to stroke mine. 

“What?” I looked up from my untouched coffee for the first time since we sat down. 

“Listening.”

“You know I can’t help it.” a sigh escapes my lips. Since I was a child I’ve heard everything around me. Especially the things no one else wants me to hear. You’d think that that would be an advantage, right? Well you’d be wrong. Answering the questions that no one actually asked doesn’t make you very popular. Never being able to focus on the conversation you’re actually trying to have because of all the background noise that no one is actually making will drive you mad fast. 

Over the years I’ve learned how to tune it out. Much like anyone else can tune out the hum of the refrigerator in the kitchen or the road sounds in the car. But some days a word or phrase catches my attention and I lose myself in someone else's mind. Other days I’m just too tired to focus enough to tune it all out. Today is one of those days. 

“Are you at least hearing something interesting?” He smiles softly in support. 

“Well, the woman at the table by the door is having an affair. I can hear her reading text messages from her lover.” I nod in her direction “Uh oh, her husband is calling now.” Now, we both can’t help but turn towards her, just catching the panicked look on her face as I hear him say he knows. Turning back the right way in my seat I shrug. It’s not the first time I’ve heard that. 

“The barista has been skimming off the register. She’s counting now, seeing how much she can take without anyone noticing. Oh, nevermind, she’s going for the communal tip jar now.” Pointing my coffee mug in her direction, I guide my husband's gaze just as the young girl empties the jar into her apron. 

“Do you ever think about stopping the people you hear thinking something like that?” He takes a long drag of his steaming beverage. 

“When I was younger I did, but it never ended well for me.” I shrunk in my seat, hearing so much was exhausting. “Are you ready to go home?”

“Yeah, I’ll meet you outside.” He kisses the top of my head as he walks around my chair towards the register. 

“Andrew, you know you can’t have a brownie.”

“Hey, I thought you didn’t get involved!” 

“I don’t have to hear your thoughts to know what you were thinking.” I wink at him before heading towards the door.

I dig the earplugs from my pocket and pop them in my ears before walking out the door. Music in the earbuds, noise canceling headphones, cotton balls, foam earplugs, even custom made silicone plugs. I’ve tried it all. It took almost a decade to realize that the problem wasn’t exactly auditory, but the foam earplugs I picked up at the shooting range seemed to be the most effective. At the very least they give the illusion of noise control while we make the short walk back to our apartment. 

Just like any other day, the sidewalk is flooded with a sea of people. A churning cacophony of sound. For the thousandth time I imagine what it would be like to move to a cabin on the top of a mountain. I doubt bears and mountain lions think as much as the residents of New York City. What I would give to experience that kind of silence. 

God, she’s beautiful. How did I get so lucky?

Andrew wraps his hand possessively around my waist. I can never tell if he thinks these things on purpose because he knows I can hear him or if these are his genuine thoughts. Either way, it never fails to pull my lips into a smile. As we walk his thoughts fade into the chatter around us. 

I can see his wallet. I’m almost close enough… One more step…

I slide my hand around Andrew’s waist and slyly grab his buttcheek. He doesn’t need to know I really did it to protect his wallet from the pick-pocket behind us. With a laugh he pulls me closer and kisses the top of my head. 

“Wait until we get home” he teases me quietly. 

At the next corner the mass of people comes to a halt when the traffic lights change. A single voice continues towards the road. I look around and see a teenage boy, face in his phone, headphones in, singing along to the unfamiliar song in his head. Completely unaware of the world around him. Discreetly, I push myself close enough to grab the hood of his sweatshirt. Thankfully that’s enough to get him to stop just before stepping off the curb. Before he can turn around I slip away.

My favorite part of the walk between the coffee shop and our apartment is the small park nestled between two apartment buildings. The sounds of children lost in their imagination is always a welcome respite to the monotony of the rest of the city. My smile fades a bit when I remember it’s eleven am on a tuesday. There won’t be many children playing, if any. 

Oh no! The dragon is guarding the tower! How will I get down! 

A girl about seven years old stands at the top of the slide. Her blonde hair blowing slightly in the breeze. Her face is a mask of bravery as she fights off the invisible dragon preventing her from sliding down. A coughing fit brings her out of her imagination when she hits the bottom of the slide. 

If I can just scrounge up ten more dollars I can pick up her new inhaler. Maybe Monica will loan me a bit more. 

A blonde woman is sitting on the park's only bench with her head resting on her hands.  When a gust of wind pulls a receipt up out of her open purse an idea strikes. Fishing out my own wallet I grab a twenty dollar bill and crumple it in my hand. 

“What are you doing?” Andrew asks when he sees the money. 

“Wait here.” I leave him on the sidewalk while I rush to pluck the receipt from the tiny bit of grass surrounding the park. “Ma’am, the wind blew this out of your purse!”

“Oh, thanks. Sorry about that.” She grabs the folded receipt from my hand and I skip away before she has a chance to notice the money hidden inside. 

“I thought you didn’t get involved?”

“I don’t.” I pull him along again, getting lost in the crowd before she can find me again. I truly try not to get involved. I don’t think I was given this ability for any greater reason than it just happened. I don’t believe it is anymore my responsibility to save the world than it is every person’s responsibility to make the world a good place to be. But if I can use the gift to brighten someone's day every now and again, maybe that is doing my part to make this world a better place.

November 13, 2021 04:53

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

05:17 Nov 18, 2021

Very Sweet Story! It was probably your intention the reader (me) would find the story's ending to be the main objective of the plot, but I'm a romantic blessed with a husband who can read my mind and knows my thoughts (not literally, as in your story, but still). So, to me the main objective of the plot was his acceptance of her gift/curse, and their relationship in the midst of it. Great job!

Reply

Liza Blake
18:06 Nov 18, 2021

I’m glad that you got that out of the story, because acceptance on both ends was heavy on my heart writing this. I am the worlds worth eaves dropper, so this is loosely based on real life. My husband is ALWAYS catching me listening to everyone around me and has to lovingly redirect me back to the task at hand.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.